HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:08:04 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL 2019  (Read 27701 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 05:35:10 AM »

I had kind of thought that would be Jeff's answer, and from this Wisconsin guy, that's about what I would think I was led to believe from media and other accounts.

However, I believe that I would have a response like Perry did for Tomlin, but in media circles, and this layperson viewer, would think that he is a pretty decent coach. However, Perry would disagree there. Cheesy

That said, I'm hopeful about Matt LaFleur with the Packers here. But man, even with a 13-3 year, it was rough. <ok yes, yes, I'm getting glares from the both of you>

But there have been whole halves, in damn near every other game this season, where no offense happens. At all. And some of the plays that have come during each of those 3 and outs were...f***ing dumb. Like, 'what are you thinking LaFleur?' You got the job, who are you trying to impress. I mean, against the Bears, I think there were 3 3 and outs where they didn't move the ball a foot. Like, where the hell is a damn slant? Just throw a damn slant pass. Do it. How about the TE 8 yard curl and stop? Some of that definitely comes on Rodgers; just throw the ball. Throw the damn ball. Try throwing a guy open for a change, and throw it in the best place for your receiver to fight for it. He has not done that this season, or at least sparingly.

Now, don't judge this critique only by that last game; he was awful. That offense was awful. F***ing Jimmy Graham should have been ditched last year; he in no way resembles the player he was 5 years ago in New Orleans. Everyone thought the Saints were insane to trade him to Seattle; turns out, I think they knew something. Because he did not flourish in Seattle either. And the dude can't run block.

And what I wouldn't give to have Randall Cobb back from your Cowboys. A quick position receiver? Gets open enough to make that 7 yard catch? Almost every time? YES PLEASE.

This offense has not come alive in a while...and too often, I wonder if Rodgers is more suspect than not. Remember, he's had 2 broken collar bones in the last 4 years. He's 36 now...and maybe we're spoiled now with Favre, Brady, Brees, but Elway retired at 38. Marino's numbers and play really started slipping at 36, and he retired 2 years later. Montana was 38. Kurt Warner was 38. Rich Gannon 39. Eli may not play again at 38. Philipp Rivers is 38 and has lost some spark. Roethlisberger will try to come back after surgery at 39.

I'm just...sad looking at the end mortality of Rodgers' football career. 1 year, 4 years; the best may be done. And I know I'm spoiled with watching 2 consecutive Hall of Fame, Superbowl winning quarterbacks for 28 years. WOW.

But there's a wee part of my mind that worries...well...it's taken A LONG TIME for the 49ers to recover to any kind of their current greatness. Look at the Raiders post Gannon. Or if I would be a Vikings fan (I'm ignoring the obvious Browns and Bengals situation).

and no, no one deserves a ring. I also think statements of '...he should have 3 or 4 rings by now on a better team' are also dumb as hell. The Patriots are an amazing anomaly; probably never duplicated? But to say Rodgers and Favre were 'wasted' because they each only have 1 ring, or only 3 Superbowl appearances between them both is asinine. Turns out, there is this whole other part of the team called 'defense' that has a big say in what happens in those games. Would I love to have had a Superbowl win for all the NFC championship games I've watch them in (7)? Sure! But hey, that many appearances, without being the Patriots, hey, that's great for the organization and fandom too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Good rant Jimmy!!!

Jimmy's reply, in-depth and from a knowledgeable fans point of view, is exactly how I feel about Tomlin. He is a bad "Head" coach.

Oh sure, he can talk the talk, he does that with perfection, he is the one person I would have talking to the media everyday. Hell, no doubt he is a "media" guru and a motivational wordsmith beyond measure, but his lack of actually "coaching" drives me up the wall. Let's not forget (I'm not going to go into all the bad calls I have seen over the years like his "Coaches Challenge" success rate for one three year period being below 25% at one point ... and some of those were so damn obvious that Matt Murdoch, watching the game on tv, would see he would lose if he threw the flag  Angry Angry) that this is the guy responsible (as much as anyone can be "responsible" for another's actions) for producing the ego monster that is Antonio Brown. Oh sure, again, Brown is his own person and should be held accountable for ALL his actions, but this "coach of men" allowed him to become the monster that Brown is today. Time after time this "head coach" let him Brown be late to meetings, this "head coach" let Brown record the locker room, this "head coach" let him talk down to other players and act like he was above any and all rules. Does Belichick allow that shit? Sean Peyton? Hell no.
And then when the Steelers organization finally says "enough" it is far too late. Brown is a guy that needed some authority or in the very least he needed some help and this "coach of the year" candidate did NOTHING but allow his crap to continue

*pant, pant, pant*
 Grin Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 08:38:50 PM »

Wild card weekend!

I'm calling:
Texans over Bills
Titans over Patriots!!!!

Saints over Vikings
and....
Eagles over Seahawks!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2020, 05:23:32 PM »

YAY Pats go down!!!

So happy about that. Man, you have no idea.

So, good calls Jimmy. Batting .1000 so far  Grin

I wanted the Bills to win, no reason really, other than I spent a lot of time at The Dirty Buffalo watching Steeler games that were not on TV and I got to know a good group of Bills fans while there. They had a real shot, but I am so confused why they didn't run the ball at all in OT and hardly at all at the end of the 4th. I mean Josh Allen was making horrible mistake after worse mistake and yet they don't run? Crazy. And the way Watson got out of the sack ... yeah, the Bills lost that game but letting them come back from 16 points down at the half.

The Patriot game... hahaha, just so much joy. Nice to see Tannehill (a QB I originally drafted before giving up on him) do so well with his new team. Hoping they go far, but I need to see who I really want in the AFC to go. I just know No Pats (check) and no Ravens .... ohhhh
 Cheesy

Hoping for the Saints today (only because of the total reem they got last year), but won't mind to see the Vikes take it.
I'm sure Jimmy agrees.
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

And while I am a Seahawks fan by marriage, I am secretly pulling for the Eagles. Any team that can come back and get into the playoffs with the injuries they have had to their starters ... and the back ups to those starters ... yeah, that is my Cinderella team that I hope for.
I am sure Jeff agrees.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2020, 09:32:38 PM »

I am sure Jeff agrees.

Yeah...uh...no.  Go Seahawks!

I’m of course pulling for the Texans.  If  they lose, I’ll pull the Ex-Dallas Texans now known as Kansas City Chiefs.

But I picked Baltimore to win the Super Bowl this year.  Just hoping I was wrong.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2020, 09:35:56 PM »

Man, I know that one play or bad call never makes or breaks a win ... sorry, you have enough plays on Def and Offense to make up for bad calls ... however ... man, the Saints got hosed again by the last TD. Rudolph pushed off like crazy and they didn't even review it?
Not a Saints fan and again, it is never one play, but daaaaaamn.
 Grin Grin Grin

Gonna hear from the Saints fans again this year how they were hosed by one bad call  Grin And it was a bad call.
(You have to review that.)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2020, 11:26:32 PM »

OH man, I just realized that I'm the fantasy Saints. Dammit! Across both my leagues too!!

There are always plays to make or break a game. I'm sure there are plenty of push offs in the other 59 minutes that could be called. But to not even decide to review it? C'mon!!! that is a full arm extension.

Davante Adams for the Packers has had 3 calls of offensive pass interference this year. One call was with his arm against the chest of the defender, and the defender slipped while turning back around looking for the ball, and his arm straightened out-called it!

But the refs refusing to call the right call at the end of the game, last play? Screw that!

OR, OR OR!!

Against the Texans,  That Texan guy did not down it in the end zone, flipped the ball away, the ref ran away from it, Buffalo recovered, ruled Buffalo Touchdown? But 'common sense prevailed' and they gave it back to the Texans? FUCK THAT. Either follow the Rule of Law, or all things are subjective. He didn't down the ball. It'd be the same thing if the qb went to spike, just did the motion, never let the ball hit the ground, then tossed it to the ref who didn't catch it, and it was recovered by the defense. No different.

Rules are rules. Don't decide arbitraliry 'that's what he meant to do.' That's egregious to me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 02:47:57 AM »

I hate the Seahawks. I hate Pete Carroll so much. I'm always still bothered that he jumped ship from the Patriots when the going got tough with that team (and I maybe want to believe he said he wouldn't leave), but then he bailed from USC for Seattle when it looked like penalties would come against him due to kickbacks with the program there.

Also, that damned defense has always been so good, and Russell Wilson....just finds ways to win! With nobodies!! And that damn team wins!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 11:01:34 AM »

Damn Philly almost pulled it off again ... after losing two more starters, one of which was their QB on a total cheap ass shot to the back of his head  Angry (meaning they almost won with a 40 year old never-was), they had a shot. Sure, not a great shot, but for a team that had been so devastated with injuries, I lift my glass in a toast. Great coaching and great drive to almost pull it off!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 03:38:20 PM »

Congrats to the 'Boys fans out there. Talk about getting a coaching upgrade!!

Wonder what Jimmy thanks though. He may have more "fan" insight than us other guys.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 12:10:24 AM »

Congrats to the 'Boys fans out there. Talk about getting a coaching upgrade!!

Wonder what Jimmy thanks though. He may have more "fan" insight than us other guys.

Poor McCarthy is coming to a town of beat down fans.  I'm excited for the change and McCarthy is a good upgrade but my pessimism says "wait and see".  After all, Jerry is still there.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2020, 01:47:03 PM »

As I said before, I've always called McCarthy a lunkhead. Like, he's not an idiot, he's not a fool, but he's...that lunkhead who walks through a crowded cafeteria and knocks people's trays to the floor. He's the guy who'll wreck something in the garage, when the correct tool was there if he would have just looked.

Now, I don't know all what Rogers truly did and didn't do. There are a million talking heads which will call him aloof, in his own realm, sensitive and bruises easy, and honestly, not a damn one of them talks to him. They all repeat what each other said. But, what I don't know is, well, the last 2 years with McCarthy, in every 3rd and 1 situation, it was a shotgun snap with an empty backfield. Like, there was no illusion it would be a run. And that's where it got me many times throughout the tenure with the Packers; worse so in the last 4 seasons...the playcalling was ...foolish. Where I would go "What makes you think that dopey play was going to work, ya lunkhead?!"

If your team is rushing less than 75 yards per game, and the team you are playing is only allowing you 1.7 yards a rush, and you've only run the ball 11 times in the game, but 1 min left in the game from the 1 yard line, you run straight up the gut to no success each down? WHY would you think that would suddenly work based off of everything you just called?!

Too many situations like that were called. It was confusing and befuddling at times.

BUT

BUT

It was also well known how pissed and frustrated McCarthy was with our GM Ted Thompson, who refused to do free agency at all, and only buidl through the draft. He's a year removed now, but from his last 3 draft classes? We have 3 starting players. That's it. The talent has not been on this team for a while. McCarthy was real hamstring with having no TE, or when we did get Jared Cook, isntead of paying him, let him walk in free agency! What a missed chancE!!!! Then get that worthless Jimmy Graham instead. Ugh.

Haven't had a running back worth a damn in years. Since Eddy Lacy flamed and washed out after 2014, we haven't had a 1,000 year rusher for 5 years. That's pathetic.

So, McCarthy was also dealing with a huge lack of talent, and lack of production on defense. Defense was filled with guys, all drafted, who kept getting paid by the Packers, but were not starting guys on any other defensive team. Nick Perry being the worst offender. Every D-end since BJ Raji's sudden retirement.

But...when the man has the pieces...that offense is great. Our Superbowl era of Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and even with Jermichael Finley got involved? Man, just awesome.

And I truly hope he's looked at the way offenses are run, realizes his faults, finds what he's done well and merge it well.

Not that I want to see Dallas do it.  Cheesy Tongue Grin, but I want to see him have success with the team. Also...should he mold that team into a Superbowl winner? Being a Superbowl winning coach on 2 different teams? Those teams being the Packers and Cowboys? what a legacy!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »

I for one hope Dallas and Green Bay both win the title with-in 3 years time. BUT, I want the Steelers to get at least one more before Dallas gets theirs ... cushion ya know.
 Grin

How about this, as Big Ben is injury prone and getting up there, let the Steelers win this next, upcoming year, then Green Bay and then Dallas. Dallas is the youngest so they can wait.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »

Sounds like a great plan to me! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2020, 03:11:22 AM »

Lol!  As long as we get one soon I’m good!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS