HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:09:47 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bad movies that were better the second time around  (Read 11824 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 16, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »

So I saw that Constantine was on ... some station ... a couple days ago and even though I really didn't like that movie when I saw it back in the day, I decided to go ahead and record it (for some reason that I can't remember, but I promise you it was not for my fondness of said movie). I know it isn't hated on, totally, but the general consensus is they missed the boat with this movie and I personally would go a little further as I really didn't like it. Just not what I wanted when I first saw it.

Well I just got through watching it again and, ya know, that wasn't as bad as I remember it being the first time I saw it.

Oh sure the acting isn't the best (It's Keanu Reeves, so...), the casting isn't the best (Shia LaBeouf as Chas the taxi driver?) and, well, the script isn't the best, but on a second viewing ... it wasn't all that bad and I even enjoyed it, mostly.

That got me thinking ...

What other movies are like that for you? A movie you just didn't care for originally but, perhaps, years later you decide to watch (or are forced to view) it again and realize you enjoy it a heck of a lot more the second time. Again, we are talking a movie you did not like or even loathed the first time you sat through the thing and not a good movie that just got better because you liked it more than the first time.
 Grin

Another movie like that, for me, was Talladega Nights. Oh how I hated that damn movie when I first saw it, didn't make it all the way through. Hell, Later I even saw bits of parts I missed the first time and still didn't even smile and had to walk away but I swear I watched it about maybe a month after that and I laughed my ass off. I think I was just so tired that final time that anything would have been funny, but nonetheless, I enjoyed it so much more.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »

I saw The Other Guys in the dollar theater and thought it was "okay". Caught it on cable two or three years later and laughed more.

Probably because a couple brought their kids to a 10 PM showing of the movie. One was a baby. They didn't fall asleep and were cranky. It got distracting.
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »

i didnt hate Green Lantern upon repeat watches...the 1st 2/3 is pretty good.
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 02:10:07 AM »

Fargo and The Big Lebowski.

I wouldn't call them bad movies though.  They just didn't quite grab me the first go 'round but I've enjoyed them more with repeated viewings.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:12:04 AM »

I wouldn't call them bad movies though.  They just didn't quite grab me the first go 'round but I've enjoyed them more with repeated viewings.

Shocked

The Big Lebowski is my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie of all!!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 01:59:23 AM »

Shocked

The Big Lebowski is my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie of all!!!

Yeah, like I said, I didnt think they were bad movies, just took me a while to warm up to them.  Certainty are favorites of mine now.

People raise an eyebrow at me every time they say "It really ties the room together" and I start to lose it.   Cheesy

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 04:45:50 PM »

not sure if this counts as i didnt hate either of these movies but the general audiances seemed to dislike or simply skipped

Ang Lee's Hulk is actually better than the Incredible Hulk.  i dont agree with all the choices but liked it a lot for what it tried to do and in the long run it was hulk vs the army which i liked.

also saw John Carter (of Mars) again over the weekend and this is a really good film.  well acted for the most part and fleshed out concept.  Not sure why this died at the box office, maybe it had tough competition, but it is good and set up sequels without bogging down the plot.  too bad we'll never see them.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 10:35:52 PM »

Agree about John Carter, not so much on Hulk
 Grin

But the marketing department just killed the movie John Carter because they didn't show what the movie was. They tried to hide the word "Mars" because "research" show them that women don't like that word?
Stupid. They should have just called it what it was, a good movie about a cowboy going to Mars and let the public decide.

Oh, and they could've also down played the jumps a tad as well. He was jumping waaaay to far visually in the movie. It didn't look right.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 01:27:27 AM »

I really really enjoyed John Carter. I could tell watching it that it wasn't going anywhere. The honest hero good guy Disney movie doesn't fly anymore, and that unfortunately is what this movie was. Made back in 92? This movie wins the year. Amidst the deluge of Marvel movies? Carter was sunk.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS