HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:24:09 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69712 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »

Ultra Boy

Home world: Rimbor
Powers:  Super-strength, super-speed, flight, invulnerability, flash vision, and "penetra-vision" (all approximately at Kryptonian power levels), only one of which can be used at a time.
Ultra Boy was created by Jerry Siegel and Curt Swan.
First appeared and joined in Superboy #98 (July 1962).  

Origin & History
Jo Nah (his real name was derived from the biblical figure Jonah by his creators) was a young man born on the seedy world of Rimbor. He used to run with a gang called the Emerald Dragons. Jo was traveling in his space-speedster when he was swallowed by an energy-beast. Fortunately, a Galactic Patrol Cruiser saw this and rescued him by slicing the creature open with a ray. Jo escaped, but his body was charged by the radiation of the monster. He discovered that he could see through anything, even lead. Later, he found that the energy could be used for many different powers, but he could only use it for one super-power at a time. He decided to use these abilities to help law enforcement, earning him the name UItra Boy and a recommendation to join the Legion of Super-Heroes. As part of his initiation, Jo traveled with Marla Latham to the 20th century to learn Superboy's secret identity. Upon success, Ultra Boy was inducted into the team.

As a Legionnaire, Ultra Boy proved to be one of their cleverest members. He purposefully planted a criminal record for himself to be expelled by the Legion, so that he could gain the trust of space thieves and then turn around and bring them into custody. Legionnaire Phantom Girl was his biggest defender. The two began a long-term romance shortly thereafter. Ultra Boy often worked alongside Mon-El and Superboy as the Legion's "big three" for their power levels.

Ultra Boy served two terms as Legion leader. He campaigned for a third term as Legion leader but became the deputy to Dream Girl. Their leadership styles were incompatible and he resigned from the position.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Ultra Boy land?  For me he is at #7.    

What's your opinion of Ultra Boy?

*Above info found on Wikipedia, Comicvine, and DC.Fandom.com.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:16:21 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »

Before I get to this one, I want to interrupt the polling and talk about the new Legion series that is ready to semi-start (well, start with a two issue mini) in September.

First off and I have no idea why this didn't hit me as soon as it was announced that Bendis was aging Jon, but yeah, he is going to be in the new Legion, filling the roll as Superboy. Of all the reasons that could have been the case for aging that character, this could be the only one I will, as a fan, accept. As much as I love/loved the partnership and dichotomy of Damien and Jon, I think it is a great idea. If you are restarting the legion, you need a Superboy. Okay, sure, you don't NEED one, but it sure makes sense given the history. So yes, sorry Bendis, even though I will miss young Jon more than I can express, I apologize. This is smart. (Having him and his mother go off with his "Grand-father" in order to age him was crazy stupid and something Clark would've never done, but means to end and all that I suppose)
 Roll Eyes

Anyway, if you guys have seen the cover to Superman #15 you can see some of the Legionnaires making their appearance  ... seen below, in the middle of the group

My question about the pic (other than why oh why the crazy ass hair styles!!!??), is who is that last character coming through behind Wildfire? A closer look ...

Is that the aforementioned Ultra Boy? Timberwolf? Some new character? Anyone recognize that chest pattern?
_________
SEMI-EDIT (thought of this right before I posted Cheesy) - Could that be Booster? It kinda looks like him, yeah? Or at least his colors and something he would/could look like?
_________

We can already tell some changes to the core three as Cosmic Boy now appears to be Latin. But anyone want to take odds on if Lightning Lad ... or Saturn Girl will be gay? Ya know, got to keep up with the times and all. If they do the entire Legion roster, at least two members will be gay, three Latin, 3 Black. Much like when James Robinson introduced Alan Scott as gay when he reset the JSA in Nu52, now is the time to do it. As long as they don't change Dawnstar. Man, would they get pummeled
 Cheesy

Here is some more pics of the new designs ... nothing on the one character I asked about above though  Angry

Wildfire looked a little too skinny for me at first, but I also think that makes sense. An energy cloud doesn't need to look super buff.
 Grin

One first glance, I hated Chameleon Boy. Change is hard darn it. But the more I looked at it, the more I felt it was perfect. He now LOOKS like someone that would be a changeling
 Smiley

Shadow Lass is great, Brainiac 5 is ... okay, Lightning Lad looks about the same (which is good, his look is perfect) and Saturn Girl's outfit is ... gonna take some time to get used to. I get it, Rings around Saturn, but ...
 Undecided

~~ Also, posting this and thinking about the Legion reminded me that I forgot to reply to a post from Jimmy a couple days ago, I had to run out right when I saw it and then I forgot all about it, so while I am thinking about it, while I am here in the Legion thread, while I don't feel like searching for his original post and before I forget again, I am going to reply here -

Yes Jimmy, that cover of Millennium #1 is really F'n cool the way it looks like the Legion Flight Rings!!!
 Smiley

Now, I guess that is all for now ... other than replying to Jeff's poll.
 Smiley

Well I can already see my list is jacked up. I have a pretty good idea who I want to fill the top 10, or I did, but now? I guess I forgot about him or ... something. Anyway, I will fix it at the end
 Grin

I believe Ultra Boy to be one of the most used Legionnaires. I am just thinking back to all the Legion stories I remember and it seems he was in everyone of them using "one" of his powers to help out. I know that is not the case, but man, it seems like it and that often used to help factor alone makes him a valuable member, so he just has to go in my top 10 ... which means someone has to fall out ... UUUGGGHHHH

Okay, again, I will finalize later but for now, I'm sliding him in at one spot below Jeff. I think that is close to where he would end up, so yeah ... that sounds good. For now
 Cheesy

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 -
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »

(Having him and his mother go off with his "Grand-father" in order to age him was crazy stupid and something Clark would've never done, but means to end and all that I suppose)

No.

That is where I have always had a big issue with Bendis. I can't stand his continuity/history ambivalence/ignorance/ignoring just to tell the story he wants. THAT is a huge issue I have with Bendis. That drives me crazy. That's just lazy writing.

But your joy is infectious, Perry! Carry on. Wink

*also, I bet Reep is going to be that blathering rookie idiot dialogue character for Bendis. You know? Spidey from Avengers, Iceman from X-men, Star Lord from GotG. I'd bet money on it. Also, I would bet money that at some point, first issue even, that Imra does that stupid stilted 'uh huh?' 'uh huh' 'yeah?' yeah but'  conversation "dialogue" of his, but with her being the only one answering, since she's reading Rokk's mind and just answering out loud the question's he's thinking.

Also, will the Durlan's be his Skrulls here for an invasion? Will he turn Brande's focus on his head as a spy for the Durlan's, and that the Legion was meant to foster good will and allegiance to him, only to be turned as a weapon on the United Planets?

How obnoxiously snarky and one-linery only will Lightning Lad be? (ala Bendis' Iron Man, Spider-woman, etc).

Wow...I will stop. I'll leave it here, but I'll apologize.

And maybe I should just leave.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2019, 08:11:23 PM »

Joy? I was being snarky about means to an end, brotha!!
 Grin

And sure all those things are gonna happen. Those are his tropes. Each and every writer has them. It is just that Bendis' tropes aggravate you more than other writers.

And no way you should leave. Who will be are curmudgeon if you leave?
 Cheesy

Still hope this starts off with a bang. If it is anything like his run on Action Comics I will be very happy. If it like his Superman title, I will be less so.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2019, 01:19:01 AM »

"Your Honor? Request to have my statement stricken from the record."
"Granted."

Sorry there Perry. I totally misread that. Cool Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2019, 10:32:30 AM »

Sorry there Perry. I totally misread that. Cool Wink

Grin
Perfectly fine, buddy. As long as you miss it when I do stupid stuff like this from time to time ...

And no way you should leave. Who will be are curmudgeon if you leave?

Roll Eyes
Man, it's getting really bad now. The brain is a slippin'

"Their" is no way to get around it and "they're" is nothing "worst" "then" making those simple spelling mistakes "are" grammar errors. It "effects" me a lot, but I beg "you're" forgiveness
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »

First thing I said when I saw the Legion pictures was "What's with the shitty haircuts?"

I see Perry thought the same thing but voiced it more tactfully than I did.

When reading through your thoughts on PCing up the Legion, don't forget - Shrinking Violet and Lightning Lass are already in a lesbian relationship.  So it wouldn't be unprecedented to make some changes.  Of course I hate changing current characters when it doesn't make sense.  I fully believe you can introduce new characters that are of diverse backgrounds and that they can become popular and hold their own in the current universe.  I wish they would do more of that.

I'm pretty confidant that other character is Timbor Wolf.  I need to look up his symbol but I think it looks like him.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:18:33 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2019, 08:23:42 PM »

My thought was for Timber Wolf, if for nothing else the seemingly apparent orange hue of his suit, and the goatee he's sporting (for the mysterious character).

And Ultra Boy! Back to topic, I love Ultra Boy! The weird green phoenix bird on the chest; solid red shirt with GREEN pants! (okay, to me, Robin pulls it off, but not Ultra Boy so much), but still a big favorite of mine! In the top 5 of my unwritten list!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »

See, Jimmy? You see Orange and I see Gold
 Grin
You are probably right though. Heck, you and Jeff both think it is Timberwolf and are probably correct.

And Jeff, yes, LL and SV do indeed fill two spots. Didn't even think about that. I guess that knocks out Lightning Lad as being the third, no way the do the brother sister both gay, I don't see that happening, but it would be wild. Cosmic Boy did have that pink uniform, I hope they don't go that route either. And please, not Matter-Eater Lad
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 02:43:13 AM »

With everything going on in Doomsday Clock to fix the time line, I don’t think they’re really going to erase decades of continuity after just bringing the Silver age Legion back.  That would be a mistake.  We’ll just have to wait and see.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »

With everything going on in Doomsday Clock to fix the time line, I don’t think they’re really going to erase decades of continuity after just bringing the Silver age Legion back. 

I agree for the most part, but we are already seeing a difference from the Silver Age Legion with Cosmic Boy and he is one eighth of the group we have seen. I am sure there will be more than that.

And I am not saying that is a bad thing, merely that it will be a thing
 Grin
And just to clarify, not that it needs it, but just want to do it  Grin the comment about Cosmic Boy wearing pink was only a reference to how stupid it would be if, because of that, they decided to turn his sexuality. I don't care if everyone in the Legion turns out to be gay (although that would probably stir a hell of a lot of turmoil  Cheesy Cheesy), but I don't want the only male character that once wore pink to be one of the ones they choose. ya know, don't be that company. Don't be that anything.
 Smiley

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »

I hated and at the same time loved his "open front, closed sides"costume.

It truly made no sense. Especially for a guy.
 Cheesy

Appealed to the gays.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »

Mon-El

Home world: Daxam
Powers:  Same powers as a Kryptonian, but with vulnerability to lead instead of Kryptonite; see Powers and abilities of Superman.
First appeared and sent to the Phantom Zone in Superboy #89 (June 1961).
Joined in Adventure Comics #300 (September 1962). Freed from the Phantom Zone after more than 1000 years in Adventure Comics #305 (February 1963).

Origin & History
When Superman was still just young Clark Kent, a rocket containing a boy with powers much like his own crash landed in Smallville. The boy awoke with no memories of who he was, but he spoke Kryptonian. Believing the boy to be a survivor of Krypton like himself, Clark gave him the name Mon-El which means "Mon" because he landed on Earth on a Monday and "El" from Clark's Kryptonian family name. Mon-El adopted a human secret identity Bob Cobb to integrate into Superboy's hometown of Smallville. However, when Mon-El failed to experience pain during an unnoticed inadvertent exposure to kryptonite, Superboy suspected Mon-El was deliberately pretending to be a Kryptonian for some nefarious purpose.

Superboy created a fake kryptonite meteorite made of lead, when Mon-El is exposed to lead cause him collapsed in pain and he also regains his memories. Mon-El explained to Clark that he was from the planet Daxam. Clark found out that unlike Kryptonite poisoning, lead poisoning could not be reversed. To save his friend's life, Clark placed Mon-El in the Phantom Zone until a cure for him could be found.

Clark never found a cure and Mon-El remained in the Phantom Zone, that was until the 31st Century when he is released by Legion of Super-Heroes. Saturn Girl created a temporary antidote Serum XY-4, which allows Mon-El to be released from the Zone for brief periods of time. During this period, he was considered an honorary Legionnaire. Later Brainiac 5 created a permanent antidote, based on Saturn Girl's serum, with the addition of Kryptonite.

He stayed with the Legion for many years and serving several terms as leader. He also found the love of his life with his teammate, Tasmia Mallor (Shadow Lass). He stayed away from Daxam for the most part, until the evil Darkseid transformed the entire planet into his "Servants of Darkness." The Servants completely destroyed the planet and after they were freed, Mon-El took responsibility for helping his people return to normal.

When last seen, Mon-El was chosen to become a Green Lantern by Dyogene. Before leaving, he told by Shadow Lass that even though he is a GL, the Legion, Earth and his friends will always be his family.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Mon-El land?  For me he is at #5.    

What's your opinion of Mon-El?

*Above info found on Wikipedia, Comicvine, and DC.Fandom.com.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »

I hated and at the same time loved his "open front, closed sides"costume.

It truly made no sense. Especially for a guy.
 Cheesy

Appealed to the gays.

Smiley
Did it? Or was it just you?  Grin
It still made no sense, I mean, he had to use that spray to hold the thing up!!
"Come on Cos, there is an emergency!"
"Okay, but let me first spray my sides so my costume will stay on"
 Grin

And while I'm not gay, I also did admit that the stupid ass thing appealed to me too
 Grin 

Now, as for Mon-El, and this might be a big shocker to you guys, but yeah ...

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#21 - Saturn Girl
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#30 - Superboy
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »

A pure unfiltered Superman analog, and he's your second favorite?!?! Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS