HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:56:45 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Man of Steel - Bendis's Debut  (Read 11055 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 29, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »

Issue #1 comes out tomorrow and it's a weekly event.  Who all is going to try this out?  (Besides Jimmy, of course)   Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:55:52 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »

As a/an off and on Bendis fan, I have to try. Of course, good or bad, I will still try the monthlies, although honestly, I am, as of now, more interested in what Bendis is going to do in Action, with the Daily Planet and its characters, than I am with what he has planned with Supes over in Superman.

That should surprise no-one here.
  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »

I'm going to give it a shot as well.  Gotta see if Bendis can strike gold at two companies.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:42:11 PM »

What I don't like ... it seems that Tomasi has a story upcoming and his story, not out until much later, is set to happen before Bendis' run or somesuch.

Not even started yet and we are already getting continuity issues?

Not a big deal, I am not one that is beholding to the steady stream of continuity, but I do enjoy having it.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:10:43 PM »

The Man of Steel #1

I like it a lot.  Bendis has nice mix of street level stuff and cosmic intrigue going on.  This is the setup issue which kicks off all the mystery and I think it was well done.

I'm in for this mini and possibly more depending on hos this ends up.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 06:21:43 PM »

Just finished issue's 3 & 4.

OMG - Bendis is awesome on Superman!  I'm sooooo glad this is a weekly event.  I couldn't wait 6 months to finish this!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 02:26:18 AM »

I've read issues 1-3.

Can anyone believe I can be objective when it comes to Bendis? I'm not sure I can believe myself either!

For starters, I actually don't hate the dialogue! There is no jabbering moron f**kwit in the background babbling about some dumbshit. I LOVE THAT. What I see from the dialogue is smart give and take, and in line with something that actual does resemble human beings talking. Bendis can do that!

I even like the voice he's projecting on Clark and Supes. He cuts a fine figure as a near perfect god who is wrapped up in his own insecurities at failing what goes on around him.

What I don't like:
The redoing of the Krypton history. I want stories to progress and go forward. I can't stand-anymore-reading about yet another threat from the past that knows all and can whup Superman until he learns something to go forward and win. And to be honest, with Bendis' most recent track history...I have no faith that it will be good. Or praised. Or remembered well. Or finish with any kind of satisfaction.

I don't like Rogol. He may as well be Doomsday/Massacre/Mongul/Lobo/Imperiex. For me, it's boring. Much like seeing the Fortress get destroyed again (which is worse-X-mansion, Avenger's Mansion, or the Fortress?) it's a boring aspect of the story. Because it's always done. But it's how a writer's -new to the series- villain gets some 'cred-by taking it to Superman's home.

Also, ....I personally just hate the jarring jump from Jurgens, Tomasi and Gleason's ending of the family that wins to having Lois and Jon just jet town or whatever. I just hate that manner of storytelling. Wink  Leave my Super family alone!!!

Also, it's a damned good thing that it's weekly, because that giant tiki gold glowing head showing up each week without advancing the story drives me apeshit crazy. THAT'S padding a story for a month.

But...I'm pleased for the moment. I hear that from issue 3 to 4 is a turning moment within this mini, so, based on my schedule of purchasing comics, look forward to reading it in August! LOL

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 03:24:22 AM »

Also, ....I personally just hate the jarring jump from Jurgens, Tomasi and Gleason's ending of the family that wins to having Lois and Jon just jet town or whatever. I just hate that manner of storytelling. Wink  Leave my Super family alone!!!

You need to read issue 4.  That’s all I will say. 

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »

Dammit!  I was afraid of that. It will be august before I get back!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 04:22:47 PM »

Ok I may sneak out of work early to buy my comics tomorrow. Just in time to get 'super'pissed at how Bendis effs up this character.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »

Nope.

Not for me.

**** that dialogue. In what world, in any multiverse, does Barry Allen say 'caca poo poo?'

what ****ing editor put that through?!!

Too much bullshit Bendis overlap writing. It does not make him clever, topical, social, or cutting edge. I have always hated it, and I hate it here.

I hate this. I just do.

Any hack writer can come in and do the 'big THINGS'. Look how great he writes; killed Kandor! wrecked the Fortress! Changed 80 years of history! because I"m BENDIS. Sorry, that's hack work.

Please. Whatever.

I'll read Action #1..or maybe not.

But I quit.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:10:17 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »

Cheesy
WOW.

Just don't see it, but should have known that whatever I think works, even part way, for boring Supes to be ... something good and entertaining to me, Jimmy would pass vitriolic judgment on.
 Cheesy

More for us, Jeff
 Cheesy

EDIT - That is not to say that you are not valid in your opinion, just that it, well, it almost had to be this way
 Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:58:51 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 04:31:36 AM »

Yup, just how I feel.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »

Yup, just how I feel.

Sure, I get that, I've blasted things before that you and others have like. Although, the difference here, at least on the surface is that I have also tried to recognize, at least somehow in the post, that while there are things that I PERSONALLY can't take, others are not absolutely 100% idiotic for liking it.

Just the how I feel
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »

If it came off that I was calling you an idiot for liking it, I am truly sorry it looks that way. There was never meant to be any intention of me coming after the readers.

In a technical sense, I find the writing to be a forced narrative. Bendis wanted Superman, and Clark only. So, he wrote them out. He's a big name, he gets to do what he wants. How else do you establish that you really mean business on a title? Wreck the character's base; his home, his people, his way of life. I'm sure other writers' had plans to similar aspects of all this, all in the past, but were denied-not big enough 'name.' Just create a cypher that accomplishes all this, because that's easiest.

With almost all things Bendis, I"m sure the end of the story will peter out, fizzle, or have little to no impact because he can't sustain.  (re: almost any of his titles in the last 6 years: All New X-men, Iron Man, Spider-Miles, does Defenders come close too?)

And yes, I well recognize that most of this is angry talking  Cool, but I don't think you can deny some kernels of truth.
Is is Clark voice pretty good? Sure thing! His Superman actions pretty good? Sure thing! But all the other Bendisy Bendis things still continue to drag things down for me.

In any case, like it! Love it! But I am stepping back and gone.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS