HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:38:43 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone buy trades on Kindle?  (Read 10090 times)
Rich
HR Celestial

« on: February 02, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »

I've been going to the kindle app for readers lately because they have been having HUGE sales on their digital collections.  I just got Uncanny X-Men Masterworks vol 1-6 for $20.  Basically 60-ish issues for around 34 cents each.  Seems they have the sales about once every couple months.  Now I don't have to crack open my floppies unless I'm changing the mylars!  It's also allowed me to pick up Secret Empire and IvX for DIRT. CHEAP.  I'm pretty much all digital except the 80's and early 90's comics I'm backfilling.  I'm kinda ok with it, which is a little sad.  However, on my ipad, I currently have 500 volumes of comics that I can literally take anywhere with me.  I'm conflicted.  Anyway.

What about you guys?  You read on Kindle?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 05:01:43 PM »

I use ComiXology and Marvel Unlimited for all of my digital reading.  And I am also 100% digital.  I still have my collection of floppies which I plan to pair down once my house is built and I get them out of storage.  I'll be keeping my Uncanny X-Men (original run) collection and most likely my New Teen Titans (Perez/Wolfman 80's) and concentrate on filling the holes there.

I haven't bought anything on the Kindle though I have the app.  I haven't checked but I wonder if the prices on Kindle are the same as ComiXology since Amazon owns both.  Something to look into....

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 06:13:43 PM »

Funny thing is, the Kindle sales are better.  Not sure why, but stuff that’s selling for like $3 on comiXology is like 2.40 on kindle.  Go figure.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »

I use Comixology also, but just slowly getting into the digital realm. I don't have a kindle, so I don't think I can buy through kindle...? See, in this regard, I am a bit behind on all the tech toys and such.

Also, I love going to my LCS. At some point, when I'm a bit older, or really sick of trying to make room for the floppies, or tired of seling them, then I'll be full digital.

Well, Marvel already is with Unlimited for me. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:02:23 AM »

I use Comixology also, but just slowly getting into the digital realm. I don't have a kindle, so I don't think I can buy through kindle...? See, in this regard, I am a bit behind on all the tech toys and such.

Also, I love going to my LCS. At some point, when I'm a bit older, or really sick of trying to make room for the floppies, or tired of seling them, then I'll be full digital.

Well, Marvel already is with Unlimited for me. Wink

They have a Kindle App for IOS and Android so you don’t have to have a Kindle device.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »

You can buy the Kindle books on Amazon's main site, and, like Jeff said, use the app for reading.  Or, use the comixology app--they are interchangeable when it comes to stuff purchased on amazon, but not the other way around.  Last time Kindle had a Marvel sale, I picked up the first six Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men volumes for 3.40 apiece!  Total of 20.40, 34 cents an issue.  I can't pass it up.  They have the sale about once every three months and I buy more stuff.  Next time, I'll continue the Masterworks streak and also looking at picking up Brubaker's DD run (never gave that a fair shake, and you can get the whole thing for like $23 or something crazy like that.  I'll try to post a link here when it goes live again.  I should just sign over my bank account to them.  LOL...
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »

So how about this ... couple questions for my old brain -

Do you have to have the kindle app or can you read the comics through Comixology website? For us peeps that still have and sometimes read on a desktop  Grin or do you have to use one of the two apps?

And you are saying that as long as I buy the comics from Amazon, I can use either app (Kindle app or Comixology app) to read on my tablet?

I have an old kindle (B&W) so I never bought any of the books that go on sale, and although I am an old fuddy-duddy that hates all this "app" stuff  Grin I will find it hard to resist the next time they come around if I can read them on my tablet, just using an app

Thanks guys!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 04:09:46 AM »

So how about this ... couple questions for my old brain -

Do you have to have the kindle app or can you read the comics through Comixology website? For us peeps that still have and sometimes read on a desktop  Grin or do you have to use one of the two apps?

And you are saying that as long as I buy the comics from Amazon, I can use either app (Kindle app or Comixology app) to read on my tablet?

I have an old kindle (B&W) so I never bought any of the books that go on sale, and although I am an old fuddy-duddy that hates all this "app" stuff  Grin I will find it hard to resist the next time they come around if I can read them on my tablet, just using an app

Thanks guys!!
For kindle purchases, you can read them on the comixology app and the comixology website, too.  But you can’t read comixology purchases on the kindle apps/devices.  Not sure why.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »

Okay, got it. Thanks Rich. Glad to hear I can read them on the site as well. My wallet will not be, but ...
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Rich
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 06:56:27 PM »

Yeah, my wallet is always yelping when I see their big sales pop up... Grin Grin Grin
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »

Hmm...gotcha. Do kindle purchases instead!!

I must just be a young 'nuff fellar; I stills buy me some floppies in the store. I'm just not ready to quit the tactile sensation of having MINE comics in MINE hands. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:29:53 AM »

Smiley
I would certainly RATHER have physical copies, but like Jeff, I just got tired of trying to store/rid myself of them, all the while being worried I damaged ones that were of any "new" value or resellable. I think most of us feel that same way though. It is just that you are, like you said, still young enough to let "stubborn will" be stronger than "tired of trying"
 Grin

If digital was priced correctly, however, I think we would ALL be getting our $1 digital copies.
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 09:13:24 PM »

I just don't think I can quit all the hard copies. Especially when I was looking at the Omni buses for Jonathan Hickman's Avengers stuff, I'm like I could buy that all digital for much cheaper but I wouldn't have an oversized omnibus on my bookshelf either! That's what I want! Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:03:22 AM »

Yep, you kinda need the physical copies if you want them on your shelves, huh, Jimmy?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I am still set to rid myself of most of my trades. Heck even some of my HC's. Especially my Walking Dead Hardcovers and maybe even my Invincible onces (once I get it all digital)

Though I think you would be better served going all digital, nixing the bookshelf and making room for another crib the way you guys are pumping them out.
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS