HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:56:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Goodbye Valiant?  (Read 11250 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 29, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »

Well I see where Valiant Entertainment has been sold. No more of the good guys keeping people like Jeff Lemire on board. I just listened to an interview with Jeff Lemire (over at 11 O'Clock Comics ... check it out HERE) and he praised the guys at Valiant for letting them (writers) have all the creative freedom they want, but now that a "movie" firm has taken control over Valiant, I just fear the entire publishing side will slide to places I don't enjoy.

I will stay on Valiant titles for as long as I can and I hope I am both wrong and worrying for nothing; that the quality of the comics will remain high, but you know how these things can go.

I will miss you Dinesh Shamdasani. A better CEO I could not have imagined
 Cry Cry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »

Bummer.  Sounds like it'll be moving to more a film centrist company and the comic book people are on the way out.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/29/valiant-entertainment-chinese-investors-dmg/

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 03:57:00 AM »

Yeah, every vibe I perceive just makes me feel that the Valiant that has existed, since, what, 2009? is really going to be gone.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »

Yet another "important" cog is out at Valiant Entertainment offices now. I am getting really scared. I think I am going to start preparing for a sudden "vacation" myself from Valiant Comics as a lot of really key peeps are getting the ax (walking away). As long as Lemire is writing, I am there, and as long as the books are good, sure, I will stay on, but man, yeah, I am worried.

Maybe it will be even better. Yeah? It could happen

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:26:18 PM »

It really could.  You just never know until the new product comes out.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »

It really could.  You just never know until the new product comes out.

IF it does. This new owner group is really set on the movie aspect more than the comic side of things. THAT is what has me worried.

Still, all could be just fine, but I don't like it when good people, that have been proven to produce good material, suddenly stop working for the company they themselves brought back into the light.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 06:51:25 PM »

Oh I totally agree.  I’m just trying to stay positive however unlikely it may be.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:18:25 PM »

Oh I totally agree.  I’m just trying to stay positive however unlikely it may be.

Grin
A good way to be.
 Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:26:18 AM »

Hope this turns into a reason for the new guys to keep the comics a'rolling

Oh Boy!

EDIT - And it LOOKS LIKE valiant may be in capable hands after all. Glad the new ownership group (and that term, "Ownership group", is what got me scared in the first place) is given the monthlies a chance to go on!!!

Me am sad Perzarro now  Cheesy  (Sorry, I just read Superman #42 ... "I am Happy Perry Now")  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:45:23 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 05:13:46 PM »

Seems promising!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »

Well just like that, it seems that in a couple months my list of total Valiant titles will consist of a whopping one title.
Just saw the preview for the new Bloodshot series and I am not going to be reading that. Nope. The art is not up to snuff, for me eyes, hope you can dig it, so I am off that title. Also, as "Ninja-K" has (I think) two more issues before that title wraps and a new Ninjak begins ... who knows when, I will be off that title. And lastly, as I have no interest in any of the "new" Valiant titles (Livewire, Faith, etc...) I will not be getting/reading any of those. Yep here soon I will only be getting X-O Manowar it seems.

The only question now is when will X-O fall from my list?

Sad times for me and Valiant.
 Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 12:11:14 AM »

And THIS is exactly the kind of bullshit I was worried about when Dinesh was fired from Valiant.

F'n crap like this. Treat fans like crap they won't be fans, you won't sell books ... if you wanted to anymore!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 01:05:00 AM »

So is Harbinger Wars 2 and Life and Death of Toyo Harada an essential end to the nirvana Valiant has been for the last 12 years?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 03:41:24 AM »

And THIS is exactly the kind of bullshit I was worried about when Dinesh was fired from Valiant.

F'n crap like this. Treat fans like crap they won't be fans, you won't sell books ... if you wanted to anymore!

Wow.  That was awful.  The Marketing guy especially should be fired!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »

So is Harbinger Wars 2 and Life and Death of Toyo Harada an essential end to the nirvana Valiant has been for the last 12 years?

Hope not, but could easily be so. Just looking at the current status of the company, I am looking forward to the KILLERS mini and the new Bloodshot series written by Tim Seely and Brett Booth (which I will soon tire of seeing his tilted panels, no doubt Sad) plus Livewire has been a pretty good book so far (especially if you read her two past minis ... which you should!) and heck, the current Mini Punk Mambo is fun, as she always is but the most recent Bloodshot "series" did NOTHING for me, Fallen Word has been less enjoyable than it should have been and I didn't like the first issue of Psi-Lords at all ... although I am hoping that it turns for me with the second issue.

Plus, like the article stated, not a sign of the other "main characters". Now I have seen where X-O is returning this fall and we do have that Roku mini coming, so maybe Ninjak will be seen there as she is his nemesis, so maybe all is not lost, but Valiant's X-Men, Harbingers, I want them to return ... in some form anyway.

I was pretty low on hope when I heard of the new management team and the firing of my boy Dinesh, but then they made me happy with Toyo and a couple other things, so I don't think all is lost, but yeah, it very well could be
 Angry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS