HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:41:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo! Fantasy stuff ...  (Read 36851 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »

And FINISHED!!!

Woo-Hoo.

Now for a decision ... what to read next? Do I jump right into book #2 of the Wheel of Time or do I take a break? I am worn down a little, that was a long book, but at the same time I did reread this puppy so I could get to book two ... hmmmm, not sure what I want to do yet. Oh and
R.I.P to the Greenman
. I didn't remember that part until they ran into him and when they did my brain recalled it all from the first time I read the book, and I think I let out a little sigh.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 01:03:29 PM »

It's funny; I think there are maybe 1-2 other references to the importance of what the Green Man represented, but in the end, that book was written to be a one off single title should the publisher decide to not pick up and publish The Great Hunt. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »

So, swung into the LCS yesterday, the small one right up the street from me, and met a guy I had not seen in a long time. Started telling him I just read the first WoT book and how I was thinking about starting the second and he told me to check out this new book series by this guy "Nick Aims".

So when I got back home and settled in I looked for this "Aims" guy and was led (thanks Google) to a guy named Nicholas Eames. I assume that is who he was talking about. It sounds like aims Cheesy So I checked in on this book called Kings of the Wyld and after seeing some reviews I decided to give it a go because hey, worse case I don't like it and Audible gives me my credit back (so cool that they do that).

Just started chapter two this morning and yeah, this is good. It has just the right amount of humor and I am getting to know the lead character pretty fast. I like it. If you are looking for a Fantasy/Barbarian/Mercenary type book I say give this a try. But I will be back in a few to let ya know if it gets better or worse or what, but for now, I really enjoy this darn thing!!

HERE is the amazon link (as always I suggest getting the book free by signing up for Audible) but for readers of the page you could also check out Ebay (is that still around? Cheesy) for a cheaper copy. But you could also give me a few more days to get my opinion as I go deeper in. Again, I only got through one chapter
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »

Guys, I implore you, please make Kings of the Wyld the next book you buy. And what I mean is buy it this year, before the start of 2020. Why? Because I want to discuss it with you, that's why.
 Grin

This is one of my favorite books I have ever read and quite possible my 2nd favorite of all time, right after IT (though I admit I am on the high of "currently reading" which always makes things higher as you are living them in the moment). That said, I have faith this will be a top 10 book for me when I am done and think back on it years from now. Let's just say this, I have already bought the 2nd book in the series without finishing this first. That is how good this is. Now I am only just over the halfway mark, so I suppose it could suddenly nose dive, but I highly doubt it will do that.

This book is about a group (or a band as they are called) of old mercenaries who together were called Saga, one of the most famous bands of the realm, coming together once again, so many years later, to ... well, I don't want to spoil it, but it this group of five out of shape, old barbarians/fighters, a wizard and a bard( ? Grin) setting out to do something that ... well ... again, I won't spoil.
It is the most entertaining (and humorous at times) book that I have read in ... I don't know how long. 

Best thing about this, for me, it was the perfect book to read after the first Wheel of Time book. That book, WoT, is more "grand literature" while this is more ... a book written by a guy writing a book  Grin

In-fact, I had always thought that "High Fantasy" meant books like Lord of the Rings or Wheel of Time solely because they were written in that grand literary style of work. Those with ... complicated structure (that is not the phrase I want to use, but I hope you get what I mean) and the like, while "Low Fantasy" was a more relaxed form of writing. More down to Earth but I recently found out that I was kinda right.  Cheesy Low Fantasy is more down to Earth but not because of writing style, but because of location. Low Fantasy are books set on Earth. Truly "down to Earth" as it were. That is it. Books like ... spoilers in-case you don't know ...
The Shannara series or Wheel of Time
are those that, regardless of how it looks, are set on Earth or a version of it, just in the distant future ... or past. High Fantasy is just books set on an entirely different world.

I only mention that because while, so far, this book seems to be High Fantasy and had I known that before going in, and going by what I USED to think, I would not have picked this book after reading Wheel of Time because I would have thought it was written in the same, high brow manner.
(And I don't mean that as an insult. I truly enjoyed Eye of the World, but I was wanting to take a break from that kind of writing for a book or two.)

This book is nothing but superb, fun as hell, funny as hell while still have the feel of threats being real. Yes it has Golems and Dragons and all kinds of famous fantasy AND mythological creatures, but I can guarantee you have never seen them like this. Well, the dragons maybe, but then again ... ohhhhhh ...

Man ... guys, please, do yourself a favor, get this book. Make this the next book you read. You will enjoy it. At least the first half anyway
 Cheesy
And here ... or HERE is the link to order it and no, this is not a link where I get money or anything.  Cheesy This is just an Amazon link that I typed in Google. Not trying to get anything out of this other than have you guys read a great book so I can discuss it with you. However, it looks like it comes up to the Kindle version as default, so make sure you hit the paperback option (or the even better Audiobook ... which is AMAZING!!!!!)
 Kiss
(Just look at those reviews!!!!!)
 Wink
(Or don't and get the full unspoiled surprise as you read!!!)
 Smiley
(Just get this book!!!)
 Cool
(Okay, I will stop this now)
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »

Perry, based on your review, you can bet your sweet bippy I’ll find this book to read. I won’t let a recommendation like that go away!

I may ‘quibble’ a bit on the high/low fantasy definitions-okay, not quibble, discuss! I sound negative when I call it quibbling. Like, the book doesn’t have to be ‘set’ on Earth itself to be low fantasy. I’ve always found Low fantasy to be more ….man versus mankind, less Evil Magic Big Bad as the antagonist. While Shannara books were waaaaay later incorporated into a future Earth World, there is nothing Low Fantasy about any of the first 10 books at all. Or..any of the ones properly called ‘Shannara.’

Now Game of Thrones? Low Fantasy to me. There are the elements of some magic, some dragons, but those things are extreme outliers to a world designed entirely within the human caption of what our reality is on this world. Low Fantasy makes you know how much pain and blood is in the battle for a hill. Low Fantasy will show you how heavy a blade truly is, how cumbersome armor can be. There are no magic blades to whip and zing all around without effort or fatigue. Low Fantasy isn’t...fantastical…like the series ‘Prince of Thorns’ (Broken Empire Trilogy) by Mark Lawrence is so Low Fantasy, I would call it gutter fantasy. It's so base, and debased, I forced my way through to the end of book 1, was not awed by the ‘catch’ of the premise, and refused to even pick up book 2. It’s a book of rape, murder (not ‘killing’ enemies, but murdering people), and vile acts of the lowest type of people to get revenge on...a life lived because of past hurts. It’s books like GoT that has allowed Lawrence to find readers.

Anything you would presume to be High Fantasy, you would probably be correct. Their worlds are completely synonymous with the knowledge or feeling of magic or magical beings. I would call ‘American Gods’ by Gaiman as High Fantasy. Sure, it’s Earth, but all the myths and legends of our world are real, rise and fall, and work within our realm completely.

That’s just my opinions. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »

Hey no, I get ya, I'm only going by what that ... youtube Fantasy guy said.  Grin He and another (cute) fantasy youtuber have said that "here" is indeed the definition of High and Low Fantasy. I thought it was something else as well.

Maybe they are wrong, I don't know ... I will try and find the video
 Grin

EDIT - Daniel Greene!!! That's his name. And Merphy Napier is the little cutie that told me what the difference in high and low was ... it is right at the 17:48 mark or so if ya want to skip to it
 Smiley

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:09:20 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 07:28:43 PM »

Lol no big deal Grin

As long as it's fantasy and not insulting to the reader, then it's a good read!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »

Right on!  Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 07:00:23 PM »

Been thinking, this Kings of the Wyld book could have easily been written by Jason Aaron. Just the right amount of humor to break things up but with a lot of heart, action, might and magic. Fantasy, but with a spin on a lot of the creatures and tropes and funny, but not a funny book, ya know? I like those types of books

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »

The way I'm reading you, it's almost sounds like a more adult version of David Weddings writing. His is high fantasy, all the common tropes, but man, the humor was spot on.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »

Hmmmm, could be. Not for sure as I have never read "Weddings"  Cheesy.

But so ya know, this is on the adult side as there are certainly adult situations and the occasional curse and/or "F" drop (not a lot at all and when done it is perfect for the situation  Cheesy) but it is certainly not like say ... Ice and Fire or anything like that extreme as for being adult. This is more PG13+ or a very low rated R as apposed to Game of Thrones HARD "R" and its "I'm not even letting my 19 year old daughter watch that!" stuff
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 06:11:31 PM »

Damn auto correct!

David Eddings, writer of The Belgariad world and Elenium works

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »

David Eddings, writer of The Belgariad world and Elenium works

Yeah, I got ya. Never read anything from him yet. But I am new to this fantasy stuff ... mostly new anyway.

Also, check your phone  Wink

EDIT - Yes, check your phone ... now that I added you to the conversation. DOH!!!
 Grin Grin
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:21:51 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »

Okay Jimmy, before I talk too much about The Great Hunt (WoT book #2), how much do you remember of the book?

On a side note, while I am here, I got mad at myself yesterday. I was listen to this book and was at the part where they introduce Liandra (sp?) of the Red Aja (again ... not sure of the spelling) and they talk more about the colors like Yellow Aja, White Aja, etc .. including the "don't even talk about them and they don't exist" Black Aja. This all happens very early in the book. Well it got me curious about the differences in all the colors of the Aja. What each color (clan) represents for how they live or operate and all that, so in my infinite wisdom  Roll Eyes I wanted to know what makes say ... the red Aja different than some of the others and so I typed in a question about it and I don't remember what exactly I typed but the first damn line of the answer that came up said something along the lines of -
Liandra, known as a Red Aja but is actually Black Aja
Angry Angry

I wanted to kick my own ass.
 Angry Angry Angry

Was that going to be exposed in THIS book, or did I spoil something that was way down the road? If you remember
 Smiley

EDIT - Oh ... I have just got to the part where
Padan Fain "escaped" the dungeon and we the see that Matt, unconscious, has lost THE dagger
, so again, I am early in but liking it so far.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:48:48 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 05:06:05 AM »

My second (okay, third time this book), but second time rereading the entire series, I took notes. I wrote down EVERY character and the briefest description. I took notes on prophecy, sword forms, movement of characters, Ajahs, relations, oh yeah, I did. Because I really get into stuff so I really immerse myself in that manner. It's not required! But man..I kept picking up so much more.

That said, the Red Ajah is rather aggressive; the also are the primary hunters of male channelers and stilling False Dragons. They are...rather men hating women, as they view them as the ones who will primarily abuse the One Power.

Sorry about that little Spoiler for you; that sucks! Blues are 'adventurers' , Yellows are more healers, Green are the warrior type channelers, ready for war, Brown are librarians, Grays are diplomats, and Whites are philosophers.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS