HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:16:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Young Justice  (Read 9863 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 22, 2019, 01:41:20 AM »

Did anyone pick up Bendis' Young Justice?  I'm curious but not enough to put money down on it.

Was it any good?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 04:14:54 AM »

I would have, except that it goes against my#1 rule of 'F*** Bendis and all his books."

Knowing what he did to Jon Kent, I'm not excited to see what kind of Iceman Motrin or dipshit he turns Connor into.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:36:20 PM »

Did anyone pick up Bendis' Young Justice?  I'm curious but not enough to put money down on it.

Was it any good?

I will let you know when I get to it.
Hopefully in a day or so
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

Okay, I am torn honestly. Not for me, I know I didn't much care for it, but for you ... I think the nostalgia could effect the enjoyment level greatly so you could actually come away from this with high enjoyment levels where mine are so low.

Let me just say the art was decent enough, not great, but I have always had issues with Gleason's "eyes". Aside form the ocular  Cheesy the art was pretty darn good.

The writing is ..well, Bendis'y and, like I said in "Weekly", it has a high tone of Avengers Disassembled to it and a tad rushed in parts due to that very thing, but ... well, it wasn't horrible and MAY turn out to be fine, once the team is set.

I can't say buy, but I don't want you to miss out on something you could enjoy either so ... wait for a sale?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »

Actually, I have no interest in this book whatsoever.  The guys over at iFanboy made it their pick of the week which made me go, huh?

But it seemed like something right up Rodney(GayTitan) or Jimmy's alley so I thought I'd throw it out there.

The iFanboy guys liked the Hex character as well.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:24:40 PM »

NORMALLY this would be right up my alley.

I love Tim Drake to death. I love Tim Drake written as the only true heir apparent to Batman (sorry Damien, you don't have the chops Tim does. Tim's planning trumps your single mindedness drive to succeed, destroy, and humiliate. Not that Tim is any slouch in the fitting and destroying everything about his opponent.)

I LOVE Conner Kent. That Superboy from Reign of the Supermen just resonated with me so much-perhaps, because like some older fogies who watched this more than I did with Dick from Robin to Nightwing, I got to watch him grow, grow up, and grow into his role. Loved this character.

I love the friendship these 2 have with Bart Allen. Mind you, most times I can't stand Bart. But coming into Johns Titans, then the Crises', his death and return, I'm a fan. Mind you, still like Wally more, but at least Bart has his own personality as a speedster as well.

Cassie...I like to see how she moves within the group. To me, this is the 'new' Teen Titans group that I look to as 'mine.

Pulling Ameythst is a pretty good move.

Hex? Eh.

Teen Lantern-DAMMIT NO!!! NO NO NO NO!! WTF?!! Better be an alternate reality Lantern. This just bugs the piss out of me.

But, you guys know why I"m not all over this.

F***ing Bendis.

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »

I got the first issue and will get the second issue later today. It was kinda okay. Never really been a fan of this Bart/impulse. My biggest question is "what the fu** did they do to Ameythst and Gemworld?".
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 02:39:59 AM »

I saw this cover for issue 13 and thought, hey I like this art and I like Warlord.  I might need to check this out!!

Then I saw this interior art........

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »

Cheesy
It is a little stylized for sure.
Looks along the lines of a Micheal Avon Oeming (?) from Powers.

I don't hate the look, as I can enjoy some weird ass looking art at times, as I think we all can, but it is odd how some styles or looks just hit our eyes and make is retch at times
 Cheesy Cheesy

I would rather see this stuff over that boring ass, no style that most of Dynamites artists have.

Okay, that is not true.  Cheesy I know there is artists that hit me like this is hitting you. Like the old Frank Robbins for one. I wanted to enjoy Invaders so badly, one of my favorite ideas for a comic title. Mainly because when I was younger, and still to this day, I am fascinated with WWi and WWII, so having a book to read when I was ... what 9 or 10  that starred heroes that fought against those vile Nazis!?!?!?! Are you kidding me!! Instant love. Until Frank Robbins' art hit my eyes.
Oh the sadness.

But I do find that most and yes I do mean most of today's big two comic titles have art that hit me like this art hits you. I find it either nondescript (like Dynamite style, which I truly hate) or like a Frank Robbins ... really bad to my eyes

The glory days are certainly for the big two ... over art wise  Wink. Sure there are still a few good or even utterly fantastic artist still employed there, but a lot of the really cool artists are on projects of their own now. As it should be I suppose.
 Smiley
But new guys are coming in everyday it seems. I am sure there will be another explosion of talent soon!!

I just hope it hits better for you than Young Justice #13 did
 Grin  Smiley

EDIT - I just looked and that IS Oeming's art !!!! There are three different artists on it including Grell "Warlord" himself. And looking at Grell's art now, and I hate to say this, but it looks like he has the same getting older style that my poor 'ole George Perez has. Where his eyes don't see as well and he over inks everything. Of course I say that not knowing if he did ink his own stuff, but ...
 Cry Cry
I mean ... just look at the way he does faces now and look at Perez's recent stuff. They are almost the same
 Cry
Click HERE to see

Man, it just makes me sad. Both seeing my heroes not in their prime any longer and also realizing I am the same way
 Angry Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:26:09 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »

Looking at those pages I still like Old Grell over Oeming!  Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:26 PM »

Grin
Ewww, not for me. Eoming is a great artist. Grell was great during his time, but ... well ... I shouldn't say that. Its more sad for me than that  Undecided
Sad to see his style now.  Cry

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »

I saw this cover for issue 13 and thought, hey I like this art and I like Warlord.  I might need to check this out!!

Then I saw this interior art........

I've actuallay stuck with this title. It seems to be a catch-all for DC's teen heroes not appearing anywhere else. The stories make for easy, no brain reading but the art is hit or miss. I love Warlord and read him in the 80s, but this guy looks like he could be in Teen Titans Go.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 11:16:33 AM »

Series is ending in December with #50.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 11:26:56 AM »

I think that is #20.

Dang fingers!
 Grin Wink

For a second I thought "dang, that book has been out for a lot longer than I thought"
 Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »

I think that is #20.

Dang fingers!
 Grin Wink

For a second I thought "dang, that book has been out for a lot longer than I thought"
 Grin

Yep, those chubby fingers. Batman Beyond is ending with 50 and Young Justice with 20.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS