HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:47:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 16, 2019  (Read 12816 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 16, 2019, 03:43:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Ant-Man & the Wasp 3
Avengers 3
Avengers 4
Daredevil 604
Daredevil 605
Old Man Logan 42
Old Man Logan 43
X-Men Gold 30
X-Men Gold 31
Doctor Strange 3
Immortal Hulk 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 31
Manhunter 32
Manhunter 33
Manhunter 34

ComiXology
Justice League Dark 7
The Sixth Gun: Dust to Death TPB
Echo TPB Vol 5: Black Hole
Umbrella Academy Vol. 1: Apocalypse Suite
CRIMINAL, VOL. 1: COWARD

Both Umbrella Academy and the first Criminal are free to borrow on ComiXology.  That's perfect since I've wanted to re-acclimate myself with UA and re-read all of the Criminal books with the new series' out now.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »

This week's list includes the ones from last week*  that I didn't get to, but as always, some will go to the wayside
 Angry
Also, some much anticipated issue hitting this week that I almost MUST read first

Batman #62 *
Detective #995 *
Heroes in Crisis #4 *
The Green Lantern #3 *
Young Justice #1 *

Avengers #12 *
Conan #2
Invaders #1 - OH YEAH!!! When I heard this was coming back it made my day ... that day.  To quote Sally, "Yes, YES..."  Grin
Marvel Comics Presents #1 - Just a one-shot I want to read
Venom #10
Uncanny X-Men #10

Criminal #1 *
Die #2 *
Die!³ #5 *
Die!³ #6 *
Bayteeth #14 - For the pile!  Wink
Wlak Through Hell #7 - Oh the journey inside the "warehouse" continues!!!!  Smiley
Isola #6 - Man have I been waiting for this!!! I did hear some bad news that this title is going bi-monthly with its scheduling, so it is now going into the wait to read pile. That really sucks as this title is easily in my top 3 Image titles. But I guess that just means I will enjoy it more when I get to read like four or 50 issues in a row. Also, if you do try this title and like it, there is a free "prologue" type of book you can get from the LCS when you buy issue #6. It is a reprint of the first few pages that appeared in "Motor Crush", the wirters other comic at the time, before Isola got the ongoing title, and it tells us how the queen ... well ... no spoilers ... so it tells us how the queen ended up the way she did.
This book is like looking at a Pixar movie. So cool.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »

Isola #6 - Man have I been waiting for this!!! I did hear some bad news that this title is going bi-monthly with its scheduling, so it is now going into the wait to read pile. That really sucks as this title is easily in my top 3 Image titles. But I guess that just means I will enjoy it more when I get to read like four or 50 issues in a row. Also, if you do try this title and like it, there is a free "prologue" type of book you can get from the LCS when you buy issue #6. It is a reprint of the first few pages that appeared in "Motor Crush", the wirters other comic at the time, before Isola got the ongoing title, and it tells us how the queen ... well ... no spoilers ... so it tells us how the queen ended up the way she did.
This book is like looking at a Pixar movie. So cool.

ComiXology has the first ISOLA TPB which collect issues 1-5 on sale for $3.59.  Basically the price of one comic.  For that price I figured I could give it a try.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:15:56 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Ant-Man & the Wasp 3
Avengers 3
Avengers 4
Daredevil 604
Daredevil 605

Old Man Logan 42
Old Man Logan 43
X-Men Gold 30
X-Men Gold 31
Doctor Strange 3
Immortal Hulk 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 31
Manhunter 32
Manhunter 33
Manhunter 34

ComiXology
Justice League Dark 7

Got off to a head start this week!  Figured I'll need the time to get through those TPB's at the end of the list.  I'm still reading but wanted to take a break and talk a little about what I've read.

Ant-Man & the Wasp 2-3 - Hmmm.  I shouldn't like this but for some reason I do.  I think it's the interaction between Scott and Nadia more than the "adventure" itself.

Avengers 3-4 - Just ok.  Hopefully an art change will help.

Daredevil 604-605 - Glad this arc is over.  Probably liking it more than I should b/c I've been watching DD Season 3 on Netflix which is awesome.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 03:33:58 AM »

Jeff

I found DD 602 on to be such garbage. I realize that 605 is the last part, but I quit halfway through 604, and will not read it, or even the last part of 605. Ugh.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 03:57:10 AM »

Jeff

I found DD 602 on to be such garbage. I realize that 605 is the last part, but I quit halfway through 604, and will not read it, or even the last part of 605. Ugh.

Oh yeah - you can skip this arc.  Big blobby demon's that look like Mojo are not good bad guys for Daredevil.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:59:07 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Ant-Man & the Wasp 3
Avengers 3
Avengers 4
Daredevil 604
Daredevil 605
Old Man Logan 42
Old Man Logan 43

X-Men Gold 30
X-Men Gold 31
Doctor Strange 3
Immortal Hulk 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 31
Manhunter 32
Manhunter 33
Manhunter 34

ComiXology
Justice League Dark 7

Done for the night.  Only got a couple more finished.

Old Man Logan 42 - Conclusion to the bad Kraven storyline.  Not a must read arc.

Old Man Logan 43 - Start of a new Bullseye arc!  Much better.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »

OML arc with Kraven- I fuggin' hate Kraven. The best thing that character ever did was kill himself. He eats herbs and trains with animals. Super strength? Obvious enhanced relexes? Is he really all that good at all? Ugh, I don't care, and any iinstance of him just makes me want to drop the book. Every character opposite him is just written down to a weak level to make Kraven a threat.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:12 PM »

Every character opposite him is just written down to a weak level to make Kraven a threat.

As was the case with Logan here.  Just skip this arc and pick up at the new Bullseye arc. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »

Well I am off to an amazinlgy slow start, even for me, having not read one single comic yet  Angry, but ...

So I shouldn't bother reading any of the post #600 DD issues nor should I bother with Old Man Logan Kraven arc.

Okay, got it.
 Smiley

And Jeff, with Isola, $4 for the first trade is a good deal and you almost need to have that many issues to get a good feel for the book. Well, not really, the feel will come instantaneously, but to get a feel like it was worth it you need to read a couple issue at least.
I know I sound like I am bashing the book for being slow and decompressed, and while it is both of those things I am not bashing it for being that way as the book is still really good. I hope the trade comes with the first part of the story. What was included in Motor Crush, as it does add to the story to know what happened before, but it isn't really needed to enjoy the book, or at least it wasn't for me, but it would be nice to have.
I do love the book, but it is very much ... almost like a Warren Ellis book in terms of pacing. It is THAT slow, and it going bi-monthly really doesn't help, but if that is what the artist needs to do, I am willing to wait for the trades each time. I just don't think most people will be able to support the 6 issues a year floppy schedule and that will hurt the overall sales as well. I mean it is bad enough trying to remember regular action packed issues each month, much less a slower paced one every two.
But damn that art!!!
If this art was on Kirkman's Oblivion Song  Wink the world would be going ape shit for it!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »

So I shouldn't bother reading any of the post #600 DD issues nor should I bother with Old Man Logan Kraven arc.

Well I can only say you can skip 601-605.  The next arc could be awesome but I haven't read it yet.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:04 PM »

Well I can only say you can skip 601-605.  The next arc could be awesome but I haven't read it yet.

Cool
It will be forever anyway, but thanks
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 11:35:52 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Ant-Man & the Wasp 3
Avengers 3
Avengers 4
Daredevil 604
Daredevil 605
Old Man Logan 42
Old Man Logan 43
X-Men Gold 30
X-Men Gold 31
Doctor Strange 3
Immortal Hulk 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 31
Manhunter 32
Manhunter 33
Manhunter 34

ComiXology
Justice League Dark 7

X-Men Gold 30 - Wedding issue.  So that was a weird twist.
X-Men Gold 31 - The aftermath of 30.  I had only planned on reading the Wedding Issue and this aftermath but after reading issue 31, I want to see how this ends.  Looks like I'm on X-Men Gold for a little bit.

Doctor Strange 3 - Another good issue.  A bit surprised Strange did...what he did (Don't want to spoil).  Me thinks that will come back to haunt him later.

Immortal Hulk 2 - This book is so much fun.  Love the wandering Banner like the old TV show.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:18:58 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Ant-Man & the Wasp 3
Avengers 3
Avengers 4
Daredevil 604
Daredevil 605
Old Man Logan 42
Old Man Logan 43
X-Men Gold 30
X-Men Gold 31
Doctor Strange 3
Immortal Hulk 2

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 31
Manhunter 32
Manhunter 33

Manhunter 34

ComiXology
Justice League Dark 7

Manhunter 31-33 - Now this arc is fun.  Blue Beetle, Birds of Prey, and Suicide Squad?!?  Awesome.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »

Doctor Strange 3 - Another good issue.  A bit surprised Strange did...what he did (Don't want to spoil).  Me thinks that will come back to haunt him later.

Not to push a spoiler on you, but ...  Grin

Immortal Hulk 2 - This book is so much fun.  Love the wandering Banner like the old TV show.

I got the same thing !!
(But that aspect changes, wildly, in a bit)
 Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS