HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:37:06 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo! Fantasy stuff ...  (Read 36875 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2020, 09:41:23 PM »

I will say, for an addition to the negative column, that I do get tired of all these damn women just looking at Rand and instantly thinking of marriage though. I mean to throw down and get busy for a night, sure, okay, Rand = Brad Pitt, but lord ... these chicks go all overboard with the whole "coupling and him having me as a bride" thing  Roll Eyes
 Grin

There was a point when I wondered if 'Robert Jordan' was a woman writer. The, well, men-bashing, matriarchal control and fear of the Aes Sedai, and the continued plans to use Rand because he was a male out of control.

It seemed right to me for a long time. I know I'm wrong now, but it seemed appropriate at one point!

But, I was also able to get out of that mindset by 'abandoning' putting Judeo-Christian values on to the book, and take this hugely realized world for everything it gives us as a reader-then a lot of the womens' and society values begin to really make more sense. 

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2020, 02:58:08 PM »

So Jimmy told me the prologues on some of these books can be ... quite wordy, WOW, he wasn't kidding. Just got through the prologue of The Dragon Reborn (book #3) and it took over an hour
 Cheesy Cheesy

Am also listening to the first book of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself) and I will say, having not read The Song of Ice and Fire and only watching the series it is based on, Game of Thrones, that it is very much in that vein. Brutal, but it also has a little dry humor to it. Now I am only about an hour in that as well, about up to chapter 3 I think, so it could change, but yeah, I think I will enjoy the "dark" style of this one as well.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »

Still on book 1 and about to start chapter 39.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »

Still on book 1 and about to start chapter 39.

Sweet
(Now get on polo!!!)
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2020, 01:42:56 AM »

Am also listening to the first book of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself) and I will say, having not read The Song of Ice and Fire and only watching the series it is based on, Game of Thrones, that it is very much in that vein. Brutal, but it also has a little dry humor to it. Now I am only about an hour in that as well, about up to chapter 3 I think, so it could change, but yeah, I think I will enjoy the "dark" style of this one as well.

I'd be curious if you would like to make it through the first 3 chapters of Mark Lawrence 'Prince of Thorns' then.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 04:08:23 AM »

Getting ready to head home from work and listening to Chapter 40 on the ride.  I'm at the part where ding dong Rand fell off the wall into the Queen's courtyard without knowing he was sitting on the Queen's wall.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:48 PM »

I'd be curious if you would like to make it through the first 3 chapters of Mark Lawrence 'Prince of Thorns' then.

Quite possibly   Smiley, but it may take me 10 years to get to it.  Cheesy Going to try and finish these three series first, as I have heard they are some of the best loved:

Wheel of Time (14 books and a sequel that I am to read "only after book 5" ... which I may skip anyway)
The First Law Trilogy/World (currently 8 books. Well nine counting the latest that just came out)
The Gentlemen Bastards (a small 3 book series!!)

Of course after that small bit of reading I plan on hitting up the Stormlight Archive series, soooooo ...
Lots of listening ahead for me.
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 12:26:10 PM »

Getting ready to head home from work and listening to Chapter 40 on the ride.  I'm at the part where ding dong Rand fell off the wall into the Queen's courtyard without knowing he was sitting on the Queen's wall.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Grin Yeah, funny that. So they already walked the False Dragon through the streets.

I almost said something else ... like a moron ....  Undecided

T'was nothing major, but yeah, would've been ill timing and all spoilery
 Smiley  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2020, 12:43:21 AM »

I've started Book Two - just read the Prologue and first chapter so far.  Prologue really sucked me in.  Looks like I might not be getting back to that other book I was reading before I dove into the Wheel of Time!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2020, 01:52:05 PM »

I've started Book Two

YAY!!!

Yeah, that prologue of book two is sweet!!! "The man who is known as Bors ..."
It really got me going as well. Made the jump in exciting, yeah? 

Speaking of prologues, man, the one in book 3 is long  Grin It took about an hour and half (running at normal speed) to get through that puppy. That's a lot of pages  Cheesy

I am currently on Chapter 5 of book three, but also on Chapter 11 of The Blade Itself (Book One of the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie). Reading two books at once does have its issues but the main one is that I like both stories now so much that I can't decide on which one to concentrate on  Grin The are TOTALLY different styles of books with TOTALLY different narrators, so I am not, yet, getting confused at least.  Smiley
Jimmy, if you ever get the time and want yet another series (I know you have blasted through a ton of them), and you are in the mood for that darker style, I can say this series, or at least this book, is a worthy read. Really enjoying a few of these characters in this book. Greatly. Especially this one character called Logen Nine Fingers. So far, one hell of a hero.  Smiley

But back to the topic ...

AND SPOILERS WILL PROBABLY BE DISCUSSED, SO WARNING TO OTHERS ...

Now that Jeff is finished with book one, what do you guys think will be in the first season of Amazon's Wheel of Time show? Do you think they will finsh season one as book one did (lord I hope not, too rushed) or will they even go so far as to mix up a couple books?

I can see them stopping the season before getting to the end of book one, but you also know how people think and they will say you almost need that additional tension at the end of the book in season one of a TV series. I personally think they can find the tension elsewhere in the story and don't need to whip through to get to the end of book 1 by the end of the first season, it would be way too rushed, but you know execs!!  Angry

I enjoyed the heck out of book one, but, for television, for a season, do you think they can just world/character build only? Maybe only use the first ferry conflict as mid season tension and then maybe have the ending of the series be at Shadar Logoth? They may do that ... I guess it depends on how many episodes. I think if they do 6 ... or maybe even 8 episodes they could end the first season there, but ... yeah, I guess it depends on pacing as well.

I say if Netflix can have success with shows like the Crown, which I enjoy, they can damn sure do this show as a well paced, slower show!!!

And of course, another thing, it is so much harder to bring novels, especially ones of this size, into a shorter time frame because much is always lost. I know the show will piss Jimmy off for that reason alone (along with many others I am sure Smiley), but I just hope it is slow paced enough to get it right, yet fast paced enough to keep the viewers. I don't want say ... The Witcher pacing on a show that demands much more character development due to not only the way the characters are written, but the sheer amount of them
 Cheesy
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »

And hey, if you want to see the new "leaked" image (photo) of ... a scene from the series  Roll Eyes ....  Cheesy ... and don't worry, even if you haven't read the book it isn't what I would call a spoiler shot ... click HERE

I wonder if ... and this part is spoiler stuff so beware .... I wonder if this is

1- After the Trolloc attack on Emond's Field, early in book 1 (but I don't think Rand was there for that. Damn memory)
2- After the ferry separation and after Mat has the dagger (and thus his look)
3- A dream sequence
4- Something else
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2020, 02:01:07 PM »

Yeah sorry, the wife was away at a teacher conference for 4 days, so it was solo with the 2 kiddos-and one with a sinus infection. I haven't had much time to say anything!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 01:57:08 AM »

The other part I believe in is that if you can't do the entire series, all 14 books, then what's the point of doing a single season? Or a single book? Or...maybe only 3 books. Or 4. I mean, they would have to, quite honestly, film year round to prevent everyone from aging out of the roles.

Unless they would always recast new people for each 'book'. Like the Crown! That may be fun! Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »

I don't like these, Jimmy, but what do you think?
The newly available Wheel of Time dust covers by Juniper
Would you do this?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »

While I wait for Jimmy's thoughts on the matter above  Tongue

Grin Cheesy

I just finished Joe Abercrombie first book in The First Law series, The Blade Itself and Jeff per our oh so brief discussion, I do think you should get it ... unless you want to wait  Grin That is up to you, but I strongly recommend this book. Hopefully it will continue to be good, at least for the next two books, but yeah, it was good!!

It is a little different than Kings of the Wyld but it is also very similar. It doesn't wrap up in one book like KotW, or like KotW seems to at least  Wink but there are similarities. There is a group, or a "band" involved in this book as well, there are fantastic characters throughout and it has a lot of action without being too ... actiony?  Cheesy.

The last half is even better than the first, and that is a great thing.

I say take a swing, buddy. I think you will enjoy this one. But don't forget to listen to the sample, the one I had above somewhere, to make sure the narrator doesn't bother you. I love him, but certain people sometimes don't like certain other people's tones, accents or speech patterns, so just double check?

And then ENJOY!!!

And Jimmy, my man, just hang in there. It sucks I found out what I found out and sucks more they won't change it, but I do get another credit in about a month, so just hang in there as I also think you will like it
 Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS