HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:43:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 6, 2019  (Read 5144 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 07, 2019, 01:55:24 AM »

Was looking at my library in ComiXology and I've got exactly 300 books to read.  That doesn't count Marvel Unlimited or the large number of  books sitting on my bookshelf still in the shrink wrap!

Putting a plan together to knock out the ComiXology backlog by Christmas while still staying relatively current.  That plan starts right now!

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 3
Deathstroke 41
Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188
Teen Titans (1966-1978) 1
Teen Titans (1966-1978) 2
Teen Titans (1966-1978) 3
Teen Titans (1966-1978) 4
Teen Titans (1966-1978) 5
Teen Titans (1966-1978) 6

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6
Criminal Vol 6: The Last of the Innocent
Criminal Vol 7: Wrong Place Wrong Time
Criminal: Special Edition
Criminal: 10th Anniversary Special Edition
Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:41:14 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Deathstroke 41
Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6

Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

Infinity Gauntlet 3-6 - Fun ending and now I'm wondering how the movie's going to wrap this up.

West Coast Avengers 1 - Reads like Hawkeye did - might be same writer but I haven't looked.  Fun comic.  I'll ride this for awhile.

Venom 5 - I can't believe I'm digging a Venom comic book.  The great art really helps too.  Looking forward to the next issue and the bringing of the thunder!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:57:39 PM »

Venom 5 - I can't believe I'm digging a Venom comic book.  The great art really helps too.  Looking forward to the next issue and the bringing of the thunder!

A really good series, no doubt!!!

Knocked out a couple major ones (major for me at least) last night -

A Walk Through Hell #8 - Yep, this is it. This is the most disturbing issue of this title that I have read and heck, perhaps the most disturbing issue of any comic I have read. Sounds horrible (and it is, in a way), but it is told so wonderfully well, presented so beautifully that I just get enthralled by it. Really is great at being the comic that it is. Wow. An amazing title by Ennis. Ranks up there with the top of his work.

Black Hammer '45 #1 - I was aware that Matt Kindt was doing the art on this title so it came as no surprise when I opened the book to see that look. I have read so much of Matt Kindt and have gazed at his art so many times that I do find it, in an odd way, very enjoyable. Others on the other hand ... if you are not used to this art style, you may be turned off from it. No, the art didn't bother me, but I was taken-aback when I saw the writing credits. This issue (series?) is plotted by Lemire, but it is actually written by Ray Fawkes. Ray is a hit or miss with me and this is how this first issue rang. It was hit and miss. No luckily it was mostly hit, just a couple pacing issues and one or two dialog problems, but still, overall a well written (and drawn) issue. Absolutely loved its connection to, precisely, some of the Black hawk covers I remember. If you look at one panel you will see this monstrosity in the back ground ...

Grin
Yeah, there are 4 or 5 other connections that I, the Blackhawk novice noticed, so I am sure there are tons more.

Bottom line, these are the two comics that I wanted to read the most this week and both issues hit me precisely the way I wanted. More or less.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 01:53:22 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Deathstroke 41
Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6

Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

Sentry 3 - This is an awesome mini series.  Things are getting real.

Daredevil 607 - This Mike Murdoch arc is  kind of fun.

Avengers 6 - Ready for a new artist soon or I'm going to have to drop.  Glad this arc is over.

Marvel 2-In-One 9 - Weird reading this since FF 1 already has them back from the multiverse.

Jessica Jones 2 - Great comic going on here.  Especially since each issue actually has two comics in it.  Great writing and great plot.  Art is good too.  Lots to love.

Daredevil Annual 1 - Decent story from the past.  Not a must have but by no means bad.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 03:15:56 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Deathstroke 41

Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6

Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

Batman 66 - The trippiness continues with Catwoman and the Question!  Good issue.

Bloodshot Rising Spirit 3 - was starting to get repetitive but the ending show's we are finally moving on...I think.

Deathstroke 41 - Love seeing Deathstroke and Rose together again.  Fun issue even though it's a prelude to the Teen Titans crossover.  Hopefully the corssover won't suck.

Criminal Vol 6: The Last of the Innocent - I had forgotten what happens in this book.  Couldn't remember until I finished it and was like "Oh yeah!  That's what happened!"  Made it like discovering it for the first time.  And it was great.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 03:18:20 AM »

Black Hammer '45 #1 ........overall a well written (and drawn) issue.  Wink

I'm looking forward to reading this....in a month when the price drops.   Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 06:57:46 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Deathstroke 41

Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6

Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

Criminal Vol 7: Wrong Place Wrong Time - So this collects the two special issues below.  Might have been good info go have before I bought them.  But it was still good.  More information into Teeg and Tracey Lawless.  Looks like I’m ready for the new series!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »

Sentry 3 - This is an awesome mini series.  Things are getting real.

Agree. This was so good. I hated that Lemire decided to go Creator Owned exclusively and thus forcing its end when it did (originally planned as an ongoing  Cry), but at the same time I was happy we got what we did get
 Grin

Avengers 6 - Ready for a new artist soon or I'm going to have to drop.  Glad this arc is over.

Oh yeah, You have to read the next issue, #7. Big, big, big character movement happens and yes, much better (and better fit) art by Dave Marguez. Soooo good.

Jessica Jones 2 - Great comic going on here.  Especially since each issue actually has two comics in it.  Great writing and great plot.  Art is good too.  Lots to love.

Agree!!! I still have to read issue #3, but the first two are great. I forgot all about this until you mentioned it because I read this on Dave's Tablet. Is it digital only? I think that is what he said. yeah? Or maybe I am thinking of the wrong thing? (Oh, they also have a Digital Only Iron Fist and Daughters of the Dragon, I think? Both of which I haven't read)

Batman 66 - The trippiness continues with Catwoman and the Question!  Good issue.

Agree again. 100% enjoyed this one!

Bloodshot Rising Spirit 3 - was starting to get repetitive but the ending show's we are finally moving on...I think.

Hmmm, I will wait one more issue before I try then  Cheesy

Deathstroke 41 - Love seeing Deathstroke and Rose together again.  Fun issue even though it's a prelude to the Teen Titans crossover.  Hopefully the corssover won't suck.

So far behind on this. Sad when I leave one of my top writers waiting in the wings to try books I will never pick up again.

Criminal Vol 6: The Last of the Innocent - I had forgotten what happens in this book.

Not going to reread the entire Criminal thing, but I am set to try the first two issues of this new series. I hope you can tell me if they are connected or just another story set inside the universe.  Wink Well, I guess they are all connected, really, but you don't need to read them all to enjoy any of the Criminal stuff, ya know what I mean, yeah?
 Grin

Only got through a couple. Well one and 15/16th  Grin Reading the back matter of the second DIE issue. This book is really starting to hit stride now. Slow start, but he is starting to give us ... things we can relate more easily to, as far as the world of D&D that this is so close to. IE: Gillians Neo Class equating to a D&D Rogue, etc ...
The back matter of the "making of Die" (basically) is worth the read as well

A Walk Through Hell #8
Black Hammer '45 #1
Die #2  Wink - You are either gonna love this D&D title or hate it. Don't see an in-between Grin

Batman #66 - This one fooled me. At first I thought
these two characters were talking, ya know, outside of Bat's head. In the "real" world.
Love how it turned out.

EDIT - Sorry Jeff, I got that Avengers numbering wrong. While there is indeed a different artist on issue #7 (Sara Pachelli in fact ... and doing the kind of beautiful art she SHOULD have done on the Fantastic Four relaunch  Angry). David doesn't come on board until issue #8, and I kind of remember him not doing 100% of the art, like he came on in an emergency roll ... although I could be mistaken on both of those thoughts  Cheesy. I did like the story in #7 (origin of Ghost Rider), but it still didn't hit me like Avengers #9 does ... the one issue that I thought was issue #7.  Grin
I hope you at least stay on through issue #9, as there is something there that is suppose to effect the MU and it ties in with the newest Invaders title now out
 Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:20:56 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »

Not going to reread the entire Criminal thing, but I am set to try the first two issues of this new series. I hope you can tell me if they are connected or just another story set inside the universe.  Wink Well, I guess they are all connected, really, but you don't need to read them all to enjoy any of the Criminal stuff, ya know what I mean, yeah?
 Grin

I will say that they read fast in TPB.  You could bang them in out in one day.  Rereading them was cool because you discover connections you might have missed.  On the first read I didn’t realize the young boxer in one arc was the old bartender from the bar in the other arcs.  Little things that are fun to see.  You’re right though, you don’t need to read them.

Seems like everyone is somehow connected to Ricky Lawless who we never see.  I think I heard he finally shows up in the new series but I could be wrong.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:40:33 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Deathstroke 41

Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6

Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

Die 3 - Fun little tale.  Story progresses across the battle field but the small story was interesting.

Doomsday Clock 9 - Ok cool.  Finally the battle with
Dr Manahatten!!

Green Lantern 5 - I was starting to think this was too much Morrison for my taste and felt I should drop this.  Then I saw the cliff hanger last page.  Dammit.  I'm still on board.   Wink

Punk Mambo 0 - I wasn't interested in this when it came out but after reading the Bloodshot issues with her in them, and then seeing that this issue was free for ComiXolgy Unlimited folks, I decided to give it a read.  Glad I did because now I know her origin and can understand a little bit as to why she is the way she is.

The Walking Dead 188 - So weird reading the characters in this comic since they are so different from who is in the TV show.  We may be coming to a point before long where there aren't the same characters in the two Walking Dead worlds.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 02:39:23 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Deathstroke 41

Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6

Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

--------------------------

Teen Titans (1966-1978) 1 & 2 - OMG this is hilarious.  This is from 1966.  And the writers are clearly old guys trying to be hip for the teens.  Some of this I'm not even sure is English.  While hanging out in the Titans HQ (what looks like a cave) Wonder Girl says "Hey you three - Does a girl have to frug with her own magic lasso?"  To which Kid Flash responds with "I'm busy Wonder Chick!  A speedsters got to keep in training."  Robin says "I hate to interrupt you characters, but it's time we checked our "Help" mail -- letters requesting our services!"  And Wonder Girl replies "Oh, Robin, you're such a killjoy!  But I forgive you -- because you're so cute!"  They pretty much all call Wonder Girl "Wonder Chick" through both issues.

Wow.  This would get crucified in today's world.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »

Wow.  This would get crucified in today's world.   Cheesy

Nothing beats good ole' fashioned sexism  Grin

With the wife in DC for a few days, I was able to knock out a few more last night.

Female Furies #2 - I felt lost here as I didn't remember events in issue #1, I guess. Waiting until it's done
Wildstorm #20 - About the weakest of the series so far. One of Ellis' "very few words" issues  Cheesy
Justice League #19 - Yeah, I know, how do I keep showing this on my read pile after each and every issue saying I am done with it? I know.  But this issue has
Mxyzptlk
in it so I had to see what's what. Hmmmm, I may have liked this?

Age of X-Man: Prisoner #1
Age of X-Man: Extremists #1
Age of X-Man: Amazing Nightcrawler #1
- Hit and miss. May just stick with the two best of the six and it's not these
Avengers No Road Home #1
Avengers No Road Home #2
Avengers No Road Home #3
Avengers No Road Home #4
- So far I like this 10 part story more than I did the first one with Voyager. And I liked that
Conan the Barbarian #4 - Another great one shot. This time a quick story of King Conan. Aaron is made for this.
Immortal Hulk #12
Immortal Hulk #13
- The end of a very cool arc. Kinda trippy, but yeah, I still dig this. Letters pages are great as well
Amazing Spider-Man #17
Amazing Spider-Man #17 HU - So looks like Marvel is doing that point thing again, but this time, at least for this week, it seems to have worked. First off the "HU" stands for the name of this current arc - "The Hunted" and the premise is
Kraven is in one of his moods where he is feeling for all the animals of the world and is not hunting Spidey this time around, no, no, he is, with the hired help of Arcade (I know, crazy pairing, right?) "hunting" and capturing all of the villains that have used animals as part of their costume/look over the years. Okay, at least the Spidey villains  Cheesy So Rhino, Vulture, etc are all being hunted down to be part of this huge Safari Hunt. To be caged and then released for these other hunters to have fun with. Silly, sure, but comics.
but in issue 17 we see ... the result of something but the HU issue shows us how that result came to be. So really, you don't need the HU issues, like you ever needed the "point" issues, but it does show you how that one thing happened, if you want to know. You can read issue 17 and go right into 18 without question or care, but if you want to know how that one thing occurred, then yeah, read the HU stuff.
All the issues in this arc seem to have an HU issue to go with them except for issue #18.

Anyway ....

A decent bit of reading for me

Batman #66

A Walk Through Hell #8
Black Hammer '45 #1
Die #2

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »

Nothing beats good ole' fashioned sexism  Grin

It would seem that way, but in all fairness - Wonder Girl saves their hyde's almost every time in these issues, Daddio.  And they give her plenty of credit.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 12:56:56 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers 1
Venom 5
Sentry 3
Daredevil 607
Avengers 6
Marvel 2-In-One 9
Jessica Jones 2
Daredevil Annual 1

ComiXology
Batman 66
Deathstroke 41

Detective Comics 994
Detective Comics 995
Detective Comics 996
Detective Comics 997
Detective Comics 998
Detective Comics 999
Die 3
Doomsday Clock 9
Green Lantern 5
Punk Mambo 0
The Walking Dead 188

Re-Reading
Infinity Gauntlet 3
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Infinity Gauntlet 6

Action Comics 1001
Action Comics 1002
Action Comics 1003
Action Comics 1004

--------------------------

Well - I didn't get all the way through.  This will throw off my 2019 Plan but hopefully I can catch up on the Comic Week that starts tomorrow.

Teen Titans (1966-1978) 3 - More of the same chick, daddio.

Action Comics 1001 (Re-Read) - Better this second time around.  Probably because I had different expectations.  Still not sure if I want to pick it back up but I will finish re-reading the next three to see.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »

Nothing beats good ole' fashioned sexism  Grin

It would seem that way, but in all fairness - Wonder Girl saves their hyde's almost every time in these issues, Daddio.  And they give her plenty of credit.

Yeah, but that is the same as telling a woman to smile because it makes her look pretty
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS