HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:14:46 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TITANS  (Read 28554 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »

So I saw the new pic of "Titans" Dick Grayson as Robin on Twitter and decided to drop in and ask if this new show will get you guys to try DC's new "Digital Service"? Or will you wait until the new animated Young Justice: Outsiders begins? Or will any of those get you to try? I guess it all depends on price, but would the same price of All Access ($5 a month) get you to join?

I was excited about both until I learned that Titans will be ran by the same guys behind Arrow and Flash and I am just not sure I want that kind of style in my Titans. If it is a little heavier, just a tad less high school drama like (no offense to those that enjoy those shows), I would surely enjoy it more so I am hopeful as it is paid programming they will go just a pinch more ... well ... you know.

I am looking forward to Young Justice 100% however. Really liked that show when it was on.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »

I’d be willing to give it a shot! 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »

I just loved seeing the appropriate awesomeness of the Tim Drake Robin suit! I LOVE THAT SUIT TO DEATH AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:11:47 AM »

and let's not forget these two...

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:39:18 AM »

MEGA-COOL!!!!   Shocked Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »

Sweet pic!  This has potential!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »

I'm just afraid that Starfire and Raven are going to be super-cheesy and the other characters will get lost in the background.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »

Well I am sure by now most of you, if not all, have seen the images coming from the set of The Titans show.

I am saying absolutely nothing more than I will not be watching this.

Best of luck to the cast and happy viewing to the fans that watch!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »

Well I am sure by now most of you, if not all, have seen the images coming from the set of The Titans show.

Don't forget - the original images of the Flash were bad too and it turned out to be a good show.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »

Don't forget - the original images of the Flash were bad too and it turned out to be a good show.

Yeah ... but did it, though?
 Tongue

Grin Grin

Okay, sure, I watched Flash, well for the first two seasons ... maybe even three, but lots more things can ... no, nevermind, not gonna do it.
Hope you guys enjoy the hell outta the show!!
 Smiley Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »

Hope you guys enjoy the hell outta the show!!
 Smiley Cool

Maybe I will be doing stretches to see if I can more easily get my foot into my mouth?
 Cheesy Cheesy

Gotta admit, didn't expect ... THIS kinda trailer  Shocked 
Adult language!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 03:36:03 PM »

Looks good!

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 02:04:04 AM »

i was IMMEDIATELY turned off by Robin spewing out the F word.  Why does all the DC stuff have to be so dark (with the exception of Flash and Shazam.  I know, I know.  Stop looking at me like that, Perry!)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »

i was IMMEDIATELY turned off by Robin spewing out the F word.  Why does all the DC stuff have to be so dark (with the exception of Flash and Shazam.  I know, I know.  Stop looking at me like that, Perry!)

Cheesy Cool

I will say this about Robin throwing that out there like that ... it damn sure got my attention. And while I completely, 100%, without pause or thought, understand why some fans are turned off/away by that two second shocking phrase, I had the complete opposite reaction.

I had no interest in the show Titans until I saw that "trailer" and heard those two eye opening words.

"Fuck Batman!"

Whaaaaat? Now hold on a minute, I was not expecting that at all. Maybe this will be a different kind of show
 Smiley

The way Geoff Johns described his reasoning for having Robin say that was that Dick had just left ole Batsy. I guess he means that Robin is a modern, young man who finally got fed up with the old man and his shit and has bounced from the crib with deuces flying in the air (am I doing that right?  Cheesy Cheesy)

I get it. I was almost exactly that way when I left my dads house. Sometimes overbearing can be overbearing  Smiley

But again, I get most fans reactions. I do. Who wants to see their heros in that light? They are supposed to be "super" and always (or as much as possible) on the moral high-ground. But think back to when Robin left Batman. Is that phrase really something Robin, in this day in age, wouldn't have said? Maybe, sure, but then again maybe not. And remember, this is Titans without the Teen.
 Wink

When it comes to some television, movie or book themes, I don't need vulgarity to make them seem realistic or more true to how life is or can be, but when I am watching shows that feature drugs, war, politics or the fantastic feats of "superheroism" and the like, it is nice to have a "fuck you!" in there from time to time to match the high action or tension that is being displayed. There is nothing like that phrase to show you, the viewer/reader, that we are down to business.
 Wink

But again, I also understand the point that these characters we love so much are loved because they take some of us AWAY from the realism of true life. The whole idea is to escape the real world's obscenities and drown in a pool of easy to digest good versus bad. I get ya.

I just know I was not going to watch Titans and now I am at least going to try it. All because Robin said something that I think fits in a more realistic and less teen melodrama (Arrow) type of way. Yes, I also know the term "realistic" and all its forms is a bad word for some comic readers but while I enjoy the older comics for the way they were, I for one still enjoy the more modern way of writing because it is just that, more real. Well, as real as reading/watching something about people flying around with capes draped over their shoulders. Yep. I am certainly gonna check out Titans now. I think most fans will also give it a look if they are on DC Ultimate ... or whatever it is called. Or at least I hope so.
Smiley

(On a side note, I also hope I have more info on the comics side of that DC Ultimate before I have to pay for the service to see Titans. I want to do yearly to get the best deal, but I don't want to pay for a year if their comic selection isn't up to par with what I am hoping.)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »

I think I 'stand' somewhere between jc and Perry's thoughts.

When I first saw it, my true initial reaction was 'oh please' with a roll eyes.

All my first impressions where this: Lazy writing. To seem edgy, grown up, adult, NOT A COMIC, the writers' made sure to show that this wouldn't be some kiddy crap-they swear! Fuck yeah! We're violent! Blood and pain! YEAH!
I also immediately thought that if part of the advertising is 'Hey kids, comics!', wherein they show all the video clips of all the great past DC movies, shows, CARTOONS, and advertise comics, then they are confusing the hell out of some of the buying audience by having this bad fucker Robin being a no holds barred brutalizer in the alley.

Seriously, there is a confusing message about the DC app. Will certain parts of the app be parent locked so under 10 can't watch Titans? (and I'll presume the horror show that will be Swamp Thing). What will it look like if they put in all of the Wolfman/Perez Titans comics alongside the show? Again, a messed up selling message!

That said, I don't even care that Robin said it. It would be nice that on Arrow they wouldn't always have to 'act' as those people, that instead they could just go and 'be' those people-people who swear, get frustrated or down, but collect themselves and do better.

But the whole point of that trailer led to that singular moment of 'Fuck you.' That was the entirety of the selling point of it. When a lot of the media about this new app was about celebrating the DCU in all it's formats-print, tv, and movies, and now all access, throwing a big FU! out just seemed incongruous to all that.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS