HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:23:21 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 10, 2018  (Read 5421 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 10, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »

Gonna concentrate on clearing out my Marvel Q this week...

Marvel Unlimited
Royals 4
Ultimates 2 #8
All New Guardians of the Galaxy Annual 1
All New Guardians of the Galaxy 5
Elektra 5
Defenders 2
Daredevil 23
Jessica Jones 10
Iron Fist 5
Weapons of Mutant Destruction: Alpha 1
Cable 2
Totally Awesome Hulk 20 - WMD Tie-In
Champions 10
Spider-Man 18
Spider-Man 2099 #24
Infamous Iron-Man 9
Hawkeye 8

Secret Empire:  Brave New World 2
Secret Empire:  Underground 1
U.S. Avengers 7
Secret Empire 5
Secret Empire: Brave New World 3

Darth Vader 2
Poe Dameron Annual 1
Star Wars: Droids Unplugged 1
Poe Dameron 16
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 8
Star Wars 33

ComiXology
Batman 38
Deadman 3
Deathstroke 27
Detective Comics 972
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 36
Justice League 36
Mister Miracle 6
New Superman 19
Red Hood & The Outlaws 18
Superman 38

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:28:41 PM »

ComiXology
Batman 38

What did you think of #37?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »

ComiXology
Batman 38

I thought it was a throw away issue.  I'm not as big a fan of this direction as I thought I might be.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »

ComiXology
Batman 38

I thought it was a throw away issue.  I'm not as big a fan of this direction as I thought I might be.

WOW! I am ... well ... like this -  Shocked
 Grin

I agree it was exactly that, a throw away, but man I thought it was fun as hell. And I am not a fan of King's Bat at all (and honestly not keen on some of the characterization in this issue) but still I read this with a smile on my face a majority of the time. An issue with one of those grand, early 70's, Worlds Finest type of reads that I use to enjoy as a youngin'. Supes and Bats at a carnival? Oh heck yeah, what jovial fun we will have. Or "I" will have it seems
 Grin

That sucks it didn't have the same or similar impact for you. Hope #38 hits better for ya  Smiley  Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »

a fast couple of books starting with one I didn't finish -

Ninjak vs The Valiant Universe #1 - I started this, but then realized it may be the "adaption" of the digital movie that Valiant has coming out by the same name. I don't like reading adaptions, usually, but especially not before I see the visual version of said feature first. Put this on hold

Nightwing: The New Order #3 - Jeff nailed it. This is a really cool book. Hoping to time this right ... turning the last page of issue #5 on the same day that issue #6 is released, so I may need to slow down on this title.  Grin

Flash #36 - WHAT?!?! Me back on Flash? Well, yes, for a short time. I was looking around the LCS and saw Flash #38 had some "Rogue" stuff on it so I picked it up and flipped through. I noticed it had Scott Kollins art (I have always loved the look of his run on Flash back with Johns ... something I still have yet to read  Shocked) and I also noticed that this was a continuation of the current Rogue story arc, so I instantly went to look for  issue #37. Flipping through that issue I found that issue to be part 2 of the arc (and also had art by Howard Porter), so I grabbed issue #36 to get to the beginning. That issue also had Porter art which made me a tad sad as the only reason I really wanted to get the arc was because of Kollins being back on Flash, but I decided it was at least better than that lightning loving regular artist so I went ahead and pulled them all. Decent start this was, overall.

If I get back I am gunning for another issue of that Flash as well as hitting up Titans #19 as it has art by the artist that pulled me back into comics after my 10 year absence (Cexit?  Cheesy) with his work on Negation, Paul Pelletier. Have to have a go at that. Just have to.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »

ComiXology
Batman 38

WOW! I am ... well ... like this -  Shocked
 Grin

I agree it was exactly that, a throw away, but man I thought it was fun as hell. And I am not a fan of King's Bat at all (and honestly not keen on some of the characterization in this issue) but still I read this with a smile on my face a majority of the time. An issue with one of those grand, early 70's, Worlds Finest type of reads that I use to enjoy as a youngin'. Supes and Bats at a carnival? Oh heck yeah, what jovial fun we will have. Or "I" will have it seems
 Grin

That sucks it didn't have the same or similar impact for you. Hope #38 hits better for ya  Smiley  Cool

I didn't hate it, don't get me wrong.  I think my disdain for King's "engaged" Batman taints my opinion.  Not that I hate that idea either.  It's just the way he writes those two characters as being engaged.  Doesn't "feel" right.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »

I know, I feel the same way, but man if that doesn't just show how fickly we comic readers are. Complain about Peter not being married while Batman being engaged also gets up riled up.
 Grin

EDIT - CRAP - I've been doing this so much lately.
 ... gets US riled up.
not
 ... gets up riled up.
 Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:19:54 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 12:20:03 AM »

Where does the time go? Not making much progress...

Marvel Unlimited
Royals 4
Ultimates 2 #8
Elektra 5
Defenders 2
Daredevil 23
Jessica Jones 10

Iron Fist 5
Cable 2
Champions 10
Spider-Man 18
Spider-Man 2099 #24
Infamous Iron-Man 9
Hawkeye 8

U.S. Avengers 7
Secret Empire 5

Darth Vader 2
Poe Dameron Annual 1
Poe Dameron 16
Star Wars 33

ComiXology
Batman 38
Deadman 3
Deathstroke 27
Detective Comics 972
Justice League 36
Mister Miracle 6
New Superman 19
Superman 38

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »

And on a down week for Jeff, I get a good bit in
 Cheesy
Of course
 Grin

Earlier -
Flash #36
Nightwing: New World Order #3

Just read -
Red Hood & the Outlaws #18 - Dipped my toes back in. Water was a little too chilly for me. Just okay.
Titans #19 - A pretty good issue actually. Maybe back on for a few as Pelletier is here for at least 3 more issues. Me likey.
Flash #37
Flash #38
- Ugh, I just can't get into Willamson on Flash. Each time I try I walk away disappointed. I can't figure it. Maybe it has something to do with making Captain Cold
a murderer? Has he killed before? Hoping this is a red herring but ...

Captain America #697 - Typical Samnee and Waid fair. Not groundbreaking, just good comics stuff.
Iron Fist #76 - Another title just doing good stuff. Didn't think I would enjoy Sabertooth here. I was wrong.
Thor #701
Thor #702
- One hell of a two issue read is what that was. Man can't wait to get into #703. And #704 hits in two days!!
Uncanny Avengers #30 - WHOA !!! The classic Avengers statue!! What happened? A new addition?!?!?
Avengers #695 - Man, seems like we just did this. This story is very close in tone and plot to a recent Marvel Event but I have to say, even with that, I am looking forward to this. The statue "change" that I first saw at the end of Uncanny Avengers #30 has more of a reveal here (so glad I read this after UA#30) and I am both scared and confused while also being a little ... well ... excited. Is this a Sentry situation or is Secret Wars returning once more to once again "change" the Marvel Universe forever?!? That sounds patronizing, and it is, but I did enjoy this and looking forward to this weekly Avengers event.
Tales of Suspense #100 - The SURPRISE of the week. Really, really liked this more than I ever thought I would. My boy Dave told me to try it, I grumbled, I read, I thanked him. A toned down Travel Foreman following the script of another Marvel find in journalist Matthew Rosenberg who just killed it with the dialog in this book. Another writer I am damn sure going to follow from now on. Just hope it wasn't a one and done with the talent. I don't think so. I really liked this and it helped cap of a week of fantastic Marvel reading. Although I still have more to read, may just stop on a high note.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

Not sure what happened last week but I didn't get through much.  Looks like I'm rolling this over to the next week.

Marvel Unlimited
Royals 4
Ultimates 2 #8
Elektra 5
Defenders 2
Daredevil 23
Jessica Jones 10
Iron Fist 5
Cable 2
Champions 10
Spider-Man 18
Spider-Man 2099 #24
Infamous Iron-Man 9
Hawkeye 8

U.S. Avengers 7
Secret Empire 5

Darth Vader 2
Poe Dameron Annual 1
Poe Dameron 16
Star Wars 33

ComiXology
Batman 38
Deadman 3
Deathstroke 27
Detective Comics 972
Justice League 36
Mister Miracle 6
New Superman 19
Superman 38

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »

Titans #19 - A pretty good issue actually. Maybe back on for a few as Pelletier is here for at least 3 more issues. Me likey.

Now you know that's just going to entice me to go back to this title.  And my OCD will make me pick it up from where I left off!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:24:38 AM »

Perry;

to answer your question, yes he has, (I believe!), but only when they had it deeply coming according to his cold, I believe.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »

Titans #19

Now you know that's just going to entice me to go back to this title.  And my OCD will make me pick it up from where I left off!

Well, to full understand what happened in THIS issue you may need to. I am not going to as I couldn't take another Brett Booth panel right now, but thanks to DCs refusal to give first page recaps (sorry for bringing that up again) you do tend to go into titles missing out on what is going on if you are a new reader.

I still have not received on little tweet back from anyone at DC ... yet  Smiley, but I am about to hit them all again. It just baffles me that Boom can do it, but DC can't?

But yeah, if you want to know what is going on here, you either have to go back about 5 or 6 issues, I think, or just get a recap from DC's comics page. Again, I did neither as I am here mainly for the Pelletier art and after a few seconds of confusion, I got enough to keep me on at least for the rest of the Pelletier run.
 Smiley

Perry;

to answer your question, yes he has, (I believe!), but only when they had it deeply coming according to his cold, I believe.

Thanks, Jimmy. Never knew that.
Always assumed he was just a "thief" and that was a huge part of his charm. Although typing that, I never thought I would use the word "Charm" to describe Cold.
 Cheesy

If he has ("If" using your less than 100% acknowledgement  Smiley) it still didn't make the book that much better to be honest. I still had issues with the dialog and more, but that does make it a less egregious writing error if Cold has murdered before. It will kinda, just a tad, lessen my enjoyment of Cold as I like him not being one  Grin, but I will get over it ... I think.
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS