HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:20:36 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 29, 2019  (Read 12440 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 01:39:53 AM »

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 14
14   Transmetropolitan   #25   8/31/1999
14   Transmetropolitan   #26   9/30/1999
14   Transmetropolitan   #27   10/31/1999

14   Transmetropolitan   #28   11/30/1999
14   Transmetropolitan   #29   12/31/1999
14   Transmetropolitan   #30   1/31/2000

14   From Hell Collected Edition (issues 1-11) Vol 1   7/1/2009

ComiXolgy
Heroes in Crisis 9
Doomsday Clock 10
Black Hammer ‘45 #3
Fallen World 1
The Walking Dead 191

Marvel Unlimited
Star Wars: Lando Double or Nothing 5
Doctor Aphra 24
Doctor Aphra 25
Doctor Aphra 26

Infinity War 4
Infinity War 5
Asguardians of the Galaxy 3

Death of the Inhumans 4
Death of the Inhumans 5

Mr. And Mrs. X 4
Mr. And Mrs. X 5
Multiple Man 5

=================================

Mr. And Mrs. X 4 & 5 - Nice end to the first arc.  Against all odds I'm like this.  I hope we see more of Xandra.

Multiple Man 5 - And done.  What a bat crazy story that was.  Now on to the new Uncanny X-Men...

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »

I have read lots of other things I feel I should post and talk about!

I'll mainly say

Heroes in Crisis 7-9 -

And Doomsday Clock 10 - WHAT?! I can't tell if this is so damned cool, or if everything in DC history should be jettisoned and just made as 'Ultimate DC comics' and have done with all the past Crises.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 07:45:21 PM »

Man, not the best time to read this damn series, especially when I am feeling the way I am feeling, but sure, why not?
 Undecided

Heroes in Crisis #1
Heroes in Crisis #2
Heroes in Crisis #3
- I am liking what I am reading up to this point. Maybe it is the thought of those that need help actually being able to get it? Like I said, this may not be the best time, especially for me, where I am (both physical location and mental framing) to be reading this.
But the art is amazing, looks like the art in Straczynski's Thor by Coipel. I mean those first couple pages are perfection to that style. The mid-west peeps and the way everything looks ... just like Coipel. Beautiful stuff.
Of course knowing
who is responsible does make me read things a tad differently, like when Wally is on the porch holding Roy Harper who I guess he just killed and Wally says -
"Roy ... why ... Why did it ...
The kids ... I didn't want
I didn't want to be alone"

Not sure how that ties into the ending, other than he didn't want to be away from his kids. But why kill Roy and the others ... yeah ... not there yet.

DieDieDie #6 - What the heck? How did I get so unlucky picking NOW to catch up on these titles?
Incursion #4 - A good end to the mini and somewhat open ended so .... yeah, more death. WooHoo
 Roll Eyes

Man, I need to read me some Levitz' Legion, more than ever right now ...

A Walk Through Hell #10

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »

Wildstorm #23 - Oh, the next to last issue has me sad. This is ending soon. Hoping for Authority next!
Heroes in Crisis #4 - I only read Jimmy,s first paragraph on his HiC post, didn't want to spoil too much yet. As of now, I can't say that I feel the same regarding his statement on Harley, not saying he is wrong, and myabe I will change my mind as I get more into the series, but I think she is the perfect person for not only the roll she is playing (the questionable murderer or protector) but that she is the perfect fit for any series based on the mental trauma side of things. Not only the fact she was a doctor psych chick but also she is a psycho chick
 Grin

Immortal Hulk #18 - Needed a horror title to wash away the horror of reading ...
Fantastic Four #10 - Dear lord, let it stop. No more. Please, this comic is just horrible. Franklin is a little shit now? What the hell? Ugh. Just no, time to get a new team on this. Past time actually. Please. I am almost ready to stop reading this. Stop reading my favorite comic ever. Marvel is doing to me with the FF what DC did to Jimmy and his Superman
 Angry

Heroes in Crisis #1
Heroes in Crisis #2
Heroes in Crisis #3

A Walk Through Hell #10
DieDieDie #6
Incursion #4

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 10:56:46 PM »

Heroes in Crisis #4 - I only read Jimmy,s first paragraph on his HiC post, didn't want to spoil too much yet. As of now, I can't say that I feel the same regarding his statement on Harley, not saying he is wrong, and myabe I will change my mind as I get more into the series, but I think she is the perfect person for not only the roll she is playing (the questionable murderer or protector) but that she is the perfect fit for any series based on the mental trauma side of things. Not only the fact she was a doctor psych chick but also she is a psycho chick
 Grin

Yeah - you should stop reading spoilers IMO.  I generally liked the first few issues if I remember correctly (except for the number of dead Titans).  It lost me a little each issue around, oh I don't know, issue six maybe?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 12:38:59 AM »

For me, Perry, by the end, I just didn't see the relevance of her need any longer. It's like one wise crack too many in every comic.

EDIT: I was also working myself into a rant, without having reread any of the first 6 issues in 4 months, so take me with a spoonful of salt. Wink
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:17:47 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »

Yeah - you should stop reading spoilers IMO.

I just peaked. I swear  Grin

I generally liked the first few issues if I remember correctly (except for the number of dead Titans).  It lost me a little each issue around, oh I don't know, issue six maybe?

Yeah, that is the way I am feeling ... right now. Of course the Titans that are biting it are Titans I know little to nothing about, so I don't feel the same as you do in that regard, but I do get your meaning.

For me, Perry, by the end, I just didn't see the relevance of her need any longer. It's like one wise crack too many in every comic.

Okay, that makes perfect sense.

EDIT: I was also working myself into a rant, without having reread any of the first 6 issues in 4 months, so take me with a spoonful of salt. Wink

Will do!!!
 Smiley
And hey, if two of us end up with different thoughts on her, or the series, it wouldn't be that much of a strange or odd thing anyway ...  Cheesy Cheesy
 Cool

Speaking of ...

Heroes in Crisis #5 - Of course, timing is everything, and the ending of this issue really pushed my thoughts on Harley even further.
Her brief but powerful nine panel interview on the last page, with her talking about how "Mr J" would beat her ... yeah, powerful stuff indeed.

That said, I can certainly see where she could start to be overused after this.

I am loving the BB and BG stuff though. I really enjoy the banter. I love their bud love
 Smiley
We also get the first hint to the answer to the killer in this issue as Booster discusses the age of Wally

Just over halfway and I am still enjoying this. And with all do respect to my fellow Realmers, I do hope I end this mini with the same enjoyment level I currently have. I honestly don't see how I could, not with the knowledge I already possess  Undecided, but maybe? Or maybe I will just stop now while I still have good feels
 Grin

EDIT - And gotta say, sadly and surprisingly, I have never truly noticed Clay Mann (heehee Clayman ... was actually wondering if that was a pseudonym? but he has a twin brother named Seth, Seth Mann and as I don't see the humorous connection with THAT name, I am assuming their names are birth given  Grin ... anyway...) I have never truly noticed Clay's art before this title. I am sure I have seen it, but this guy is really, really good. I am just shocked that his name was never on my lips as a top artist prior to this. The emotion shown in faces, his poses, his lines, structure ... just incredible!!!

EDIT 2 - and he did work on Ninjak (and an X-O issue #0) Huh How do I not remember that?Huh

BAD PERRY, BAD!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:43:17 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »

I’m working my through the From Hell collected edition.  Just finished chapter 7 of 11.  This is some good Alan Moore creepy stuff about Jack the Ripper.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »

I’m working my through the From Hell collected edition.

I always wanted to read his true version of that, ya know, the original, but when I saw Allan Moore's reaction to the movie (quess what, he didn't care for it  Grin) I decided I would wait. I remember enjoying that movie and I didn't want to ruin it by either reading something better or, in most cases, so different that it wasn't the same.
 Grin

I mean, I understand his thoughts on Watchmen and of course the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie and heck, I even understand his dislike of the movie V, but From Hell? I thought it to be a decent popcorn flick. In-fact, I know one thing that is different in the movie, and it is one thing I really enjoyed, so "neener neener" Mr. Moore Tongue

Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »

Yeah I didn't realize there was a movie until I started reading this.  I looked it up and added to my "To Watch" list for after I finish this.  I like both Johnny Depp and Heather Graham so I'm looking forward to it.  I have no doubt it will veer away from his work since that's what Hollywood does but I can like them both separately.  If that makes sense.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 09:47:19 PM »

Yeah I didn't realize there was a movie until I started reading this.  I looked it up and added to my "To Watch" list for after I finish this. 

Cool!
It will be interested to see if you enjoy it as much as I did, having read the book first. I just hope it holds up well. I saw it when it first hit the dvd rental space ... or was it vhs even?  Cheesy It is fairly old.

I just checked before posting and it was in theaters back in 2001, so almost 18 years since I saw it ... I think that would have been DVDs by then
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 02:20:37 AM »

I really enjoyed watching that movie at that time!

I can't say how it's aged, or how I feel about it now. Watched it once was all! And I never read 'From Hell' either!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 02:34:32 AM »

So, I'll post it here, and maybe again in the next thread, if there is anything worth talking about.

Catching up, and will say I read this from Unlimited!

Punisher 1-4 : I'm not the type of guy who's all about violence (mostly! I think, I dunno), but when Frank is rocking, unapologetic, and TOTALLY FICTIONAL, I'm all about it with Matt Rosenberg's run. This has been a good title to read for some time!

PP: Specatcular Spider-man 308-310 : Oh man, Chip Zdarsky is done?! Dammit!! He really gave me the feels most of the time on this book. (ok, the last 2 parter with that gawd-awful Bachalo art on the Sandman issues was terrible. But the finale was great!!!

Dr. Strange 4-8: Damn, this is cool stuff! I love Waid's analyses popping up everywhere: "you ever wonder why your friends and lovers leave you? It's because you make them feel stupid"...'you hold secrets so you always feel like you're the smartest one in the room!' That, and new battle armor and spellcaster Supreme is looking good!

Deadpool Assassin 1-5: This was AWESOME for the entrance fee of Mark Bagley! This was like reading Spidey in the 90s! No kiddie looking characters all over the place like his perenniel Ultimate and Kids Xmen books; this was so cool to read! And the story was rather good too!

Multiple Man 5 - what a fakkin trip!!! Grin  I still don't know what really happened; is Prime dead? Is he replaced as Prime? I don't know!!

Old Man Logan 48-50 - so weird to see a 'Maestro' as Logan's basically arch-nemesis, but it works. and I'm SUPER suprised to see me read this title for 50 issues, and mostly enjoy it the whole time too! Soon it'll be DEAD MAN LOGAN!!

X-23 4-6 : okay, weird again that I went for this title. But with the focus again being here on Laura (and the Cuckoos) misery about loss, depression, and dealing (or not dealing with it), I'm back on board and REALLY enjoying reading this!!

That ought to cut down the 77 books I have saved there!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »

Heroes in Crisis #6
Heroes in Crisis #7
Heroes in Crisis #8
Heroes in Crisis #9
- Was able to finish this series yesterday, although I had to run to the shop to read #8 (I forgot I didn't grab his copy after hearing about that happened), but was able to finish #9 there as well, so it all worked out. I really, really enjoyed this mini-series ... up to issue #8, page 13.
Just so you know that is NOT where we are shown that Wally killed those other heroes, it was a page after that when he began his plan to cover it up. That is where the entire thing went to shit. If it was just the killings, I could let it go as a pretty damn good, although kinda tough for Wally fans, little story. It had great emotional context and a powerful message and he just was so (forgive the pun) overran with emotional pressure, his lightning killed everyone. THAT is a good, dramatic story that should have been told.

However, When Wally then begins to cover-up the act, and kills the robot peeps even? No, that is utter garbage.

I know what Tom was doing, I get it. He is saying that even Wally can snap. I know it happens everyday where a man just snaps and does something so very far out of character that it makes little to no sense (see my local news as one such example as they are still talking about the resent slaying). I get it. It almost makes sense with Wally, but it doesn't. And I say that as there is also, a deeper history that goes along with people that snap and go out of character like that. And I don't mean there has to be physical or emotional abuse in their past, but there is always some layer of the person that we don't know about that goes along with the "snap". Wally just doesn't fit the bill. How do I know that? Well, unlike all the other people in the real world that go out of character for seemingly little (to large) reason, we have seen the inner workings of this guy inside the pages of the comics we read. We literally know Wally inside and out. We know his past, we know his future even, and this .... no. Just no.

Man, I did enjoy this, I did. Up until Wally began the cover up. The accident ... he would have handled that so much differently. He just would have. How? I don't know. Maybe just ran and disappeared? He would have made himself suffer somehow, someway. But one thing he would never do is try to cover it up and BLAME ANOTHER HERO IN THE PROCESS
 Angry Angry Angry Angry 

Wildstorm #23
Heroes in Crisis #1
Heroes in Crisis #2
Heroes in Crisis #3

Heroes in Crisis #4
Heroes in Crisis #5

Immortal Hulk #18
Fantastic Four #10

A Walk Through Hell #10
DieDieDie #6
Incursion #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »

What your saying in the spoiler is what has everyone upset.  It ruined the whole story because it just wouldn’t happen with this character.  That’s what caused my initial reaction of being done with DC.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS