HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:58:26 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Heroes in Crisis  (Read 23613 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 12:49:46 AM »

Oh, I am, but I would like to see money spent to keep Deathstroke and Hawkman continually published. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »

Grin
I hear that!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 01:33:15 AM »

Issue 9 came out today.  I'm interested in what the Realm thought.

I read it this morning and have been processing it all day.

One thing is for sure.  I hated this mini series and still do.  Tom King really let me down on this one.  I know all about "what he was trying to do" but I honestly don't care.  This delivery was his epic fail.

Fortunately, I have read (and loved) Tom King's Grayson series, his Vision mini, and his Mister Miracle.  I'm not a fan of how Mister Miracle ended but the journey up to that was really good.  I also liked his Batman until this latest Nightmare arc.

So I'm thinking of giving him a pass for totally screwing this up.

As for this issue.....
The fact that Wally is still alive went a long way in starting a redemption path for me as far as what DC has done to this character.  The question is, will they just leave him in that cell and forget about him?  Or will they put him in the hands of a good writer (maybe even King) in order to bring him back from this.  I'll wait and see.

So yeah - my short lived DC Boycott is over, at least temporarily.

Unfortunately for DC - I found out there were a lot of titles I was buying that I can live with out.  King's Batman being one of them.  Just didn't miss them at all.  So I'm only coming back to four titles.  Well, actually three and I'm adding a new one to try out.

Action Comics
Freedom Fighters
Doomsday Clock
Batman and the Outsiders

And hopefully I'll get to add a new Legion title at some point!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 01:05:37 PM »

Not read the spoiler part yet but ...

Even though I have not yet truly read this series (as I was waiting for the end to read it all), getting spoiled on what happened last issue has me chomping at the bit to forgo the series for now and just read this issue. read the ending first. I'm leaving here in about 15 minutes to hit the LCS to grab it or maybe read it right there, depending on my mood, what else I find and of course the time.

That said, Yeah Jeff, Now that DC has all their titles popping up on DCU after a year there is no reason to pump out money on the print stuff, if you can wait it. Sure, I know you want to keep somewhat up to date on the main stuff and I don't blame you, but at $75 a year for EVERY DC COMIC (or cheaper for you as I think you went yearly from the jump and paid less), you just can't beat it!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2019, 08:30:36 PM »

That said, Yeah Jeff, Now that DC has all their titles popping up on DCU after a year there is no reason to pump out money on the print stuff, if you can wait it. Sure, I know you want to keep somewhat up to date on the main stuff and I don't blame you, but at $75 a year for EVERY DC COMIC (or cheaper for you as I think you went yearly from the jump and paid less), you just can't beat it!

Ooo - good point!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 10:52:48 PM »

I read it.

I just don't... know...

I still feel validated that this kind of story hurts comics (yas know, PTSD), and we'll see how the universe suffers for it.

I still cancelled my box at my comic shop. I... Don't know what I'm feeling right now. like comics let me down. Like I don't have something to share with my son THAT MEANT SO MUCH TO MY LIFE. I'm a little torn

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 11:40:26 PM »

I agree with you Jimmy; this hurts comics.  I know they want to be edgy and bring in new readers but alienating your lifelong fans isn't the way to do it.

I finally decided to forget about this story and then look at how things as they now are.

There could be some good stories for Wally to come out of this.  His struggle to overcome his breakdown and get back to being the hero he truly is could be interesting.  I'm trying to think positively. 

I guess now I know how all those Daenerys Targaryen fans felt at the end of Game of Thrones.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »

I like it, so far. Trying to push what I know about issue eight out of my head, but going on just the first three issues I just finished reading, yeah, I like it.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2019, 12:50:18 AM »

A flash in the pan(s?) thoughts:

I..feel Harley was utterly a wasted amount of space in this book. She was a mouthpiece for being sad when Wally wasn't sad? Sorry, just got to thinking back through this, and I found this wastrel avenue of her character being here simply annoying in the utter long run. Is she a villain? Misunderstood? Anti-hero? I simply don't know enough about her because I seriously avoid her, so the more I read of her, the less I liked her being here.

What the hell was up with having Ivy here? Is she dead in another title? Is that what this was about? Her resurrection? An utterly flat element that was another weird set piece for me.

Also, reading the last 3 issues in a row, I really didn't have a damned sense of which Wally was talking. And APPARENTLY he is really able to go through time at any given measure now. WTF on that!!

Although, I think there was a line in issue 8...where Wally was talking about 'he had Barry...then Barry died and he was alone...then he had Linda and the kids...then Barry came back...and changed everything because he wanted to...then I was alone again' and for me, the entire series should ALMOST be about the simmering HATE and ANGER Wally would now have towards Barry.

Barry did what BARRY wanted to do for BARRY'S sake. And everyone else had to pay for it. And from Wally's perspective...he has paid most of all.

NOW THAT I could get behind.

The Macguffin of the murder event? I'm sorry, that was an utter Macguffin of the highest order. No foreshadowing of a random power, or burst, from any singular comic event in either Flash's HISTORY of power presentation. Ugh. Hate it.

THEN...THEN...Wally sets up a crime scene? WHAT IN THE FUCKING HELL?!!

NOPE. The longer I just muse on this, as I think back, that issue 8 is the DUMBEST FUCKING THING about this. In 5 pages of writing and art, King simply goes off the rails to hammer the biggest damn square air craft carrier into the a round peg hole atop a sewing needle. That process of Wally doing that is..just wrong. Despicable in the act of writing to carry that out. Preposterous. A Fundamental error in planning, writing, editing, and signing off.

And, after reading #9...what good would he have thought he would have done could balance that act of accidental murder and insanity? Killing himself and 'making the world realize that heroes have flaws and need a shoulder to cry on?' Sorry DUMB.

(not that that idea is dumb; not at all! But that King would believe that event is powerful enough of a presentation of a dramatic event to knock readers back. It's not. I don't buy it

So...I guess I had more than just initial thoughts to say!

I for sure have felt, ever since Wally shouted 'Linda! I"m back! It's me!' and she went 'Who?' that I was crushed for Wally. He had his life. His wife, his children, his hero returned, and it was erased. No, he's easily the greatest tragedy out of all this returned universe. (second only, maybe, to Oliver not fathering Conner-will that have happened??), and of course, the current new tragedy of Superman losing years of his son's life.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2019, 02:35:21 AM »

So very anxious for Perry's completed thoughts. Rodney's too!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »

Wow.

So, I'm coming back to this over a year later and more. Deciding to read all of Flash on DCI(nfinite now), and it came to the point of where Wally left for Sanctuary, there is Flash Forward starring Wally recuperating from Heroes in Crisis...I read this again. All in one sitting.

My points up there in my old post? Still hold true.

I hate the story Macguffin of Wally's exploding powers killing everyone. An element never before seen ever does this? Bah.

Wally being able to race around and collect all the scattered destroyed videos? HOW? Did he shrink, go microscopic, then grab all the deleted videos? "I took control of Sanctuary" In what F***ING manner? How? Arranging a murder scene to throw off both Barry Allen and Batman is ludicriousness of the highest order.

I love time travel stuff, but even I can't rationalize it as to how Wally did what and when with what body. Then to solve his own problem of 'what murdered body' they just randomly go to the future, clone a dead body, and bring it back? WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F***?!!! That's a stupid pill enema the size of a Winnebago motorhome.

And...the stuff with Ivy, Wally knowing to get a rose to regrow her or some shit...I don't even know why or how anyone knew that that had to occur.

I have insulted my brain by reading this piece of shit a second time. Jeff, you are so, so right.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2021, 02:35:21 PM »

Right there with ya Jimmy.

Hopefully now that Didio is gone they will fix Wally.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2021, 09:20:27 PM »

Love it!!
Loved this mini and all that it ...

Nah
 Wink

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2021, 05:50:34 PM »

Oh, I am, but I would like to see money spent to keep Deathstroke and Hawkman continually published. Cheesy

Are you planning to read the new Deathstroke, Inc series?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2021, 11:40:36 PM »

Are you planning to read the new Deathstroke, Inc series?

I think I'll have to; gotta show them love and keep the book out there and going!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS