HR Boards
April 16, 2024, 05:48:54 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 20, 2019  (Read 5682 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:07 PM »

The year is closing to an end rather quickly.  Seems like just yesterday we were ringing in the new year.

Here's what I'm reading this week as I ramp down to the coming holidays.  Gonna reread those first two Batman & the Outsiders comics to decide if I want to buy the next issues or wait on it.

ComiXolgy
Excalibur #2
Batman #83
Flash Forward #3
Ascender 6
Criminal 9
Doctor Mirage 3
Batman & the Outsiders 1 (Re-read)
Batman & the Outsiders 2 (Re-read)
Detective Comics #1011
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
Detective Comics #1014
Detective Comics #1015
The Boys Vol 4: We Gotta Go Now (Collects issues 23-30)

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Nextgen #4
Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men #4
Black Widow #5
Guardians of the Galaxy #5
Immortal Hulk #17
Old Man Quill #5
Spider-Man: Life Story #3
Star Wars: Age Of Rebellion - Lando Calrissian #1
Uncanny X-Men #18
War of the Realms #4

========================================

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:21:25 AM »

Captain Marvel #12
Flash Forward #3
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:58:32 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur #2
Batman #83
Flash Forward #3

Ascender 6
Criminal 9
Doctor Mirage 3
Detective Comics #1011
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
Detective Comics #1014
Detective Comics #1015

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #5
Immortal Hulk #17
Old Man Quill #5
Uncanny X-Men #18
War of the Realms #4

Excalibur #2 - I think I've decided to wait until this hits MU to continue.  I think this one is a writer problem.  The dialogue is too simplistic.  I like reading about Betsy but the story isn't really hitting with me.

Batman #83 - Man, Tom King can drag out a story.  This whole issue could have been covered in a couple of pages but he's trying to drag out the impact.  It sets up for the next big battle for next issue which I hope is really the last battle between these two characters.

Flash Forward #3 - And I'm done.  Just not a fun story to read, at least not for me.  I imagine Wally will be redeemed by the end but I just can't waste my time with this anymore when there are other much better books I want to get to.

Ascender 6 - This series is so much creepier than it's predecessor.  And I like it.  Good to see the old characters regathering.  Assuming they can stay alive!

Criminal 9 - Back to Ricky and Leo with some new character progression for Leo.  I wish THIS comic came out twice a month!

Doctor Mirage 3 - I like this character but not this story.  I'll see it through to the end but it's not a must have for your Valiant list.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:59:12 AM »

Captain Marvel #12
Flash Forward #3

Let us know what you think of Flash Forward.  I'm not a fan, unfortunately.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 03:11:05 PM »

Captain Marvel #12
Flash Forward #3

The first issue was really good. I love the character of Tempus Fuginaut. The second issue sucked but issue#3 reads like an old hypertime tale with alternate versions of the big 3. In the end, I hope DC keeps Wally's kids in limbo and not bring them back. I thought Heroes in Crisis was mediocre and too long ( why nine issues long?). I think that is trying to undo that damage.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:37:09 PM »

Captain Marvel #12
Flash Forward #3

The first issue was really good. I love the character of Tempus Fuginaut. The second issue sucked but issue#3 reads like an old hypertime tale with alternate versions of the big 3. In the end, I hope DC keeps Wally's kids in limbo and not bring them back. I thought Heroes in Crisis was mediocre and too long ( why nine issues long?). I think that is trying to undo that damage.

Agreed.  They should just have Doctor Manhattan erase it in Doomsday Clock.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 02:15:47 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur #2
Batman #83
Flash Forward #3

Ascender 6
Criminal 9
Doctor Mirage 3

Detective Comics #1011
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
Detective Comics #1014
Detective Comics #1015

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #5
Immortal Hulk #17
Old Man Quill #5
Uncanny X-Men #18
War of the Realms #4

Batman & the Outsiders 1 & 2 - Oh that's right.  I wanted to read this because it's pretty good.   Grin  I'll get this Ras Al Ghul arc.

The Boys Vol 4: We Gotta Go Now (Collects issues 23-30) - This was a good arc.  Poor G-Men.  Hughie is becoming the man.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 03:32:49 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur #2
Batman #83
Flash Forward #3

Ascender 6
Criminal 9
Doctor Mirage 3

Detective Comics #1011
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
Detective Comics #1014
Detective Comics #1015

Marvel Unlimited

Black Widow #5
Immortal Hulk #17
Old Man Quill #5
Uncanny X-Men #18
War of the Realms #4

Age of X-Man: Nextgen #4 - This has been the surprise hit for me of this event.  Really like Glob in this, if you can believe it.

Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men #4 - Main story is coming to a head.  These events are too long though.  Even when I like them I start to grow tired of them by the end.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:33:49 AM »

Batman & the Outsiders 1 & 2 - Oh that's right ...

And so it begins.   Wink

Soon enough you will be as bad as I. Forgetting things like what happened in books you read a mere month ago and how many Legionaries were on the "Three Boot/Final Crisis" Legion (it's 49 by the way)
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 01:31:49 PM »

Trying to knock out some last issues as well as dipping my toes in new stuff this week

Family Tree #1 - Lemire's newest horror title drawn by Phil Hester. Off to a decent enough start  Smiley
Dollhouse Family #1 - One of the new titles from Joe Hills horror line, not written by him. Was a'ight
Basketful of Heads #1 - This one was written by him. Also, okay. I'm gonna wait on the entire line, I think
Island of Dr. Moreau #2 - Absolutley stunning art and such a sad story. As an animal lover, the book, the movie and now the comic always makes an impact on my "feels". Yep Just wish the movie would have been done right.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Event Leviathan #6 - Yeah, okay, liked it well enough, but cool, its over. What? More coming?  Roll Eyes
DCeased #6 - This is another title that has a sequel coming and man, they better not screw it up. I really, really, really enjoyed the hell out of this story. Great impact. Lots of Feels this week so far
 Grin

Ghost Rider #2 - Now that I am ... limited on my new releases  Undecided I have to be a little more conscious of what I spend time on. I'm enjoying this too much to wait. This is on the pull. It isn't ground breaking or anything close to that. Just good art and a cool story featuring a Marvel character I really dig. This is my FF right now.  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 01:33:28 AM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur #2
Batman #83
Flash Forward #3

Ascender 6
Criminal 9
Doctor Mirage 3

Detective Comics #1011
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
Detective Comics #1014
Detective Comics #1015

Marvel Unlimited

Black Widow #5
Immortal Hulk #17
Old Man Quill #5
Uncanny X-Men #18
War of the Realms #4

Detective Comics #1011 - End of the Deadshot arc.  Fun little story.  Thumbs up.  Liked the lost WWII vets he found on the island.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur #2
Batman #83
Flash Forward #3

Ascender 6
Criminal 9
Doctor Mirage 3

Detective Comics #1011
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
Detective Comics #1014
Detective Comics #1015

Marvel Unlimited

Black Widow #5
Immortal Hulk #17
Old Man Quill #5
Uncanny X-Men #18
War of the Realms #4

Detective Comics #1012-1015 - Mr & Mrs Freeze arc.  I like it!  A really good Mr Freeze 🥶 story where once again you should be careful what you wish for!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »

ComiXolgy
Excalibur #2
Batman #83
Flash Forward #3

Ascender 6
Criminal 9
Doctor Mirage 3

Detective Comics #1011
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
Detective Comics #1014
Detective Comics #1015

Marvel Unlimited

Black Widow #5
Immortal Hulk #17

Old Man Quill #5
Uncanny X-Men #18
War of the Realms #4

Black Widow #5 - End of the mini.  I'll give it a B- overall.  Decent story but not a must read.

Guardians of the Galaxy #5 - Love seeing Beta Ray's "friend" back in a story.  Interesting turn of events for the Thanos family.

Immortal Hulk #17 - This comic just gets creepier and creepier.  I bet Stan Lee would have loved this.  I always got the feeling his original Hulk was meant to be more horror-like.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »

Immortal Hulk #17 - This comic just gets creepier and creepier. 

That is the next run I have to get caught up on. Really enjoying it and I can't wait to see what he (Al Ewing) does with Guardians of the Galaxy. He did great with The Ultimates, taking Galactus and mak... well, lets just say going a different direction  Cheesy.  I think the Cosmic side of Marvel is about to get really cool.

Speaking of Guardians ...

Guardians of the Galaxy #9
Guardians of the Galaxy #10
Guardians of the Galaxy #11
- Hate to say it, but this Cate's book has waned on me over the last few. 1 more issue though
Savage Sword of Conan #7
Savage Sword of Conan #8
Savage Sword of Conan #9
Savage Sword of Conan #10
Savage Sword of Conan #11
- Also only one more of this title. A good thing, even though I like it. One Conan title is enough
Invisible Woman #4 - So glad this mini happened. Not that it's great in a ground-breaking way, but that it is nice to get a member of the FF, my favorite one in fact, get a well written story ... FOR A CHANGE!!!!
 Undecided

Batman Universe #5 - NOOOooooo. This series, one that was so fun, and I mean fun, with it's first four issues, just totally went Bendis on me. Batman so out of character, making jokes (in regular Bendis fashion) just ... crap. There was one cool spread of Batman and ... a guest
Nightwing
fighting through hallways of henchmen that was really cool and well done artistically, so yes the art is still highly enjoyable, but reading this issue ... I can no longer put this on my "Gonna Buy" list.

Gideon Falls #14
Gideon Falls #15
Gideon Falls #16
Gideon Falls #17
Gideon Falls #18
- man this is good. But man it takes me what seems like forever to remember what is going on here  Grin. It isn't complicated, it is a pretty straightforward
parallel dimensions
type of story, but man, I don't remember what is what and who is who until I get to the second or third issue of my long reads  Cheesy. Going to reread this when it is all over. Really get into the story better than I am now. It is good, its just on my memory I blame the problem.
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 12:25:18 AM »

Please know that I do love just reading about you guys posting about comics. Love reading them!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS