HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:13:04 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 3, 2018  (Read 6705 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 02, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »

New year!  I hope it’s better than last year!

Marvel Unlimited
All New Guardians of the Galaxy 4
Daredevil 22
Doctor Strange 22
Luke Cage 2
Mighty Thor 20
Royals 4
Secret Empire:  Brave New World 2
Secret Empire:  Underground 1
Spider-Man 2099 #24
U.S. Avengers 7
Ultimates 2 #8
Weapons of Mutant Destruction: Alpha 1

ComiXology
Black Magik 9
Bloodshot Salvation 2
Detective Comics 971
Doomsday Clock 2
Eternity 1
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 35
Harbinger Renegades 8
Harbinger Renegades 0
Hawkman Found 1
Kill or Be Killed 14
Lazarus X+66 #5
Nightwing: The New Order 5
Redneck 7
Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd 1
Sherlock Frankenstein 3
Walking Dead 175
War Mother 2
War Mother 3
X-O Manowar 8
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:19:57 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:18:50 PM »

Well, I tried out Strangers in Paradise with the ComuXology half price sale and I can’t put it down.  Looks like I’m adding it to the list.

Marvel Unlimited
Daredevil 22
Doctor Strange 22
Luke Cage 2
Mighty Thor 20
Royals 4
Spider-Man 2099 #24
U.S. Avengers 7
Ultimates 2 #8

ComiXology
Strangers in Paradise Vol 1 #1
Strangers in Paradise Vol 1 #2
Strangers in Paradise Vol 1 #3
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #1
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #2

Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #3
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #4
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #5
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #6
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #7
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #8
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #9
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #10
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #11
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #12
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #13
Strangers in Paradise Vol 2 #14
Black Magik 9
Bloodshot Salvation 2
Detective Comics 971
Doomsday Clock 2
Eternity 1
Harbinger Renegades 8
Harbinger Renegades 0
Hawkman Found 1
Kill or Be Killed 14
Lazarus X+66 #5
Redneck 7
Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd 1
Sherlock Frankenstein 3
Walking Dead 175
War Mother 2
War Mother 3
X-O Manowar 8

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:20:09 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 01:24:58 AM »

Well, I tried out Strangers in Paradise with the ComuXology half price sale and I can’t put it down. 

Fantastic!!  Smiley

That one was just too hard for me to decide if you would like it  Cheesy. Glad you do though.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »

Moving right along......

Marvel Unlimited
Daredevil 22
Doctor Strange 22
Luke Cage 2
Mighty Thor 20
Royals 4
Spider-Man 2099 #24
U.S. Avengers 7
Ultimates 2 #8

ComiXology
Black Magik 9
Bloodshot Salvation 2
Detective Comics 971
Doomsday Clock 2
Eternity 1

Harbinger Renegades 8
Harbinger Renegades 0
Hawkman Found 1
Kill or Be Killed 14
Lazarus X+66 #5
Redneck 7
Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd 1
Sherlock Frankenstein 3
Walking Dead 175
War Mother 2
War Mother 3
X-O Manowar 8

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »

Superman #38
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 02:48:11 AM »

I"m'a bout day drop the bomb on what I've read and what I'm thinking about it. May not make it to the main story threads, but here goes!

Black Hammer v 1- hey, cool reading! Neat homage style to old version stylings of how comics were printed. I will say this; this story only has about a 3 year possible arc, right? There's no way this runs 5 years.

Seven to Eternity v 2 -also, still great reading (I love me more fantasy type stuff!!). Sad when the main artist needed a break/catch up time in issues 7-9 or so. And, to a degree, I think this works with only a 5 year possible arc, I think.

-I think I keep bringing this up, mainly due to not wanting good storytelling to go and on and on and on without a resolution. It's why I get so burned out on Fantasy books (looking at you, Brandon Sanderson!!)

Gotta be starting Black Magick v 1, Godborn, Reborn (Millar/Capullo title; might have named it wrong), then it's on to Letter 44!!

What I've read:

X-men Gold 6 -I believe I'm just done or bored with X-men. Nothing captures my interest here. Okay, maybe an uber-powerful Rachel, who I've always wanted to come on strong and reign supreme in the X-verse, but it never sticks, or others just replace her.

Ultimates2 8- Great, great world building. Really deserves to be in the cosmic library of Marvel history. Where's my good artists!! This title stars Galactus And Ego.

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-man; Why does Kubert draw Spidey's face like it's a stretched out putty face from rubbing the newsprint illustration. Nothing snappy or interesting in first issue. I read the spoilers ahead of time, so I guess I made the issue climax fall flat.

X-men Blue 6- I was thinking I read this issue...then I realized I didn't. So I opened the issue to read...then I realized I did read it. Which means I'm done reading it since I could tell or bother to remember if I had read this. Bye bye X-men!!

Luke Cage 2: Happy to see all Luke's history brought further to the forefront to read. I like!

Secret Empire 5: Oh lord, 5 more issues?!

Infamous Iron Man 9- almost getting a bit too Bendis-speaky in dialogue, but it falls away enough to not bother me so.

Totally Awesome Hulk 20-read this as it was part 2 of WMD...oh god, I see where this awfulness is going...someone stop me, but it's the trainwreck I can't look away from!!!

Defenders 2- okay, cool reading of some characters that Bendis has always done best with.

Scarlet Spider 4- I"m getting more into this title because of more Kaine. And Bagley's art has me jonesing hard-core for my youthful days of yore when he was the main man on all things Spider-man (MY Spidey, not that Ultimate dude.)

Cable 2- what the HELL?! Why is this so bad!!!?! 2 issues of nothing. No plot hooks, no moments to really make you go, 'yes, coming back for more for sure!' Is it so Pacheco can keep up with only doing 2-3 panels per page to somehow maintain 'monthly' status?! (Which hurts me to say, because I loved and adored Pacheco over all artists for a big time in his career). But nothing is selling this book.

Amazing Spider-man 29- so glad Ock is here to tell Peter all the things I keep saying-you're a moron, I've been running your company in secret; you have no business acumen or intelligence for it; how did you think this company stayed afloat? How dumb are you really, Peter?! Love that.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 02:58:55 AM »

DC Comics:

Doomsday Clock 2 - I'm glad to be reading this...and I love the craft of it...and I realize it's going to be waaaay better in the full format...not that I dislike this monthly installment...but I'm not sure the reviews aren't just stroking Johns right now simply for the effort he is putting in.

Batman Lost & Hawkman Found-2 way out weird issues which did help a bit more with the main storyline. Not the way I wanted Hawkman found, however. Sad I still have faith and hope, however!!

METAL #4 -man oh man, what to say? Probably go to say it in the main thread. Smiley

Action 993-994- Booster Gold is back and I'm a happy guy! But Superman is written like a real twit in the face of this (THIS Superman KNOWS this Booster from before-- meaning he knows him, the true Booster, to know he's really F***Ing with time and needs to go home!)

Wonder Woman 36 -James Robinson, with the new twin brother Jason, is doing just dumb stuff here. This might be drop-worthy real damn fast.

Aquaman 31-BEAUTIFUL issue-loved it! And I'm really into and digging this issues rising action and story climax!!

Justice League 34 & 35 -in 2 issues where less words told WAY MORE than was necessary, Priest has wowed me so much!! What a great way to start, with such power in the events of these 2 issues! READ THIS!!!

Hal Jordand & GLC 34-35 - I thought a bit of a snoozer, to be honest. A bit TOO much of mining the very old history/past of the Guardians and Controllers. Unless they go really far out with the ending, like say, if they created a new merged race of Guardians, then I'm just going to call this a flop.

Deathstroke 26- Again, Priest, makes it all harken back to the very beginning of EVERYTHING he ever writes, and spins a story that continues to weave stronger ties back into itself with each issues. Damned strong storycrafting.

Superman 37 & Super Sons 11- love this arc so far!! wahoo!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVEITLOVEIT!!!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 03:03:16 AM »

OH!!!

And Invincible Ultimate Collection v 11 (of 13!).

Kirkman has me reading with my heart in my throat the entirety of this volume. When 'he' the writer threatens so much of Mark's world, his love, his family, his daughter, I feared the worst in every panel and page I read. Like, just terrifed for Mark Grayson!!!

v12 comes out around my birthday (GETTIN' IT!), and then I imagine 6 more months or more for the last volume of Invincible for all time.... Sad Cry Cry

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 03:19:15 AM »

Is Action worth picking up?  I love Booster but don’t want to spend the money if it’s bad.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 03:31:49 PM »

Oh that's right, damn Jimmy makes me copy and paste his quotes 1,000,000 times because I want to discuss my opinions/thoughts on what he has stated with his opinions/thoughts
 Angry

Grin

DC Comics:

Doomsday Clock 2 - I'm glad to be reading this...and I love the craft of it...and I realize it's going to be waaaay better in the full format...not that I dislike this monthly installment...but I'm not sure the reviews aren't just stroking Johns right now simply for the effort he is putting in.

Damn, well I am really liking this. I do hope the collected version hits better for you ... or this picks up ... either way  Smiley I think it is really great, spattering just the right amount of Moore's Watchmen with John's vision (small "v". Not THE Vision  Grin) It just FEELS like Watchmen to me. But I like this better. Maybe being a non-fan of the Watchmen has helped me here.
 Grin

Batman Lost & Hawkman Found-2 way out weird issues which did help a bit more with the main storyline. Not the way I wanted Hawkman found, however. Sad I still have faith and hope, however!!

Same here. I still can't wait for my Hawkman book, but this was a really hard punch in the face for me.  Undecided

METAL #4 -man oh man, what to say? Probably go to say it in the main thread. Smiley

Can't wait to see your thoughts. I think this was trash.

Action 993-994- Booster Gold is back and I'm a happy guy! But Superman is written like a real twit in the face of this (THIS Superman KNOWS this Booster from before-- meaning he knows him, the true Booster, to know he's really F***Ing with time and needs to go home!)
Is Action worth picking up?  I love Booster but don’t want to spend the money if it’s bad.

Not to me it isn't. Not liking this. Wanted to get my Booster fix in and I can't say this run accomplished that. Just ... meh I guess. I do know it takes a little more for me to like or fully be entertained by a Superman title, so take my words with a grain of salt ... as they say.
 Grin
Personally, I would spend the money you were thinking about spending here and try Nightwing #35 and #36.  Smiley Humpries has brought me back on this title.

Aquaman 31-BEAUTIFUL issue-loved it! And I'm really into and digging this issues rising action and story climax!!

Editorial did a good job replacing artists here. Not as powerful as Sejic, but a very nice style that is similar yet distinct. Glad he kept the look of Atlantis

Justice League 34 & 35 -in 2 issues where less words told WAY MORE than was necessary, Priest has wowed me so much!! What a great way to start, with such power in the events of these 2 issues! READ THIS!!!

Loving the hell out of this. The obvious (and wrong) comparison for this is Anti-Authority, but it is a beast of its own and I can't wait to see it grow.
 Smiley

Deathstroke 26- Again, Priest, makes it all harken back to the very beginning of EVERYTHING he ever writes, and spins a story that continues to weave stronger ties back into itself with each issues. Damned strong storycrafting.

Loving this and they kinda worked out the Deathstroke and Terra think in issue #27. Kinda. Not as creepy or ... well, yeah. moving on

Superman 37 & Super Sons 11- love this arc so far!! wahoo!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVEITLOVEIT!!!!!!

I did as well, until Teen Titans #15 when the story went to utter shit. Thankfully, Superman #38 helps save it a tad, even though I am still somewhat brooding of TT#15.
 Roll Eyes

Aquaman #31 - Jimmy and I agree on this title. That alone says something  Wink
Batman #37 - I have not been a fan of King's Batman, this issue however, with Bats, Supes, Cat and Lois on a date at a carnival ... which has everyone dressed as Supers (pretty cool DC characters thrown about in the background) was about as fun as it was slightly off. Just never pictured Lois in that kind of underwear (not a bad thing, it works within the issue). Even with a little "um" moments here and there ... I still enjoyed this greatly.
Batman #38 - Can this be a turning point for King and me? Is his Batman become really good? Maybe. This was an interesting little story that I had fun reading. Is that disturbing based on the topic here? Maybe again.
Batman and the Signal #1 - I have no true affection for this character and Snyder is not making it easier for me to begin to change my mind. While the art is pretty darn good, there are two writing choices that just boggled my mind. Luckily, I have already forgotten one of them  Cheesy and I just don't care enough to flip through and find it but with the other one, and it is a small thing, one of those "it's just comics" kinda thing, but for a writer that is suppose to "know Batman" ...
okay, so Duke Thomas (our hero known as "The Signal"  Roll Eyes) gets a text from "Bruce Wayne" saying 
"Meet me at the Gotham Center. Now"
or something like that [why do I use quotes when they are not really accurate quotes? practicing for FOX NEWS?!?! Hahaha ... okay, joking, joking ... anyway ...]  and so Duke says/thinks, and rightfully so, that he doesn't know if it is Batman or Bruce that actually wants him there and well, that makes sense as Bruce is texting using his personal account it would seem and those things can be hacked. But then after Duke gets there, "Bruce Wayne" texts him something on the lines of
"Electrical box. There is a passage behind a wall"
WHAT?!?!? Why don't you just put it out there for everyone, BATMAN?
Pssshhh.
 Roll Eyes
Okay, it didn't ruin the comic, pretty good all and all, but why do writers do stuff like that? Why not have him text a code that Duke would understand he had to translate to then know to look for a panel or switch and not just tell anyone that could get that information off a freaking phone text line. And before you say well it is Bruce Wayne, his shit be secure as hell  Cheesy, well than why not just text as Batman?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Anyway, not enough to kill the book. I did like it
Bug Adventures of Forager #1
Bug Adventures of Forager #2
Bug Adventures of Forager #3
- Honestly, I am going to have to restart this entire thing. The first couple issues started well enough but then I was lost as hell. The story got deep and I was just not looking forward to a thinking mans comic at that time. Dealing with Kirby's New Gods is great, but going in deep into that stuff like the Source Wall and countless other Kirby outlandishness (and I mean that in the best, totally loving it way) when you are tired is just not going to do it. Have to start over when I am well rested and ready for Cosmic/God talk.
Deathstroke #27
Justice League #34
Justice League #35
Justice League #36
- Just yeah, already spoke on these two titles. Just get them both and be happy!
Nightwing #36 - I really like this bad guy. I thought he was new, but it seems as though he has been messing up Nightwing for years. Need to research but don't want to spoil anything by looking.
Superman #38 - Lord did that Super Sons of Tomorrow story line need this issue. After that dreadful Teen Titans issue I almost didn't even bother with this. Glad I tried.

Going to try and get to a few more before midnight -
Nightwing: The New Order #1
Nightwing: The New Order #2
Nightwing: The New Order #3
Nightwing: The New Order #4
Nightwing: The New Order #5 - so I can get ready for that final issue #6 that hits in a week or two

or

Mister Miracle #2
Mister Miracle #3
Mister Miracle #4
Mister Miracle #5 - as issue #6 is about to hit and may be a "break" after that. Been dying trying to save these to read all at once, but if there is a break involved, no way I can last. Surprised I lasted this long. Not sure which one I will start in a few ...

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »

It's middling to okay. Jurgens has, again, fallen a bit into telling just some Superman tales, but nothing to really push anything? I dunno, been a bit up and down for me. Was REALLY hoping for some goodness here! But the Oz stuff has me a little sour and judging harder as well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »

Didn't get through much of the Marvel stuff.  But Strangers in Paradise was good.

Marvel Unlimited
Daredevil 22
Doctor Strange 22
Luke Cage 2
Mighty Thor 20

Royals 4
Spider-Man 2099 #24
U.S. Avengers 7
Ultimates 2 #8

ComiXology
Black Magik 9
Bloodshot Salvation 2
Detective Comics 971
Doomsday Clock 2
Eternity 1
Harbinger Renegades 8
Harbinger Renegades 0
Hawkman Found 1
Kill or Be Killed 14
Lazarus X+66 #5
Redneck 7
Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd 1
Sherlock Frankenstein 3
Walking Dead 175
War Mother 2
War Mother 3
X-O Manowar 8

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »

It's middling to okay. Jurgens has, again, fallen a bit into telling just some Superman tales, but nothing to really push anything? I dunno, been a bit up and down for me. Was REALLY hoping for some goodness here! But the Oz stuff has me a little sour and judging harder as well.

That matches with what Rodney said too.  I think I'll skip it for now.  Let me know if it gets better.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »

Got a couple of those Nightwing issues in.
Good stuff Though I am having to suspend a little too much believe as a huge Nightwing fan on one aspect, I still enjoy this and it is very well written indeed. Even with the little small issue I have, but as this is a different timeline type of story, it can damn sure be a different "Nightwing"
 Grin

Aquaman #31
Batman #37
Batman #38
Batman and the Signal #1
Bug Adventures of Forager #1
Bug Adventures of Forager #2
Bug Adventures of Forager #3

Deathstroke #27
Justice League #34
Justice League #35
Justice League #36

Superman #38

Nightwing: The New Order #1
Nightwing: The New Order #2

Nightwing: The New Order #3
Nightwing: The New Order #4
Nightwing: The New Order #5
Mister Miracle #2
Mister Miracle #3
Mister Miracle #4
Mister Miracle #5

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS