HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:35:20 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 18, 2019  (Read 6790 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 03:05:11 PM »

I’m curious to see what Perry thinks. 

I am too
 Grin

And I haven't read the spoiler yet, but I kinda have an idea what it maybe about as I have been thinking about it the entire time I have been reading this. Or I think it maybe the same anyway.
 Grin

And I want to (partially) recant what I said above about Bendis and the Legion. I have not read it yet so I should, as of now, keep my thoughts on the entire Bendis thing to myself. I am sure I will come back with the same or at least similar response, but maybe not. I do tend to enjoy the same stuff Jeff does, but there are, of course, always differences. I let that fact and Bendis history into full account and that was my reason for the post, but I still should have waited to read the thing before judging. For that, I am sorry.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »

Looks like I FOR SURE need to get to the comic shop and pick up my Doomsday Clock books!

And if Jeff's Legion thoughts are anything, I guess it counted down to the end of hope for that book!

*rimshot!!*

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 04:00:42 AM »

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds 6
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4

X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts 4
Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men 5
X-Force (2018)  9

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batman 85 - Man that was a long journey. But a good ending.  I’m satisfied with the end of this and left wanting more.  Thumbs up for the City of Bane.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »

Excalibur #4
Flash Forward #4
Legion of Super-Heroes #2
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »

Oh!!! X-23 ended at 12!!! Now I have to go see what happens next!!

And I looked;

They both went on to join X-men Red, which according to Wikipedia, was a hugely acclaimed series. Now I'm going to start reading that too!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »

Well, probably not going to get much more in before midnight tonight, although I may finish the Bat mini ... I highly doubt it though. So it looks like this will be the end for this week, and almost for the year  Shocked Shocked

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth #1 - Decided to try the latest Black Label title. Pretty cool!
Batman #85 - A pretty good darn ending to a way too damn long story  Undecided
Batman: Last Knight on Earth #1 (of 3) - This is going to be fun!!! The last Snyder/Capullo Bat story
Detective Comics #1015 - An okay read, but now that I have to buy ?? This is going on the wait list
Doomsday Clock #11
Doomsday Clock #12
- Man, so good. Now I have to go read Jeff's spoiler after posting this before I forget.  Grin
LoSH (The Bendis Years  Undecided) #2 - Okay, yeah, I did it. I had to try. For the love of the Legion I had to try. This one pick up may have just saved me a ton of money in the future, so that is good at least. Ya know, it isn't just the story, or the costumes that I don't recognize or the aliens that I don't recognize or the characters that I don't recognize, it is also the art. I'm not saying the art isn't "good", but damn if it isn't hard to read. The mashing of panels, the packing of those panels with as many characters as you can is part of it for me, but the color ... it is so ... bright and muted at the same time? How can that be? I don't know, but I am struggling to see these pages. And it isn't JUST my old ass eyes
 Angry

Doomsday Clock #3
Doomsday Clock #4
Doomsday Clock #5

Doomsday Clock #6
Doomsday Clock #7
Doomsday Clock #8
Doomsday Clock #9
Doomsday Clock #10

EDIT to add -
Doomsday Clock 12 ... But it is also clear that he had to change part of it to accommodate
Bendis’ Legion of Super-Heroes
so now it doesn’t make sense.  Well, I guess it can still work but obviously not what John’s had originally intended.

I agree and that sucks. It sucks that Bendis got the Legion first of all, and it sucks even more that Johns or Hickman is not getting it.
Yes, they wiped out the latest Legion again, and I would be okay with that ... if they had a decent reboot in mind, but, as Jeff was talking about, I don't think they had to do this. Legion 1.5 as they call them now, the Legion after the Legion of 3 Worlds (pretty much the Silver/Bronze Age Legion but with Karate Kid now), would have been great to bring back, but now we get this Legion 4 crap with aliens that look like ... yeah, aliens (I know it should be the right way to do it but it isn't damn it) and these totally new characters that are just plain stupid looking. Yeah, I'm an old curmudgeon but why must we change all over again? I understand that Bendis has adopted a few kids of color, great! Good for him, and I understand how he wants to have people of color in comics for his kids to look up to. I get that, and there is, of course, no problem having Lightning Lad now be a person of color, but why do I get the feeling that Bendis will go and be all Bendisy and make his sister a totally different person of color and make them adopted siblings?

Yeah, no desire to read Bendis' Legion as I think he is pretty bad at writing group/team books anyway. Add in the art/coloring issues and stupid ass aliens ... I will wait another 20 years for Legion 5.0 to arrive.

As for the last page or so ... I was spoiled on it a few months ago so ...

That said, no way.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 06:48:48 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »

ComiXolgy
Deathstroke 50
Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds 6
Inferior Five 4
Doctor Mirage 4
Killers 5
Psi-Lords 6
Die 9
Family Tree 1
Gideon Falls 18
Sea of Stars 5
Fallen Angels 4
New Mutants 4

X-Force 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 2
Doomsday Clock 12
Batman 85

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts 4
Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men 5
X-Force (2018)  9

------------------------------------------------------------------------

X-Force (2019) 4 - Holy Crap!!!  I did not see that last page coming!!  As shocking as that was, my favorite part of this has to be the names of all of Xavier's companies.  Especially..
Wolverine Waste Management
   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Legion of Super-Heroes 2 - Wow. I don't think I"m the target audience for this.  You know, Legion fan.  This is not the Hickman Legion I was hoping for.  So far, I like Saturn Girl and Wildfire but I have no interest in any of the other knock off's.  And when I saw the last page my gut reaction was..."NO......No, No, No, No, NO!"  It's way too early to introduce THAT character into this world.  I'm not dropping this yet but unless something changes my mind I don't think I'll be here for long.  And that makes me very, very sad.

Doomsday Clock 12 - So many things to process here.  I'll have to come back to this later.

Legion #2... I felt the hype around Aquaman's trident was a huge disappointment. I am still struggling to identify members with their updated looks. And like you stated, that last page "guest" is a big UGH!!!!
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2019, 06:02:11 AM »

I got in two more before the witching hour:

Marvel Unlimited
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Princess Leia
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Grand Moff Tarkin

——————————————————————————————————-

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Princess Leia - nice little bounty hunter story.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Grand Moff Tarkin - interesting look into Tarkins past and what motivates him.  I liked it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS