HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:37:10 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The DC ... U?  (Read 30155 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 02:47:01 AM »

I saw that Doom Patrol stuff too and I also thought ”Sweet!”  I’ll definitely check out the first four episodes just to get to that!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 03:49:03 PM »

Just saw episode 4 of Titans. I won't go into too much, but yeah, this isn't enough to keep me around.

When they start working their comics like the MU does, or at least stop pulling comics down that they put up (okay ... or when the Swamp Thing series starts  Grin), I will gladly come back and try again, but for now, I say adios!

Now I really have to push the Manhunter reading

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »

Well, I just got a peek over at DCU and it looks like it may be time to go ahead and start my subscription again. I stopped after two months originally, when I found out they were just putting comic runs up for a limited amount of time and then switching them out (forcing you to read on their schedule and not your own), but it appears as though they no longer do that as I am seeing some older runs and some new runs up on the site now.

Jimmy, I think this would be a good thing for you to join up for, at least in the near future, if they keep going this way. I mean yes, they are not MU ... yet ... but they are getting better it seems.

I did a fast search and not only is the complete run of that Manuhunter series still up, they have:

96 issues of Action Comics including the first 50 and then what looks to be 866 to 900 (Johns run yeah?)
24 issues of Adventure comics featuring the LoSH (no good runs yet though)
13 issues of '81 All-Star Squadron (not good by any lengths, but they have the first 10, so that is nice, as a bonus)
75 issues IN A ROW of '94 Aquaman ... Isn't that including the PAD stuff?
12 issues of the 2000 era Batgirl. The first 12 issues. I need to read that!
90 issues of Batman Including 290-325, Death in the Family and Year Three
32 issues of the original Batman and the Outsiders (Jim Aparo Baby!!!)
100 issues of Batman: Legend of the Dark Knight ... including the first 100 issues
12 issues of Shadow of the Bat (the first 12)
33 issues of Batwing ... I didn't look at what issues because I don't care. BLAH!!  Cheesy
40 issues of Birds of Prey - including the first 36 by Chuck Dixon... not sure that is good or not
12 issues of '07 Booster Gold (the first 12)
31 issues of Checkmate (the first 31 ... I think I want to read that !!)
81 issues of Detective Comics .. a good mix of early and later issues
63 issues of Doom Patrol ... the '87 run that had the Grant Morrison stuff
83 issues of Green Lantern (sadly no GL and GA stuff though)  Undecided
20 issues of the I, Vampire series I have been wanting to read
28 issues of Hitman (the original "The Boys"  Grin)
36 issues of Impulse ... the first 36 ... any good?
81 issues of the classic Justice League of America (including the Perez stuff)
27 issues of Kamandi bitches!!!
38 issues of Starman!!!
38 issues of Manhunter ... well yeah ... duh!  Cheesy
12 issues of Stormwatch!!! WHAT? I could have read them digitally? Not that you (or anyone) should read them at all  Cheesy
28 issue of Superboy and the LoSH !! issues 231-258
24 issues of the great, the amazing Authority!!!
87 issues of The Brave and The Bold!! Ahhh yeah!!!
23 issues of the Flash ... just odds and ends, a few issues of Johns, but not good runs. Hope they change that!!!
35 issues of The Power of Shazam!!! I do need to read this one. To get the bad taste of the newest out of my mouth  Undecided
12 issues of Wildcats. I know I am the only one, but I AM going to read 9-12 digitally.  Cheesy Cheesy

That is a lot more runs than they had before.
Yep. I think I will jump back on!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »

This is good news!  Not being perfect is ok as long as your moving in the right direction and sounds like they are!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 03:59:35 AM »

That indeed should be PAD's Aquaman run, with the ending dinner by Dan Jurgens-which I just loved. Unfortunately, about 12 issues of Erik Larsen too!

That looks great! I hope they just keep it up, build it up, and continue to offer more! Would love to read some Aparo Batman! Losh stuff as well!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 02:20:22 PM »

Yeah, I think the value is there now, I mean the cost for what you're getting at least.

Again, while I will watch the occasional DC movie/tv show/episode, the comics are the main draw for me at that site. The fact that they now have at least 100 plus issues of stuff that I know I want to (someday) get to, is enough for me to throw my money down.

Now I just have to decide if I want to go monthly again (just in-case) or do I commit to the full year and get the discount
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »

Do the full year and get the discount.  That way you want waste brain cycles every month debating if you should keep it or not.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »

Cheesy

Right?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 09:51:38 PM »

So just got an email about DCU and it offered me a month of DCU for 50% off ($3.99 for the month) so I signed back up again. Going to check out the Doom Patrol series. Hopefully it is better than Titans.
Speaking of which, Jeff, Jimmy, have you guys watched that? I know you started it Jeff, okay, I think you did  Grin, but did you ever finish it?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 01:32:15 AM »

So just got an email about DCU and it offered me a month of DCU for 50% off ($3.99 for the month) so I signed back up again. Going to check out the Doom Patrol series. Hopefully it is better than Titans.
Speaking of which, Jeff, Jimmy, have you guys watched that? I know you started it Jeff, okay, I think you did  Grin, but did you ever finish it?

I haven't finished Titans yet.  I got distracted when Punisher came out and never went back.  I saw that Doom Patrol came out and it reminded me to go back and finish Titans - just haven't done it yet.  Maybe this week?  We'll see!   Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 02:10:05 AM »

I'm rather financially crunched for a bit. This would be a simple extra fluff, but I know I wouldn't watch it within time, soI just won't get it. Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »

I haven't finished Titans yet.  I got distracted when Punisher came out and never went back.  I saw that Doom Patrol came out and it reminded me to go back and finish Titans - just haven't done it yet.  Maybe this week?  We'll see!   Grin

How far in are you and, I forgot, do you like it?

I'm rather financially crunched for a bit. This would be a simple extra fluff, but I know I wouldn't watch it within time, soI just won't get it. Sad

I understand completely.

There is no way you could watch Doom Patrol in the month anyway as they are doing the Amazon Prime thing again, like they did with Titans, of dropping one episode a week instead of the Netflix way of dropping all at once. I see the benefit in both. One from a business standpoint ("Let's keep them there as long as we can!") and from a fan standpoint ("I watched all of _______ in one night!"). I of course, being a fan, prefer the latter Grin

I have enjoyed what I have seen of Doom Patrol (the first 20 minutes or so of episode one) and I will say I enjoy it MUCH more than Titans. Not only because it doesn't have that CW feel to it and has more of a hard rated "R", Deadpool like atmosphere (We get some boob'age in the first 4 minutes or so  Smiley), but the writing and thus the humor works so much better here. Not to say there was a ton of humor in Titans, but it was mostly ... well ... Titans was just "okay" for me so I will just leave it at that.

I will also say, even though I am NOT overly happy with DCU's comic section and methodology, it has been a tad better than before. Still not quite enough for me to sign up for a year (in-fact I have even let my monthly MU subscription fall to the wayside ... I didn't trust myself with a full year financial commitment and that proved to be the case for now) but it is at the point now where if you just want to read some good 'ole DC, and not too overly worried about keeping up-to-date, it is now worth the yearly price.
Once I lose my LCS "in", I will be doing both yearly. I just hope that is many years from now
 Cheesy

Bottom line, if you want to read a lot of comics, instead of hitting the LCS, it may be worth giving DCU the $8 for a month instead of buying a couple of current comics.
And if you wait a month or two, you can watch all of Titans and Doom Patrol
 Grin
(And I will be, regardless if I leave after this month, coming back for the Swamp Thing!!!!!!!!!)
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »

How far in are you and, I forgot, do you like it?

I was on the Jason Todd episode.  Fifth or sixth episode?  It was past the Doom Patrol episode.  And I was enjoying it more as it went along.  My main complaint was the unnecessary "adult" language.  Personally, I think using that language all the time shows that your NOT an adult.  It's more effective when it's used less and for a purpose.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »

My main complaint was the unnecessary "adult" language.  Personally, I think using that language all the time shows that your NOT an adult.  It's more effective when it's used less and for a purpose.

I agree and I think ... I THINK they only used the F word once in Titans, although when Jason Todd appeared they may have thrown in a couple more to push the anger agenda that Dick currently has. And I hope I am not portraying that I didn't enjoy Titans because it wasn't "adult" enough. That is not why. It has a very similar tone to most of the CW stuff that I just don't enjoy. It is a "teen love" type of portrayal that I just don't get into. Like reading most comics of the 60's. Sure I can enjoy them for the story, but if they were a little more accurate to how people are today, and that includes talking to each other, they would be even better. Titans, while not as frustrating as say Flash when it comes to melodrama (always reminded me of my old church youth group, running everywhere in pairs to talk about everything instead of just expressing what you feel/want while it is happening. "I'll go talk to her" Roll Eyes) it was also written in a way that it didn't know what to be. Should we be like Flash or be more edgy? They chose edgy and edgy ALWAYS comes across as phony. Doom Patrol, while certainly more adult, is not, as of yet, phony

But yeah, I don't enjoy the cursing aspect of more adult stuff just because they are cursing. Sure it is needed at times, but saying F you 20 times does not make anything better and, like you implied/stressed, it does little to impress or be effective the more it is used. But when it is used appropriately, it is a wonderful, true to life thing. Smashing your thumb with a hammer does not naturally lead you to want to say "Golly-Gee". You have to force yourself to say that. And when Television or movies force themselves ...
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 04:44:52 PM »

YAY!!!!!

DC will now add ENTIRE library to DCU, with new titles added 12 months after LCS release!!!!!!

Sure that is 6 months later than Marvel, but so what? DC's library of 80 plus years soon to be on their site? Yep, it is officially time for me to go yearly on both MU and DCU platforms!!!!

Thanks DC

I almost take back everything I have said about you and that darn recap page!!!!

BC article HERE

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS