HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:09:31 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August 8, 2018  (Read 5878 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 08, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »

Nope your not having deja vu.  My list is basically my left overs from the last week.  I'm not even going to add anything extra.   Grin

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 384
Inhumans: Judgement Day 1
Phoenix Ressurection: The Return of Jean Grey 4
Thanos 15
Marvel 2-In-One 2
Luke Cage 169

ComiXology
DC Nation 3
Superman 1
Action Comics 1001
Batman 52
Plastic Man 2
Justice League 5
Deathstroke 34
The Flash 50
The Flash 51
Hawkman 2
Mister Miracle 10

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »

Okay, I was out late yeasterday, so I haven't read anything yet, but this is what I am going to try and knock out this week -

FANTASTIC FOUR #1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Immortal Hulk #2
Immortal Hulk #3
Immortal Hulk #4
(And maybe start or finally get to issue #2 of Amazing, Avengers, Cap, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Sentry, Thor and Venom?!?!)

Bloodshot: Salvation #11
Bloodshot: Salvation #12 - Last issue  Cry
Death or Glory #4

Adventures of the Super-Sons #1 - To quote Poltergeist 2 ... "Theeee'rrre Baaaack"  Grin (for 12 issues)  Undecided
Batman #52
Catwoman #2
Hal and the GLC #50 - Last Issue!!!! (before the Morrison reboot ... which sounds great. Like 80's GL, but better)
Mister Miracle #10
Michael Cray #10
Red Hood #25
Supergirl #21 - Yep, on the "girl" side of "Super" as the team Andreyko/Maguire jump on the title (Would join for either)
Superman #2
Sandman Universe #1 - The open salvo into the four new Sandman related titles hitting over the next two months

And maybe some freaking Justice League, although I just can't seem to find the strength to jump back in after that s-so issue one  Undecided
Also, I grabbed issue #52 of Flash for two reasons. The artist with the crazy lightning bolts on every panel is not the artist and my boy Dave flipped it opened and I saw that first two page thread  Shocked Oh! Oh my! This may be interesting!!
 Shocked Cool
And final note, not only am I jumping on one "girl in the title" Cheesy Cheesy comic with Supergirl, I am also jumping on Batgirl. Only one reason I am trying that one, however. I found out Pelletier is drawing it now and I will always try, at least try, a book he is on. One reason for that. Now matter how much I complain about comics here and there these days, I have read some very good stuff. None of which I would have ever seen had he (and the comic Negation he was drawing at the time) hadn't pulled me into the CrossGen Universe and thus back into comics. He brought me back, I have to give his stuff a shot. (It was like discovering Kerry Gammill again, for the first time)
 Cool

Oh, there is no way I am getting through all this
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:41 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 384
Thanos 15
Marvel 2-In-One 2
Luke Cage 169

ComiXology
DC Nation 3
Superman 1
Action Comics 1001
Batman 52
Plastic Man 2
Justice League 5

Deathstroke 34
The Flash 50
The Flash 51
Hawkman 2
Mister Miracle 10

Well dangit.  JL 5 was pretty good.  Good enough to get the next issue and not drop the title as I had planned.

I enjoyed Superman and Action as well.  Batman and Plastic man too.

Looks like I'm 5 for 5 on enjoyment!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 384
Thanos 15
Marvel 2-In-One 2
Luke Cage 169

ComiXology
DC Nation 3
Superman 1
Action Comics 1001
Batman 52
Plastic Man 2
Justice League 5
Deathstroke 34
The Flash 50
The Flash 51

Hawkman 2
Mister Miracle 10

Three more good ones down.  Deathstroke and both Flash issues.

Flash 51 was a good epilogue to the Flash War, if not a little sappy at points.  Looks like I'm picking up Flash for the foreseeable future now!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 384
Thanos 15
Marvel 2-In-One 2
Luke Cage 169

ComiXology
DC Nation 3
Superman 1
Action Comics 1001
Batman 52
Plastic Man 2
Justice League 5
Deathstroke 34
The Flash 50
The Flash 51
Hawkman 2
Mister Miracle 10
- a good issue and we're headed to a good ending me thinks.

Poor Hawkman didn't have a chance against the other DC titles I read this week.  It's not bad but I'm not getting sucked in like the others.  I think I'm letting this one go.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:12:38 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »

Alrighty, so far -

Immortal Hulk #2
Immortal Hulk #3
- I am really liking this title. Almost like Tales From the Crypt in tone. And odd, but really cool take.
FANTASTIC FOUR #1 - Man, all due respect to all the talent on this book, but this left me wanting more. Or less of what I got I suppose I should say. This book was ... just a let down. No fanfare, save for the last page of the first story, and that was more "okay, neat" than "OH HELL YEAH!!" and no ... Fantastic!!!! I can't describe it anymore than being bland as hell.
Now it was nice that in the second story they brought Doom back around to being more of what Doom should be. Ya know, Doomy  Grin. But overall, from the look of Ben (I am sorry, I like Sara, but the Thing looks horrible with his ... I don't know, less than rocky, almost one piece-face. It is not The Thing), to the lack of the Four (which they promise, via the Impossible Man, to happen next issue), to Johnny's outburst (at that particular time), to a story that should NOT have opened the return of the Four ... THE FANTASTIC FOUR ... and I was really saddened by this issue.
I still have hopes, but man, this bummed me out bad
 Undecided

EDIT TO ADD - HERE is an image of Sara Pichelli's Ben. I can appreciate the effort, but nope, nope, nope, me no likey this. You can't just decide to alter the look of a character's face because ... what ... it makes it easier to draw? Not sure, and I would like to think there is/was another, different, reason to draw Ben like this, but regardless, NO! NO, NO, NO!

Hal and the GLC #50 - Good wrap up. Kinda bummed after reliving that FF issue now. I don't want to comment.
Mister Miracle #10 - Really good. Just damn good. Kicked the FF in their ass
Michael Cray #10 - Yeah, art isn't the best, but good story. Still better than ... well ... you know
Supergirl #21 - Maguire's art was not as Maguire'y as it should be, but still nice to see. The story, like most ancillary titles, is give or take, but I will take it for a few.

Death or Glory #4 - Another let down. This one ... TOO fantastic. I know, it is suppose to be a wild ride, but ... COME ON
Oblivion Song #6 -
Last page reveal was expected, it is Kirkman
but this art ... I just don't enjoy this art.

Immortal Hulk #4

Adventures of the Super-Sons #1
Batman #52
Catwoman #2
Red Hood #25
Superman #2
Sandman Universe #1

Bloodshot: Salvation #12
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:32:35 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »

Undecided

EDIT TO ADD - HERE is an image of Sara Pichelli's Ben. I can appreciate the effort, but nope, nope, nope, me no likey this. You can't just decide to alter the look of a character's face because ... what ... it makes it easier to draw? Not sure, and I would like to think there is/was another, different, reason to draw Ben like this, but regardless, NO! NO, NO, NO!

I may be mis-remembering...but aren't you a fan of Humberto Ramos? I hate to think I'm purposefully picking a fight, but, ah, actually, I'm more enjoying your singular passion to character(s) that are on a pedestal to you.  Smiley

I think that's all I'm going for? Okay, I'm a little baked since running around in the near noon day sun with Junior, so I really have no clue what I'm doing or typing this for, actually!  Shocked Shocked Cheesy Cheesy

Carry on! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »

I may be mis-remembering...but aren't you a fan of Humberto Ramos?

Smiley
"Fan" may be pushing it, but I don't hate his stuff (although at times it can be very hard to ascertain what he is trying to convey). But overall, yeah, I dig his stuff on Spider-Man and the like. Why so?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 01:04:50 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange 384
Thanos 15
Marvel 2-In-One 2
Luke Cage 169

ComiXology
DC Nation 3
Superman 1
Action Comics 1001
Batman 52
Plastic Man 2
Justice League 5
Deathstroke 34
The Flash 50
The Flash 51
Hawkman 2
Mister Miracle 10

I don’t know Perry, I’m not digging this Loki/Doctor Strange stuff.  Are you sure this gets good?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »

I don’t know Perry, I’m not digging this Loki/Doctor Strange stuff.  Are you sure this gets good?

Ha, Man I loved it. It was good from early on for me, so if you are not digging it by now (and I am stunned by that) you are not going to enjoy it. Especially because you only have one more issue now, but I wouldn't waste time if you are not having fun
 Smiley

Sorry it isn't hitting for you, or Jimmy, but I absolutely loved it. And it wasn't a "I like Loki so I like this" situation either  Cheesy I thought it was funny (the Ghost Dog still kills me), smart (how Steven battled back) and very, very enjoyable. In fact, I became a huge Cates fan after ... no DURING the reading of that run. This along with his Rednecks and Baby Teeth titles were just kicking at the right time for me.

Now Dr. Strange Damnation, THAT arc (Title Event), I could easily understand not enjoying. I know for a fact that it was not the best rated run, even though I had great fun with it. I even remember saying in the Weekly Readers that I know that most people will not like it  Cheesy It was ... really out there (not "out there" like crazy stuff, but "out there" in comic booky), but still, I had fun reading it even though it was not as good (or great  Wink) as this arc you are on. I know you won't like that if you are not liking this.
 Cheesy
But as you are aware, and for the same reason I am now dropping Oblivion Song after issue #6, some titles just don't hit. It happens, but still ... sad it didn't do it for ya.
 Undecided
(of course me and my anal attitude will now have me check reviews to go see if it was panned by most everyone or just me enjoying it all along  Cheesy Cheesy)

EDIT - Okay, I checked the "user" reviews (I like/trust them more than the critics most times) over at COMIC BOOK ROUNDUP(yes, I had to  Cheesy) and I am sorry it didn't hit, but at least I wasn't alone in the enjoyment of it (with all the drugs I have to take, you two had me scared I remembered the darn thing differently  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy) but okay *whew* it wasn't JUST me  Cheesy

And that is not a knock by the way. I don't enjoy or even hate many a "great" or beloved title, so I am not ragging on you guys for not digging it. Again, it happens to the best of us and the best titles.
 Cool

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:20:53 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 12:31:47 AM »

Just a couple more (mostly off list, of course  Grin). Not sure I will read anymore tonight or not ... though I would like to get that Sandman Universe in, so maybe ...

Marvel Two-In-One #8 - Man, totally missed this one. Sucks I read this after FF #1, though, it really didn't matter  Undecided

Catwoman #2 - Not as good is the first issue, but I love this art. On for awhile!
Flash #52 - What pulled me in, the two page spread near the beginning, ended up being just a two page subplot that was dropped once ya get into the book. I still struggle with Williamson's dialog. Not the actual dialog as much as how it is paced. It just seems off. I don't notice it in his creator own Birthright, but I always seem to on Flash. Oh well, I thought they had me.

Relay #1
Relay #2
- Okay, a scientific take on religion, kinda. It is okay (great art), but think I will hold off for now.
Redneck #5 - I really dig this title, I do, but wondering if it would, like most titles, just hit better for me in collected format. I may just stop reading for a couple months and string together a nice run of issues.

EDIT -
Got through one ore last night -

Sandman Universe #1 - A story that introduces us to the four new "Gaiman Titles". I had been pretty set on getting all four, but now I find I'm not sure about the writing of House of Whispers, after reading the few pages I read. Of course having said that, I did think about one character for awhile after closing the book. It was hard to get that talking alligator with a top-hat out of my mind  Grin Lucifer was pretty good, though somewhat hard to read when I was so tired, while The Dreaming showed me not only am I looking forward to this, but that I need to go back and re-read Gaiman's Sandman stuff again to get reacquainted with some of these characters (though I will skip those first few issues. I know it is blasphemy but I never liked the first ... five to seven issues of Sandman). Books of Magic (even though I didn't have time to get to the original series) is a definite buy regardless.

Immortal Hulk #2
Immortal Hulk #3

FANTASTIC FOUR #1

Hal and the GLC #50
Mister Miracle #10
Michael Cray #10
Supergirl #21

Death or Glory #4
Oblivion Song #6

Immortal Hulk #4

Adventures of the Super-Sons #1
Batman #52
Red Hood #25
Superman #2

Bloodshot: Salvation #12
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:34:34 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 02:21:13 AM »

Actually, I'm so far behind, that I've only read the first issue of the Dr. Vet Strange. I liked it!

It was the stuff with the Secret Empire tie-iins and fill ins I thought was junk to skip over. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »

It was the stuff with the Secret Empire tie-iins and fill ins I thought was junk to skip over. Wink

Oh hell yeah  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS