HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:50:47 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: House of X - Powers of X  (Read 13048 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 17, 2019, 08:34:15 PM »

This has got me pumped up again about the future of the X-Men with Hickman at the helm.  I may not be able to wait 6 months for this on Marvel Unlimited.  

Comic Preview Click Here

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:37:20 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »

I know it killed me reading X-Force and Uncanny about 4 months ago. No need to read something we know is going to get wiped away in a couple months.
First issue is out next week ... Does Jeff buy? Does Jeff wait? Tune in next week and discover with us, won't you?
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:58:55 PM »

House of X #1
------------------

I liked it.  In fact, loved every page of it.

There are so many characters in here that I vaguely remember or don't know at all.  Some may be new and I'll have to wait and see. 

But wow.  The bar has been raised.  And raised high.

These next four months are going to bring the X-Men to a whole new level and I can't wait!

One thing I think Perry will love......
Hickman writing the Fantastic Four.  I bet this makes you hate what they are doing in their own book even more.    Sad

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 09:00:03 PM »

Here is the reading order for these two kick-off mini series as per Hickman.

House of X 1 - July 24, 2019
Powers of X 1 - July 31, 2019
House of X 2 - August 7, 2019
Powers of X 2 - August 14, 2019
Powers of X 3 - August 21, 2019
House of X 3 - August 28, 2019
House of X 4 - September 4, 2019
Powers of X 4 - September 11, 2019
House of X 5 - September 18, 2019
Powers of X 5 - September 25, 2019
House of X 6 - October 2, 2019
Powers of X 6 - October 9, 2019

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 11:23:41 AM »

Soooo, I read it, I came home and now I have to go back and read it again
 Grin
I enjoyed it, a lot and the best thing, I think this is one of those rare comics that are more than worth the full purchase price.

And let me say (and WILL be throwing spoilers all over the place here folks, so be safe and stay away if you haven't read it yet ... Oh and ...

One thing I think Perry will love......
Hickman writing the Fantastic Four.  I bet this makes you hate what they are doing in their own book even more.    Sad

Yes I did and yes IT did
 Angry

I swear I spent waaaay too much time on his ... I don't know what to call them ... break pages or graphic information pages ... anyway, so much information there to be had. Even in the corners where it has the
and
"Xavier Alpha"
at the bottom of one page .. that type stuff. I tried to decipher what they mean, mostly to no avail  Grin
Which brings me to a question that Jeff brought up -

Here is the reading order for these two kick-off mini series as per Hickman.

House of X 1 - July 24, 2019
Powers of X 1 - July 31, 2019
House of X 2 - August 7, 2019
Powers of X 2 - August 14, 2019
Powers of X 3 - August 21, 2019
House of X 3 - August 28, 2019
House of X 4 - September 4, 2019
Powers of X 4 - September 11, 2019
House of X 5 - September 18, 2019
Powers of X 5 - September 25, 2019
House of X 6 - October 2, 2019
Powers of X 6 - October 9, 2019

Now I can't remember which ones they were, so I won't highlight them (maybe Jeff can when he reads this), but I was wondering why three (or four) of those issues were printed in Red color? There seemed to be no reason that I could see. I mean it wasn't when a title shipped ahead of another title or anything. Do you know the reason Jeff? Did I miss something with that?

Moving on and boy oh boy here is a shot in the dark ... None of these characters are the X-Men  Shocked Shocked Shocked

In the opening we actually see "people" being birthed from pods. Xavier looks more like the Maker, Magneto wearing that Fantomex look, Wolverine playing with kids, was that Cable that had the glowing eye after he came out of the pod?... I don't know, things seem off.

Now I am 99.99999% sure I am 100% wrong with all of that  Grin, but that pod thing ... really got in my head. Deeply.

Also, going back to the Hickman white pages  Grin
Is states on the Krakoa page, in one of those corners I was referring on trying to figure out what they all meant, that Krakoa is something like
"x" amount of size on Pacific
"x" amount in total (the total being larger)
and we see a dotted area in the map of Krakoa ... is that underwater? Is that an unknown? Is that why the size discrepancy? Just curios. Things like that make me love Hickman.

Also, did you take the time to decipher the coded message at the end of the book? I didn't but wanted to look it up today. Have not done so yet.
 Grin 

So much here to love.
I love the Mutant stance of - This world could be ours in an instant but we are happy to just stay on our little Island. We will LET you have the rest of the world, but this is the one place you will not be. Fuck off!

Love how they planted Krakoa all over the place to use as gateways

Love the Hickman page with the drug listing ... the "L" drug, the "M" drug ...

Love the nod to how powerful Franklin is, love the Omega Level chart ... I had heard Hickman hated that "Omega Level Mutant" was never set on a scale, so he took it upon himself to finally say what an Omega Level Mutant is and what it means.

I could go on.
I even love this book not knowing a lot of the darn characters  Cheesy I mean I was basically out of the X-Men for a long time but I think the girl Mags was talking to was one of those Coo-Coos ... yeah? I know nothing about them, just a name I remember hearing so I am thinking that way.
I now a little about Cypher
there was one name ... it sounded like ... damn I can't remember ... something about or like ... Ron Lizardhead? or T-Rex ....Hahahahaha
I know that wasn't it, but ... damn it ... I can't remember the name now.

Anyway, I will leave it there, for now.... sorry for being all over the place and having so many grammatical errors  Cheesy Grin ... so much goodness
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »

On the highlighted issues - In the preview issue there is an interview with Hickman or the editor or someone where they say House of X #2 is a mind blowing issue.  It’s one of the highlighted ones so my pure speculation is that the highlighted ones are major reveal issues.  That’s my only guess.

And yes, I loved the informational pages as much as the story.

You have missed a lot if you weren’t sure about the Stepford Cuckoos.  They’re from the Morrison era but have grown into their own over the past decade.  There were originally 5 but two have died and only three are left. They are awesome.

The woman Cypher was with is Sage.  I had forgotten all about her but she was a big part of the team in the early 2000’s (I think?).  I need a refresher on her.

The smugness of the mutants was cool to see but you know it has to lead to some kind of fall.

So much in this first issue!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »

Hey !!!  Grin .... Looks like I'm not the only one thinking this ...
X-Men?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 02:13:43 AM »

Hey !!!  Grin .... Looks like I'm not the only one thinking this ...
X-Men?

Nice call Perry.  It would explain a lot.  With Hickman you just never know!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 12:41:48 AM »

Great article about all the gushing over House of X #1.  Helps bring back the perspective that essentially - this is one issue and all of fandom has gone nuts with expectation.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07/29/house-of-x-the-second-coming-of-morrisons-new-x-men-x-ual-healing-7-24-19/

Very good point that we should wait until the prologue is done before making overarching claims about the impact this will have on the X-Men franchise.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 12:58:12 AM »

You have missed a lot if you weren’t sure about the Stepford Cuckoos.  They’re from the Morrison era but have grown into their own over the past decade.  There were originally 5 but two have died and only three are left. They are awesome.

Ok wow.  I didn't realize it but the two Cuckoo's in House of X #1....are the two that have been dead for years.   Shocked

Read that here:  http://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/07/26/hox-pox-tox-annotating-house-of-x-1/

This is a great deconstruction, page by page, of House of X #1.  Comes with an alphabet conversion for the Krakoa/Mutant language.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:25:39 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 01:41:25 AM »

On the highlighted issues - In the preview issue there is an interview with Hickman or the editor or someone where they say House of X #2 is a mind blowing issue.  It’s one of the highlighted ones so my pure speculation is that the highlighted ones are major reveal issues.  That’s my only guess.

The highlighted issues:
House of X 2
House of X 5
Powers of X 6

These are going to be the pivotal issues that will bring things back in on themselves.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 01:52:16 AM »

Moving on and boy oh boy here is a shot in the dark ... None of these characters are the X-Men  Shocked Shocked Shocked

In the opening we actually see "people" being birthed from pods. Xavier looks more like the Maker, Magneto wearing that Fantomex look, Wolverine playing with kids, was that Cable that had the glowing eye after he came out of the pod?... I don't know, things seem off.

Now I am 99.99999% sure I am 100% wrong with all of that  Grin, but that pod thing ... really got in my head. Deeply.

I just had a CRAZY thought in reference to your theory.....

Let's say your right.  What if all of this is created by Moria McTaggart?  What if she is the bad guy (girl)?  She looks to be heavily on the kaleidoscope cover of House of X #2 and that is the first highlighted issue.  I think that might be her on the cover of Powers of X 6 which is the last issue of the mini series.  This is purely a guess on my part but they could be leading us that way.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »

Powers of X 1

Loved it.  Several time jumps.  Cool new characters.  Return of some old ones.

The Onion starts to peel.

My crazy theory up above could be starting to come true!

Also loved that...
Rasputin has multiple powers from different X-Men, including Quentin Quire.  Very Cool!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:20:47 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 02:35:43 AM »

This excitement is awesome! C'mon Unlimited!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 06:06:58 PM »

Okay, I am alert now, naturally alert at least so let me dive into what I've been dying to dive into ...

... Comes with an alphabet conversion for the Krakoa/Mutant language.

Did you decipher it? Or look it up? I keep meaning to but haven't yet. I guess I will after this.
 Smiley

The highlighted issues:
House of X 2
House of X 5
Powers of X 6

These are going to be the pivotal issues that will bring things back in on themselves.

Sweet. Okay, and yeah, that Hickman quote does make sense with your idea. Thanks.

I just had a CRAZY thought in reference to your theory.....

Let's say your right.  What if all of this is created by Moria McTaggart?  What if she is the bad guy (girl)?  She looks to be heavily on the kaleidoscope cover of House of X #2 and that is the first highlighted issue.  I think that might be her on the cover of Powers of X 6 which is the last issue of the mini series.  This is purely a guess on my part but they could be leading us that way.

Yeah, I like it. That would ... that would be cool. I am just a little outside this, not really reading or staying up to date onthe X-Men, it is a hindrance. Like when you discussed the Dead Cuckoos  ... I know nothing about them, so to me most of this is new. That is kinda cool, but it also means that your idea about Moria makes me happy, yet also has not impact because I have no idea what ever became of her since ... man, I can't even remember.
 Cheesy
But hey, looking it over, the latest two issues I mean, you could be 100% right. And I could certainly be 100% wrong as we are shown in Powers of X that Charles or whomever he may be, does have telekinetic powers, having
just pulled the drive from Mystique's hand with his thoughts ... UNLESS that was Mags using his power?
Ha, just trying to keep my idea alive is all I am doing.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Powers of X 1

Loved it.  Several time jumps.  Cool new characters.  Return of some old ones.

The Onion starts to peel.

My crazy theory up above could be starting to come true!

Also loved that...
Rasputin has multiple powers from different X-Men, including Quentin Quire.  Very Cool!

Yeah, that was cool. I loved the issue as well and really excited that I am getting X-Men again. For the first true time since that Bishop appearance
 Grin

Like the Cardinal idea. I ... and I know I am going to be blasted for this, but I am not really that familiar with Nimrod either. I know about him, but not to the degree that most readers do. It was nice not really needing to know though, the way this is being done.

Yeah, this is great stuff.

Breeding Pits of Mars!!!!?Huh
 Grin Cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS