HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:22:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69738 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2019, 01:14:24 AM »

I unfortunately, don't have much to say. I don't know his stories, just of his stories, as I have never had the opportunity to read it.

Love how dorky, wrong, and weirdly fun and cool his suit is though!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2019, 02:25:08 AM »

I unfortunately, don't have much to say. I don't know his stories, just of his stories, as I have never had the opportunity to read it.

Love how dorky, wrong, and weirdly fun and cool his suit is though!

And with that comment we are finally away from that dreaded picture of the new Element Lad!!!  Hoorah!

There was much rejoicing.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2019, 02:21:03 AM »

Yaaaaaaay........

(I get the reference! 😎

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2019, 01:08:23 PM »

He never did anything for me, even though I think his death was an impactful for the Legion, it never hit me. Not sure why.

Going to leave a little room for others I may or may not be forgetting, so for now ... well ... he is at the bottom
Going to run now before Jeff throws stuff at me
 Grin

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#16 - Dream Girl
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad
#44 - Ferro Lad

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »

Karate Kid

Home world: Earth
Powers: Mastery of all known martial arts.
First appeared and joined in Adventure Comics #346 (July 1966).
Created by Jim Shooter and Curt Swan.
Died from the Morticoccus virus in Countdown to Final Crisis #7 (March 12, 2008).

Origin & History
When the Japanese superhero The White Crane killed Black Dragon in battle, he decided to raise the crimelord's orphaned son as his own. Retiring from his superhero career, he became known as The Sensei. Residing in the 31st century in the Japanese sector of a united Earth, The Sensei trained Val Armorr in all Martial Arts techniques as well as peaceful creative practices such as meditation, sculpting, and painting. Val became a master of all martial arts forms taught to him, many having their origins on different worlds. He left his Sensei in search of new forms of fighting to master. In his travels he developed his own style known as Super-Karate. When Val returned to Earth, he found that the Legion of Super-Heroes was in need of new recruits to help fight a creature of great power known as Sun Eater. He applied for the Legion and although he had no superhuman powers, he was accepted when he challenged Superboy to single combat. His skill, strength, and speed impressed Superboy greatly.

Val fell in with his fellow Legion recruit Princess Projectra, he follow Projectra to her homeworld of Orando. Val marries Princess Projectra and retires from the Legion with her to Orando. But he and the Princess, now Queen, were taken prisoners by the Legion of Super-Villians. He was able to escape and help the other Legionaries who were captured also. At the end of their escape Val sacrificed himself to save his love, her world and end the villains plot to destroy the Legion.

Val reappeared in the 21th Century as the villain Trident working for Solomon Grundy.  Black Lightning revealed Trident as Val Armorr and under the control of a robotic Starro, Black Lightning takes Val to Batman in the Batcave.   Karate Kid and Starman are two of seven Legionnaires in the present. Starman mentions that Val once died, which is consistent with the character's pre-Crisis history. When being interrogated by Batman, Karate Kid is still disoriented and identifies himself as "Wes Holloway, a member of the Trident Guild." After the remaining Legionnaires are found, they use Lightning Rod to bring back Flash and his family to Earth. While the rest of the Legion returns to the 31st Century, Karate Kid and and one of Triplicate Girl's bodies stay behind on a secret mission. Val dies from the "Morticoccus" virus during this mission.

Months after the events of Legion of Three Worlds, Karate Kid mysteriously reappeared outside of the Legion Academy and reunited with Sensor Girl, who had sensed his return.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Karate Kid land?  For me he originally landed at #20 although I may need to rethink that.  As I re-familiarize myself with these legionnaires each week, I find that there's a lot I had forgotten and at the end my list might need a re-do.      

What's your opinion of Karate Kid?

*Above info found on Wikipedia, Comicvine, and DC.Fandom.com.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »

Looks like no one stuck around for Karate Kid's funeral.   Cry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »

Looks like no one stuck around for Karate Kid's funeral.   Cry

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sorry buddy, been kinda under here lately.

Man, my rankings are all tore to hell.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy This isn't going to help. No idea where to place him now. Going to have to re-do this soon I think.
I like him, I do, but going to leave a little room for others that may jump him.
Placing him as #20 for now. The Iron FIst'esgue costume alone.
 Cheesy

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#16 - Dream Girl
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad
#44 - Ferro Lad

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2019, 09:10:28 PM »

Sensor Girl (Formerly Princess Projectra)

Home world: Orando
Powers: Generation of illusions.  As Sensor Girl, control over all five senses of herself and others and some super-vision powers.
First appeared and joined in Adventure Comics #346 (July 1966).

Origin & History
Wilimena Morgana Daergina Annaxandra Projectra Velorya Vauxhall (more commonly known as Projectra or "Jeckie") was a princess of the royal family of Orando, a planet culturally very similar to Earth's Europe during the Middle Ages. As such, she was also the wielder of a hereditary magical ability to create convincing multi-sensory illusions merely with the power of her mind. When Projectra heard that a galactic team of super-teens called the Legion of Super-Heroes was being formed on Earth, she naturally felt that she deserved to be a member. She traveled to Earth for the Legion's tryouts, bringing a certain confidence -- bordering on arrogance -- with her. Projectra's powerful illusions impressed the Legionnaires and she easily won membership. She joined the Legion alongside fellow recruits Ferro Lad and Karate Kid (who became her boyfriend and eventual husband). As a Legionnaire, Jeckie took the codename Princess Projectra.

In addition to her powers of illusion, Projectra's knowledge of politics and galactic society made her a valued member of the Legion. Early in her Legion career she fell in love with fellow recruit Val Armorr (Karate Kid). When Projectra's father King Voxv died, Projectra's cousin Pharoxx and his grandmother Hagga challenged her right to the throne. Projectra, along with Val and the Legion, defeated Pharoxx and Hagga in trial by combat, securing her place as ruler of Orando. She married Karate Kid and they became Legion reserve members, since Legion bylaws of the time would not allow married members.

Princess Projectra's original Legion costume was essentially a blue one-piece bathing suit, accessorized with white boots & gloves and a purple cape. Like many Legionnaires she underwent a sexy makeover in the 1970's, changing to an elaborate yet skimpy red and gold costume with a neckline that plunged past her navel, sleeves with revealing openings down their length, and thigh-high boots. She wore this costume until she resigned from the Legion and returned as Sensor Girl years later.

After their wedding and retirement from active Legion membership, Projectra and Karate Kid hoped to enjoy years of married bliss on Projectra's home planet. But this idyllic time was rudely interrupted when the Legion of Super-Villains attacked Orando, wreaking widespread havoc and destruction. Their leader Nemesis Kid (whose power gave him the ability to fatally exploit the weakness of any foe) then challenged Karate Kid to single combat, claiming that the devastation would cease if Val could defeat him. Understanding Nemesis Kid's deadly power, Projectra begged her husband to decline the challenge and wait for the rest of the Legion to arrive. But declining a duel went against Val's strict code of honor, so he accepted and was brutally killed by Nemesis Kid. In a grief-stricken rage, Projectra attacked and killed Nemesis Kid to avenge her dead husband. The rest of the Legion finally arrived and defeated the other super-villains, but Projectra, acknowledging that she had violated the Legion's code against killing, resigned from the team completely. She absorbed herself in rebuilding and governing Orando as its sole ruler.

Years later, Projectra returned to the Legion in a new costume and with a new code name: Sensor Girl. Her powers had increased with age, making her illusions more potent and extending her abilities into the metaphysical realm. This was a decided penance for her killing of Nemesis Kid and the trouble she had wrought on Orando as its queen. She hid her true identity from her former teammates by wearing a distinctive mask; only the telepathic Saturn Girl was privy to her true identity. This caused much debate among the Legionnaires. Some thought perhaps she was Supergirl or a Supergirl clone, others thought she was the villainous Saturn Queen, and some even speculated that perhaps she was Saturn Girl. After causing so much dissension, Sensor Girl left the Legion to follow the trail of the new Fatal Five. Using the Emerald Eye of Ekron, the Emerald Empress revealed Sensor Girl's true identity to the Legion and the Fatal Five. Projectra as Sensor Girl was the re-added to the Legion roster. Her violation of their code against killing was declared in self defense of Orando, and she was able to regain their trust and became the leader of the Legion in time for the Magic Wars.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Sensor Girl land?  For me she landed at #17.  I always liked the sexy '70's costume on her.  But that's probably not surprising for a pre-teen boy in the late 70's & early 80's.  It's funny how her costume of today covers almost every inch of her body.   Cheesy    

What's your opinion of Sensor Girl?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »

UGH .... and that is NOT for the character, but for the fact I forgot all about her when I was thinking of how to list these characters. Yes, when this is all said and done it will be fun to see how much my current order will have changed as I am about to screw it up again.
 Grin

But before I throw my number in ...

... But that's probably not surprising for a pre-teen boy in the late 70's & early 80's

Cheesy Too true!!!

okay, looking over my (now defunct) list, I am going to throw her in pretty low. And not only because I have more room on the back-end then I thought I would have at this point, when this darn thing started  Grin but I also think it may be where she ends up anyway. I think she could be one of the most artistic characters, I mean on the page creations, but for the life of me I just keep thinking of her only creating a dragon ... all the time. Odd that, as I don't think that is factual at all, but just something my brain has put there
 Undecided Grin

Looking at my list, I honestly want to put her right below 30, in the 29,28 area, but as all those immediate spots are taken, and shockingly all by women, meaning she would be the third woman in a row near that spot (I really need to re-do this list) I am going to go lower ... but then she is behind Pooperboy, which is not right on my list at all, but only proves the fact that I need to do another list at the end.

Sadly, and most likely unfairly, she is going in at #31

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#16 - Dream Girl
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#31 - Sensor Girl
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad
#44 - Ferro Lad

And I agree Jeff, I think I like the look of P.P so much more, obviously, and for mostly the same reasons you discussed Wink but if I was voting on just Projectra alone, I think she would be higher ... I mean in better position no higher in number.  Cheesy I just don't like the Sensor Girl look at all.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »

I have no thoughts on Karate Kid or Sensor. I've only read little of them, and nothing resonated with me. That fully body costume of hers is assful.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:44 AM »

Shadow Lass

Home world: Talok VIII
Powers: Shadow-casting.
Alternate version (known as "Shadow Woman") first appeared as a future deceased member in Adventure Comics #354 (March 1967).
Canonical version first appeared in Adventure Comics #365 (February 1968).
Joined in Adventure Comics #366 (March 1968).
Shadow Lass was created in 1968 by writer Jim Shooter and Curt Swan.

Origin & History
Tasmia Mallor is the latest in a line of hereditary shadow champions of her desert homeworld of Talok VIII, as were her ancestors before her for the past thousand years. Tasmia possesses the blue skin and pointed ears typical of her race, and as the Talokian champion she has the power to create and manipulate darkness.

When the team of super-villains known as the Fatal Five attacked and conquered Talok VIII, Tasmia was off-world and unable to defend her people. But she seized the opportunity to request the aid of the Legion of Super-Heroes and led them to her homeworld. The Legion made Tasmia a temporary Legionnaire during the ensuing battle, and together they defeated the Fatal Five. Afterward Tasmia was offered full membership into the Legion and she accepted, taking the code name of Shadow Lass. She became the first Legionnaire in history to win membership directly through battle.

She became romantically involved with Mon-El and eventually married him after he was mortally wounded fighting the Time Trapper as part of the conspiracy to avenge Superboy's death at the Trapper's hands. Their marriage was rocky for many years despite their strong feelings for each other, and Tasmia went into mourning when Mon-El died. The mourning was temporary, as he returned to her, inhabited briefly by the Time Trapper's essence, until a cataclysmic battle erased the Trapper from existence and completely rewrote reality.

At the start of current continuity (Post-Infinite Crisis) Shadow Lass appeared to have broken up with Mon-El, with no reason truly given. Tasmia's close friend Phantom Girl later caught Tasmia in bed with the reformed xenophobe Earth-Man. When Tasmia found out that Mon-El was chosen to be a Green Lantern, she felt a bit uneasy about it. However Mon-El told her that even though his part of the Corp, the Legion and Earth will always be his family. Earth-Man was later killed in action, and by the end of the latest Legion title it appeared that Tasmia and Mon-El were taking steps to patch up their relationship.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Shadow Lass land?  For me she landed at #13.    

What's your opinion of Shadow Lass?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2019, 12:44:08 PM »

I actually expected her to be higher up, but the more I thought about it, I think she is somewhere in the middle for me.
Not that that is a bad thing, but I really thought, at first, she would be in the teens at least.

I will say that she has one of the better Legion names. Both here real name and her hero name.  Smiley

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#16 - Dream Girl
#21 - Saturn Girl
#22 - Shadow Lass
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#31 - Sensor Girl
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad
#44 - Ferro Lad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2019, 10:17:07 PM »

Chemical King

Home world: Phlon
Powers: Control over the rate of chemical reactions.
First mentioned as a future deceased member on the cover of Adventure Comics #354 (March 1967).
Joined in Adventure Comics #372 (September 1968).
Died preventing World War VII in Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes#228 (June 1977).

Origin & History
Chemical King's name is first mentioned in the "Adult Legion" story in Adventure Comics #354, where it is engraved on a memorial statue which read that Chemical King had died sacrificing his life to prevent World War VII. The adult Legion stories were believed to be true glimpses of the Legion's future, and it was not until years later that they were revealed to belong to a different possible timeline.

Condo Arlik was born to a normal pair of colonists on the planet Phlon, His birth was uneventful, until the hospital started rusting around him. The doctors quickly discovered the newborn was responsible for the oxidation, and isolated Condo. The began a strict education regimen for the young boy, subjecting him to lesson after lesson in science and chemistry so that Condo could will the objects around him to act normally, despite his power.

Condo spent his life up until his mid-teens in nearly complete seclusion, making him a very lonely individual. Eventually, a brilliant young biochemist named Lyle Norg, the Legion's Invisible Kid took an interest in Condo's case. Lyle managed not only to concoct a formula to help Condo with his powers, but also reach out and deeply befriend the isolated teenager, taking him out and showing him many of the things he'd missed in his isolation. With his newfound control over his catalyst abilities, and the help of a new mentor and friend, Condo tried out for and was accepted into the newly founded Legion Academy under the alias 'Chemical King'.

After he and fellow Legion Cadet Timber Wolf managed to infiltrate the Legion of Super-Villains, they were granted full membership in the LSH. Chemical King served honorably, though he did seem to suffer from a slight inferiority complex throughout his tenure. After the death of Lyle at the hands of monstrous Validus, Condo became even more withdrawn from his teammates and peers.

When the Australian leader Deregon turned out to be a mole for the villainous Dark Circle, the Legion tried to apprehend him before his machinations began World War VII. When Deregon armed an extremely powerful explosive, Chemical King rushed forward into the bath of radiation the device was giving off, to disarm it. While managing to render the device inert, Condo had also absorbed too much radiation, and died in the line of duty. He was buried a hero of the Legion, and laid to rest next to his best friend.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Chemical King land?  For me he landed at #41.    

What's your opinion of Chemical King?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2019, 02:46:08 AM »

Who?!

That's how he rates to me. Grin

And Shadow Lass I figured would be higher up my list, ya know, because of sex appeal.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »

What is the last place number? Two above that!
(Just to give me room in-case I am forgetting someone ... which I sure I am)
 Grin

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS