HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:37:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Watchmen - HBO Series  (Read 5287 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 19, 2019, 10:11:33 PM »

Just now getting to this one.

Episode 1 "It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice" - Great start to this series but man is it STRANGE!  Not sure what I think about the theme of this show but it will definitely make for compelling television.

This could easily take a nose dive if not handled properly just because of the subject matter alone.  The first episode does a good job setting it up.  I'm not really seeing a tie-in yet with the original Watchmen other then this is just setup in that world.  There are no characters in here yet that are from the original.  I have a suspicion on one character who might be from the original team but time will tell.

Nice cliff hanger and looking forward to watching the next episode!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:39 PM »

LOVE THIS SHOW

And Jeff, as for characters from the comic, I am pretty sure this happened in the first episode, but you may want to wait and read this after the second ...
I do believe that the show Dr Manhattan on Mars building and then destroying a sandcastle
and ... well ... that's all I will say for now.

The show is fantastic. And yes, the comic is the bible for this show. It does nothing but expand on it.

SO GOOD!!!!

Waiting for episode 6 now ... HURRY!!!
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:29:43 PM »

Episode 5 was the best one yet.  Killing me to wait for episode 6!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 04:24:21 AM »

Episode 6 was great and I should have come by and posted about it.  In fact it was awesome.

But I just finished episode 7 and   Shocked Shocked  Shocked Shocked  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Holy effing mother of pearl!!!!!!!  I did NOT see that coming!   I am totally completely blown away right now!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »

Have to wait for the wife to get home from work to watch Ep6. We don't stay up to watch it the night of because we are old and tired and tired of being old
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 04:18:35 AM »

I just watched the “old” Watchman movie.  Can’t believe it’s only been 10 years since it came out. Feels longer.  I just wanted to refresh my memory to help in looking for winks and nods in the new series.  The movie is a lot better than I remembered.  Of course it was hard not to see Negan in the Comedian the whole time.   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »

I KNEW IT !!! 

Told the wife that
1 - There is no emotion coming from Angela's husband (he never gets mad or happy)
2 - He is too matter of fact ("There is no heaven" or God .. I forget which he told the kids but it hit me as cold)
3 - Angela's husband had amnesia? Really now. Why is that? A car accident? Hmmmm?
4 - This show is nothing but a love story to Supes. The Action Comics cover, The way the couple that was on the farm ... and "found" a baby were named "Clark" ... and then a space object hits on their property. Plus at least three more that nods that I know I have seen but the main thing ... Angela's husband is named Cal ... Cal = Kal-El? Now I know Supes is not Dr. Manhattan, but here, he is a close analogy

It just had to be !!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 04:22:44 AM »

Episode 8

Excellent episode.  Almost all of the answers are here.  I can’t say much more without spoilers so I’ll hold back until others get to watch it.

But I will say this.  There is an important after credit scene so don’t think it’s over when the credits roll.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »

But I will say this.  There is an important after credit scene so don’t think it’s over when the credits roll.

Ohhh, thanks for that. We are watching it tonight, hopefully, but I know I never would have seen it otherwise, so yeah, big thanks.
Were there always after credit scenes? I don't recall seeing any, but as I just alluded to, I probably never would have seen them anyway ... unless it was one night where the wife wanted to see what an actors name was ... as she does at times.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »

Ohhh, thanks for that. We are watching it tonight, hopefully, but I know I never would have seen it otherwise, so yeah, big thanks.
Were there always after credit scenes? I don't recall seeing any, but as I just alluded to, I probably never would have seen them anyway ... unless it was one night where the wife wanted to see what an actors name was ... as she does at times.

No this is the only one.  You'll start to hear dialogue as the credits get close to the end then it will fade to the scene.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 12:30:35 PM »

Finale was awesome. What an incredible series this was.  I’m hoping for a season 2 but this ended very satisfying for me. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »

I concur!!!

One thing I noticed, that made me kinda happy, was at the intro when this last episode aired it stated "Season Finale" and not series. So I am hopeful that there will be another season. But, as you mentioned Jeff, I would also be content if that was the last one we will see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS