HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:51:44 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Batman annual 2  (Read 7465 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« on: December 01, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »

So i see on my facebook feed that this book is blowing up and is apparently the best thing that DC has put out since, well, ever.  can someone spoil me?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 02:18:42 PM »

I haven’t got to it yet but will let you know when I do.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »

Same here.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:55:11 PM »

Okay, read it ...

It is essentially
the life and times of Batman and Catwoman with Bats dying of Cancer at the end. Is it the Earth 2 Batman? Maybe, I forgot to look at all the people around Bruce's dying moment  (it is way different than the originally version as no-one here was in costume and Bats in not in his coffin, with cowl on, haha). And I only assume that this is the Earth 2 version as in one scene, Selina is talking to her and Bruce's daughter, Helena.
However, it could still be a future glance as well, but I think at the very least, if it isn't Earth 2 (like I remember it when I was a kid) it is an alternate Earth and not our DC proper ... but could be wrong. Hahah

Yeah, it was well written, but ... no ... not going to say anything else. It was a good book. Truly.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »

Thanks, Perry!  All these people kept talking about how they cried when they read it, I was curious.  Not quite curious enough to go out and BUY the book, but, you know.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »

I have heard the same, about the tears, literally, and I guess I can see it hit that way. Kinda. It was well done, but hard for me to say as I have never been moved to that extreme when reading a comic. That is not a joke or a slam at those that do, for I have certainly gotten angry as hell at them so there is emotion that hits me. Heck, it would sure be nice if I could get another, different emotion going like that. I would love to take sorrow or sadness over vile disgust or apathy.
 Cheesy

I think the closest I ever came to having a comic hit me that way, that I can recall right now, is that Silver Surfer Requiem story by JMS from about 10 years or so ago. I can't remember what issue it was (out of the four) that punch me in the gut, but punch it did. Man that was a good emotional book for me. Now I still didn't shed water from my eyes, but that is as close as I think I ever came to being moved in that direction by a comic ... sadly
 Undecided

EDIT - just popped over to MU to check on that mini (and they do have it,. so if you haven't read it, well ...) and I forgot that Esad Ribic did the art!!! Just another reason it may have hit me the way it did.
 Smiley Cool
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:15:13 PM by Perry » Logged

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »

The only comic to gut punch me like that was The Walking Dead and Kirkman did it twice.  The first one when Lori and Judith died and then again when Glenn died.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »

I can understand that, but I fall into a little different crowd with WD.

Lori's was very well done, utter chaos like it was, but I never feel for her as a character for some reason. No idea why. Now my lack of feelings towards her in the comic was nowhere close to the "meh" I felt towards her TV version  Cheesy, but I was more blown away by the sheer number of people that bought it in that same issue. Just, wow.

With Glen, I was almost out of the series by then anyway, barely holding on, so it didn't have the same effect it would have had had it been about 40 issues earlier.
 Grin

However, even still I can certainly see how those two characters could really get ya ... or most people even.
Kinda cool it was Kirkman that got you both times, too.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 01:58:12 PM »

I read this last night and it is good but not “tear” worthy in my opinion.

Quick comment on Perry’s spoiler...

Having just re-read the 70’s Adventure Comics arc where Earth-2 Batman died I can safely say it’s not that Batman as he died in battle.  But I would agree it’s definitely an homage to that era Batman.  Maybe it’s just a possible future and doesn’t really matter as far as continuity is concerned.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »

I read this last night and it is good but not “tear” worthy in my opinion.

Quick comment on Perry’s spoiler...

Having just re-read the 70’s Adventure Comics arc where Earth-2 Batman died I can safely say it’s not that Batman as he died in battle.  But I would agree it’s definitely an homage to that era Batman.  Maybe it’s just a possible future and doesn’t really matter as far as continuity is concerned.

I forgot about that ... the how he died thing. I just remember that cover.  Smiley One of my favorite two issues at the time was that comic and the one ... ummm ... before or after (I forget now. Must go look)
 Grin

EDIT - Actually it was three comics that I had that I loved back then. Adventure Comics issue #s 461, 462 and 463. I really remember THIS cover though.

And Jeff, but what if this new Rebirth changes all that?  Wink But I think he also died in a different fashion in new 52 yeah?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:07:26 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »

EDIT - Actually it was three comics that I had that I loved back then. Adventure Comics issue #s 461, 462 and 463. I really remember THIS cover though.

And Jeff, but what if this new Rebirth changes all that?  Wink But I think he also died in a different fashion in new 52 yeah?

Yes anything is definitely possible in this new world.  Of course, this universes Earth 2 Batman dies fighting Darkseid.  Unless THAT changed with Rebirth.  I’M SO CONFUSED!!

Yep - those are Adventure issues I just re-read! Great classic stories!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »

I’M SO CONFUSED!!

Right? Gotta love modern comics and the reboot/relaunch/soft-reboot/hard-reboot/combat boots/refresh/re-tool/re-numbering/re-imagining/revamping/remaking/pre-order/reorder/multiple cover era, yeah?
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 03:01:18 AM »

I cried at the end of 'Pride of Baghdad', and again with Saga (damn you BKV!!) ( it was the Daddy daddy daddy thing)

and just recently again with Captain Marvel (2002).

If I go check my trades shelf, I think I can find more. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS