HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:58:25 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kings of the Wyld  (Read 16816 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: December 05, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »

Perry, I'm through chapter 3.

More to come. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »

I don’t often do audio books-so what happens as I listen is that I process it different than reading. A good narrator-which I believe this one to be-has to set the characters apart, and emphasize something in the story for me to connect with. I mean, duh, that’s not any different than actual reading, but this is a different act of stimulus absorption. The passive act of listening versus the physical act of reading. Comprehension and processing occur differently.

For me, with listening, I have to approach the story as if I’m...I don’t know, there? Involved directly? Something that has hit right away is comparing my life to Clay’s; in that where he is in life is not what he thought life would be-nor does he know how life should be. He knows nothing can change the past, and the past has no more bearing on the right now than the decision he made this morning to get up and do the the same thing again.

If anything, I find this to be a bit of a resonance for me. I’m only 40, but sometimes my thoughts are already putting me into my grave. We bought a new home, moved in...and in 2 months, we have water in the basement that has ruined a good part of the carpet of the finished side of the basement. Apparently there aren’t any lemon house laws, there was nothing reported, and what we have...is what we have. With all the other debt and worries we have (just bought a house, mweans we still don’t have any more money!), had to 2 get new vehicles this last year, and concerns over growing son about his anxieties, and putting fears to wondering if it’s autism spectrum concerns, all I can think is ‘So, this is as good as it gets. I can get no better than this. I will not ‘get ahead.’ Hell, I may not even get ahead of what my parents did. Is this all there is? This is depressing.’

Wow

That’s a bit to unload.

But I feel a bit like I can walk in Clay’s shoes. So I want to know more about his journey and what he’ll do with it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 05:44:47 PM »

Alright, I left for a second to listen to chapter 3 to gain a better understanding on where you were in the book (I always stress how my memory is poor, but remember what happens in what chapter is something I never possessed  Cheesy) and by the time I get back you posted again.
 Grin

So I'm gonna come at this in two parts. Beginning with the most important. the life side of things.

My man, I can't stress this enough, do not worry about the house. Deal with what you can when you can, without letting things get too bad, but do not let stress about the new home get to you. You can always, and I mean always - at anytime, fix things. No matter how bad or how long it may take. As long it is not structural where you fear the house may fall on you, don't give yourself any another burden when it comes to that.

Even if you have to tear down each and every finished wall to coat the block with "water stop", even if you have to dig the side out to get proper drainage, don't sweat it. You are going to have tons of things that need fixing in an old home, though admittedly maybe not as bad as what you are dealing with at the get go. But don't worry. You must save your heart.
 Grin
(and your sanity)

Also, no home buyers protection in your state? When you get a new mortgage you are offered a insurance that covers the first year from most things. Is that not a thing there or did you, like I, not want to go that route? I know I chose not to take it as it added like $8 dollars a month onto my mortgage and it only covered the first year, but man was I in need of it when two days after we closed and about a week before moving in the water heater exploded and the water (which was throughout the entire first floor) stayed on the carpet too long and it ... ugh ... everything needed replaced. Water Heater, Carpet, panels of sub-floor and the baseboards. Of course that was in October and then three (or maybe four) months later the outside air handler for the heating/ac froze. yeah, we went through a butt load of money all because I, in my infinite wisdom, wanted to save less then $10 monthly.
 Angry Angry

However, 20 plus years later and all is better. Sure we are due for another housing cost soon  Cheesy, but nothing like the stress of first time buying and having things fall apart. I know what you must be going through and my stuff was not as potentially bad as yours, but you will get through. You will. Just stay the course, smile when you can and love the family. Things work out. The more stress you place the more things seem to go wrong as well. No idea why.
 Grin

That being said, I am thinking of you guys. Best of luck, my man

Now onto the second part.
 Grin

Okay, so I know where you are now and
The journey is set to begin!!!
 Grin

By the time you meet ... someone else, I will have a better understanding of how you feel about the book, but I think you are starting to see why I wanted you guys to 'listen' to it rather than just read it. I wanted us all to have the same experience and reading this book, while I am sure would have been just as enjoyable (but as you stated, in a different way) would not have hit in the way listening to this will. This narrator is very good at ... his job  Cheesy, and to me, Much like the audio for IT, it adds to the book greatly. Makes a very good book an incredible experience. If you get me.

Hope you find it even more enjoyable as you go. I am on chapter 39 now (about 3/4 of the way through) but I found myself, when re-listening to chapter 3 to see where you are at, getting so into it again I listened to chapter 4 and almost chapter 5 before I stopped myself.
 Grin

I can tell this is going to get a reread, probably as you guys are going through for the first time.

And hey, anyone else out there ... Go get this book and join in!!!!
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »

I'm on Chapter 3 as well.  Where Clay's daughter unwittingly guilts him into taking on the journey.  Dang kids get you every time.   Cheesy

I listen to it on the drive home and my mind tends to wander mid-drive so I wind up backing it up to catch up with what I missed.  Might take me a little longer than most to get through.   Smiley

And Jimmy - I'll ditto Perry's comment on the house.  I'm on my second and while both of ours were new builds I can attest that it doesn't matter.  You still have things that need fixing.  It never ends so no need stressing on it.  Eventually you'll just groan with irritation and then just deal with it. But only rare things are in urgent need of repair.  Just my 2 cents.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »

I listen to it on the drive home and my mind tends to wander mid-drive so I wind up backing it up to catch up with what I missed. 

Cheesy
I do that ALL THE TIME!!!  Grin I would be at least 8 books ahead of where I am now if my head would only pay attention to the sounds coming from my car speakers.
 Grin

30 second rewind is my best friend.

Hope you are also enjoying what little you have heard. It gets truly fun here soon.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 01:30:26 AM »

Hey guys thanks for the cool headed advice. It hit well, and I'm trying to heed it.

Also I'm on chapter 14.i had no payments today. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »

You are rolling! I just hit up chapter 13 for a quick listen and WOW, it is incredible, looking back, how much happens between where you were at chapter 3 and just ten chapters later. I didn't realize all that happened in just ten chapters when I listened through the first time
 Shocked

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 01:26:52 PM »

I'm starting Chapter 22

2 things that are really sticking out for me, in memory and laughter:

Merrick's funeral, with the big Northener ready to get into Clay's face, he quickly steps forward, and growls 'Fucking try it'. That narrator's growl really sold it right there. A very cool moment where the written word and intention gelled amazingly so with the narrator's voice.

'Clay wasn't worried. Gallanon's tankard was still in his hand. He'd only get nervous if he wasn't holding his drink anymore. Then Clay would get scared about what happens next.

.....Then, later, at the bar, just after it was screamed 'I KNOW WHAT A FUCKING EAGLE SOUNDS LIKE!' and the bar got real quiet. And in the ensuing silence, the only sound here was Gallanon putting his tankard down.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 04:37:17 PM »

OMG!  I’m still on chapter 3!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »

OMG!  I’m still on chapter 3!

Well what the heck!?!?! Are you not listening while in the shower? That's an easy way to get through at least a chapter right there.  Grin Or listening while exercising, like on the treadmill? Or when driving to the store or to work? Or while AT work?  Cheesy Or while cooking? Or during commercials? Or ...  Wink
Chapters 2 through 10 are each under 20 minutes. I can get a chapter in just driving to the local 7-11 ... and they are on every block here
 Grin

Just kidding, of course.

I'm sure you've just been busy. It happens, my man.  Cool Plus it has only been, what, two days or so? No problem.
But I hope you are not reading the spoilers here so when you do find time to listen you will get the full enjoyment Smiley.
I also don't want to discuss much as spoilers can be too tempting at times so maybe Jimmy and I can PM each other just to be safe until we know you are passed a certain point? Like chapter 4?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
ZING!!!!
 Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'm starting Chapter 22

Man, you are rolling!! You're almost at the halfway point  Cool

I just finished #45. Only a couple more chapters to go now  Cry Cry Cry Cry But Hell, Jimmy, you may catch me
 Grin
Maybe Jeff will join us soon ??  Wink  Tongue KissCheesy Cheesy Cheesy
ZING part 2: The Return of Zing
 Cheesy Cheesy

And yes, Jimmy, the narrator is doing a truly bang-up job. He sets the tone and humor and fun and ... so much for me. Now true, I could have "Read" the book and possibly got the same from it, or even more, perhaps, but I highly doubt it. This dudes pacing and tones ... yeah. Good stuff. Only Steven Weber on IT was better (have I said that before?)
 Grin

And ... oh, look away Jeff  Grin ... close your eyes ....

Jimmy, ... and Moog? Ha, love that guy
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 04:08:54 AM »

Yeah,2 very light days of work schedule, 30 minute car drive each way, and waiting for kids to fall asleep, and not wanting to watch or engage the Cars movie for the 7th time this week means I play the book a lot.

But I'm only chapter 25 today. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »

But I'm only chapter 25 today. Cheesy

Slacker  Cheesy Cheesy

You have most certainly gone through faster than I had.  Grin

I am here to report sad news however. Well not sad sad news, but kind of disappointing news. And while I will not go into details here yet, until all have reached where I am (so maybe Jimmy by now  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy) I have just come across my first issue with the book. Actually my first two issues. What is even worse still is that they hit within two or three chapters of each other (Oh, I am just hitting chapter 49 ... only 5 or 6 more to go  Sad  Cry)

Will these two ... things ruin this book for me? Not in the slightest (well, okay, slightly I suppose). I still find his book to be ever so enjoyable and the two issues I have (though I am almost 100% sure Jimmy will share in at least one of my feelings) may not be something that others find troubling at all.

The good news is the issues in question are not in the narration or the way the book is written, but two events that happened that I wish -

A) The first didn't happen at all
and
B) Happened very differently

... so technically I guess it is in the way the book is written  Cheesy but I'm fine with it by in large. Not a major complaint (maybe the second one  Cheesy) but it is not going to spoil the book or anything.

But now, writing this out and thinking on it more, while the first one is, again, more a personal preference issue, that second issue may cause me to deduct my grade of this book, on a scale of 100, by a good 5 points ... if not a tad more ... so in a way it is a major thing. At least to me. And probably ... maybe Jimmy
 Grin

But again, here ready to start Chapter 49 I can report all is essentially well and good!!
 Grin
As of now, with about 5 chapters left, even with the deduction, I would grade this a very solid 93 or 92 so still almost a perfect book for me. So yeah, all is still fine in Grandual!
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 02:01:30 PM »

As I've been listening, and just getting the narrator's voice, I'd agree that it sounds like Granduel, but then I sometimes "hear" it as Grand Jewel.

Let's see if I put that in your ear instead. I haven't gone online to see the spelling of it. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 02:52:09 PM »

I posted links to the map, Jimmy.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
And don't put that kinda stuff in my head!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »

Man, I hope that last post didn't come off as being harsh.

I was trying to convey a joking manner, but looking at it ... I'm not sure.

I wish text came with sound.
 Smiley

Hope that didn't hit wrong, Jimmy

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS