HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:01:17 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69688 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2019, 08:30:04 PM »

Now, as for Mon-El, and this might be a big shocker to you guys, but yeah ...

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But I ranked him a lot higher than Superboy/man also so I'm not THAT surprised.   Wink

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »

A pure unfiltered Superman analog, and he's your second favorite?!?! Shocked

Cheesy
I knew that would blow your mind a tad, Jimmy, but he is so much better than Supes, to me. I liked his Phantom Zone origin/struggles, I love that his kryptonite was something as common as lead (a lead alergy? ha) and back when I was a kid reader, he actually had a personality.
 Grin
Plus, for some reason, he always looked cooler when he used any of his eye power beams. Maybe it was the red backdrop of his uniform, but whatever the reason he always looked real cool blasting, say, heatvision.
Of course I went looking for an image of him doing just that and I couldn't find any.
He does have the "___" Vision powers, yeah?
Tell me I am not misremembering that badly
Tell me I did not just type misremembering!!!
 Cheesy Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2019, 03:39:04 PM »

No, he's an exact duplicate of Superman.

Not that they could have known 60 years ago that making a planet of exact Supermans-that wasn't blown up!!!-wouldn't be something to be worried about.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »

Grin
Sure, he started out that way, other than the Phantom Zone time and the Lead poisoning, but he did get a much better "character" with personality long before your silly man with an "S" did ... at least in the order I read them both
 Wink
EDIT
But I am now enjoying Superman (well, in Action Comics anyway) so what do I know?
 Grin Grin
  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:28:30 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »

And now for Jimmy's #1............

Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2019, 10:01:00 PM »

Matter-Eater Lad

Home world: Bismoll
Powers:  Can eat any substance.
First appeared and joined in Adventure Comics #303 (December 1962).
Matter-Eater Lad was created by Jerry Siegel and John Forte.

Origin & History
Matter-Eater Lad was the fifteenth member to join the Legion of Super-Heroes. When his homeworld of planet Bismoll found that microbes had made all their food inedible, the population evolved their ability to eat all matter as a survival mechanism to overcome that problem. Tenzil had such an ability and used it to gain admission to the Legion.

He was constantly being drafted into his planet's political system due to his fame as a Legion member. He did have one major moment of heroism as a Legionnaire, when he saved the universe by eating the "indestructible" Miracle Machine, though the energies of the device left him insane for several years.

His insanity would eventually be cured by Brainiac 5, and he would become a free spirit who reveled against his planet's virtual enslavement of him as a senator by becoming a multi-media celebrity. He eventually came into conflict with former Legion villain Prince Evillo, founder of The Devil's Dozen, and was sent to a Hades-like dimension. Having been technically "dead," Kem was voted out of office by the opposition party.

The events of the Infinite Crisis miniseries have restored a close analogue of the Pre-Crisis Legion to continuity. Matter-Eater Lad is included in their number but is MIA.

In Superman #694, Matter-Eater Lad is revealed to have been masquerading as Mon-El's friend Mitch, owner of a local cafe. He reveals his identity by stepping in to save a woman trapped in a burning car, allowing Mon-El to continue fighting the larger threats.

As revealed in Adventure Comics (vol. 2) #8, Matter-Eater Lad is part of a secret team sent by the late RJ Brande to the 21st century to save the future in the Last Stand of New Krypton storyline.

Beyond this...we don't know what has happened to Matter-Eater Lad!

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Matter-Eater Lad land?  For me he is at #37.    

What's your opinion of Matter-Eater Lad?

*Above info found on Wikipedia, Comicvine, and DC.Fandom.com.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2019, 10:03:59 PM »

I have to admit, I had forgotten all about his story of going insane while saving the world and then getting cured by Brainiac 5 in order to save the world a second time.  I had him at 43 but bumped him up after getting my memory jarred while researching this one.  Like Perry, I may have to re-do my list once I finish this!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »

Where you had him is almost where I am placing him. If 43 is the last, MEL falls into spot #42. Not much more to say about that
 Grin

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »

Where you had him is almost where I am placing him. If 43 is the last, MEL falls into spot #42. Not much more to say about that
 Grin

Actually - there are 50 spots.  On my list #'s 45-50 have six legionnaires I've never read about so I put them there and am not considering them really listed on my list.

So at 43 on my list he would have been second to last, like yours.

And I suspect my last place spot is reserved for the exact same member as yours.  In fact, I'd bet the farm on that.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »

I don't know ... Maybe?  Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2019, 02:11:52 AM »

There's my boy- MATTER EATER JIM, er, LAD!!!

Love this power! LOL

OH man, I had no idea he went crazy and all that.

I bet he's been forgotten in the past now. Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »

Since Thursday is the 4th of July, I'm going to post this week's Legionnaire early. 

And since I'll be on vacation next week, I may not be able to post one for next week.

So enjoy this next one for awhile.   Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »

Element Lad

Home world: Trom
Powers:  Elemental transmutation.
First appeared and joined in Adventure Comics #307 (April 1963).

Origin & History
In his first story he is briefly known as "Mystery Lad" as the Legionnaires try to guess his superpower. Jan is the last survivor of Trom; with all of the planet's natives sharing Jan's abilities, the other Trommites had been massacred by the space pirate Roxxas for refusing to transmute valuable elements for him. Jan had only survived this genocide because he had been in space at the time.

With the aid of the Legion, Roxxas is brought to justice and Jan joins the Legion, using the codename Element Lad. He is a member of the Legion for many years, serving terms as leader and deputy leader. He is eventually linked romantically to Shvaughn Erin, the Science Police's Legion liaison, who herself first appeared in Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #241 (July 1978).

Element Lad has always been one of the most powerful members of the Legion, yet one of the most withdrawn. His mental discipline, which guarded him from accidentally killing people with a stray thought, allowed few people to get close to him. This changed when he met the Science Police liaison to the Legion, Shvaughn Erin. Their relationship grew at a pivotal time in Jan's Legion career. After serving as the team's deputy leader, he was appointed to the post by Lightning Lad, who resigned. He was angered to lose the ensuing election to Dream Girl, (coming in second for the fourth time) but bounced back after that to win two full terms for himself. Jan and Shvaughn made a good team. They worked together to investigate suspicious things surrounding the Legionnaire Shrinking Violet and eventually uncovered the fact that she'd been replace by a Durlan spy.

After Infinite Crisis, Element Lad's original history has more or less been reestablished. He was a member of the team that went back to the 21st century to help Mon-El fulfill his destiny, during which time he posed as one of Superboy (Kon-El)'s teachers in Smallville.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Element Lad land?  For me he is at #4 and I always preferred the green and blue uniform even though the arrow made no sense.    

What's your opinion of Element Lad?

*Above info found on Wikipedia, Comicvine, and DC.Fandom.com.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2019, 02:58:06 AM »

I remember thinking why does this guy play second fiddle to anyone? Arguably one of the most powerful people in existence, I guess he would only be limited in his power scope and abilities. I mean, he's a walking fusion reactor! He doesn't wield sun powers like Sun Boy, he can create the entire process at any given time!

I guess I always found him lacking in what he did with his powers. I always thought he should be unstoppable, ala the Molecule Man from Hickman's Secret Wars.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »

I am placing him at #7, but I already know I am moving him up when I re-do this list of mine. I should place him in that opening at #5, but I just can't move him ahead of the character that I have set for that spot yet. However, if I continue to re-read/read more of the 80's Legion I am currently/occasionally going through, he may just jump ahead of that character anyway.

I had honestly forgotten how important Element Lad was to the Legion. If nothing else, I am glad I have gone back to read the issues I recently did to find that I need to acknowledge that fact. This guy is not just a typical member, he is an important one. I agree with Jimmy about the use (of lack of) of his powers, but his mental side, his leadership is top notch and the issues I am into now really show that fact. But yes, he should have been shown to be a lot more powerful than he was shown in the issues I remember ... and the ones I don't. Haha

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS