HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:47:01 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 7231 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 23, 2019, 12:33:40 AM »

What do you think of the new line-up for the Guardians?

My first reaction:
Like - Star Lord, Beta Ray Bill, Silver Surfer, Moondragon, Groot, Nova, and Adam Warlock - and if that lady with the blue skin is Quasar then like there too.
Dislike:  Ghost Rider, Darkstar (I like Darkstar but not on the Guardians team), and Gladiator (same as Darkstar).

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:07 AM »

What do you think of the new line-up for the Guardians?

It by Cates. It could have 11 Watchers on the team and I would still read it.
 Cheesy

Dislike:  Ghost Rider,.

Because of who this GR is or ... ?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 12:50:21 AM »

I hate everything they've done with Ghost Rider since switching him to a car instead of the motorcycle.  I know this isn't that Ghost Rider (looks like Aaron's future Frank Castle GR) but I don't like that cross time stuff either.

I mean - I love time travel stories but I hate it when they try to make a future or past time character come live in our "present" where there is already that character in existence.  

EDITED by Perry ...  for spoilers man, For Spoilers!!  Tongue  Grin

EDIT 2 - I did edit it for spoilers, but then I realized if you read it was already on MU, so ... Not really a spoiler tag needed huh?
My bad
Sorry, sir. Forgive my intrusion into your post ... FORGiiiivvvvvve
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:30:12 PM by Perry » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »

Okay, I get ya.

However, and diving into minutia and being a typical comic nerd Cheesy , it is not
Aaron's Frank, as Cates was the writer of that mini
but I get what you mean.
 Tongue

Wink

But so far I am not bothered by that as it can work out (Rachel and countless others from the X-Men and the Black Knight back in the day  Smiley) but I can certainly see the issue if it isn't done correctly as well. My problem, and where I will be 100% with you, is if he just becomes Deadpool 2.0
He is already close to it, really close, but there is enough difference ... right now ... to be a different character. but ...
 Undecided

The really good news is the writer that made him is the one using him, so that is good and hopefully not a bad transition.

I think an insane Frank Castle, who was driven even more insane by becoming a Herald of Galactus, is just an awesome idea and I hope to see him a lot. But ...

Man, now you got me worried about it.
 Undecided

EDIT - and YES .. I also HATE that new Ghost Rider in the car crap
 Angry
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:31:32 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »

Okay, I get ya.

However, and diving into minutia and being a typical comic nerd Cheesy , it is not
Aaron's Frank, as Cates was the writer of that mini
but I get what you mean.
 Tongue

Okay you got me.   Cheesy

It all runs together for my old man brain.    Smiley

As for the rest - you may be right that I may wind up liking it.  When they introduced Lady Thor to replace Unworthy Thor I railed against it as PC police move.  But when I read it...loved it.  And Lady Thor is one of my favorite characters of the past couple of years. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:24:40 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »

I still "feel ya" though.

Man I hope it is good!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:23:37 AM »

Donny Cates GotG #1

Okay, this may stir some different feelings on this issue. In hindsight, after a good 12 hours after I read it, I really liked it. That is not to say it doesn't have its ... things that may divide opinions
 Cheesy

Starting off I was really worried when I got to page two or three (I think it was) and read Groot saying something that I was really struggling with. It just seemed so far off character that I was like
"No way he says that!"
But then I thought about it and ... I guess it kind of makes sense? If you go back to before Groot was this cuddly thing, or this teenager version, Groot was a bad ass. I still don't agree with him saying what he said, at least not in the way he said it, but I am not struggling with it as much as I was at first. I can now ... "see" it better.

That said, the plot of this thing is another point of contention. Some people are going to rail against this. I know one at the LCS that already is, but I, being in the mood I am currently in, LOVE IT. I think it is so cool. Yes, very much a 70's idea, but so what? I think it is very cool.

Tangent ... I liked how a certain character was called by his much cooler name and not his lame ass one and I like the look of his new duds Grin (what, Perry?)
End tangent

Also the ending:? Ha, man, just like how I appreciated what Ethan Sacks did in Old Man Hawkeye, bringing in some history, I like how this plays a nice homage to ... well ... a totally different thing, but ... ya just got to see it I guess.
 Grin

Oh, and sorry Donny Cates, while you showed his value later in the issue, BetaRay Bill could have kicked all kinds of ass in that fight and
taken the Black Order out by himself!
Cheesy
(Okay, that is two little problems I had with the issue)
 Cheesy

And heck, maybe I am giving this "different opinions" thing too much thought. Maybe the plot here will not stir feelings of anger, I am only going by what I have heard ... from one person no less  Grin but I think the plot is great. That said, there is no way I am going to say this is a must buy. Too many things could go badly there after I heard that different opinion, from a guy I respect, but I will say it is a must read, at the very least. I liked it. I really liked it. But will you? Depends I guess.  

I give this a solid 8 out of 10 Korbinite Steel Cables  Grin

Edit - Turns out the Groot thing happened on page 8 ... wow, it seemed earlier than that.
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:31:18 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

I guess we’ll have to get back to you in six months when it hits Unlimited.

In the meantime I can say I hate that they made Groot where everyone can understand him.  I am Groot is one of the things that made him unique.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »

I guess we’ll have to get back to you in six months when it hits Unlimited.

Grin Right on.

In the meantime I can say I hate that they made Groot where everyone can understand him.  I am Groot is one of the things that made him unique.

Me too, although when it was a Groot dialog heavy issue, that shit made me grind my teeth
 Cheesy
We can never be happy!
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 02:45:06 PM »

Well, during DnA's stuff with Annihilation and then into their GoTG, Groot was talking-and he was a very imperious, rageful, and destructive creature!

It was after he came back from a near death, and then with Bendis, that all he said was 'I am Groot' the entire time.

But now...now it's hard to not see him say only those words.

Although..there could be a time when it finally just becomes annoying and a silly comic convention trope. Maybe now is the best time.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »

Just to be clear, while I am a fan of the "I am Groot" ... when it is used in a sparse exchange of conversation  Cheesy, what I didn't like at first about this particular page was what exactly Groot said. Not the he was able to say it.

Also not implying that was what you were replying to.
 Cheesy

Either way, as I said, I have cooled on that feeling since then, found it to be, probably, an okay thing, but at first? Yeah, it hit me as off or out of character.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS