HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:17:00 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL 2018  (Read 24668 times)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« on: September 06, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »

Is everyone ready for some Football
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »

Yup

Even without my top running back
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:52:05 PM »

So what do you do if your kicker is the #2 most accurate kicker in NFL history?  If your the Dallas Cowboys, you cut him.    Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 01:45:00 AM »

No kidding Jeff, wtf was that? I remember back, what, 11 years ago when they had a new kicker every 4 games after Chris Boniol was gone? What a joke!

That said, it's awesome that Aaron Rodgers is back!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »

Aaron Rodgers!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »

PERRY; those Steelers, man, WTF?!

JEFF; is Dak really any good? I question that from up North, but what's your opinion?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:17:46 PM »

PERRY; those Steelers, man, WTF?!

That awesome coaching!! Gotta love Tomlin. Oh Wait, no I don't.
I know it isn't all his fault, but he really just isn't a great game day coach. Never has been. Never gets the team set to play, just look at the history of HIS Steelers. Always a slow start. Each and every year we start slow, even if we squeak by and win, at the start of the year we suck.

Doesn't help that while our O Line is stacked with 1st and 2nd round talent that has produced good to decent quality, our front 7, also 1st and 2nd round filled for the most part, has NO true game changers. Now I like a lot of them, Watt, Willaims, Hargrove, Hayward ... not so much Bud Dupree, but we have no stand outs like we use to have. We don't have our Greg Lyods, Kevin Greenes, Joey Porters, or going way back, our Lamberts and Hams. Just no D LB or Lineman that says "Oh yeah, THAT is a Steeler Defense Guy.
 Angry

We score 30+ points against KC, but again, Started too late and again, no D guy.
 Angry
(Cleveland game is always tough for us it seems, for some reason. Especially in the rain)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »

JEFF; is Dak really any good? I question that from up North, but what's your opinion?

This season will be the true test with no Dez (which I’m ok with) and no Jason Witten (whom I miss).

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 02:03:54 AM »

Dak; ugh, not good at all. Not even once above 200 yards passing this season? Like watching awful Eli years

Big Ben-that was a total flop! :p

QB hit rule; go to hell NFL; that crap is going to make me stop watching. You have moved into the realm that the qb is not a football player, and cannot be tackled like other players with the ball. And yes, I realize the kickers have a special rule about being run into, but that position and play is unlike anything else in football. Is that ticky tacky thinking? Perhaps. But if the refs will call those hits like that on the qb, then I just want Clay Matthews to go up and hug the crap out of the qb, and stand still until daddy-ref blows a whistle to say the play is over, like in the Pro Bowl or preseason practices.

Either that, or Clay goes for the ball, and starts tearing the rotator cuffs of Buffalo's highest qb rookie draft pick and then Tyrod Taylor's arm this weekend too. Play the ball; play the arm. Tomahawk chops, karate slices the entire time.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 02:28:22 AM »

Might as well just put flags on the QB.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »

Big Ben-that was a total flop! :p

Cheesy Yeah it was, and good on 'em too. After years of getting the shit knocked out of him and having no flags thrown, much like Cam Newton (who I admit loved seeing it happen to) because both of them are so large that an illegal hit on them doesn't look "as bad" ... hell yeah I was glad to see his ass flop like a trout in a skiff. Hope he does it more, to make up for all the years they looked at him and smiled while they kept their damn flag in their pocket!!!
 Angry
And flop or not it was an illegal hit. Can't "TOUCH" the QB's helmet  Tongue

Now ...

The QB, like the kicker is a special thing. You lose your QB and most chances, MOST chances (last years Eagles not withstanding) your season is over. Any other position you can still get by. Linemen, WR, TE, RB, CB, Safety (both strong and free), you name it. You lose a prime player there, the impact is not as glaring. See how I said not as glaring? Because that is what it is. Yes, every position you lose a grade-A player at is gonna hurt, but that QB is TV gold. That is why they go overboard with protecting the QB. And I get it.

The new rule is a sound one. I know you guys hate it and the way it is being called so do I, but that is the problem, they are calling it wrong. The rule is to stop all the clavicle breaks that happen when a 300 pound man forces his shoulder and weight into the QB while DRIVING HIM TO THE GROUND. Not tackling. This isn't about the tackle, it is about the way they tackle. The way they land. It is called the "Scoop and Pull". That first Clay Mathews tackle was an iffy call, but also had the right idea behind it ... at first. Should it have been called? Maybe not, but then again, if he wouldn't have picked up the QB's leg and tipped his body to look like he was adding force on the way down ... before changing the landing right at the end ... it maybe wouldn't have been called. At first it looked like he was gonna Drive the QB, but he ended up not doing it, which is why it shouldn't have been called, even though it looked like a good call prior to that ... he started it like a Scoop. But that kind of tackle, that Scoop and Pull is and should be illegal for QB hits. Period.

However, they are calling it every single time a guy lands on a QB and that is bullshit. The second Clay Mathews hit, the one against Washington, is a prime example of that. That one had no "drive" to the ground aspect, it was just a good, CLEAN, hard hit that should not have been flagged. But the refs see him "land on the QB" and the flags fly. The men in stripes need a refresher!

They are meeting to get the rule straight. It will be fixed, or at least better, this year.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »

Oh yeah, Big Ben has been shlacked so many times in his career. But many like him, they stand in the pocket to the very end to make that throw.

I would almost say they have the rules to protect them doing so. Decades past, the qb folds up to protect himself going to the ground instead. Now? YOu just take the hit to make the pass. If that's how you want, or rather now, need to play the position, well, the position should know, AS A FOOTBALL PLAYER, you will get hit and tackled.

Instead, the rules keep codifying the position to allow them autonomy to not be hit at all.

I'm waiting for Clay to come at Allen today, hit the qb...and not take him to the ground, but just bear hug him and run backwards 5 feet, and just wait for Daddy Referee come blow the whistle to stop the play. Seriously; we are going there. And that's when it's really becoming 2 hand touch for the qbs.  Lips sealed

But fully agreed; they are calling it wrong. Instead of allowing refs to use any judgement now, it's all supposed to be a clinical and robotic regurgitation of the rule, wihtout any human judgement going "eh, it was close, but not egregious, play on.

(I'd even argue that Cousins was bringing his leg up as well, just out of human movement and all. But tha's quibbling. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »

No pass rush, no LB coverage between 5 to 15 yards = Continual struggles on Defense
Poor offensive output? No freakin' idea
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:24 AM »

Poor Mason Crosby.
Never felt worse for a kicker ... well, except a couple weeks ago when the Browns kicker did the same thing. Seems like a new trend with kickers missing a lot now.

I know they moved the extra point back, so I could see it if that was the kicks they are missing, but I mean made FG % is also down. It is like they moved the goal post back and put in on a pulley.
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »

Yeah that's a career day off the worst kind. It's in the record books now too.

But it barely disguises how bad the Packers are.

For the last 4 seasons, they have drafted secondary players in the first 2 rounds. And all but jettisoned all of them but 3 now. That also means they don't have any d linemen from before the 4th round, or useful wr.

And the game and their play shows it. Last year showed how dependent they are in Rodgers. This year shows how hard it is for Rodgers to shine turds.

I also feel that the old guard of the NFL Giants are fading to be replaced by the new standards. The Packers, the Steelers, the Patriots, the cowboys,  the Giants and even Seattle, Baltimore and San Diego too are falling behind the Rams, this new Philly, revitalized KC, and Carolina. Mind you, my appreciation isn't perfect. Minnesota goes up and down all the time, and the Saints still find new life, but the face of the NFL is looking quite different to me from 8 years ago.

Imagine when Brady, Brees, big Ben, Eli, and Rivers are done. Even Rodgers. There's a big gap after that.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS