HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:10:17 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 2, 2019! First Comic Book Day of 2019!  (Read 8500 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 01, 2019, 08:36:48 PM »

Ready for the New Year!!

ComiXology
Heroes in Crisis 4
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 1
Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 3
The Sixth Gun TPB Vol 8 Hell and High Water (Collects issues 42-47)
Echo TPB Vol 4 Collider (Collects issues 16-20)
A Walk Through Hell TPB Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5)

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Doctor Strange 2
Daredevil 604
Cable 158
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 02:29:54 PM »

I got around to reading the Infinity Countdown books up to... Issue 4? I think? You're right Perry, it's just a GOTG arc with bigger implications... And it's not even that good. Why are the gems/stones a different color *cough movie reasons cough* ah, we mean, it's a different universe: they've moved addresses!  Roll Eyes

Spectacular Spider-man 306,I think. I did Zdarsky's stuff, however
the possible actual inclusion of the real long lost sister just makes me gag. How simplistic and tropey.

Amazing Spider-man 801-yes, now it's Scott's last issue. Spidey always saves Uncle Ken. Good message. Longest run of a writer on Spider-man ever... but that doesn't mean it's the greatest. My message here.

Marvel 2 in 1 #7; still cool here, love this version of Doom working with Ben. Waiting for Perry's other shoe to drop next issue I guess! Shocked Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:34:56 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »

And since Unlimited had been loading it up over the last 3 weeks, I intend to fully read all of Busiek's to Nieciza's Thunderbolts straight through. I read through the first 11, then lost the book due to finances, then came back around in 35, was REAL lost, but hardcore followed everything after 55. So big, twist, weird, convoluted, but really dug into the characters themselves.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »

And since Unlimited had been loading it up over the last 3 weeks, I intend to fully read all of Busiek's to Nieciza's Thunderbolts straight through. I read through the first 11, then lost the book due to finances, then came back around in 35, was REAL lost, but hardcore followed everything after 55. So big, twist, weird, convoluted, but really dug into the characters themselves.

That was my favorite time for Thunderbolts.  I was a fan for awhile and always wanted them to come back.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:11:58 AM »

Me too Jeff. Every different knock off iteration of the team just makes me cranky.

That said;

Miracle Man 11 & 12: This will take some rereading. I need to know if I just wasted my time...

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »

Miracle Man 11 & 12: This will take some rereading. I need to know if I just wasted my time...

Yes, it will take some reading, and some thought, but don't look for "an answer" and you will not fell like you wasted your time. I still loved it even though I am unsure what it was trying to make me see.

That was my favorite time for Thunderbolts.  I was a fan for awhile and always wanted them to come back.

Ya know, I have never read much of THunderbolts!!!!!

See? There have been so many darn titles I need to read. I just need to stop reading all these new comics and read the old for awhile. I know I say that all the time, but jeez, I really do just need to do that. Some day I will!!
 Undecided
I am so happy I got through Manhunter, even though that third arc (the Wonder Woman one or the one after that ... hahaha, been too long already) was less than fun for me, I still got through it and I was glad to have done so. But man, I have stuff like East of West, Thunderbolts, Master of Kung-Fu, LoSH, etc ... to read and I keep pushing them all off and spending time on "the next big thing"
I just need to stop it!!!
HELP!!!
 Cheesy

Well, I will be stopping three titles for sure (at least until the War of the Realms kicks in!! .. see? Here I go again!!!!  Angry) -

Asgardians of the Galaxy #1 - Re-read
Asgardians of the Galaxy #2
Asgardians of the Galaxy #3
- Yeah, this was just okay. Going on the Marvel Universe App from now on.
Black Order #1
Black Order #2
- Ugh, I can't do it. I can't no more. I thought the humor was a twist I could take, but no, this ... no
Punisher #3
Punisher #4
Punisher #5
- I like Rosenburg, a lot, but the Punisher is just the Punisher and too much Punisher is just not that great
Sentry #1 - Re-read
Sentry #2
Sentry #3
Sentry #4
Sentry #5
- A great mini ... that I thought was a series ... that I think was until Jeff Lemire said no more? Who knows? Would have loved to see where he took this though. It ended ... but it didn't really end. Will come back for more if it happens. I don't think it is though.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »

Yeah - off to a slooooow start but I'm sure I can make it up over the weekend.

ComiXology
Heroes in Crisis 4
Bloodshot Rising Spirit 1
Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 3

The Sixth Gun TPB Vol 8 Hell and High Water (Collects issues 42-47)
Echo TPB Vol 4 Collider (Collects issues 16-20)
A Walk Through Hell TPB Vol 1 (Collects issues 1-5)

Marvel Unlimited
Venom 1
Venom 2
Doctor Strange 2
Daredevil 604
Cable 158
Avengers 3
Ant-Man & the Wasp 2
Thor 2
Sentry 1
Old Man Hawkeye 6
Multiple Man 1
Marvel Two in One 7

DC Universe[/u]
Manhunter 25
Manhunter 26
Manhunter 27
Manhunter 28
Manhunter 29
Manhunter 30

Heroes in Crisis 4 - Nothing new here really.  The story movement from this issue could probably have been put on two pages in issue 3 or 5.

Bloodshot Rising Spirit 1 - Bloodshot origin story.  I like the start.

Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 3 - Man I wish I could remember the details of the Umbrella Academy.  I may need to go back and re-read the original.  This story is good and this issue helped bring things together.  Looking forward to the next issue.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:39:04 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 04:05:45 AM »

Perry, sounds like a great problem!

Concerning Mr Miracle, I have to feel that there is something it is telling me. Otherwise, I feel like I'm being told "it's high art, and if you don't get it, that just means you're a Neanderthal plebian."

Upon a reread, the focus will be on when all the glitches started, what the glitches referred to or spoke of, incongruence situations of Earth and 4th world along with the over story narration.

It must mean something. If not, then it means nothing, and it means it's a waste to me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »

But it also means that I love to discuss why or why not it means anything too. Grin Cheesy Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »

Concerning Mr Miracle, I have to feel that there is something it is telling me. Otherwise, I feel like I'm being told "it's high art, and if you don't get it, that just means you're a Neanderthal plebian."

Well, no-one is going to call you that as ... I think ... 99% of all the readers are just guessing or assuming what was being told anyway.  Grin
And I understand what you mean, but I don't feel as though the title was like that, a read that tells us nothing. I just think it is a read that tells us a part of the whole. At least that is how it hit for me. I came out with the understanding (or the hope at least) that we will learn soon what this was all about, but if we don't there is enough room for our own interpretation.

And yes, I also hate when we are left that way, with it being left to us to decide what the writer/director was trying to say (just tell us the damn story, man!!), but for some reason I didn't feel the usual anger with this one. I think the PTSD issue is enough at the forefront that the endings ambiguity is relatively fine. For me. Is he dead? Is he in Hell? Is it all in his mind?

I think the prison he can't escape is his mind, but it could be something else. So yeah, I wouldn't shake my head if you felt otherwise, felt ripped off. I get it.
 Cool 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 02:40:42 PM »

See, discussion? This is great!!

I think the greatest negative right now is that it took over a year and more to read the entirety of the story. So much was lost to memory and forgetfulness. There was no recap; heck, what would you write? Cheesy

Take Inception, the movie. I have a friend who hates movies like this to high heaven. Interpretive bull sh**nonsense he says. Pretend to be an 'artiste' with the speculative ending. For me, I was greatly intrigued wondering if what we watched was actually the 'way'events actually occurred.

I'm looking to find that insight upon reread.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 04:20:12 PM »

I think the greatest negative right now is that it took over a year and more to read the entirety of the story. So much was lost to memory and forgetfulness. There was no recap; heck, what would you write?

AMEN!! I still wonder why DC does not have recaps. It just boggles my mind. I also think this is further evidence that the collected format is so much easier for us readers, even though we do, sadly, lose the "cliffhanger" aspect of some stories.

I'm looking to find that insight upon reread.

Well I hope you will tell us all so we know
 Grin Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 09:26:48 PM »

Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion 3 - Man I wish I could remember the details of the Umbrella Academy.  I may need to go back and re-read the original. 

You should. I am going to try and find the trade to read and have it done by Feb 15th when the new show hits Netflix. Heck, maybe even get through the second story, "Umbrella Academy: Dallas" trade as well ... if I can find it. I may pay for the first Umbrella Academy, but I doubt I will for the second one, as I doubt that will be touched on in the new show this soon ... but who knows ...?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »

Knocked out a couple more over my week-end of doing little more than watching Playoff Football (Speaking of which, congrats Jeff. I love that there is a possibility, a slight one, but one nonetheless, of a Cowboys/Iggles NFC Championship Game!!!  Cool)
Have to start with a comic I have been excited for since I first heard it was coming back in June of last year ...

Conan #1 - Sure I talk about not adding more titles, but no chance this was getting by me. Great Conan story
Defenders Best Defense #1 - Just skip this, guys. I read this two times and still it's ... not enjoyable  Undecided
Doctor Strange #9 - Book continues to get better, although the ending kinda has me worried.
Man Without Fear #1 - Reading this 5 issue mini without being caught up on DD (yet another title). I like this
Marvel Knights 20th #4 - an okay issue where we find out why no-one remembers who they truly are.
West Coast Avengers #5
West Coast Avengers #6
- read this at the LCS. It was funny, but I can't remember how it ended  Undecided Bad sign?
Winter Soldier #2 - Another LCS read and wow, this title impresses me greatly. The art is great, Noto like.
Infinity Wars #5
Infinity Wars #6
Infinity Wars Fallen Guardian #1
Infinity Wars Infinity #1
- Yeah, how about the title of that last one, huh? Not going to sugar coat this. What started out as a pretty cool, yet what should have been a regular Guardians of the Galaxy arc  Roll Eyes, has spiraled into a convoluted and craptastic chronicle of contrived circumstances coming to completion. Events over the last few issues (and prior) leave me doing nothing but rolling my eyes, wishing this would have ended about 8 issues ago and wondering what this will all mean for Cosmic Marvel going forward. Sure, there is one thing coming out of this that I like (or at should say hope to like in the future), but for the most part ... yeah ... I am not happy about most of the outcome of this story. It was bad enough when we learned who a certain new character turned out to be, but the handling of that at the end? Are you ... I mean ... what?? Oh and the last page of issue ... Cheesy (oh jeeeez) "infinity #1" ... Oh dear lord!!!! Even still, for as interested and hopeful that I was with the first issues of Infinity Countdown, all I can say to this entire thing is BLAH, Oh what could have been.

William Gibson's Alien 3 (script) #2 - The bad thing about taking movie scripts and putting into comic form is sometimes the timing of the page and the pacing of the panels becomes lost with the amount of dialog. That is what happened here. Talking heads would have been more effective at times as it is one of the better ways to handle loads of dialog, for the most part, but while there was that, there was also just too much dialog to keep doing that very thing. The issue just seemed bogged down on itself
 Cry

Asgardians of the Galaxy #1
Asgardians of the Galaxy #2
Asgardians of the Galaxy #3

Black Order #1
Black Order #2

Punisher #3
Punisher #4
Punisher #5

Sentry #1
Sentry #2
Sentry #3
Sentry #4
Sentry #5

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 04:40:26 PM »

Damnit! Marvel screwing up my'Cosmic Bible'of how the gems should be colored, who is important, how it should go: argh! Stupid Infinity let down!
And I was already planning on passing on Defenders. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS