HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:28:20 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Boys - Season 1  (Read 4456 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 07, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »

Finished Episodes 1, 2, & 3.

My reaction is coming from one who has not read any of the comics so I have no idea if it is staying true to the source material or not.

But I can say - I LOVE THIS SHOW!

I'll be picking up the trades once I'm done watching this.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:15:36 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 01:28:08 AM »

I'm sad, and a dick, because there was a Humble Bundle of ALL the The Boys trades...and like, 20 other Garth Ennis trades.

And I didn't know to say a thing... Undecided Lips sealed

I'm really sorry.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

I really am. I'm sorry.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 02:37:29 AM »

I'm sad, and a dick, because there was a Humble Bundle of ALL the The Boys trades...and like, 20 other Garth Ennis trades.

I'm really sorry.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

I really am. I'm sorry.

Oh Jimbo - do not apologize at all.  I'm a ComiXology Unlimited member and that gets me the first six trades for FREE.  Volumes 7-12 are on sale right now as well for up to 60% off.  In fact - I'm going to go ahead and buy them before the price goes back up!

EDIT:  Also - I have no idea what Humble Bundle is.  Do tell.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:43:06 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:34:01 PM »

Finished!!  There's only 8 episodes and once you get started you just can't stop watching.

I can't wait for a season 2!

Cast was amazing - Karl Urban,  Simon Pegg, Elizabeth Shue, Ann Cusak, and the newbies are great too.

No spoilers - but you have to watch this!  Loved loved loved it!!

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »

I havent started this yet but my daughter said she put it on for background noise while cleaning her room and after what she described as the "running scene" in the first few moments of the show, she had to spot, rewind and start again.  She didnt stop until it was finished with the series.  she also loved it.

i have a ton of shows on my binge list but will get to this eventually and like Jeff, never read to book so coming in clean.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »

It is really well done. Great acting, nice take on the comic series and the changes work.

I have been trying to describe the series to those that have never tried it and I think one of my podcast guys said it best (I just don't remember who it was  Angry) when he said -
The comic series is a more juvenile way to tell the story

Now he didn't mean it as a slam, the book is just so much more over the top that it does become too much at times.

For example, just one of the differences in the show is how Starlight was greeted at the 7 base. In the show, a character greets her, lies to her, convinces her to do something and yes it was a shitbag thing to do, but in the comic I remember it going very differently when three of the 7 greet her. The entire run of the book is similar to that. Just very over the top and pretty much a 15 year olds idea of a comic.

Now I say that with feeling that it was/is still a good series, I enjoyed it, even though I stopped reading around issue 20 (I think I remember Jimmy being very pissed about it, but I could be 100% wrong about that ... Oh, and by pissed I don't mean he was pissed that I read up to issue 20 ... hahaha  Cheesy, no that is just my idiotic way of typing. I mean he was pissed about how the series was written and drawn. Again, IF i remember that correctly, it could have been ... oh damn ... the guy that left to go to Rotten Tomatoes I think it was? ).

ANYWAY ...

I will say that if you do read the series, you will be spoiling season 2 for yourself. I heard about something that happened and I am so mad that I didn't just wait to see how they handled that in the show first.
 Angry Cry

Yeah, loved the show. I think more than the comic
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 02:18:58 AM »

I"m trying to remember how far into I did read.

But Perry's right; there's a crassness, and a immaturity to it, like Ennis was just having a blast taking a piss all over the sacred cows of comics; the Justice League will always be the best and do the most right; Captain America's patriotism is something to never call into question, all 'good' heroes abide by the greatest golden rule that they can all hold each other to.

That's not in 'The Boys.' What I liked about it was the 'real world' angle spin of 'hey, these supers are like any other people you see walking done the street; meaning, they are probably rude, wrapped up in their world, dirtbags, assholes, conceited, selfish' so why should powers make them different?

Now,? Wanting to take them down? I'm all about taking out the establishment! (in a narrative manner), but once I get back to the point I remember, I kind of want to see how Hughie gets through everything.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 02:23:34 AM »

I'm really sorry.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

I really am. I'm sorry.

Oh Jimbo - do not apologize at all.  I'm a ComiXology Unlimited member and that gets me the first six trades for FREE.  Volumes 7-12 are on sale right now as well for up to 60% off.  In fact - I'm going to go ahead and buy them before the price goes back up!

EDIT:  Also - I have no idea what Humble Bundle is.  Do tell.

Humble Bundle is this online...thrift shop? LOL that's not right. They sell tons of discounted games (all online stuff), but books, computer programs, and then they'll do things for charity as well. that's when I almost always buy. They have different levels of charity; bid $5, get the first 3 The Boys and Just a pilgrim. Go to level 2, now it's $10 and a bit more. Level 3 is usually only $15, or $20, and that's when I got...seriously....25+ Ennis trades. I always try to give like $10 over.

I did this for some of my roleplaying stuff; I ended up getting 45 roleplaying books, rules books, supplements, and adventures for $30. Did the same with some comics groups of that roleplaying company before that.

Stuff is mostly a 'miss' for me, but when it's something I'm down for, man, the charity pricing can't be beat!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 10:13:02 AM »

Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but Jimmy, I have always wondered about the books on HumBun when they have a novel sale.

Are they usually digital, paperback or hardcover with full size, regular print editions or are they like the old Book Club style editions (smaller) or what? Are they all over the place as far as condition and style?
If you know that is.  Grin You may not have bought any "novels" but just thought I would ask as I have always wondered about it, and never took the time to ask them, so I will ask you
 Cheesy

Thanks regardless
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 06:33:02 PM »

Everything's digital, as far as I know. You can download them in 3-4 formats too!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 12:16:22 PM »

Everything's digital, as far as I know. You can download them in 3-4 formats too!

Ahhh, thanks. Always wondered about that. Makes more sense than shipping out stuff  Cheesy

And Season 2 of the Boys is already filming!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS