HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:45:37 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 69692 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »

Timber Wolf

Home world: Zoon
Powers: Superhuman agility and strength.  Later claws and fangs, super-senses, and accelerated healing.
First appeared (as "Lone Wolf") in Adventure Comics #327 (December 1964).
Joined in Adventure Comics #372 (September 1968).

Origin & History
Brin even at an early age was active and displayed extraordinary tracking abilities. Brin’s father, Dr. Mar Londo used the Zuunium ray device he created to give his son, Brin Londo, partial super-powers. As there was only enough of the element to use on his son, Dr. Londo died soon after from the strain of overwork, but happy that he succeeded in his dream. Dr Londo's super strong android, Karth Arn, was jealous of the love Dr. Londo gave his son instead of him, and tormented Brin who was suffering physically and mentally from the treatment, believing himself doomed to eternal loneliness, Brin wandered his planet and took on the name Lone Wolf.

Karth was upset that Dr. Londo gave Brin the powers of the ray or Zuunium and that he was left as head of the Londo household. Being that he was the one that retrieved the element he felt that he should have gotten this honor. This caused Karth use a stun gun on Brin which gave him amnesia. He led Brin to believe that he was Karth and the Karth himself was Brin Londo the son of Dr. Londo. Soon afterward, Brin, believing himself to be Karth, ran away so he could go someplace where he could pass for human, leaving the android to carry on posing as Brin Londo. The android feared Brin's return and so began to build powerful weapons to deal with him should that day come. Wandering the world for a year he made it to Earth where he attended the interplanetary circus. Brin managed to save to audience of the circus from a stampede of wild animals by lifting a spotlight, scaring the animals away before anyone could get hurt. Legionnaires Light Lass and Brainiac 5 were at the circus and saw it all happen. Light Lass was impressed by his heroics and invited him to apply for the Legion of Super-Heroes. Believing he was still the android Karth Arn he declined saying he was more of a "Lone Wolf". After a series of crimes were made to be believed that Brin "Lone Wolf" was the thief. The Legionnaires went to investigate, and saw that there were no fingerprints. When a second team arrived, their cruiser was hit by a strange blue ray, which began to pull them into another dimension. Seeing their peril, Lone Wolf rammed his ship into theirs, knocking them out of the ray's path. In the aftermath of the crash, Light Lass awakened "Lone Wolf" with a kiss, and after revealing to her that he wasn't human he ran away at super-speed. The Legionnaires uncovered information regarding Dr. Mar Londo's android experimentation from years ago and questioned "Brin Londo" - actually Karth Arn - regarding Lone Wolf. When the real Brin Londo approached the building, Ultra Boy jumped him. After Brainiac 5 found the stolen space crystals and inter-dimensional ray in Londo's lab he was convinced that Karth Arn was the real android thief and cured Lone Wolf of his amnesia.

A few years later he entered the Legion under the codename Timberwolf. Shortly after, Brin was thought dead for six months, but had actually been kidnapped by the villain Tyr. During his captivity, Brin’s body evolved and even when fully human, he gained some animalistic traits like clawed fingernails, slightly elongated canines and enhanced strength and speed.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Timber Wolf land?  For me he landed at #18.    

What's your opinion of Timber Wolf?

*Above info found on Comicvine.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2019, 10:58:40 PM »

Next up - we are now leaving the Silver Age of the Legion of Super-Heroes and entering the "Bronze Age".

And the first person to join is also my pick for #1 Legionnaire!!!

Hold your breathe because here he comes!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59:34 PM »

Wildfire

Home world: Earth
Powers: Energy blasts and manipulation, flight.
First appeared (as "ERG-1") in Superboy #195 (June 1973).
Joined in Superboy #202 (May/June 1974).

Origin & History
Wildfire was originally Drake Burroughs, an astroengineer. While he was working on a new propulsion system, the unit's safety valve snapped and discharged a blast of anti-matter energy. Burroughs was engulfed and his body disintegrated instantly. However, his consciousness somehow survived, and he found himself transformed into a being of pure anti-energy. His colleagues had on hand a "containment suit" that could be used to keep Drake's anti-energy from dispersing. Once confined to a specific area, Drake's energy form stabilized and became self-regenerating. He again possessed a semblance of humanoid form; however, he had no true human form and lacked most human sensory functions, such as taste or touch.

Drake's new form had vast super-powers, the most potent of which was the power to fire energy blasts. He was originally reluctant to use that ability due to an accident in which he nearly killed his former girlfriend. Calling himself ERG-1 (Energy Release Generator 1), Drake decided to petition for membership in the Legion. To his surprise, he was turned down because the abilities he demonstrated simply duplicated those of other members such as Mon-El, Colossal Boy, and Chemical King; at that time, Legion's by-laws required that each member possess at least one superpower no other active member had. Drake had not demonstrated his energy-blasting or manipulation abilities because he was afraid he could not control them safely. Still, anxious to prove his abilities, he followed several Legionnaires on a mission to the planet Manna-5, during which Colossal Boy was knocked unconscious by an enemy machine and none of the other Legionnaires present had the power to save him. ERG-1 destroyed the machine, but expelled all his energy from his containment suit. Because his energy form was invisible, the Legionnaires assumed he had been killed in saving Colossal Boy and that his power could only be used once.

However, ERG-1 was alive. By now, his energy form was stable enough so that he could survive without his suit, though he could neither take humanoid form nor communicate with anyone. He followed the Legionnaires back to Earth where they put his containment suit on display. Upon reaching the Legionnaires' headquarters, he managed to regain the suit and save the Legion from another menace. He was then admitted to the team and adopted the name Wildfire.

Initially, Wildfire and Superboy were rivals and actually fought over the position of team leader. Wildfire acquitted himself well in that battle, establishing that his raw power was comparable to a Kryptonian's. As leader, Wildfire got mixed reviews. Though he was decisive and a gifted tactician, his poor people skills swiftly alienated many of his fellow members (though not, ironically, Superboy; at the conclusion of a particularly rough crisis, he told his one-time rival that he had become "one hell of a Legionnaire.") He led the Legion through the Earthwar and Omega crises but was defeated for re-election by Lightning Lad.

Shortly after becoming leader, Wildfire recruited a young Amerindian mutant, Dawnstar. He soon became enamored of her, but for years theirs was a love-hate relationship. It was clear to their teammates that they were extremely fond of each other, if not actively in love, but Dawnstar would not admit to her feelings. Wildfire, in return, was often passive-aggressive in his treatment of her. It was eventually revealed that Dawnstar did reciprocate his feelings. However, she feared that she would never know physical love since Wildfire did not possess a physical body.

He was, for a while, able to control his energy-form without the containment suit, thanks to the help of Quislet, but his touch burned Dawnstar and the two of them agreed that their love would never be complete. In addition, Quislet was soon forced to leave the Legion, and Wildfire was unable to keep his physical form without Quislet's help.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Wildfire land?  For me he lands at #1!    

What's your opinion of Wildfire?

*Above info found on Comicvine and Wikipedia.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:20:23 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2019, 12:28:37 PM »

No shock there  Grin

But damn, how did I miss another one?  Angry

Be back soon!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2019, 10:03:12 PM »

Always saw him as a Superman-lite with a bland costume. His portrayal on Supergirl was good, though.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2019, 11:06:52 PM »

Tyroc

Home world: Earth (Marzal Island)
Powers: Sonic screams that create unusual effects.
First appeared in Superboy #216 (April 1976).
Joined in Superboy #218 (July 1976).
Tyroc was created by writer Cary Bates and artist Mike Grell.
He was the first Legionnaire to be of African descent.

Origin & History
Tyroc first discovered his abilities while saving his playmates from an approaching demon from neighboring dimensional space. Tyroc's home of Marzal was like the fabled Brigadoon, a piece of land which vanished from Earth to another dimension for extended periods of time. Marzal would spend several years on Earth as an island off the coast of Africa before vanishing for several more years, only to reappear again. As he became an adult, Tyroc served as his people's champion being the only one with powers to help ward off visitors and other trespassers. Troy took the name Tyroc as it fit his sonic scream abilities, being a Marzalian translation of "Scream of the Devil."

During a period of time that Marzal had returned to Earth, Tyroc met several Legionnaires who were responding to an emergency on the island. Tyroc was initially unwilling to let the Legionnaires help, but eventually he was able to work out his differences with the newcomers and together they were able to save Troy's homeland. The Legion was very impressed with his power-set and offered Tyroc membership to their team. Tyroc declined the offer, even though he was fond of the Legion's open-mindedness and bravery. After another encounter with the Legionnaires, Tyroc ultimately accepted and joined the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Racist character?
According to Mike Grell, who co-created Tyroc with Cary Bates, the character of Tyroc was "sort of a sore spot with me."  He had previously tried to introduce black characters into the series, but had been prevented by then-editor Murray Boltinoff.  "I kept getting stalled off...and finally comes Tyroc. They might as well have named him Tyrone. Their explanation for why there were no black people [in the Legion] was that all the black people had gone to live on an island. It's possibly the most racist concept I've ever heard in my life...I mean, it's a segregationist's dream, right? So they named him Tyroc, and gave him the world's stupidest super-power."

Grell's dislike of Tyroc was strong enough that he deliberately made him look ridiculous, saying, "I gave him a silly costume. It was somewhere between Elvis' Las Vegas costume and something you would imagine a pimp on the street corner wearing."

Grell notes that physically, Tyroc is based on the football player Fred Williamson. "I modeled him somewhat on Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, who was a movie star at the time...and gave him this "Elvis Presley goes to Las Vegas" kind of a costume, and that's pretty much it. That was the extent of my contribution to Tyroc."

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Tyroc land?  For me he lands at #30.    

What's your opinion of Tyroc?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2019, 11:09:26 PM »

Crap. Forgot to get back to this ... I will get to it tomorrow  Shocked Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2019, 11:24:30 PM »

Lol.  Your three behind now.   Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2019, 01:32:37 AM »

Have not liked Tyroc in anytthing ive read

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2019, 02:54:29 AM »

I remember buying the actual issues he debuted in off the spinner rack.  I didn't care for him then either.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »

Lol.  Your three behind now.   Grin

HAHAHA, I suck!!!!

I remember buying the actual issues he debuted in off the spinner rack.  I didn't care for him then either.

FOR SHAME!!!
No, just kidding. I have no love for him either, but I have to admit loving his look back in the day. Looked like Iron Fist and Cage melted into one  Grin Grin But no, not a great character for me either so I feel comfortable (as much as I can be  Grin) throwing him in at #33

Now, catching up ...

Jeff, you and I are pretty close on most of these characters. Maybe not now because I screwed my list so badly so early  Undecided and of course I have another difference coming right after this one that separates us a tad further, but for Timber-Wolf, I agree wholeheartedly with your spot and am taking it.

Now ... this one is a recent change. Wildfire, from the time I first saw him about 40, was my uber favorite Legionnaire. Bar none!
But ... BUT ... after reading some of the Legion of Super-Heroes Baxter issues and really seeing what I didn't see before, Drake Burroughs is a DICK!!!!!

I hope when (if ever) I get further away from the writing of Levitz, whom I just recently discovered while reading this run that I have to be in a very specific mood to halfway enjoy, I will regain the love I have for the character, but ugh, he is writing so much like a high-school prick in what I am currently (not in awhile) reading.
It sucks really
 Undecided
He drops from an easy top 5, perhaps my number two or three, to #10

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#10 - Wildfire
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#16 - Dream Girl
#18 - Timber-Wolf
#21 - Saturn Girl
#22 - Shadow Lass
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#31 - Sensor Girl
#33 - Tyroc
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad
#44 - Ferro Lad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2019, 07:41:57 PM »

Dawnstar

Home world: Starhaven
Powers: Interstellar tracking, flight, unaided space travel.
First appeared in Superboy #226 (April 1977).
Joined in Superboy #229 (July 1977). 
Created by writer Paul Levitz and artist Mike Grell

Origin & History
Dawnstar is the daughter of Mistrider & Moonwalker and was born on the planet Starhaven a planet colonized by Amerinds from Earth. Early on in the colonization of Starhaven the colonist were bio-engineered with wings and the ability to survive in space without oxygen or protection from the rigors of space.

Thus like all the native inhabitants of Starhaven, Dawnstar was born with a pair of large feathered wings with a wingspan of 16 feet from wingtip to wingtip that allow her to fly at supersonic speeds in an atmosphere and faster than light speeds in space. Also like the rest of her people Dawnstar is able to fly in space without the need of protection from the rigors of space and without the need for oxygen. However unlike the rest of her people she was born a mutant with the unique ability to track any life form light-years from her own location. Dawnstar also had two younger brothers, Greybird and Greatfire.

When Dawnstar reached adolescence her mutant tracking ability kicked in and her parents built a thriving business having Dawnstar guide star ships through hazardous areas of space.

Legion Academy
Dawnstar later received an invitation to attend the Legion Academy, which she reluctantly accepted at the age of 16 years of age. Her tracking and navigation talents earned her membership on her first mission. Dawnstar used her Legion stipend to pay for enhancing her home world's defenses.

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Dawnstar has served in many missions with the Legion, contributing her often-underrated talents at tracking and high-speed travel to perform many rescues of her colleagues, as well as investigations of personal disappearances and similar mysteries. During the early days of the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Harbinger recruited her among others as the first line of defense.

Legion of Super-Heroes
Dawnstar had a lengthy romance with fellow Legionnaire Drake Burroughs (Wildfire). But because of the fact that Wildfire unique circumstances the romance never really went very far. However they each respected the other's defiant, outspoken personality, although they each counseled each other on working with their talents as part of a team instead of acting as individuals. Wildfire was an anti-energy being in a containment suit, and thus had no physical body. When he briefly was able to partially reverse this, they attempted a physical relationship, but were unsuccessful.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Dawnstar land?  For me she lands at #2.    

What's your opinion of Dawnstar?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2019, 08:01:06 PM »

Believe it or not - we have just hit the number 30!  Thirty of Forty Nine Legionnaires!  And the end of the 1970's.
The top of my list has filled out nicely and except for a couple left, we will soon be getting into members I don't know or know very little about.

Anywho...here is my ranked list so far!

1   Wildfire
2   Dawnstar
3   Brainiac 5
4   Element Lad
5   Mon-El
6   Chameleon Boy
7   Ultra Boy
8   Cosmic Boy
9   Star Boy
10   Dream Girl
11   Phantom Girl
12   Sun Boy
13   Shadow Lass
14   Lightning Lad
15   Saturn Girl
16   Ferro Lad
17   Sensor Girl
18   Timber Wolf
20   Karate Kid
22   Shrinking Violet
23   Duplicate Damsel
24   Lightning Lass
25   Colossal Boy
26   Supergirl
30   Tyroc
32   Superboy
34   Bouncing Boy
35   Invisible Kid
37   Matter-Eater Lad
41   Chemical King
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:09:12 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2019, 08:38:14 AM »

Now this character has remained in the top five for me back to when I first remember seeing her so many years ago. An easy one as I have held this slot open for her since this thread started  Grin Slides right in at #5.

Still going to have to redo this list, as I am sure I will want to raise one or two of the newer legionnaires up, while sliding a couple down further, but I can wait it out until the end to do that ... I think
 Cheesy

Of course looking at these characters above and then looking over their current redesign ... it makes me sad. Not trying to be part of ComicsGate or anything.  Cheesy I'm still gonna try to love the newest incarnation, but some of the new character looks, or redesigns I should say (whether it's the "I totally understand the change, but I don't like it" look of the new Dawnstar costume and head paint to the overall look of F'n Element Lad), combined with a writer that I feel writes better solo or duo characters than groups (and the Legion is one LARGE ASS GROUP), then yeah, I am worried. Hopeful, but worried
 Undecided

#01 - Phantom Girl
#02 - Mon-El
#03 - Cosmic Boy
#04 - Brainiac 5
#05 - Dawny
#06 - Chameleon Boy
#07 - Element Lad
#08 - Ultra Boy
#09 - Sun Boy
#10 - Wildfire
#11 - Star Boy
#12 - Lightning Lad
#14 - Shrinking Violet
#16 - Dream Girl
#18 - Timber-Wolf
#21 - Saturn Girl
#22 - Shadow Lass
#23 - Colossal Boy
#25 - Dublicate Girl
#28 - Supergirl
#29 - Lightning Lass
#30 - Superboy
#31 - Sensor Girl
#33 - Tyroc
#34 - Bouncing Boy
#41 - Invisible Kid
#42 - Matter-Eater Lad
#44 - Ferro Lad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2019, 12:46:08 AM »

Blok

Home world: Dryad
Powers: Superhuman strength and physical resistance; energy absorption.
First appeared as a villain in Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #253 (July 1979).
Joined in Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 2, #272 (February 1981).
Blok created by Gerry Conway and Joe Staton.

Origin & History
Blok is a silicon-based life-form from the planet Dryad with a naturally high density and strength. Carbon based humanoids had come to settle the planet, not realizing that the world was already inhabited by the silicon natives. Blok's people watched the carbon humanoids for a time, and once they determined that they meant no harm, revealed themselves. The two species helped each other and shared the planet. An undetermined time later, Dryad's core became unstable and eventually was destroyed. Blok and his friends misinterpreted the Legion of Super-Heroes' rescue efforts and assumed the heroes had destroyed their world. They swore revenge.

Blok first appeared as a member of the League of Super-Assassins, where he was manipulated by the Dark Man, a clone of Tharok, into attacking the Legion of Super-Heroes. Blok, possibly the last native to the planet Dryad, had been convinced by Tharok that the Legion was seeking to destroy his home world, when in fact the Legionnaires were working to save it. When he learned that the Legionnaires were not his enemies, he turned on the Assassins and eventually joined the Legion. He knew very little of the rest of his race; it was not even clear to him whether his form was that of an adult or a child.

Blok was relatively slow to acclimate to life in the Legion, though he eventually forged a close bond with two of his teammates, Timber Wolf and the White Witch, the latter with whom he eventually fell in love. Blok spent a great deal of leisure time perusing the Legion's voluminous archives, seemingly becoming the teams unofficial historian.

Upon Earth's salvation from Earth-Man, Blok's focus was to find his love interest, the White Witch. She had become prisoner of Mordru and the rescue mission was nearly foiled until the noble sacrifice of Green Lantern Rond Vidar allowed Blok, White Witch, and their teammates to escape.

During a battle with the Legion of Super-Villains, Blok sustained serious damage from Mordru's shadow demons, nearly shattering his form. The White Witch got revenge by absorbing Mordru's black magic essence and becoming the Black Witch. Black Witch took the throne of the Sorcerer's World after, leaving Blok behind. Blok, suffering from his grave injuries, escaped from Brainiac 5's care. He took a Legion cruiser to the Sorcerer's World, where he and the Black Witch admitted their love for one another. When they touched, the Black Witch's dark tendencies subsided and his stone shell became whole and smooth. He chose to remain with her on the Sorcerer's World as her guardian.

On your list of favorite Legionnaires where does Blokland?  For me he lands at #21.    

What's your opinion of Blok?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS