HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 06:44:06 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TITANS  (Read 28444 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »

But the whole point of that trailer led to that singular moment of 'Fuck you.' That was the entirety of the selling point of it. When a lot of the media about this new app was about celebrating the DCU in all it's formats-print, tv, and movies, and now all access, throwing a big FU! out just seemed incongruous to all that.  Cool

But if one idea of the new app was indeed to show diversity in all its formats, how can the "FU" be incongruous?
 Smiley

And this is not attacking you, Jimbo, but as you mentioned it I just want to respond to something that has been on my mind for awhile now. Please, no offense meant or implied ... but ... why must everything that has the word fuck or shows a tit translate into "lazy writing" all the time? Aren't the comics of the past nothing but that very thing ... true lazy writing? Using tropes upon tropes to sell comics? Sure there is and has to be exceptions that prove the rule (and I have always hated that saying), but by and large comics are filled with "lazy writing" and always have been.

Sorry, I just despise the damn notion of lazy writing. Bah. Talk about a trope. I am a lazy writer. I don't care if I misspell or transpose or use "no" when I mean "know" or any other vast examples of actual lazy writing that I observe  Cheesy, but when actual writers have an idea, lay that idea out on paper and people don't agree with certain things contained within that paper it is said to be lazy writing? I refute the idea of it all. Not slamming you, Jimmy, but I feel that damn thing is a piss poor catchphrase for taking an idea in another place that people don't agree with.

Also, what is wrong with writing being edgy or grown up? We have countless books and animated shows of the Titans being the true inverse of that, why can't we (or I  Grin) have a damn show where it IS more damn adult and not written with the younger audience in mind. Why is wanting an adult speaking show that features the heroes I also have enjoyed for over 40 plus years a bad thing? Yes, I want a damn show with Fuck you in it. As long as it isn't out of character and why is it a bad thing? Is Dick Grayson saying "fuck" that much out of character? Heck no!  I damn sure will take Nightwing saying "fuck Batman" over a damn Aquaman that says "My man!" or "Yeah-Uh" (or whatever that was)
 Sad Sad Sad Sad

I don't want a barrage of filth flying from my heroes, of course not, but why is it okay for Sci-Fi shows like Farscape to scream out "Frell" (we all know what that means) or Battlestar Galactica's "Frak" or the great Firefly to yell "Gorram" and no-one has a problem with it but when a comic hero uses it, one whose character is not above using a "bad word", it gets piled on?

If Starfire was to say it then yeah, I would have issues with it. Well, unless it was used by her in a humorous way (which think about that ... if she follows Dick's lead and repeats his words but in a more "did I do that correctly" manner ... I think that would be funny). Even Garth would seem a little out of place throwing that word around, but Mr. Grayson? I know he is not Slade Wilson, but yeah, I can damn sure see him saying what he did. Not make it a regular part of his vocabulary (not like it is mine  Cheesy) but damn skippy I can see him saying what he did this once.

Anyway, I know I will do what I almost always do after I post my strong feelings ... I will come back in about 5 minutes and delete everything because I don't want, and is not my intent, to hurt anyone's feelings, but I hope I can at least wait an hour or so before that mood hits me. I am not trying to be snarky or mean, just trying to express what "I" feel about things as well as reading about how others feel.
 Undecided

I hope it is taken as just my opinion on a topic and not a personal attack. Not meant to be. I value everyone's opinion, but I also like to express mine from time to time
 Undecided

Peace
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »

No offense taken at all. It's conversation!

I've obviously hit a nerve, which is fair. I've definitely used this line twice now, here and with Bendis Superman writing.

Although I will defend my thought with referencing my post that I said 'first impression. '

But it does make sense huge impression to have the Boy Wonder dropping expletives. I hope the feedback has been ok and or good for them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 09:59:08 PM »

No offense taken at all. It's conversation!

Sweet. Last thing I want to do, while bitching about bitching or bitching about things that irk me enough to bitch about is to make someone think I am bitching AT or TO them and not the point of bitching.
 Cheesy

And again, I do get your POV, I do. S'all good.

That said, I should have worded my first gripe a lot differently. I said no offense and then I didn't clarify that I wasn't pointing the finger it you. When I said -
"Please, no offense meant or implied ... but ... why must everything that has the word fuck or shows a tit translate into "lazy writing" all the time?"
I should have added "with most people" or something like that. Man. I certainly knew what I was saying in my head, but damn I didn't express it too well. I meant that a lot of people do that. Was not calling out you, yourself, even though it damn sure reads that way.  Embarrassed
I suck at writing. I know what I mean but damn it comes out wrong more times than not. I am great at a get together, expressing different thoughts without sounding like an ass, but when it comes to writing them down? Ha, yeah, not great.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 03:57:46 AM »

That's okay I was posting from my phone most of the time; which sucks!

In fact one post got dropped, I was going to reply tongue in cheek with "hey, what's with throwing shade at Aquaman?!" 😁

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »

Cheesy

(Man I hope that movie is good)

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 04:35:18 AM »

Hey now, that's just beautiful.  Seriously.  Two guys debating a bit on a thread but making sure not to offend each other. 

I've been on a bit of a Star Trek kick lately on Netflix and decided to try out the Trek BBS for a while.  Bloody hell.  When they're not writing doctoral dissertations on what color the Enterprise's carpets should be, they're tripping overthemselves to find the most "clever" way to be an @sshole toward each other.  Over a TV show.  Anyway...

Sorry to interrupt the thread.  Just wanted to comment on how refreshing it is to see a little civility on the 'net.  Ok.  Please continue.

*SIGH*  It's good to be home.  Smiley

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »

I actually missed what he said the first time around and had to rewatch it to catch it.  Kinda had both jedicow's and Jimmy's reaction to it.  Sad Roll Eyes

I'm not against it necessarily as long as it appears natural or organic given the character and situation.  While I'm glad he's not saying "Holy alleycats, Batman," casually saying "F Lips sealed Batman" seems unnaturally forced for the reasons Jimmy already mentioned and makes Robin look like just another punk indistinguishable from the thugs he's pounding, at least on first impression.

Disappointed in the trailer but withholding judgement until after a couple of installments of the finished product.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »

Okay, a "semi-Live" non-spoiler (or at least non-major spoiler) review/thoughts on DC Unlimited's Titans show.

This may be all over the place, thoughts wise as I am going pretty much scene by scene as I watch it sooooo

Again, I will keep spoilers out of it unless noted and only then by necessity

Okay, here we go ...

Let me start by saying the intro was done pretty well, we get an origin show of one of our heroes and it was done pretty well.
The music/theme sucks. They need to change that.
I don't like Raven with short hair. Not really a review, but I did say I was going to have thoughts included.  Grin
Interesting how they are working with Raven, I do kinda like that.
Struggling to believe Dick as a detective here.
The good - This is NOT like the teen angst ridden CW shows. This is very dark
The bad - The teen angst is still pretty high, but given the subject matter ... what do I expect, yeah?
The good - The writing seems to be ... better than I expected
The bad - there is a scene on a school bus that is really badly written
The good - This is, and I can't stress this enough, not as goody-goody as the CW. Not as many smiley damn faces.
The bad - This may go a little too dark at times. Especially with Robin. He is far too masochistic in the alley fight.
The good - Starfire's acting
The bad - Starfire's hair
The bad - Getting back to the bad writing ...
A guy is so scared of Starfire that he start shouting how he will tell her everything she wants (basically) and then shortly after he is calling her a crazy bitch and spitting at her feet. WTF? THAT ladies and gentlemen is what we call bad character writing.
and now a pretty big spoiler that I don't think you should look at until you see the show -
I didn't like the way Kory killed the guy she had in her room. Yes, Kory is a fighter in a war, and I don't yet know how long she has been here or even if she is still going to be an alien in this show, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me. Maybe that will change?
Well the last scene cleared some things up.
Why in the hell are the effects so damn loud? This isn't me being old, but I turn the volume up to hear the dialog and the damn effects blow out my speakers!! Levels people, LEVELS!!!
The bad - Kory reacts to ... something and it is not right. That was a bad decision on the directors/writers part. Bad, bad.
OH FOR CHRISTS SAKE ITS A RAG... SPIT IT OUT!!!!  Angry
Oh how about that, you pass out and the rag just drops out of your mouth? Yet you couldn't ... oh forget it!!!  Angry Angry
Last thing ... Gar needs to change quicker.

Overall ... not bad. In fact it may (along with my recent desire to finish reading Manhunter) keep me signed on for a month. Just to see if it gets better. Overall, and expecting far less, I think I can grade it ... well ... I will grade it two ways. One for the show and one for how I felt it related/shared it's comic counterpart.

If you want the comic ... don't watch this. Kory and Raven are totally different. Gar at least has his young sense of humor and Robin was done well enough, although a tad too violent.

Show/Comic wise I give it a 5
but just on its own I say it is a decent start with a 7
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »

Well I just canceled my DC Universe subscription.

The second episode of Titans was so bad that I couldn't stick around long enough to even finish the episode and the comics section is just a joke.

Nothing is working right on the app, I couldn't even leave a post to ask for help.

Going to try and knock out a few more Manhunter issues later (if I can open them, I SURE AS HELL COULDN'T OPEN THEM A FEW MINUTES AGO!!  Angry) and then buy the rest from Comixology.

DC Universe (app) sucks balls
 Angry Angry
Maybe when the comic app is better or maybe when Swamp Thing hits I will be back, but only ever as a monthly service (not paying for the entire year) until they can prove to me they have all the things fixed that are going wrong currently, and not just my issues, there are tons posted on the message board ... not sure how they were able to post them, as I can't post $#@&, but whatever ...

Grade D-

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 05:18:04 PM »

Bummer - I signed up for the whole year but have yet to even open the app.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »

That really sucks to hear, Perry.i was hoping you'd be telling me to come follow this Titans show.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »

That really sucks to hear, Perry.i was hoping you'd be telling me to come follow this Titans show.

Man, you would hate this show so damn much that I could not express ... it is ... so opposite you.

For example and slight, ever so slight spoiler, but in the trailer when Robin says "Fuck Batman", I was one of the few people to say/think "Okay, so it is gonna be a harder show"  Grin I had actually enjoyed the thought of that, but after seeing the scene in which he says that line, I was taken aback at how mean spirited Robin was being. I don't mean Hard Batman style fighting, but going out of his way to "punish" the bad guys. Like sliding one guys face across bricks, or a guys arm across a car windows broken window (which could never happen as car door glass is made to shatter, its tempered glass, not like annealed glass that would leave all the sharp edges ... I HATE when shows/movies use the wrong shit for stuff like that).
Anyway, he was just too mean. He wasn't breaking legs to stop a criminal act, he was hurting people for the joy of it. Not really, but that is what it came across as.
I let that and the issues I had with Raven slide in the end as I thought the actress that plays Starfire did such an amazing job, the show deserved another shot.
But then, episode two shows us Hawk and Dove for some damn reason (yes, they are important aspect to the Titans, but jeez get the regulars in there first guys!). First off they chose these 30+ year old actors to portray Hawk and Dove  Sad then they had this sex scene that was (yes super short and off camera) but was so bad and so frivolous I just had to shut down. Plus, just way too much profanity, sex talk, forced adult content ... it wasn't a natural flow ... it was BAD.
If Swamp Thing goes that route, fine, but not the Titans. I don't want anything like CW, but I also don't want forced adult situations that are so irritating it hurts.
BAH
Stay Away.

And Jeff, the app is suppose to get better and I hope they get it straight soon, just know that if you start to read something, some title, read it fast as it may disappear the following week. Stupid is what it is.
But the TV and animated shows and movies are worth a look. Although I am mad they don't have the Batman/Superman Apocalypse movie I wanted to watch.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry
Must be a Kirby Family thing
  Angry
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:17:18 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »

Episode 1

I watched this today fully expecting to hate this show.  And....it wasn't terrible.  In fact, I think I like it.  I have some issues - most have already been discussed here by others - but nothing I couldn't over look at least temporarily.

Even the F Batman line seemed to fit in the context of the scene.  There may be a solid (if not good) reason for Dick to be so angry and hopefully that will flush out and change.

I haven't watched episode 2 yet and it sounds like that is the one I need to expect to hate.  But I promised myself I'd watch through Episode 4 to at least see how they do the Doom Patrol.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 12:22:09 AM »

Haha, funny. I watched episode #3 today, in preparation of #4 tomorrow and ... yeah, I didn't hate it.

I still say the violence is waaay too forced, and I love violence, on tv that is  Grin, but the show flowed a lot better then episode #1 and damn sure was better than dreadful #2. Dick is still far too dickish as well (I dind't mind the F" Batman as much as Dick sliding guys faces down brickwalls  Roll Eyes and he wouldn't have ... well, anyway ... stop it Perry  Cheesy), but yeah, episode #3 was much better than #2 and slightly better than #1 ... that is all I will say.
Goodbye
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »

Episode 2

I think I understand why Perry hated this so much.  But I have to admit, I didn’t hate it.  I actually liked it.  The violence is a bit too much (and not really necessary) but I was able to overcome it.  I found myself liking Hawk and Dove.  You definitely have to forget about what you know about the Titans from the comics as these are darker characters.  There is a reason Dick is the way he is, we just don’t know why yet and that reason is part of the over all character development. I am interested to find out why.  The best actor in this show is definitely the girl playing Raven.  And since this episode was heavy on her story I was drawn in.

Maybe my expectations were sufficiently low enough that it’s hitting me better.  If it only goes up from here I think
I’ll be in for awhile.  My one complaint is the over use of the F word.  Really unnecessary and detracts from the characters.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS