HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:56:23 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL 2019  (Read 27700 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 03:12:46 AM »

Sorry about the Packers Jimbo.  That really sucked.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »

First off, before I even touch on the game, I want to say I'm sorry ... to Jeff.
I am never one to let a good dick joke go by the way side but I did just that not too long ago. I kept forgetting to respond to this and well darn it, in Jimmy's time of need it just seems like the perfect time to make amends ...

Obviously I’m a bigger Johnson fan....

Hmmmm.  In retrospect, I should have phrased that better.......

Dude! That is funny!!
 Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

More on the games later.

(but yeah, sorry Jimbo  Embarrassed)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

Oh I loved Jeff's joke. Sorry to not respond better. That was great!

Oh well Packers. They, to me, played with house money all year. New coach, new staff, new system, a fresh start from the dreck that was McCarthy's stifled offense and team from Ted Thompson's dementia  dimensional approach to 'buidling' a team meant that this, unfortunately, was a 'learning year' that turned into an NFC Championship game!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

But all the deficiencies from the past 2-3 years on defense and offense could not be turned around in one year of our newly risen GM and head coach. The team still only has 1 WR worth a damn. No TE of game changing worth (I don't care if he caught a big play, or a TD, Jimmy Graham does not have 'it' because 'it' does not show up in every play, nor every game. It's not 2008; he's not great anymore, or at all. Hell, Antonio Gates who just retired after this year would still have been better to have here!!). Our middle of the field defense is weak with our middle linebacker Martinez (and I like the guy, very personable, very team oriented, very much 'that guy' to have on your team, but any other team and he's locked into the #2 rank of that position...or his defense is just bad). Savage is still a young guy learning his safety role.

BUT...as we all say together, "well, there's always hope for next year."

But as more and more writers point out...with a team with such a locked in contract to the QB, there's not enough for the rest of the guys. And more and more...that starts to look like a hindrance. San Fran's defense may be dismantled in a year or more when all those 1st round d-line guys want their money and go elsewhere. Seattle looked really pedestrian this year, but that's because Wilson has all the money and the defense doesn't.

I listened to a great NFL/SI podcast writer journalist thing that talked about this. During the regular season, that near HoFame QB can will you through everything. 10 wins, a division title, hell, that first round bye. But in the playoffs? They remarked on how  in the playoffs Peyton Manning alone could not will a team to victory by himself. Only when his team's defense ranked in the top 10 statistically at all for the year did wins and a Superbowl become possible.

We talk about the Patriots and Brady..but honestly, it was the defense that always would carry them to the win. So, I see truth to this.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2020, 01:03:58 AM »

I do wonder what Rich, Mr DVDavenport himself, would have to say on the retirement of Eli Manning.

So here's this; I bet he is first ballot hall of famer. I don't particularly agree. He was great through 2 post-seasons, and I believe was wrongly awarded the MVPs. That defense won both those games, and the helmet catch was on the WR, not Manning. Dude just chucks a ball up and gets lucky. That's Hall of Fame?

And that's something I have against the HoF. Every position demands exellence at all times. But look at how few O-line get in, and there are a sure a helluva lot more them than Qbs.

A 500 qb who barely did very well in the era of QBs being allowed to do whatever they want to do. I've just never been impressed with his career.

But he's going in. OH well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 07:33:37 PM »

Calling it!

Um..... Chiefs 27, Niners 21

Only because I hope so! If every other Superbowl is still true, the greater defense totally equalizes the awesome offense.

Broncos over Panthers.
Seahawks over Broncos.
Patriots over Rams.
Giants over Patriots

Then there were the Superbowls of futility; where offense or defense has no part; Eagles Patriots, Patriots Falcons

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2020, 08:49:20 PM »

Dude just chucks a ball up and gets lucky. That's Hall of Fame?

I agree, but on the flip side of that, another dude gets lucky as hell and is picked by the best coach to ever play the game, who is in one of the easiest divisions ever (for the time he was with the team ... I mean Jets? Dolphins? Bills? During the 2000's? BAH), has an offense coordinator that plays dump off ball, which is perfect for this skidish as hell kid. Has, for a time, two amazing TE's (that perfectly fit into that game plan of dink and dunk), has a kicker who'll win more playoff games than he will, gets lucky as hell in Oakland on a horrible bullshit rule (IT WAS A FUMBLE), gets incredibly lucky that a certain opposing coach passes on the one yard line instead of calling a rush ...when they have Lynch in the backfield, and who then also gets extremely lucky facing a pathetic Falcons game plan in the second half of one Super Bowl. Yet this guy is consider the greatest of all time at that position?

All perspective I guess.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2020, 03:21:40 AM »

Dude just chucks a ball up and gets lucky. That's Hall of Fame?

I agree, but on the flip side of that, another dude gets lucky as hell and is picked by the best coach to ever play the game, who is in one of the easiest divisions ever (for the time he was with the team ... I mean Jets? Dolphins? Bills? During the 2000's? BAH), has an offense coordinator that plays dump off ball, which is perfect for this skidish as hell kid. Has, for a time, two amazing TE's (that perfectly fit into that game plan of dink and dunk), has a kicker who'll win more playoff games than he will, gets lucky as hell in Oakland on a horrible bullshit rule (IT WAS A FUMBLE), gets incredibly lucky that a certain opposing coach passes on the one yard line instead of calling a rush ...when they have Lynch in the backfield, and who then also gets extremely lucky facing a pathetic Falcons game plan in the second half of one Super Bowl. Yet this guy is consider the greatest of all time at that position?

All perspective I guess.
 Grin

I'm throwing a flag on the play but there's a discussion for tomorrow.

CHIEFS WIN! WOOOOOOO!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »

Happy the Walrus finally got a ring.
The MVP voting though? I mean, I guess he had to win it, but only because there was no true MVP. The kid was pretty bad to awful all game, but no one else, especially on Defense, shown through other than Mahomes. I like the kid, great talent, but he played perhaps his worse game in that game.
 Undecided

Over all, an "okay" game. There's been better, been worse  Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 02:30:57 PM »

That Damien Williams should probably have gotten the MVP, but any come from behind win, against all odds will always favor the award going to the qb. Oh well!

But WAY better Than that Patriots Rams clunker from last year!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »

If his worst game was winning the Super Bowl then he must have a promising career ahead of him.  Grin Cheesy

In all seriousness I enjoyed it. I made the mistake of going to a neighborhood party so it was hard to hear the game most of the time.  Fun party but if you really want to watch the game it’s always better in a small setting.  But theChiefs won so I’m happy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:35:57 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS