HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:20:19 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Captain Marvel  (Read 12885 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »

i'm wondering....

if somehow Hank Pym's technology has something to do with the reality stone?

Oh I hope not!! We humans can't do anything now?
 Cheesy Cheesy Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »

Just watching more video reviews of this movie and it made me pop back in to compare my thoughts. Man, sorry Jedi. I really come across as bashing almost every one of your thoughts. That was not what I was going for, but it damn sure came out that way. Didn't mean to make it sound like that. I have different opinions on some things but I could have said it better than I did.

My bad.
 Undecided

But if anyone is interested, HERE and HERE are a couple sites I follow (for almost all Comic, Television and Movie stuff, and they have some great and some not so great thoughts on the movie.
 Smiley
And to save time in-case you guys have seen them, they are NewRockstars and WhatCulture. Two very good YouTube sites.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »

I will actually disagree with some thoughts, and just expand upon my own.

I will fully agree that it’s not an amazing movie; it’s good, but nothing I can’t wait to see a second or third time. The 90s nostalgia/kitsch faded fast, and I think that’s a good thing. I think another reason it felt so..average, yeah, that’s a fair approximation-is that this movie was not funny, goofy, nor silly (that ranges from Iron Man to Ant-man to Guardians & Thor Ragnarok). Carol is not a funny person. She’s even more military than Captain America (movies-wise), she didn’t join a military with high hopes and starry-eyed patriotism, ala a kid from the Bronx in WWII. She simply serves. She’s now on a backwater planet that can’t possibly understand her, or what’s going on. Also, she’s confused as all shit about remembering things she shouldn’t and not understanding why or what it’s showing her. So, she gets to be a bit reserved, which pulls the viewer away from her. Brie got to show some more of that range just as she discovered and heard the black box recording, a little bit more of the familial feelings to Maria and Monica, but then that’s about it until she’s simply a hero later.

I don’t, however, feel like it was a movie made for only girls. I’ll just say it like that. I’ve done a lot to avoid any ‘articles’ or other stupid shit about feminism ruining Marvel movies. Brie Larson hates men, is a femi-Nazi, etc etc. I did go in with a chip on my shoulder wondering about the whole ‘will this just a woman empowerment movie over man-splaining white assholes’. I looked for it. I really didn’t feel that vibe at all. I was more internally upset about the possibility of the 10 years of the MCU hinging on one character who just appeared out of the blue to be the macguffin winner against Thanos in A:Endgame. That may happen still, a bit, but I think it’ll be handled better than my heated imagination currently sees it. Now, her meta line about ‘I don’t have anything to prove to you’ ?-definitely meta, and it felt as much about Carol throwing down at Yon, as it did about a female lead superhero telling the world to shut up about how she should be presented. Also, I’ll have to recheck Jeff’s thoughts, since he’s the one I remember with a young daughter, but even I found a good portion of the middle third boring, so there’s no way that is something to keep any child, boy or girl, ready and waiting!

The flerkin bothered me as the macguffin of the film that REALLY took me out of my viewing experience. It was just...stupid, I’m going to say stupid. It was the deux ex machina to get Fury out of trouble, and move pieces around the board for joke set ups. Didn’t care for it, nor did I care for that being the reason he lost his eye and got scarred.

I did like that once Benning said my name was Mar Vell, I just immediately said ‘and Jude is Yon Rogg. got it, I know how Carol got her powers as well. Very cool turn of the events in the actual comic representation of that event.

Jarring when she was gleefully taking out Kree ships? I say...yes...yes I do agree on that. I mean, she knows far more about the Kree Star force than us, and heck, she probably recognizes an Accuser ship ready to bombard a planet to ashes, so, war is war. But by that point, there was a lot of events occuring to really make sure the movie matched the rest of the MCU that I just found boring. I found it boring in the end of Rogue One as well, too.

Where’s my giant head Supreme Intellegence!! Just AI? Oh poo. Wink

I felt the Coulson revering Fury thing was...forced. Not comfortable? Poor. Not sure. Just didn’t think it tracked in the movie to match how it worked in Avengers.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 06:09:18 PM »

I don’t, however, feel like it was a movie made for only girls.

Not saying that is for what I said earlier, but if so (or if not  Cheesy) I want to qualify my statement.
I don't mean the movie is "just for" anyone/group/object/nationality/gender/age/etc... But I do mean, and firmly 100% believe, that this movie is for the empowering of females and thus "made for them". There is nothing wrong with that, but this movie isn't made us guys and I don't see how that is an issue or even up for debate.  It is still very much a movie that any guy can and should enjoy, as did I, for the most part  Undecided, but much like Panther was made to showcase that Black characters can do very well and have a huge following, this movie was the same, but for women and ladies of the younger age bracket.

Now I am not saying that anyone said "okay we need to make this movie for women" but the effort and outcome are the same as that.

There is no way in hell Marvel was going to allow a Black Widow movie to be their "Wonder Woman". This movie had to be that. Had to show that just because a guy thinks women are "prettier when they smile" doesn't mean that they get to dictate when they do smile.

But to say that this movie was not made "for women", is just like saying Panther wasn't made for people of color. Both are true, both were needed and both are decades too late.

Now maybe I feel that this movie was made for women because I am a son of a female single parent and a father to two amazing daughters and I see how damn strong they are and enjoy the fact that there is yet another movie for them to have in their back pocket to look towards with pride or maybe I am just seeing things that aren't there, but either way, that is how I feel about it. Yeah, that just my onion.
 Smiley

Now I as a male do have one issue with the movie, and I can only assume it is my age that leads me here. However, when Fury calls Marla Rambeau a "young lady" a couple times, she gets pissed and says "If you call me young lady one more time I am going to ...." Or something like that. I just have to ask, only so I don't make the same mistake, because I really thought that was a term of ... not respect, but a nicety? A way to express your admiration to a ... young lady? What is wrong there that this 50+ year old guy needs to know?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »

Another thing I didn't like ...

I wish they would have saved that one scene they show in the trailers, the one Jeff mentions at the very first post, where she is all glowy, for the movie and NOT have shown it in the trailer. Just like I was mad about the Avengers leaping into frame in the woods part of their trailer, save those shots for the movie.

That scene should have sent chills but I had seen it so many times it lost all impact for me. Well, not all impact, but a good portion.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 11:06:33 PM »

Let me start by saying that I really did enjoy this movie.  I went to see it with Hannah, my eleven year old daughter.  Well, she'll be 12 on Friday...but NO!  She will always be this age!  She's not allowed to grow up anymore!!!

Sorry, went off on a tangent there.

So, let me start by saying that I really did enjoy this movie.  Hannah like it to but the first words out of her mouth "It wasn't as good as Aquaman."  (Her new favorite movie.  And I think we all know why.  Damn Momoa and his biceps.  Angry )

There's plenty here, like others have said, that I didn't care for and I'll start with those.

I didn't mind the cat being the cause of Fury losing his eye.  That was kind of funny.  But it should have happened when he first started loving on the cat, not the third time.  Made Fury look too goofy.  And as for the cat -
 making  it a weird tentacle alien was too much.  It really took me out of the movie.  I hated the Skrulls being good guys.  They are one of the best villain races in the MU and a Secret Invasion type story would have been great.  Finally, Carol's "off handed" comment about a "space wall" hurting the Skrull immigrants/refugees pissed me off.  Hollywood just can't stop preaching their politics at people.  It was one line and did nothing for the characters or movie - just lip service for current politics.

Fortunately, I can ignore the last in that list of things I hated enough to still enjoy the movie.  Things I did like:

Coulson!!  Loved seeing him and Fury together again.  I'm not a fan of the de-aging software they use and this did not help my thoughts on that.  But then again, who cares.  Coulson!!!  That was fun.  Unlike others, I like Carol's cockiness.  Kind of a female Tom Cruise from Top Gun?  I liked that her friend's call sign was Photon.  As we comic fans know what that means.  Alta Vista.  Ha!!  Mar-Vell - wish they could have used a guy that looks like him in the comics but I really didn't mind it was Annette Benning.  I get it - works with the story.  The Kree villains were a lot of fun to watch.  And I liked how the story started with her in the Kree army with no memory.  Gave us some up front action and we discovered her origin as she did.

There is more that I like but I can't think right now b/c I just saw on the news that the Cowboys have traded Cole Beasley to Buffalo.  WTF???!!!!  I am sooooo angry!!!!!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 01:06:03 AM »

Another thing I didn't like ...

I wish they would have saved that one scene they show in the trailers, the one Jeff mentions at the very first post, where she is all glowy, for the movie and NOT have shown it in the trailer. Just like I was mad about the Avengers leaping into frame in the woods part of their trailer, save those shots for the movie.

That scene should have sent chills but I had seen it so many times it lost all impact for me. Well, not all impact, but a good portion.

RIGHT?!

Just like that dick Zach Snyder, then later tv trailers, all showing a grand Momoa in the pure Aquaman essence suit. Spoiled it, you people! I would rather have seen Carol in near full ascendant Binary mode in theaters.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 01:09:43 AM »

Let me start by saying that I really did enjoy this movie.  I went to see it with Hannah, my eleven year old daughter.  Well, she'll be 12 on Friday...but NO!  She will always be this age!  She's not allowed to grow up anymore!!!

Hey! You know what means?!

We've been posting together at the Realm one way or another longer than you've had your full family. Cheesy

I didn't mind the cat being the cause of Fury losing his eye.  That was kind of funny.  But it should have happened when he first started loving on the cat, not the third time.  Made Fury look too goofy.  And as for the cat -
 making  it a weird tentacle alien was too much.  It really took me out of the movie.  I hated the Skrulls being good guys.  They are one of the best villain races in the MU and a Secret Invasion type story would have been great.  Finally, Carol's "off handed" comment about a "space wall" hurting the Skrull immigrants/refugees pissed me off.  Hollywood just can't stop preaching their politics at people.  It was one line and did nothing for the characters or movie - just lip service for current politics.

Completely missed that line. Thankfully, then!

There is more that I like but I can't think right now b/c I just saw on the news that the Cowboys have traded Cole Beasley to Buffalo.  WTF???!!!!  I am sooooo angry!!!!!!

It is a WEIRD off-season for football. Guys demanding trades, leaving teams...and they get their wants and desires; new teams, new money! QBs will now be small, scatty guys who don't necessarily have big arms, but jsut 'make plays'

(maybe Baker will buck the trend, but 'Johnny Football' qbs will not replace the traditional QB. They can't last. They won't last.)

THERE IS MONEY BEING THROWN AROUND AND AWAY LEFT AND RIGHT

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 01:19:45 AM »

Three posts in a row! Catch'em while I'm hot!!

Now maybe I feel that this movie was made for women because I am a son of a female single parent and a father to two amazing daughters and I see how damn strong they are and enjoy the fact that there is yet another movie for them to have in their back pocket to look towards with pride or maybe I am just seeing things that aren't there, but either way, that is how I feel about it. Yeah, that just my onion.
 Smiley

Perry, I totally respect you and your history. I would never do anything that would try to make you change your onion in the slightest.  Cool

Now I as a male do have one issue with the movie, and I can only assume it is my age that leads me here. However, when Fury calls Marla Rambeau a "young lady" a couple times, she gets pissed and says "If you call me young lady one more time I am going to ...." Or something like that. I just have to ask, only so I don't make the same mistake, because I really thought that was a term of ... not respect, but a nicety? A way to express your admiration to a ... young lady? What is wrong there that this 50+ year old guy needs to know?

Thematically, I don't think Fury is that much older than Maria in this movie. To be the kind of level pilots they were, I read trivia that stated they would have had to be at least about 28 years old. Skip ahead 7 years, she's 35 now. That's 1995. in 2015 alone, that would make Maria 55. Is Fury 55, or older, than that in 2015 MCU time? If so, who's he to call her young lady?

I think more than anything. 'young lady', when used to one who is not a child anymore, is terribly placating and dismissive. Like Maria isn't mature enough to be in this conversation, or have a say in what's going on. From a man who is her senior by maybe 7 years? Dick move!

I think with a single mother of a 11 year old, former fighter and test pilot, and some kind of advanced degree to know that physics/trajectory stuff off the top of her head, ma'am would be have most respectful, especially to a woman in her own home.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »

I hated the Skrulls being good guys.  They are one of the best villain races in the MU and a Secret Invasion type story would have been great. 

But I don't think that having one group of Skrulls be "good" effects Secret Invasion. There can still be bad Skrulls. I can't Imagine Marvel letting the SI story-line die just in the pages of geekdom. It will be on the screen, somehow or another.
I think it worked very well to have them be the good guys in THIS movie.

Finally, Carol's "off handed" comment about a "space wall" hurting the Skrull immigrants/refugees pissed me off.  Hollywood just can't stop preaching their politics at people.  It was one line and did nothing for the characters or movie - just lip service for current politics.

I understand what you mean, sure, but that kinda stuff has always been in movies. Remember Superman Quest for Peace? That was nothing but a political statement. Heck, I bet if you looked, you could find some in almost every movie, especially in the 80's when everyone was on Reagan's jock. But I hear ya and I agree.
 Tongue
 And what about all the Christ references in movies? Why do I have to hear about all that?
 Grin
 Grin
 Cheesy
Just kidding. Just kidding
 Grin
 Grin Wink

Perry, I totally respect you and your history. I would never do anything that would try to make you change your onion in the slightest.  Cool

No, no, I know buddy, thanks. And just like I hope Jeff knows, after my last joke, I have nothing but respect for all you guys as well. It's all good. We are suppose to have differences of opinions or thoughts.
 Smiley

And as for the young lady thing ... I didn't even think of the age factor. I totally get the age difference being a point of contention with Marla when it came to Fury. Thanks, that makes sense. So it is still cool for me to say it to women 30 years my junior.
 Grin
I just didn't want to offend anyone like Fury did.
You cleared it up for me.
 Cool

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 06:37:49 PM »

Did you not see the onion joke Perry? Wink

You had a typo I also took advantage of!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »

Did you not see the onion joke Perry? Wink

You had a typo I also took advantage of!

A- No, I did not see it  Cheesy

B - It is not a typo. Someone here, can't remember who it was now ... one of the big two I believe ... used to say that, and since they are now gone, I stole it and use it all the time.
 Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »

Spoilers for this movie below, if there is anyone here that has yet to see it,

So lots of thinking on the inter webs of how Marvel is going to work in the Skrulls as the baddie after what happened in Capt Marvel, but one thing we do know, there is a missing Skrull!

Four Skrulls landed, and we are shown what happened to three of them, so where is the fourth? And is he the one that becomes responsible for the Invasion? One of many that are already here? Is he just a cow in a pasture now, having met Reed Richards off screen? Is he Kr'lt and we will see him again when Marvel puts the FF on the list of MU movies?

Who knows?

But I like THIS channel's opinion on who that Skrull could be as they pose the question -
What if that Skrull is already deep in the MU and is ______ ?
This one is about 14 minutes, but really good. Really doubtful, but makes ya think  Wink

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 02:50:35 PM »

Got the DVD as a Father's Day gift and LOVED it!
Fun, fast paced and filled in a few holes in the MCU.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS