HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:45:21 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo! Fantasy stuff ...  (Read 36862 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2020, 06:21:49 PM »

Chapter 11 'On the List'

17 h 38 m to go.

<<<JEFF AVOID>>>

I'm enjoying the slow building of the ...uh, world buidling. Smiley

There's one part where there is a growing plot, which I'm enjoying following. Logen's Lament, as I listen to it, actually reminds me of some short story stuff I had written for myself; the aged fighter, the one that's left, looking back at his 'glory' and calling it 'for what?'

But man, too many lisps!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »

And Perry, the Mazalan series is something on my 'modern list' of classics and need to read. Only heard great things about it too. Published after...what, 92, 96? I wouldn't expect it to be Tolkien-, or Jordanesque.

But I want to read it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »

But I want to read it!

Yeah, that is a commitment I will have to wait awhile for. I have so much to read coming into this game so late.

After I get up here, with Abercrombie, I still need to get back to book 3 of Wot, plus I want to try that Gentlemen Bastards series that everyone seems to praise. And that is still just the tip of the iceberg

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »

I just went to look up the Gentleman Bastard author Scott Lynch; he's got the same birthday as me April 2! Lol, but a year older though than me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2020, 12:37:39 PM »

Crap, yeah, forgot to send the birthday wishes, even after I knew  Angry Angry Angry

Sorry, Jimbo!

anyway, I see from where you are ... or were at one point  Grin ... you have met
Fenris the Feared!!
Loved that intro to him

Also, while I am here, and going back a chapter or so from where you were ...
I really enjoyed Logen's journey to reach the "First of the Magi", Bayaz. It really opened up the character of Ninefingers for me. From the decision to carry the apprentice to our even earlier discovery that he talks to spirits, which I was NOT expecting from a barbarian like himself. And the fact he sucks up the spirit, keeping it under his tongue to use as fire starter material when he needs it to set that guy on fire later Cheesy Cheesy Just not something I expect from a barbarian. Especially as I had set him, as I always seem to do, in the mold of Conan. I guess that is an easy thing as he is the most famous of the "barbarian" archetypes ... and a true favorite of mine anyway.  Smiley

Jeff? You started yet?
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2020, 02:08:48 PM »

I do like a world with a bit of magic. I don't like that magic seems to be fading, but seems to be a lot of current fantasy books; mankind has lost the ways of old and must grub in the dirt to succeed. Now, I type that and it sounds like an awfully cast stone even at this book; it's not! I just like my Tolkien influenced fantasy as well.

I REALLY like Bayaz as well.
Fading powers or not, when he faces Bethod, Calder and Scale, and their pitiful 'sorceress' I was like YEAH I want to follow that man.

Agreed on Logen. Already a big turning point with Qwai and Pot. Poor Pot!

(also, I don't know how much to put in spoilers or not!!)

I'm through Chapter 13 as the narrator says. Meeting the Northman 'diplomat' and their pronunciaton of intent was awesome!

And man, does he write Jezel as the most vain, narcissistic, self centered man I've ever read through.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2020, 02:10:51 PM »

Also, maybe at 1.4+ speed, more of the narrator's voice may become more 'lispy' just due to the speed and his accent together. But, I hear the obvious lisp with Glotka, and then Hoff, and King Guslav too. Is it just me, or was it in the narration?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »

Lol no I haven’t.  Quarantine at home has actually given me less free time!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »

Also, maybe at 1.4+ speed, more of the narrator's voice may become more 'lispy' just due to the speed and his accent together. But, I hear the obvious lisp with Glotka, and then Hoff, and King Guslav too. Is it just me, or was it in the narration?

Well, this may come up later, I am not remembering when some of this was discussed, so sorry for spoilers if you have yet to get to this,
but with Inquisitor Glokta, I put the narration style with the lisps in his vocals, being pretty much based on the torture (especially to his mouth) that he endured while he was captured by the Gurkish.

As for other lisps or manner of speaking ... just different regional British tones ... I don't notice any other ... what I would call lisps or anything, really. Certainly different tongue positions and syllable variances but within typical "blue blood" speaking.  Grin I think the main reason is that the narrator is English and he has about 30 different voices to try and come up with  Grin I personally love Glokta's speech and vocalization as it reminds of an old British cartoon I used to watch
 Grin

Oh, and yes,
Bayaz facing Bethod and his little witch ... hahaha, shut her ass down with a quickness!!
Cheesy Cheesy

And HERE is a map that may come in handy in a few more chapters ... Or at some point anyway
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »

I expect it with Glotka, with the others the 's' sounds maybe just sounds that way from the accent, to be honest.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »

I expect it with Glotka, with the others the 's' sounds maybe just sounds that way from the accent, to be honest.

Could be. I'm not really hearing it, but I went to a shit ton of rock concerts as a young one  so my ears may be missing it Grin
Haha. Had a great hook-up when I was in my late teens as my ex-wife (girlfriend at the time) was a manager for this music store called "Tracks" (ever hear of those? I was never sure how nationwide they were and could have only been local, but I don't think so). Anyway ... she was able to get us backstage passes from time to time, meet and greats almost all the time (Sadly, as that is when I found the Nikki Sixx was a dickhead!!) and we were almost always locked in for spots right under the speakers at concerts.
 Cheesy
I will never forget that damn canon AC/DC had for that damn song "For Those About To Rock ..."

"For those about to rock ... Fire"

BOOM

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

*ringing in ears for the next hour
 Undecided

Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2020, 03:57:49 PM »

And I'm betting on your dinosaur halycon days of yore, ear plugs were not a thing. Wink

It took about a half dozen concerts of Metallica, Anthrax, Priest and Motorhead and said 'nope! I need ear plugs!' Cool Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »

And I'm betting on your dinosaur halycon days of yore, ear plugs were not a thing. Wink

Cheesy Cheesy
Yep, correct. Well, that and being totally stupid and not wanting to do it  Roll Eyes!!!

Never saw Motorhead.  Undecided I only saw Anthrax when they opened for Ozzie, the ... the second time I saw him, I think ...?... and they, like every single band that I saw with Ozzie, in the three times I saw him, sounded so much better than he did that it was ridiculous.
 Angry
Anthrax was great, really fun (loved how they played up "Got the Time" with the audience), Ozzie's band was great, Ozzie was horrible. Each. And. Every. Time.

Hmmm, Just thought about it more and ... yeah ... Zach was the guitarist then, I think ... so maybe it was the third and final time I saw Ozzie?? ... Damn ... I can't remember now
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2020, 02:35:14 AM »

I'll be finishing the book tomorrow. Probably during morning cartoons. Only a little over 2 hours left.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2020, 09:28:08 AM »

I await your thoughts
 Smiley

Off now to see again where that first book ends, so I don't say too much in response. I still have about 11 hours left in book three, but have no true recollection as to when/how that first book ended as the story has just been one long book for me, having been listening to it and no other book since I started this trilogy
 Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS