HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 09:34:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 13, 2019  (Read 5608 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 13, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

Happy Comic Book Day!

Only had to rollover The Boys as I only got halfway though it.  I still have a good sized list this week but a free weekend for a change.  Let’s do this!

ComiXolgy
The Boys TPB Vol 3: Good for the Soul (Collects issues 15-22; I’m on issue 19)
X-Men 2
Fallen Angels 1
Event Leviathan 6
Island of Dr. Moreau 2
Gideon Falls 17
Psi-Lords 5
Batman 78
Batman 79
Batman 80
Batman 81
Batman 82
Batman Annual 4

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse and the X-Tracts 3
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 6
Invaders 5
War of the Realms: New Agents of Atlas 1
X-Force (2018) 7
Doctor Aphra 32
Boba Fett 1

========================================

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:15 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Men 2

Fallen Angels 1
Event Leviathan 6
Island of Dr. Moreau 2
Gideon Falls 17
Psi-Lords 5
Batman 78
Batman 79
Batman 80
Batman 81
Batman 82
Batman Annual 4

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders 5
X-Force (2018) 7
Doctor Aphra 32
Boba Fett 1

The Boys TPB Vol 3: Good for the Soul (Collects issues 15-22) - Ah ha!  The infamous airplane scene from the TV show is in this one.  But also- completely different!  And I have to say, Garth Ennis is one deranged writer.  And yet - I love his work.  This one has
Hughie and Starlight's first hook up.  Some disgusting undead heroes.  And "The Legend" who I assume is a Stan Lee stand in?

X-Men 2 - Best of the X-Books.  This one feels so much like a Hickman book.  Great new concepts, great new characters, fun character interactions, and a cliffhanger to drop your jaw.  I'm liking the interaction within the Summer's family here.  I may even start to like the new young Cable.  That would be something.

Fallen Angels 1 - Oh yeah - I'm so onboard this one.  I wasn't expecting this to be much and I was wrong.  Good writing.  Good characterization.  Good story.  Who knew Kwannon (now Psylocke), X-23, Cable, and Mr Sinister would be so good together?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 01:00:19 AM »

The Boys vol 3....you got that all right as I see it Jeff. Unless it's Kirby.

Now I'm real curious as to how the show does it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 02:58:31 AM »

The Boys vol 3....you got that all right as I see it Jeff. Unless it's Kirby.

Now I'm real curious as to how the show does it!

Ah yes - that would make more sense actually.  Kirby.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »

The Boys TPB Vol 3: ... "The Legend" who I assume is a Stan Lee stand in?[/spoiler]

Yep. That's correct  Cheesy

X-Men 2 - Best of the X-Books.  This one feels so much like a Hickman book.  Great new concepts, great new characters, fun character interactions, and a cliffhanger to drop your jaw.  I'm liking the interaction within the Summer's family here.  I may even start to like the new young Cable.  That would be something.

I enjoyed it, but what is with Hickman and the word "Maw" and creating characters that are colored only with black on white?  Cheesy This dude must be Black Swan's brother  Wink Grin

I also found the interactions pretty darn fun, though I still struggle with Rachel calling Cyclops "dad". Not sure why but it just booms in my head when I read it as being ... very different  Grin

Even still, yes, still good to see the X-Men climbing back to the top, at least with this book ... maybe the New Mutants as well. I think those two maybe the two I still with the longest. Maybe.

Fallen Angels 1 - Oh yeah - I'm so onboard this one.  I wasn't expecting this to be much and I was wrong.  Good writing.  Good characterization.  Good story.  Who knew Kwannon (now Psylocke), X-23, Cable, and Mr Sinister would be so good together?

Man, I had no interest in this book ... I care not for any of the characters but you saying that gives me pause and makes me rethink, but as I can't stand the artist involved I just can't buy this book. When he is gone or when it hits the MU I will certainly check it out, but I will never pay for that dudes pathetic face work. I used to not mind his stuff (when he was on Punisher for example) but lately, especially on his Superman ... or Action work (I think he was on Action) his art just bottomed out for me. His faces are just plain bad. Made Lois Lane look like current Linda Hamilton (no offense to Linda, she is a real person and Lois is not but Lois, like most comic lead characters are supposed to look a certain way) and sadly, much like freakin' Rob Liefeld, he doesn't seem to want to try and get better.
BAH and FEY to that!!!
(hows that for a blast from the past?)
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »

I also found the interactions pretty darn fun, though I still struggle with Rachel calling Cyclops "dad". Not sure why but it just booms in my head when I read it as being ... very different  Grin

Oh man I thought the same thing. I guess because I don’t remember her ever doing that.  But why wouldn’t she? It makes total sense.  But still, will take some getting used to.

Fallen Angels 1 - Oh yeah - I'm so onboard this one.  I wasn't expecting this to be much and I was wrong.  Good writing.  Good characterization.  Good story.  Who knew Kwannon (now Psylocke), X-23, Cable, and Mr Sinister would be so good together?

Man, I had no interest in this book ... I care not for any of the characters but you saying that gives me pause and makes me rethink, but as I can't stand the artist involved I just can't buy this book. When he is gone or when it hits the MU I will certainly check it out, but I will never pay for that dudes pathetic face work.

I didn’t think I would be on this long either but after reading it, it is my second favorite after X-Men. Of course, I love it for the story but the art didn’t bother me.   I recognized the faces of his characters here as looking the way they’re supposed to.  Maybe you could get a Byrne read at your LCS?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »

Maybe you could get a Byrne read at your LCS?

Probably can. Not like the "old days" (of just a week ago) but I should be able to get through one or two title before I get nabbed or start feeling odd. It's a lot different standing by the shelves reading versus having a chair in the office or being able to walk out and return a few copies a couple days later though
*sigh*
Screw it. I will go ahead and get it. Sounds like it is worth a read at least even with that artist that bugs me.  Grin
Just go look at the Action Comics stuff when it hits the DCU (if you were no longer reading it). Tons of shadow and close ups of eyes or whatever to cover up the fact he can't draw faces worth crap. Plus lots and lots of reusing art work. Buy hey, maybe it was just the inker on Action?
I'll find out in a few because you do have me curious now
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »

I'll find out in a few because you do have me curious now
 Grin

Lol.  Now I've jinxed it and you'll be like "what the heck is that Jeff guy thinking??"   Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:18:54 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Men 2

Fallen Angels 1
Event Leviathan 6
Island of Dr. Moreau 2
Gideon Falls 17
Psi-Lords 5

Batman 78
Batman 79
Batman 80
Batman 81
Batman 82
Batman Annual 4

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders 5
X-Force (2018) 7
Doctor Aphra 32
Boba Fett 1

Event Leviathan 6 - This was kind of anti-climatic for the big ending.  Was hoping for a better reveal on Leviathan's identity.

Island of Dr. Moreau 2 - Not bad.  A fun two-issue read.  Art was good.

Gideon Falls 17 - Way cool start to the new arc!  The pieces and players are falling together.  Still have no idea how this is going to end!

Psi-Lords 5 - Still liking this.  Interesting now that they remember who they are and are meeting other creatures in the G'yre.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »

Superior Octopus 1 -which was the stand alone issue before being led into Spider-geddon; which I will not read because I (*^*%&*ing hate that shit of Spider-mens of multiple worlds teaming up. Can't stand it.

Avengers through issue 11. Look at me! Almost caught up with the first year! LOL And I'm still 2 years behind. But Perry is right, it's just not...catching me...Also, screw Namor. That guy irritates me more and more with each use of him.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »

Jimmy, are you talking about the most recent Superior or the original 12 issue run?

And Jeff, I picked up that Fallen Angels and ya, you got me into it. I'm gonna try this for a couple more issues. I still hate the art, gonna text you some pictures later when I know you are up  Grin but the story did pull me in.
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »

Okay, gonna be a small week (having to pay for this stuff sucks  Grin) but did get a lot of final issues that I will eventually get to, I hope. Anyway

Black Hammer/JLA #5 - Sadly, just happy this is over  Angry (Although I liked the foil here)

History of the MU #5 - Just love this. Brings me back to fun I had on the original run and Marvel Card collecting
X-Men #2 - As always, THE book you need to read if you love the letter "X"
Silver Surfer Black #5 - Man, every time you read a Surfer book you should feel the impact of wonder. And it is all here!! Not just the writing, which is top notch, but man, that art here (that I absolutely freakin' love in its almost abstract form) and the amazing color work, this is going to make it to my shelf when it is collected. Up there with S.S. Requiem? Maybe not, but damn close and even more sugar for my eyes.

Fallen Angels #1 - So Jeff liked this and I was scared off by the art. But ... so far the writing has won out. Jeff was right. This is very intriguing to me so I am on this title I had no desire to be on. However, the art is still awful. But I guess that tells you how I felt about the writing. If the writing can overpower my hatred of this art, it has to be good.
 Grin
Thanks Jeff, and I will get those pics out soon
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »

Fallen Angels #1 - So Jeff liked this and I was scared off by the art. But ... so far the writing has won out. Jeff was right. This is very intriguing to me so I am on this title I had no desire to be on. However, the art is still awful. But I guess that tells you how I felt about the writing. If the writing can overpower my hatred of this art, it has to be good.
 Grin

Glad you liked it!  Whew!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 05:34:00 PM »

ComiXolgy
X-Men 2

Fallen Angels 1
Event Leviathan 6
Island of Dr. Moreau 2
Gideon Falls 17
Psi-Lords 5

Batman 78
Batman 79
Batman 80
Batman 81
Batman 82
Batman Annual 4

Marvel Unlimited
Invaders 5

X-Force (2018) 7
Doctor Aphra 32
Boba Fett 1

Age of X-Man: Apocalypse and the X-Tracts 3 - Is Apocalypse's true nature coming out?  Or is he the hero of this story?  Good interactions with Kitty and Colossus.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 6 - Nice Make A Wish One shot.  If only we could really spend a day with a super hero.

Invaders 5 - Man, Namor is a D!ick.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »

Jimmy, are you talking about the most recent Superior or the original 12 issue run?

Most recent? Mind you, it's Unlimited, and I'm about 7 months behind on that too!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS