HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:46:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL 2019  (Read 27692 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2020, 08:33:59 PM »

Jeff...

Just thinking on things. Lombardi Packers epitomize what it means to be a pro football team.

(What? What's with the looks?  Grin Cool Cool Cheesy)

Superbowl II was played January 14, 1968.

The Packers would then go on to a very quick downward slope to aging players, playing past prime years, and not getting things right. Poor coaching choices, players brought in who just didn't pan out, and a derth at defensive skill for years. And years. And years.

Wasn't until Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgrem, Brett Favre and Reggie White's signing turned Titletown, USA, around.

Superbowl XXI was played January 26, 1997.

It was 29 years, 12 days between Superbowl wins.

Now, I hope this isn't salt in the wounds, but it is an eye opener when I decided to go look and compare.

The Cowboys last won a Superbowl January 28th, 1996.

In seventeen days, that will be 24 years ago.

24 years!!!

Comparing that time period to the Packers isn't succinctly apropos. The Packers were garbage. I don't think they won a division crown within that time period at all. At least the Cowboys have, just with loses in the playoffs in your same 2 and a half decades.

But still, even in my 'memory' that doesn't seem 'that long ago' but the comparison with like and like, wow!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 04:34:17 AM »

Well, I forgot to put picks in, but yeah, I would have picked the 49ers over the Vikings-loved it!

And I would have wanted to pick the Titans, but I would have been afraid to really pick them. But I'm glad they did! That was awesome! I love a running back/running team that just OWNS the field!!!!

Tomorrow? I really do think the Chiefs beat the Texans. The Texans, while talented in the games, with a Deshaun Watson who, to me, plays like Brett Favre (party charm, part luck, part will and drive) to get games won, no matter who many INTs he throws, or how he has to play, will just fall to a Chiefs team that has just played solid, not spectacular at all times, but solidliy good defense the end of the season. And Patrick Mahomes is certainly far, far better than Josh Allen of the Bills.

Packers Seahawks....the home team is 7-0 in the last 7 games. I'll pick the home team. Of course I'll pick my team!!! ..but man, I just don't have the faith. But you know what? I haven't 'believed' all season. I've enjoyed being stunned all year. You don't just luck into 13-3 record. You have to beat the teams in front of you, no matter who they are, or how either team plays.  And man, is Seattle just beat to crap! I mean, the Eagles, who were starting  2 guys selling beer in the stadium and an uber driver who just showed up, barely lost! That gives me hope that the Packers really won't worry me that much.

But there's no way the Packers beat the 49ers, right? I don't 'believe' that will happen. Wink

But I wouldn't mind being stunned all the way through a Superbowl win this year. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »

First off ... *ahem* ...

RAVENS GO DOWN!!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Okay, I wanted that so bad and watching Tannehlll shine, whom as I stated, I gave up on long ago, was fantastic. Okay, "shine" is not really true, but man did he look fantastic getting those first two TD's. And Love the call after the stop on 4th and 1 (hahaha, bastards), go for the long ball if it is there. BOOM, was it there!!! Little dude smoked 'em.

Now for the NFC (around week Cool I actually picked the Cowboys to play the 49ers for the championship and sure, I missed the one, but I am even higher on the other now. That is not to say that they can't go down, but I think if all the remaining teams play their best, the 49ers are the best team in the league. Sadly. Haha. If that comes true that makes 3 teams with 6 rings now and while New England looks like they may not reach seven anytime soon and the Steelers have a great shot next year if ... IF Ben comes back to form ... San Fran could easily win the next two back to back, getting them to 7 first before all the rest.
 Cry

As for today, I am sticking with the Chiefs, for one. I agree with Jimmy about Watson (being both good and lucky ... like a certain QB from the North-East  Angry) and then ... man ... I think Seattle has a shot, but AT Green Bay? I think the Pack takes it, mainly because of two reasons: Seattle took a huge hit losing it's RB's (even though they got the old man back) and their once praised Defense is now middle of the "pack". And if the two Aaron's get going ... whew!!

Oh, in the AFC I had Ravens (boo ... but YAY!!!!!  Cheesy) and Chiefs battling for the championship

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 08:56:31 PM »

End of the first Q Hou 21, KC 0

Obviously, I’m rooting for the Texas team!

A Titans vs Texans AFC Championship would be awesome.  Mainly because the Titans used to be the Houston Oilers.  Houston vs Ex-Houston!

Of course, there’s still a lot time left in this game...

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »

But Kansas City used to be the Dallas Texans too!

Talk about torn loyalties! Lol

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 09:21:04 PM »

WHATY IS HAPPENING?! TEXANS COUGH UP ON RETURN, 1ST AND GOAL AFTER JUST SCORING 3 SECONDS AGO FOR THE CHIEFS!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 03:16:42 AM »

Well, I'll be.... an NFC Championship appearance! Who'da thunk it?!

Oh well, a loss next week. "It's just nice to be there."

Just been a disbeliever all year; hard to change now!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2020, 03:52:30 AM »

But Kansas City used to be the Dallas Texans too!

Talk about torn loyalties! Lol

I know, right!  Can’t believe Houston blew that lead and then just plain got slaughtered.  I’ll have to root for the Dallas Texans next week!

The Pack in the NFC championship?  Maybe you’ll get that next ring sooner than you thought!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2020, 04:06:04 AM »

And congrats to Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson.

What moments to witness.

While, I have to *hate* him, Wink , I can't believe it took until the extra 100 people inducted special into the HoF on the 100th anniversary to get Johnson in. As the architect and leader that made the Cowboys into the dynasty that removed the Niners dynasty, it shouldn't have taken that long.

And no slight to Cowher's accomplishment of longevity, winning success, and trophy, but yeah...I guess I would have put Johnson in over Cowher on a list.

But I could be egregriously wrong in that assessment as well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »

First down my ass!!
 Grin
Not saying Green Bay would not have still won the game and I understand how one blind ass side judge (or field judge, I forget which is on which side) can miss a call so obvious (in so much that it was obvious he slid to where you marked him down) but how do we keep going to the F'n booth for review and getting the damn calls wrong there as well? Yes, GB would have probably went for it, but no, it was not a damn first down.

As for the KC/Houston game, I joked with the wife when KC went down by 24 that the game was going to get good when KC started their comeback. She laughed at my obvious attempt at humor and took the dog for a fast walk to the bridge (a little walkover for the stream we have near the house). By the time she came back, about ten minutes later, she came into the tv room and I pointed to the screen  Cheesy Now I didn't expect them to come back in under 4 minutes of game time, but ...
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Wow.
And it was funny how KC screwed up so badly at first and then the bug jumped ship, and then Houston couldn't do anything right.
The game became a blowout, but that first half was amazing football!!!

Now ...

As for Cowher getting in with Jimmy J ... I understand your thinking Jimmy, based on amount of time if for nothing else. Do I think Johnson should have been in before now? Hells yeah!! Do I think he is more deserving, or should be picked over Cowher? I will first answer thusly ... I think both teams got the exact coach they needed at the exact time they needed them and both coaches are deserving of the honor.
 Cheesy

Nice sidestep?

Okay, here ... is Johnson the better coach? Well I can understand people saying so, yep, I can, and while I can't allow myself to say the same, even though I may agree Grin, I will say that while Jimmy was a great coach for the team he was on, Cowher WAS Pittsburgh. No coach, in the modern era, has been more aligned, more a perfect match with the city he represented than Bill "Steel Jaw" Cowher. Now this is where you and a lot of people may disagree with me  Grin, not even Lombardi in Green Bay.
 Smiley Shocked Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2020, 02:04:46 PM »

Johnson should have gone in before Jerry Jones.  But I’m ok with him going in with Cowher. Both were great coaches and I’ve always liked them both.  Obviously I’m a bigger Johnson fan, but I can’t really say who was the “better” coach.  Johnson couldn’t repeat his success when he was at Miami so it really just depends on a lot of different people to have a winning team.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2020, 03:30:14 PM »

All kidding aside, I really can’t say who was the ‘better’ coach at all. I know I always liked Bill Cowher for what he was like with that team-and I liked the Steelers. If there’s a place that feels ‘like’ Green Bay to me, it’s Pittsburgh. Dallas? C’mon, they ruined 3 years of Brett Favre playoffs! I hated seeing those games in Texas Stadium! ARGH what nightmares! Those Cowboys just seemed unstoppable. If not for Steve Young’s play, I think Dallas would have won 4 straight Superbowls.

And man, when Jimmy Johnson went to Miami, I was so excited. HE would get Marino his ring. I just knew it! With a better thrower in Marino, how could they be stopped? Well, they were, and I was sad for it.(neither here nor there)

However, I think Jeff, you said it best. To go in at the same time, I think that’s a great place for both those coaches. I know I think back to that era when I really started to...pay attention, and then know football, and it was Johnson and Cowher, ending of Walsh, coming of Seifert, Schottenheimer, Marv Levy, Holmgrem, ...so yeah...good coaches there! (can’t believe how many I’m forgetting!)((or what my point was. Just that they were great coaches, and had terrific teams).

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2020, 05:04:07 PM »

If not for Marv Levy, I think Dallas would have won 1 straight Superbowl.

Fixed that for ya
 Grin Grin

Just kidding, just kidding.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »

Obviously I’m a bigger Johnson fan....

Hmmmm.  In retrospect, I should have phrased that better.......

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2020, 12:10:37 AM »

So!

I think the Chiefs will beat the Titans. I may be misunderstanding the Titans magic this year. Perhaps they are the 9-7 Giants that beat my 15-1 Packers to go on and win the Superbowl. Maybe...but I'm rooting for the Chiefs.

And of course I'll root for the Packers! But I have even less faith that they'll win. If the Niners play like last week...I don't know. The Packers still had some drives and offense of nothing last week. But shit, I could be surprised and they win! Then they could be in a Superbowl!

Then I have to worry about watching a Superbowl loss....cuz I don't believe enough...

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS