HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:31:37 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blade Runner  (Read 8649 times)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« on: January 29, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »

I missed Blade Runner 2049 when it came out in the theaters, so I just went out and got it.  As I did, I realized that I never got around to getting the original on Blu-Ray so picked up the "Final Cut" as well to watch first (waited over the years to see if this one was going to be the definitive version... ).

BR 2049 was respectable enough.  Still can't beat the first one, but still not bad.  Couple of thoughts:
First, I appreciated that they still didn't confirm whether or not Deckard is a replicant.  (The unicorn dream in the Final Cut certainly leads one to that possibility, but I still like to see him as human.)  Second, I also like they way they build up K to be the special replicant "chosen one" only to bust that trope balloon with the revelation that, no, he's nothing special, just a "piece to the puzzle."

I guess what I really wanted to share was some thoughts about the original film.  It had been a while since I had seen the movie, and to the best of my recollection, I think this may have been the first time I had seen the Final Cut version of it.  So for a film made in 1982, forgive me if some (or all) of this discussion has been exhausted already.

Anyway, as I was rewatching Blade Runner, I found myself reconsidering some of the fundamental elements of the movie.  As a kid and young adult, I watched Rick Deckard battling the evil androids without a second thought.  Now, as I watch it I realize something.  Wait a second, this Deckard guy is basically running down and killing runaway slaves.  And aside from possible indirect contrary evidence such as his quitting and drinking, he does not seem to have a problem with it and continues to do it well.  Even in the end when he runs off with Rachel, it seems that he spares her not because of any ethical epiphany, but because he happens to like this particular one.

And regarding her, in what was supposed to be a somewhat romantic scene (as indicated by the mellow saxophone soundtrack in the background), the "hero" appears to sexually force himself on the noticeably distressed femme fatale moments after blocking her exit and slamming her up against the wall.  Yes, there are the arguments that she does consent or that he is trying to get her to give in to her emotions, but her reaction and the manner in which he is trying to get her to go along with what he wants gives it an unsettling tone now that I rewatch it.

Wow, so Deckard is the villain.  Or if not the villain, then one of them.

Then poor Roy, who has been considered one of the great sci-fi villains, seems a little more heroic to me this time 'round.  Yes, he is a magnificant bastard who manipulates and kills throughout the film.  But what motivates him to do these things that he himself considers "questionable" (things he was created to do, by the way) is to protect and prolong the life of his "family."  After Deckard kills this family off, Roy chases him through the building only to spare him at the end and give his sympathetic Tears in the Rain monologue. 

So, I'm not trying to deconstruct one of the top science fiction masterpieces of all time.  Still love the movie and it looks awesome in HD.  Just saying that the argument about whether or not Deckard is a replicant doesn't seem as interesting to me as the question of whether I should be routing for this guy or the poor buggers he's hunting down.  The tone of the sequel kind of goes along with that.

Undecided

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »

Loved both movies and I still feel
he IS a replicant ... but yeah, great that they left it ambiguous 
Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 04:00:47 AM »

Mitch,that's awesome writing and thinking!

I have no idea if that idea still does currently exist out there. I think I watched this movie as a kid, thought 'it's Han Solo, but not Star Wars' and that it wasn't really for me.

Makes me want to watch it and see if I can offer refute to what you say!

Amazing way to reinterpret a viewing!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS