HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:23:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, I read the Marvel solicits  (Read 4283 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 01, 2019, 02:23:28 AM »

Did the DC ones come out yet? I might need to complain about them too.

You see the most recent Marvel ones?

HOly shit, did CB not learn anything from Alonso?! YOu see how many titles are coming out? One shots, tie ins, cross overs, tie-cross-overs?

There's like, well over 100 books! And honestly, what kind of talent is on all those books? Talk about throwing everything at the wall and seeing if anything sticks!

I gotta go find those DC ones now...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 02:32:57 AM »

Found the DC ones. Know what I think? I think there are a bunch of DC books being published right now I haven't heard of...also, what a small stock of DC books coming out, methinks! I was through those solicits likety-split, and I know that Titans and Damage are on their final issues, so what else is coming out?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »

Looks like someone has also been reading BC

Cheesy

But hey, that doesn't mean you are wrong.
 Wink
You are 100% right in-fact

Why the sudden outcry about this, I have no idea. But I am glad more and more people are talking about it. Marvel has been putting out well over 90 books a month for over 10 years (or so). Heck, you guys must have seen me complaining about that very thing on multiple posts here.  Cheesy Cheesy I have been yelling for years how that amount is ridiculous as hell and they need to stop.

However, and I can't keep saying this enough ... if the damn people that own the damn shops would just stop ordering the damn things, Marvel, whose only goal is to (like any company) make money, would stop pumping out that damn many. I see things on the shelf that I know, you know, the store owner knows, my grandmother knows that are not going to sell well enough to maintain more than 10 or 12 issues (if that), but yet there they are.

Look, yes, the bottom line is the way the system is now, you have to try and see if it hits, but sadly it seems the onus is on the buyer instead of anyone else to make that happen. That is the crazy part. It seems like they are telling us it is our fault when books fail. "You want variety, so we give you variety and you don't buy it"

Sadly, that is kinda true. If Marvel was to cut back to only 12 books a month, yet 6 of those were Spider-Man and the others were a variety of other titles, ONLY the Spider-Man titles would sell. We want variety, but we don't buy variety. And I mean that as a general populous, not as an individual.  Wink

People that buy from the big two buy what they like, what they are familiar with, yet somehow, and for some reason, Marvel wants to still try to get us to buy things like Mr and Mrs X-Man?
 Cheesy
And I am not saying that is a bad thing, but how about just producing say two Spidey and X-Men titles a month, one of the core titles a month (say ... 15 or so solo titles and a couple non-X-Men team books) and then publish one or two "test" books a month. How about that.  Wink

On the flip side of my complaining ...  Grin I will say Marvel has gotten better about titles they know won't last. They are doing more and more limited-series. If you look at the previews there are lots and lots of mini's in there. That is a good step in the right direction. I just wish there weren't so damn many mini's at one time and I wish the variety was there. Give me horror, give me a western. Hey, doing more mini's is a smart move but doing it in too large a fashion with more of the same headliners?

With that many titles a month it is like they are back in the early 70's when they and DC were competing for shelf and they had to make more titles to push their books. It is not like that anymore guys!! Slow your roll.

But yeah, owners ... it's okay not to order a book

It is just like those damn variants. People! STOP ORDERING THEM!!!!

You can't go one week without some store owner complaining about the way Marvel does business with variants, but you turn around and the same owner is buying more and more comics, that he won't sell, just to read some bullshit ordering goal to get a "rare" cover, so he can flip it on Ebay and make up the difference in the total he had to spend JUST to get the damn cover in the first place. I don't mean any store in particular of course *cough, cough* (Oh, if only it was just one store doing that  Angry)

But sadly, some of those variants sell like crazy. I don't get it. I just don't. Yes it is cool to see a different cover, but come on people!! Wouldn't just one variant be okay? And could you image if Dynamite stopped doing variants?  Shocked They would be out of business in two months.
 Cheesy

Still, I think if Marvel was to cut back on just having one variant a month and cut their monthly output of books to say a reasonable 45 to 55 a month things would be better for all.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »

a little off track here but along the line of Perry's variant cover track;

I wish covers would go to back to being indicative of what the story was actually about and not just a pose.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »

a little off track here but along the line of Perry's variant cover track;

I wish covers would go to back to being indicative of what the story was actually about and not just a pose.

OH MAN! Wouldn't that be nice!!!
Remember picking up a comic BECAUSE you were interested in what the cover told you was going to be inside? So amazing!! Now what?
"Hey this comic is about a bunch of people posing? No thanks" or "Why is Venom on my Fantastic Four cover? He is not in the book and has nothing to do with the FF so ... oh, it is Venom cover month? WTF is that shit?!?!?!"
 Angry Angry Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 11:40:51 PM »

the good old days when covers like this would make you run across the corner store, past the candy and soda to the mag rack

where, this one, we get a very basic pose

And while this one is kinda cool looking has absolutely no baring on the story
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 12:46:04 AM »

the good old days when covers like this would make you run across the corner store, past the candy and soda to the mag rack

A great post, but this just sums it all up for me.
Remembering both fondly. When we had covers like that AND a comic rack to rush towards

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 06:10:10 PM »

Roll Eyes
And how about this one for covers that tell ya what is going on inside?

This is a cover for ... Conan?

I mean, seriously, this is one of the variant covers for Conan the Barbarian #4 hitting this week.

STOP IT!!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 08:58:15 PM »

What the hell???

Angry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS