HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:54:41 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 12, 2019  (Read 8096 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »

This issue itself was okay, but the overall series was lame AF!!!

Cheesy

I couldn't agree more.   Smiley

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 08:08:49 PM »

I'm not sure about Wally In Space. And what,
as of now he is still a guy that tried to cover up a murder?
I want that aspect wiped away, not just shot into space. But hey, it's a start I guess. Whatever it takes. I will surely try the first couple issues while hoping for the best

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »

Man, it's already Monday afternoon and I have only read ... one little four issue series??

Oh boy, I need to get pumping tonight and tomorrow or Jeff will slap my hand.
 Grin

So far -

Spencer and Locke #1
Spencer and Locke #2
Spencer and Locke #3
Spencer and Locke #4
- I read issue #1 a long time back, but as volume two is now hitting, I figured I needed to finally knock this first volume out. A very cool concept of what if Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbs fame, and whose name is Locke in this universe) had a very different upbringing and ended up becoming a detective. I enjoyed this. Calvin/Locke still has Hobbs, his pet Tiger, who goes by the name Spencer here AND gets first billing, as you can see in the title  Cheesy
With a certain Army Private (a Beetle Bailey analog) showing up in this next volume, I am hoping the next installment hits just as well as this one.
It wasn't perfect, but it was fun, and as of now, the only thing I have opened this week
 Shocked
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 10:02:03 PM »

Dangit.  Calvin & Hobbes is my all time favorite comic strip.  I'm being pulled in....... Smiley

EDIT:  Sweet!  I went to ComiXology to put Spencer and Locke on my Wish List and to see how much it would cost.  Only to find out that it's FREE to read for ComiXology Unlimited members.  No reason to not add this to my Wish List...other than time to read it of course!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:05:31 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 10:28:24 PM »

Can't beat a price like that.

I just noticed I said "pet tiger" above instead of "toy tiger" like I intended. Ole Buckley must still be on my mind.
Speaking of which ... I will send you a pic ...

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 11:01:21 PM »

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 16
15   Fuse, The   Vol. 1: The Russia Shift   8/27/2014
16   Transmetropolitan   #36   8/31/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #37   9/30/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #38   10/13/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #39   11/13/2000

16   Transmetropolitan   #40   12/13/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #41   1/13/2001
16   Lost Dogs   Vol 1   11/16/2011

ComiXolgy
Batman & The Outsiders 2
Superman: Leviathan Rising Special 1
Event Leviathan 1
Umbrella Academy 7
The Complete SIP (Strangers in Paradise) Kids

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th 2
Marvel Knights 20th 3

Immortal Hulk 9
Immortal Hulk 10

Immortal Hulk Best Defense 1 (Part 1)
Namor Best Defense 1 (Part 2)
Doctor Strange 8
Doctor Strange 9

Cloak & Dagger 3
Old Man Hawkeye 11
Daredevil 612
Winter Soldier 1

===============================

Cloak & Dagger 3 - Good to end to this arc (series?).  Hoping for more Cloak & Dagger in the future.

Old Man Hawkeye 11 - Wow - didn't  quite expect that.  Only one more issue for this GREAT series.

Daredevil 612 - Hmmm.  Cheap twist in the end.  Feel a little cheated.  This was the end for this creative team.  Guess we'll have to find out what happens next in another series.

Winter Soldier 1 - Good issue 1.  Cliff hanger was good enough to hook me in.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 02:07:57 AM »

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 16
15   Fuse, The   Vol. 1: The Russia Shift   8/27/2014
16   Transmetropolitan   #36   8/31/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #37   9/30/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #38   10/13/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #39   11/13/2000

16   Transmetropolitan   #40   12/13/2000
16   Transmetropolitan   #41   1/13/2001
16   Lost Dogs   Vol 1   11/16/2011

ComiXolgy
Batman & The Outsiders 2
Superman: Leviathan Rising Special 1
Event Leviathan 1
Umbrella Academy 7
The Complete SIP (Strangers in Paradise) Kids

Marvel Unlimited
Marvel Knights 20th 2
Marvel Knights 20th 3

Immortal Hulk 9
Immortal Hulk 10

Immortal Hulk Best Defense 1 (Part 1)
Namor Best Defense 1 (Part 2)
Doctor Strange 8
Doctor Strange 9

Cloak & Dagger 3
Old Man Hawkeye 11
Daredevil 612
Winter Soldier 1

===============================

Lost Dogs   Vol 1 - DAMN YOU JEFF LEMIRE!  Another gut punch of a tale from my new favorite writer.  His independent stuff knocks out anything he could even think of doing for the big two.  I'll be thinking about this one for a long while.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:21:48 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »

Lost Dogs? I don't think I ever heard of that one!

Just great, another on the list  Roll Eyes

Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 03:00:20 PM »

Lost Dogs? I don't think I ever heard of that one!

Just great, another on the list  Roll Eyes

Cheesy

It's a fast read.  Just four issues I think but reads a lot like Essex County.  And the art is the same.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »

It's a fast read.  Just four issues I think but reads a lot like Essex County.  And the art is the same.

Cool, will keep my eyes peeled !!!

I just totally failed this week, or this past week as I type this  Grin. I guess thinking about taking my contractor to court took a lot of my desire to read away this week. Ugh, man this guy ....

Anyway, I was able to get just a couple more in yesterday and I'm actually surprised I got 8 comics read this week

Detective Comics #1005 - Kinda ended like I thought it would, but also not. A typical comic. Nothing special
Batman and the Outsiders #1 - So after Jeff said he really liked this, I went back to see why I didn't. If for nothing else to better describe why I felt different. Well, maybe it was the mood I was in at the time, or maybe it was the fact I read the entire issue this time and not just the first quarter or so and flipped through the rest, or maybe it was ... oh heck I don't know, but this issue read a lot better for me this go around. I still don't think I like it as much as Jeff (although I am not saying he "Loved it") and that is fine, but I will also keep tabs on this title from time to time. Something I would not have done prior to his comments
 Smiley

Life/Death of Toyo Harada #4 - Valiant's best stories revolve around this character. This is no different.
Red Sonja: Birth of the See-Devil #1 - This one got me. I just read this because I thought it was a one and done issue. I thought this until it got to the back of the book and I saw this story was going to be continued in the next issue. WHAT? Darn it. I am not adding another Sonja book. I already have my Red Sonja book written by my boy Russell, I just wanted a nice little short story.
I could have read something else.
I should have had a V8
 Cheesy

Spencer and Locke #1
Spencer and Locke #2
Spencer and Locke #3
Spencer and Locke #4

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS