HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:47:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 15, 2019  (Read 6332 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 12:27:53 AM »

ComiXology Backlog Plan - Group 11
12   Transmetropolitan   #13   8/31/1998
12   Transmetropolitan   #14   9/30/1998
12   Transmetropolitan   #15   10/31/1998
12   Transmetropolitan   #16   11/30/1998
12   Transmetropolitan   #17   12/31/1998
12   Transmetropolitan   #18   1/31/1999
12   Sweet Tooth   Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitat   3/4/2014

==========================================

Well I did it.  Got 'er done.  Doesn't hurt that both of these series are hard to put down.

Transmetropolitan   #14-18 - I like this Year Two much more than Year One.  Mystery and conspiracy are fun.  Nice to see politics really haven't changed like we think they have.

Sweet Tooth   Vol. 5: Unnatural Habitat - Ah!  We get some ancient history in the first half to learn how this plague started.  Of course it only raises more questions.  And the second half is the conclusion to the arc that started in the last volume.  Man this villain was really evil.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »

Okay, I was able to knock out some issues. Got most in before hitting the LCS, which I didn't get to until Sunday. Good thing about that was it gave me time (IE: no choice  Cheesy) to read some of the older issues and the older, older issues I have been continually pushing aside to read current stuff. So yeah, that was nice.
 Smiley
Plus I did get a bit more than I thought I would get in when I was first looking at my week.

Amazing Spider-Man #20.HU
Amazing Spider-Man #21
- Only one more issue of this Hunted arc. That is both good and a tad sad. Its time, but ..
Friendly Neighborhood Spidey #6 - Still enjoying the you know what out of this book. Hitting MU soon
Spider-Man: Life Story #2
Spider-Man: Life Story #3
- An okay Spidey "what If" story, taking Peter and aging him through the decades
Daredevil #2
Daredevil #3
Daredevil #4
- Chip is a good street level writer. Spidey and DD are safe in his hands
Guardians of the Galaxy #5 - Art wasn't the best, and how it ended? I'm okay with it. Why not?
Immortal Hulk #17 - Knew it was coming eventually, but still ... that last page!!!

Batman #71 - Yeah okay, whatever, next issue please.
Shadow of the Bat #2 - Enjoying this book from the past!!!
Legion of Super-Heroes #17
Legion of Super-Heroes #18
- Found out I never feel these heroes are in danger, no matter the fight. And that is not good.
The Batman Who Laughs #2
The Batman Who Laughs #3
The Batman Who Laughs #4

The Batman Who Laughs: Grim Knight #1 - An okay mini, I guess, including the not at all needed one shot here, Grim Knight. Not really a fan of this stuff, the entire dark world stuff or whatever it is called so ... yeah, it's okay

Dark Red #1
Dark Red #2
- Decent story, but not on the list of titles to continue with sooooo
Ice Cream Man #12 - Just so out there and yet so good!
Star Trek: Year Five #1 - No, no. Kirk way out of character in the dialog. Done!

All in all a nice week of reading with some hits and some big whiffs   Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »

I’ve just about convinced myself to try Ice Cream Man.  You rave about it almost every month.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »

I really love it, but ...

Saying that, I have always hesitated speaking up on it too much because it is a different type of comic. While each issue is very much like a Twilight Zone episode, it is also different than that as you read about the antagonist (or is it the same one?) and he, breaking the fourth wall at times, also makes you feel like you are in the Twilight Zone yourself.
 Cheesy
It isn't as complicated as say a Grant Morrison "way out there" comic, nor is it as mentally deep as a Neil Gaiman "Sandman inspired" comic, but it is also very much like both at the same time. I mean even though each issue is a done in one story it still ties together, you leave not really knowing how or why ... or even if it 100% does
 Cheesy

Man, it is so hard to describe.  Cheesy That is why I never recommended it as I just don't know how it would hit other people. But if you want a "wacky read" flip through an issue and see how it hits. And please see how other people feel about it first. My brain is mash-potatoes so I may not be the best opinion to listen to.
 Grin
I looked around and found an article with a preview of one issue and just check out the way the artist uses the three scoops of ice-cream to show three different paths this guy takes. Each path is highlighted with the color of the ice-cream. It is stuff like that, simple little artistic nods that keep me coming back each month. It is a rough comic at times though, but if you can read Walking Dead for almost 200 issues, you should be okay
 Grin
Vulture's Ice-Cream Man ARTICLE

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 09:37:44 PM »

Vulture's Ice-Cream Man ARTICLE

Looks right up my alley.  I'll add it to the Wish List.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS