HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:25:47 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 16, 2019  (Read 3186 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 16, 2019, 12:53:16 PM »

Starting to be caught up with everything.  Won’t be long before I start those The Boys trades.

ComiXology
X-Men 1
Inferior5 2
Flash Forward 2
Killers 3
Psi-Lords 4
Doom Patrol TPB Vol 2: Nada (Collects issues 7-12)
A Walk Through Hell TPB Vol 2: The Cathedral (Collects issues 6-12)

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts 2
Age of X-Man: Marvelous X-Men 3
Dead Man Logan 6
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 5
Invaders 4
War of the Realms: Journey into Mystery 1
Winter Soldier 5
X-Force 6

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »

ComiXology
X-Men 1
Inferior5 2
Flash Forward 2
Killers 3
Psi-Lords 4

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 6
Invaders 4
Winter Soldier 5
X-Force 6

—————————————————————————-

X-Men 1 - The story continues here and it’s good.  Love the Summers clan and team.  X-Men history is being made.

Doom Patrol TPB Vol 2: Nada (Collects issues 7-12) - the Morrison love continues. This was fun.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:24:23 AM »

ComiXology
X-Men 1
Inferior5 2
Flash Forward 2
Killers 3
Psi-Lords 4

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 6
Invaders 4
Winter Soldier 5
X-Force 6

Inferior5 2 - Is it just me or has Keith Geffen's art gone down hill over the years?  Story itself is still ramping up and still interesting.

Flash Forward 2 - Well, ok.  The cliffhanger ending may have just ramped up my interest and hopes for this series.

Killers 3 - This series has been good.  It's all the Ninja's from Ninja-K minus Nijak himself.  Very Kingsman like.

Psi-Lords 4 - This has turned into quite a good little story.  A bit "by the numbers" on it's plot but I'm ok with it.  I still like it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 04:28:53 AM »

ComiXology
X-Men 1
Inferior5 2
Flash Forward 2
Killers 3
Psi-Lords 4

Marvel Unlimited
Dead Man Logan 6
Invaders 4
Winter Soldier 5
X-Force 6

A Walk Through Hell TPB Vol 2: The Cathedral (Collects issues 6-12) - I posted my thoughts in the thread dedicated to this title.  The journey was fascinating but the ending was a little disappointing.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »

YAY!!! Finally!!! My brother is back home, mother is back home and my home is now filled the way it should be; like Grover Washington sung:

Just the Two of Us!
 Cheesy

That's the good.

The bad = I have officially lost my LCS privileges. Well, I will soon. I am loosing "my in"  Undecided  It was a good run, so I shouldn't complain, but with no longer having the Byrne Stealing option (one I perhaps took too much for granted, if I am honest  Embarrassed) I now have to go full digital on 95% of my reading, although there will still be some I get off rack in floppy/collected form, it will be only here and there or special stuff that I will always get in print like Heavy Metal, Back Issue and the like. Man this sucks  Cheesy I don't mind digital, but I hate the fact that it costs so much, and for no other reason that it sells at that price. Oh well, the cost for me will go up, but the wife understands this and I will not (try not to) abuse the limits I have imposed on myself.
 Grin Cheesy
Plus, I will try to do what Jeff does so well and wait out the price to drop when and where I can. It shouldn't be too bad. I needed a good culling anyway. I mean I was reading Dynamite books for Christ's sake!!!!
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Good news is I can start going back to the little shop right up the street instead of driving so darn far.  Cheesy

Anyway, here is a partial list of what I have read over the last two and a half weeks. I posted once already but I guess I forgot to hit the post button and lost all that. I will never remember what those were, but I do have these on the memory bank at least.

X-Men #1 - This will be a book I keep up with and most likely most of the other X-books as well as Hickman has done so much, so well, to get me really into the X again. I will say that I find it odd that
Jean's bedroom is situated in-between Logan and Scott's rooms  Undecided I mean the rooms are designed to be set into groups of three's, but ....
Grin

Ice Cream Man #15 - Meh, I could've skipped this one and been okay with it.

Batman #80 - Good stuff. Love the "cops"  Cheesy
Batman: Universe #4 - This is so fun. Mainly because of the art. I think it reads better with multiple issues
Detective Comics #1012
Detective Comics #1013
- Yeah, Mr. Freeze brought me back.
Event Leviathan #5 - This is getting a lot of hits for being nothing, but yeah, I like it. What can I say?
Metal Men #1 - Was told I may not like the change here, being a fan of this group that I am. I agree  Undecided
Secrets of Sinister House #1 - Spooky short-story 80pager featuring DC characters and most of it was fun
Superman #16 - Will not miss this, I suspect
Batman's Grave #1 - I can't explain it, he does fine, he is loved for the most part, but I am not an huge fan of Brian Hitch's work. I don't know why, it seems fine by all the standards that I look for, but for some reason it just doesn't hit for me. That said this is a typical Warren Ellis issue. There is not a lot of dialog in the issue but I like what is there.  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »

X-Men #1 - This will be a book I keep up with and most likely most of the other X-books as well as Hickman has done so much, so well, to get me really into the X again. I will say that I find it odd that
Jean's bedroom is situated in-between Logan and Scott's rooms  Undecided I mean the rooms are designed to be set into groups of three's, but ....
Grin

I know right?  They might as well have
put Emma next to them as well.

Batman's Grave #1 - I can't explain it, he does fine, he is loved for the most part, but I am not an huge fan of Brian Hitch's work. I don't know why, it seems fine by all the standards that I look for, but for some reason it just doesn't hit for me. That said this is a typical Warren Ellis issue. There is not a lot of dialog in the issue but I like what is there.  Grin

I just added this to my wish list yesterday.  I thought a Warren Ellis Batman would be interesting.  I might wait until you read issue 2 before picking up now.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 01:56:14 AM »

ComiXology
X-Men 1
Inferior5 2
Flash Forward 2
Killers 3
Psi-Lords 4

Marvel Unlimited

Dead Man Logan 6
Invaders 4
Winter Soldier 5
X-Force 6

Age of X-Man: Marvelous X-Men 3 - I'll do these two together since they almost read as one story.  Still enjoying this.  The world X-Man has created is starting to fray.  Won't be long before it completely unravels.

Dead Man Logan 6 - Half way there and this was the one that had to happen. 
Old Man Logan meets Wolverine

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 5 - A good old fashioned one issue story.  Just like the good old days.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »

ComiXology
X-Men 1
Inferior5 2
Flash Forward 2
Killers 3
Psi-Lords 4

Marvel Unlimited

Dead Man Logan 6
Invaders 4
Winter Soldier 5
X-Force 6

Invaders 4 - Another great issue.  This is a good series.  Love the connection with Namor's friend from WWII and the generations coming from that family.  A must read each month.

War of the Realms: Journey into Mystery 1 - Eh, I probably keep reading it since it seems to have an important part in War of Realms but it's just ok.  Ok, I'm really only going to keep reading it because it has Thori in it, duh.

Winter Soldier 5 - The end of this mini.  A little to "by the numbers" for my taste.  Not a bad story but I can't recommend it as a "must read".

X-Force 6 - Glad I stayed on this despite my dislike of the art.  Story has turned out pretty decent.  I still want "my" Cable back but like I said, the story has been getting steadily better.  Plus you can always get me with a time travel story.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »

Well as I am about to lose access to ... A LOT OF COMICS ...  Cry Cry Cry Cry I decided to spend the day knocking some out, focusing on the ones that I needed to finish that I would probably, most likely, not buy on my own. Especially the Valiant comic titles as I know no-one (other than Jeff and Jimmy) that reads them, and that is a sad as hell thing to think about  Cry

Bizarre Adventures #1 - The Ulysses Bloodstone story was the best of these four, short stories
Conan the Barbarian Exodus #1 - "Written" and Drawn by Ribic. Beautiful, but maybe five words in here  Grin
Conan the Barbarian #8
Conan the Barbarian #9
- Aaron still showing he was born for writing this character
Contagion #1 - Not even close to being as good as DC's current DCeased. Hard to do anyway, but ...
Fantastic Four #15 - Not even close to be a good FF comic. Like always with Slott, the high was short lived
Friendly N. Spidey #11
Friendly N. Spidey #12
- Speaking of short, my time on this book. The art has gone to pathetic Dynamite looking crap.
History of the M.U. #3 - So Marvel eliminated Vietnam War being the history or origin of a lot of characters in the MU and made a fake war with Asians in its place and people are pissed? Bah, I'm fine with it. It is just a way to stop moving the real war the characters were in.

Berserker Unbound #3 - Getting better. Now that times has passed from Secret Avengers.
Black Hammer / JLA #4 - A little better? I don't know, this has been a let down for me.
Red Sonja #9 - Was off this but after reading this one ... it will be hard to stop now. But I will  Undecided
Spawn #301 - Had to check in to see how the record breaking issue would be. Okay, I looked. Bye
Fallen World #3
Fallen World #4
Fallen World #5
- Coming on stronger than it started, it sets up the new, upcoming Rai title pretty well. Will get!
Psi-Lords #3
Psi-Lords #4
- This one I will not be getting and I have to think I will not miss it. Just never hit for me.
Dr. Mirage #1 - Not bad, not great, not buying  Grin
Punk Mambo #3
Punk Mambo #4
Punk Mambo #5
- This one was fun. Have always like the character and I look forward to her return, at some point, and
her regaining her Loa!!!!

EDIT - I forgot one -
The Island of Dr. Moreau #1 - Handed to me because it has Gabriel Rodriquez art (Locke & Key). He is one of my favorite artists and what he does here, including changing the gender of the lead, is really well done as well as his explanation as to why (which is in the back-matter of the issue). I will be getting issue #2 as well. His art here ... just incredible. Looking like his Locke & Key style mixed with Joe Kubert and ... some artist that I just can't grasp yet. Just amazing. Backgrounds are a part of the story and I miss that in a lot of today's artists. Strong recommend if you find it on sale at Comixology (IDW Publisher)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 02:44:12 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS