HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:32:53 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 24, 2018  (Read 9049 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 12:04:32 AM »

You've read the Joe Casey Wildcats volume, right?

That's 25 issues of some of the best damn comics I've ever read. Dustin Nyguyen art nearly the whole way.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 12:14:11 AM »

What I've briefly read:

Deathstroke (vs Batman) issues 34, 35? Damn, Priest is too damned amazing.

Justice League 5 (not 6 I believe) This is the Luthor issue explaining how he wants to put people together to find doom. Not how he found doom, but how he is working to working towards finding doom.  Roll Eyes

Hawkman 3; I love Hawkman. I dig Hitch's art here. I have trust placed in Venditti from Hal Jordan & GLC. (But next issue, that better be an instance from the past, since there was a whole SERIES about the Death of this Hawkman...and he died! Like, in the last 12 months too!!

I did some Iron Fist on MU (last issue in K'un L'un, gonna miss Mike Perkins on art!!), um...what else...I can't even remember. No Hulk, Spider, PAD, Iron anything, Cap anything...I think an Infinity book starting something with Adam Warlock (and as a hard core Infinity/Thanos/Adam Warlock guy, I'm extremely anal and pissy about them being stones now and just matching colors to match movies. Irritates the 'internet faceless fanboy living in parents' basement' in me.)
No Punisher, Oh wait!
Daredevil 599 I think. A truly nothing issue. No appearance of the serial killer, Kingpin talking a bunch, Matt listening a lot, and nothing worth discussing beyond that.
That's all I can think of!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »

You've read the Joe Casey Wildcats volume, right?

That's 25 issues of some of the best damn comics I've ever read. Dustin Nyguyen art nearly the whole way.

Yeah, long time ago now, but I remember the "Battery" aspect being a focal point, not much else. Another reason I am trying to get through these. At least they are better than Stormwatch, which I still want to get through, at least the issues I have that is. No way am I buying any digital copies of early Stormwatch to read them all. Wildcats? Maybe ... MAYBE, but not early Stormwatch. If they are not in those few boxes of 90's stuff I didn't bother trying to sell on Ebay way back when, I will not be reading them. Hell, as it is I think I may just "skim" through the issues to try and get the stuff I want.
 Grin

And as for the current Justice League ...  "Roll Eyes" is right. I just read issue #10 last night, a precursor, or start actually, of this new Drowned Earth X-Over DC is starting and I think I was right in my original decision to stop reading that title after issue 7 or 8. Why did I read issues 9 and 10? Who knows? Certainly not this guy
 Roll Eyes

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 02:27:39 AM »

ComiXology
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 4
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 5
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 1
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 2
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 3
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 4
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 5
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 6
Echo Vol 1: Moon Lake TPB (Collecting Echo 1-5)
Wonder Woman 57
Action Comics 1004
The Terrifics 9
The Sixth Gun TPB Vol 6: Ghost Dance

Marvel Unlimited
Daredevil 601
Cable 156
Infinity Countdown 2
Avengers 689

Iron Fist 80
Tales of Suspense 104

Daredevil 601 - Mayor Matt Murdock.  I love it.

Cable 156 - Now this is interesting.  A jump back to my favorite time in Cable's story.  Back when he and Hope were on the run from Bishop.  Excellent.

Infinity Countdown 2 - This really just seems like the continuation of Guardians of the Galaxy.  Not bad so far but I hate that they think Groot has to to talk normally now.  Just saying I am Groot all the time is what makes him who he is.  Not happy about that.

Avengers 689 - Glad this is coming to an end if only because I want to see how the team looks coming out of this story.  Only one issue left....

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »

Infinity Countdown 2 - This really just seems like the continuation of Guardians of the Galaxy. 

It is exactly that. But when Duggan came to Marvel with the plot, the higher-ups in their ongoing, non-stop attempt to wring each and every penny out of comic buyers pockets decided that the story was big enough to kill the GotG title, make this an "event" title, and reap the rewards of their efforts.
 Undecided

But yes, it is just and only the continuation of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Got a few more Manhunter issues in and Jeff, I'm tellin' ya, you have to try this series.  So damn good.
Personally, I just hope I can get a few more in before my month is up at DCU, I can't remember when I signed up right now, but I think it was the 10th of October, so I have a few more days ... I think, but that date seems off now that I see it in print.
 Undecided

Stormwatch #3
Stormwatch #4
Stormwatch #0
- Okay, I didn't actually take the time to "read" these issues (I can't), but I scanned and got some info  Undecided
X-O Manowar #20 - Wasn't sure if I needed a refresher as I forgot or if this was a new character, but either way it worked out in the end. Good issue.

Books of Magic #1 - The final Neil Gaiman Universe book drops. Wipes out most all of Tim Hunter's history  Cheesy
Justice League #10 - I like Snyder's writing, normally, but this title and the mini prior has just failed to grab me.
Manhunter #11
Manhunter #12
Manhunter #13
Manhunter #14
Manhunter #15
- Such a good book. One of the few titles that had to work around the ole Omac event that was heavy in DC at the time and actually made it work (I say that having no idea if other titles were also successful incorporating that event  Cheesy) I also love how we (or at least "I") didn't get the origin of this character until issue ... 15? Loved it!! I also, after reading about this Manhunter, wanted to go back and read more about the Manhunters but the title did a great job of catching me up on, at the very least, the ones I had questions about. I still want to read/learn more about them, I know the gist, but not full knowledge, but yeah, this title worked them in pretty well.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 12:24:44 AM »

Infinity Countdown 2 - This really just seems like the continuation of Guardians of the Galaxy. 

It is exactly that. But when Duggan came to Marvel with the plot, the higher-ups in their ongoing, non-stop attempt to wring each and every penny out of comic buyers pockets decided that the story was big enough to kill the GotG title, make this an "event" title, and reap the rewards of their efforts.
 Undecided

Well that's just ridiculous.  Fortunately, I was reading GotG anyway so I'll just pretend I'm finishing that up.

Got a few more Manhunter issues in and Jeff, I'm tellin' ya, you have to try this series.  So damn good.
Personally, I just hope I can get a few more in before my month is up at DCU, I can't remember when I signed up right now, but I think it was the 10th of October, so I have a few more days ... I think, but that date seems off now that I see it in print.
 Undecided

Ok, I'll bite.  Might as well get some value out of DC Universe, right?   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »

ComiXology
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 4
Star Trek The Next Generation: Through the Mirror 5
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 1
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 2
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 3
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 4
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 5
Battlestar Galactica vs. Battlestar Galactica 6
Echo Vol 1: Moon Lake TPB (Collecting Echo 1-5)
Wonder Woman 57
Action Comics 1004
The Terrifics 9
The Sixth Gun TPB Vol 6: Ghost Dance

Marvel Unlimited
Daredevil 601
Cable 156
Infinity Countdown 2
Avengers 689
Iron Fist 80
Tales of Suspense 104

Done!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »

Undecided

Well that's just ridiculous.  Fortunately, I was reading GotG anyway so I'll just pretend I'm finishing that up.

I know. Makes no sense, other than for the money grabbing aspect, I get that I suppose. It is all about money, sadly, and you always get that #1 pull rush, sadly again, but at least they didn't restart the just restarted GotG to a new beginning. I think, as much as I hate this "Infinity" thing, that restarting would have pissed me off more.

Undecided

Ok, I'll bite.  Might as well get some value out of DC Universe, right?   Grin

Amen!!!  Grin But ya know, as much as I bashed the Titans for reasons that I have said, I just saw the preview image of Titans episode #4 and damn ... I hope my canceled subscription lasts at least until Saturday (Titans eps are released on Friday night) so I can see what they do with the Doom Patrol!!!! Cliff looks pretty ... neat(?)
Yeah, kinda want to see that.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS