HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:09:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 19, 2019  (Read 6693 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:44 PM »

Getting a jump start on tomorrow's list since I finished early this week.  My list looks a little lite but I do have three TPB's in there so I didn't want to over do it.  I'm expecting to have some more free time this week so if I blaze through these I'll add more later.

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 17
17   Transmetropolitan   #42   2/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #43   3/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #44   4/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #45   5/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan: Filth of the City   Vol 1   5/16/2001

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Royal City Vol 1: Next of Kin (Collects issues 1-5) - More Jeff Lemire independent stuff!!
Cemetery Beach Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-7)
Spencer & Locke Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-4)

Marvel Unlimited
Asguardians of the Galaxy 4
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9
Web of Venom: Carnage Born 1
Fantastic Four 4
Fantastic Four Wedding Special
X-Men: The Exterminated 1
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

===============================

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:29:17 PM »

Price dropped on Redneck and Incursion today so I picked them up and am adding them to the list.  Now to get started.....

17   Transmetropolitan   #42   2/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #43   3/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #44   4/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #45   5/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan: Filth of the City   Vol 1   5/16/2001

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
ADD:  Redneck 20
ADD:  Incursion 4

Royal City Vol 1: Next of Kin (Collects issues 1-5) - More Jeff Lemire independent stuff!!

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9
Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:32:47 AM »

17   Transmetropolitan   #42   2/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #43   3/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #44   4/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan   #45   5/13/2001
17   Transmetropolitan: Filth of the City   Vol 1   5/16/2001

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Asguardians of the Galaxy 4 - Ok I'm not sure I can say this out loud...the frog is growing on me.

Black Order 1 & 2 - Now this was interesting.  Different.  I'm staying on this for awhile.

West Coast Avengers 4 & 5 - Issue 4 wrapped up the arc and 5 started a new one.  Not bad but I've grown tired of the lame comedy.  I thought the Quentin Quire and Spidergwen dynamic was fun to read but not enough to stay with it for me.  Others mileage may vary.

Venom 9 - Dang this is such a great comic.  New arc and great jumping on point if you've been missing out.

Web of Venom: Carnage Born 1 - Donny Cates doesn't disappoint here.  He's bringing a rebirth that just may tie into his current Venom run.  Carnage is back and bloodier than ever.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:30:44 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »

Black Order 1 & 2 - Now this was interesting.  Different.  I'm staying on this for awhile.

Or at least for three mores issues  Wink

West Coast Avengers 4 & 5 - Issue 4 wrapped up the arc and 5 started a new one.  Not bad but I've grown tired of the lame comedy.  I thought the Quentin Quire and Spidergwen dynamic was fun to read but not enough to stay with it for me.  Others mileage may vary.

Awww, that is sad. I hate that this didn't hit for you. I loved the street sharks  Cheesy ... or whatever they are called Cheesy and this series also had a short life span of only 10 issues. I guess people felt more like you than like me  Cheesy Couldn't even last a full 12 issues.

Venom 9 - Dang this is such a great comic.  New arc and great jumping on point if you've been missing out.

Man I really need to get back on that title !!

Read a couple at the shop yesterday, before getting sick ... oh yeah, I'm currently sick as a dog right now (I wonder where that "_____ like a dog" came from?) and I discovered that I will have to read From Hell all over again once it is collected. It could be I was just getting the chills and the old brain wasn't on point, but I was lost while reading it. I realized later what was going on, to the best I could that is, but for some reason (again, maybe sickness?) I was just confused.

Oh man ... hahaha ... when I say From Hell I of course mean A Walk Through Hell. OOoops. Mind is still loopy  Cheesy

Psi-Lords #1 - Not sure I'm staying on this one. Valiant's latest felt very clunky and the painted art ... meh
A Walk Through Hell #11 - A month away from the last issue (thanks Jeff!) and I may decide to not read that last one and just wait on the collection. I need to read this in one sitting or at least in chunks. I need to get the names and events in my head better. I get the gist of it
FBI involved in burying evidence (sealed documents of a minor) and killing a murderer
but somewhere I lost the characters and what each one did. They even showed why
the guy with the gun to his head from issue ... #1 or #2? ... the one that kept shooting himself in the head ...
and I can't remember why he was doing it. And it was shown in this last issue
 Angry
Again, I'm sick.
 Undecided
(that is my excuse)

Spider-Man Life Story #4 - This one I do remember!! This series is so cool taking Peter and aging him through the decades in real time. Each issue spotlights a story from one decade starting in the 60's. This decade focuses on 90's and we all know what was happening to Peter in the 90's don't we? Yep, the Clone Saga!!!
Trying to remember what the 00's would showcase and I am thinking Ultimate Spider-Man? Maybe?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »

Completely caught up on Saga.  Cry Cry

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »

And damnit, Jeff, quit making it seem like I'm missing out by not reading the symbiote books! I loved them back in the day, but I'm not 14 anymore, they're such a one trick pony, overexposed, and,... and, and well, I don't know, but I don't want to want to read them!

Wink Tongue Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 10:39:46 PM »

Spider-Man Life Story #4 - This one I do remember!! This series is so cool taking Peter and aging him through the decades in real time. Each issue spotlights a story from one decade starting in the 60's. This decade focuses on 90's and we all know what was happening to Peter in the 90's don't we? Yep, the Clone Saga!!!
Trying to remember what the 00's would showcase and I am thinking Ultimate Spider-Man? Maybe?

This sounds really interesting.  I'll have to make sure to pick it when it hits MU.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:40:53 PM »

And damnit, Jeff, quit making it seem like I'm missing out by not reading the symbiote books! I loved them back in the day, but I'm not 14 anymore, they're such a one trick pony, overexposed, and,... and, and well, I don't know, but I don't want to want to read them!

Wink Tongue Cheesy

If it helps - I never read the Symbiote books in the past - always sounded stupid to me.  So this is ALL NEW for me!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 11:43:52 PM »

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Fantastic Four 4 - I'm not hating this yet like Perry.  But I am ready for them to be settled back on Earth and for new stories to start.

Gideon Falls 13 - Man, I am sooooooo confused and lost in this story.  I'm going to have to re-read this whole thing I think.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 01:27:07 AM »

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Transmetropolitan   #42 - Another one shot, comic length article by Spider about the down trodden in the world.  Me thinks this is actually a setup for things to come.

Transmetropolitan   #43, 44, & 45 - Three part story with a surprise ending.  The assistants are sometimes the best part of this series.

Transmetropolitan: Filth of the City - 48 page collection of news articles by Spider just like the "I Hate It Here" issue.  Getting into Spider's head is one weird fun ride.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 02:38:48 AM »

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Low 22 - Looks like we're heading towards a conclusion.  I see the characters starting to come back together.  All depends on how that cliff hanger last page plays out!

Redneck 20 - Love this book.  The stakes are getting higher, the table is getting set, and any other analogy you can think of to describe that...the plot thickens!

Incursion 4 - Decent enough mini.  Typical tone for an Eternal Warrior story.  Mainly sets things up for the future with these characters.  And I like it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 09:52:32 PM »

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Royal City Vol 1: Next of Kin (Collects issues 1-5) -Oh Man!!  I don't want to stop reading now!!  Not at this cliffhanger!!  Arrrrgh.  DAMN YOU JEFF LEMIRE!!!  I'm sucked into another one.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 12:44:21 AM »

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Fantastic Four Wedding Special - Bachelorette party by Gail Simone.  Yeah, just as lame as it sounds.  Ben asking Puppet Master for permission.  Not as lame as it sounds but not terrible either.  Hembeck Puppet Master "story" amusing.  Overall - not a must read.

X-Men: The Exterminated 1 - This is the epilogue issue.  Not a bad story with Hope and Jean (and Deadpool) but not much more than a 3 star story.  And you know, I really don't remember how Extermination ended (other than the character death).  Did I miss the ending?  Or was it so boring I can't remember.  Weird since X-Man shows up in......

Uncanny X-Men 4 - Ugh.  I'm not enjoying this.  I don't know how X-Man got to this point since he was so different in Extermination.  It has potential with these characters but I'm not feeling the X-Men here.

Mr. & Mrs. X 6 - And with this I'm 0-4 on the comics I read for this section.  This was so bad I've decided to drop this title.  Honestly, I stopped reading at page 12 and just flipped through to the end.

Maybe I need to add more Royal City or Transmetropolitan to this weeks list..........
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:47:10 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 01:38:21 AM »

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Cemetery Beach Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-7) - Holy Cow! I needed that after the last four comics I read.  This was one giant adrenaline ride for what equates to 7 issues.  WOW THAT WAS FUN!  Glad I didn't read this monthly because it HAS TO BE READ collected.  Warren Ellis.  He's still got it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 10:15:48 PM »

ComiXolgy
Gideon Falls 13
Low 22
Redneck 20
Incursion 4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Order 1
Black Order 2
West Coast Avengers 4
West Coast Avengers 5
Venom 9

Fantastic Four 4
Uncanny X-Men 4
Mr. & Mrs. X 6

Spencer & Locke Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-4) - Tragic play on the old Calvin & Hobbes strip.  Not bad.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS