HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:47:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN  (Read 9298 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: September 28, 2017, 01:03:45 AM »

You know, I should love this book.

Slott runs tons of subplots, layering and buidling them in the background, 2-3 pages at a time in each issue. Buidling up what Ock and Osborn are doing. Black Cat and her schemes. Tying into his own big events and such. Old plots and events continue to layer from the past to now. This is what I loved about all those Roger Stern and very, very early 90's comics spread through 3 titles.

So why don't I love this title and writer?!?!

Because he always falls flat. His final delivery of stories is poor. They fizzle more than anything. I don't care for millionaire Parker and his global industries. I don't like Peter Parker; he doesn't listen to others, he doesn't take counsel with others, he runs roughshod over people in his way, he's a dope!

He's also very unoriginal now with Miles, Gwen, Kaine, and Ben running around.

I wish I was interested in this more...but I'm just not. And that makes me sad.

Especially with Slott sticking around for a lot longer.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:51:42 PM »

Currently, for me, Slott is on yet another high crest with his ever lasting Spider-Man Wave Writing style. The apex almost always following after yet another shallow trough, in a long history of ups and downs. His writing of Spidey is like looking at an Electromagnetic Radiation graph.
"Oh man, this good", "Oh this is bad", "Oh hell yeah"," WTF?", ...

I think if you look at my history with Slott since he has been on Spidey (and his She-Hulk run as well) that is almost precisely what you will see.

I have enjoyed the last couple of issues. Those being the "Legacy" numbered ones ... which that being something I will not even talk about here.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 02:18:17 AM »

Is this Slott’s 50th or 60th year of writing Spider-Man?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:01:01 AM »

Is this Slott’s 50th or 60th year of writing Spider-Man?

I did have to comment to this

"HA!! That's awesome!!" Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »

Still having some issue laying around, I decided to catch up on the newest Amazing series, so I sat down and read issues one through 5. This was a classic retelling of
the body split trope, made famous, to me, in The Enemy Within Evil episode of STTOS with the "evil" Kirk and the overly emotional Kirk fight for control of their body or at least their right to live apart.
Having just seen that episode again not too long ago, I think it both made the story more impactful but also made it seem very repetitive to something I just saw. Because I did just see it. I will say it was well done, I suppose, but certainly not what I would expect from a first arc. Just too ... normal? I mean as a story it is ... just another version of a often used trope. Ya know?

Also, while I really liked the art by Ryan Ottley on Invincible, even with its sharp edges (I style I usually don't love) it fit well into the story. Here I find while I do love the look of Spider-Man himself (he looks very cool with the physical shape and actions) the rest of the gang, the non-costumed peeps, look off to me. Not sure why. I like Ottley, I do, but ... Something is just not hitting here for me, for some reason. His Spider-Man is pretty neat though, again.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »

Picked up issue #75 as a jumping on point.
Who else is still reading this? Jimmy? Perry?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 02:10:10 AM »

3 months behind with Unlimited, but I am!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 02:50:22 AM »

I dropped out on it a few issues back.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »

Man, I can't remember the last issue I read. It was awhile back.

Oh, I think it was right after that Great Hunt arc (or whatever that was called. Ya know, with the... hunting thing? Ha, trying not to give too much away as I don't remember when that was)
 Cheesy

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 08:29:36 PM »

I picked up #76 last night. I am going to try the first arc with Ben Reilly as Spider-man.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 10:03:29 PM »

I know it sounds mean but I like Peter comatose. I haven't read this title in a decade (literally, a decade) and it's fun, fresh and I like the characters. Not a fan of it being weekly but winter is coming. I tend to hibernate, stockpile books and read at home.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 08:36:20 PM »

Gotta say I am rather bummed that this series is ending. We don't need another #1 and I am not impressed with John Romita Jr's work.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 06:58:02 PM »

I'm slowly coming around on Romita's new (has had for years now) boxier, blocky style... even though I more enjoy his "clone of his father style" so much more (Contest of Champions era), but when you see shit like this, the cover to this new relaunch, it just leaves me scratching my head as if to say
"What in the hell you lazy ass hack?"

I only hope J.R.jr is sick and/or is having vision problems because there is no excuse for this crap.
Spidey's leg is obviously broken or at the very least suffering from a Mr. Fantastic "Bendy Appendage Ray". And Spidey must have also stopped by the local novelty shop, where he limped in through the door (as his leg could in no way support his frame), to get him a pair of those Groucho Marx eyeglasses with the fluffy eye brows before swinging away. That is what Romita is trying to express here, yeah?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 09:26:55 PM »

Spider-man 75

So, this ended all of Nick Spencer's work on Spider-man.

Which was a rather....really REALLY just a bit more than OKAY run. Honestly, that's what I can say about.

What I can say I LOVED was that he, as a fan, as he has said in interviews, fixed one of the gravest, worst, editorial nonsense bullshit pieces in Spidey's history that had to be railroaded and wedged in by Quesada when JMS said 'nuh uh!' to the original idea.

What am I referencing? That Gwen Stacy slept with Norman Osborn and had twins with him that grew up to be hateful goblins against Peter. Now, I think JMS should have never had even the story filter around, because I read Quesada tried to push through it was PETER'S twin children, taken in by Norman, and accelerated to adulthood and twisted against Peter to be goblins.

That....all that...is horseshit bad stories. Just bad. Terrible!

Spencer spent the payoff of his arc to fix that travesty, and give back the death of Harry Osborn into the universe and keep that ending sacrosanct, as it were. And all this continues to fall at the feet of the devil Mephisto, and the stolen marriage, but hey, at least Peter and MJ are together, and hey, we'll read where this goes from here!

I'm curious about seeing Ben back in the costume, but man, is he changed since his continued death and resurrections at the Horizon company. Wait, is that right? I don't know, something like that. But I'm mega curious about it.

Seeing Romita JR back....Not interested to see that. Not anymore. Flat faced, doughy knuckles, horrible jointed, poor foreshortened limbs and ugly rendering is not what brings this title back to #1. Get Pepe Larraz on this title; he's done enough Avengers and X-men stuff; he's fast, and hasn't done a monthly Spidey book, and I"d love to see it, to be honest!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS