HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:24:53 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August 30, 2017  (Read 11108 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 29, 2017, 01:15:18 AM »

Getting another jump on the week since I finished up early.

Marvel Unlimited
Extraordinary X-Men 19
Inhumans vs X-Men 5
Champions 1.1
Thunderbolts 10
Infamous Iron-Man 5
Uncanny Avengers 20
Hulk 3
Thanks 4
Elektra 1

Comixology
Aquaman 26
Aquaman 27
Detective 950
Detective 951
Detective 952
Detective 953
Detective 954
Detective 955
Detective 956
The Dying & The Dead 1
The Dying & The Dead 2
The Dying & The Dead 3
The Dying & The Dead 4
ROM 1
ROM 2
ROM 3
ROM 4
ROM 5
ROM 6
ROM 7
ROM Annual 2017
ROM 8
ROM 9
ROM 10
Weapon X 1
Deathstroke 12
Deathstroke 13
Deathstroke 14
Deathstroke 15
Deathstroke 16
Deathstroke 17
Deathstroke 18
Titans 7
Titans 8
Titans 9
Titans Annual 1
Titans 10
Lazarus Contract
  Titans #11
  Teen Titans #8
  Deathstroke #19
  Teen Titans Annual: The Lazarus Contract #1
  Deathstroke #20

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:00:01 AM »

Whoops; repost!! Wink

Already hitting my

Unlimited Reading
Amazing Spider-man 24- Epilogue part 1 of the ho hum Clone Conspiracy. *ho hum*
Spider-woman 16 A Deux Ex Machina to finish the fight only barely irks me. As much as I really love the run of this Jessica under Hopeless' writing, her and Roger would fully get their @ss kicked by the original Hobgoblin. Hell, Peter had his butt handed to him more often than not by Hobby.

Captain America: Steve Rogers 12

Uncanny Avengers 20

Infamous Iron Man 5

I v X 5 (honestly, at this point, I don't even know why Grin )

Thanos 4  (because, THANOS!!!)

Hulk 3 (okay, I'd like this issue pick up juuuuust a bit more please!!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my prior post I also reread Infinity War, and Infinity Crusade. Each one got a bit ...poorer the further away it was from 'Gauntlet.' But man, Crusade...that was damned poor.

I was glad to see that many YEARS later, Starlin returned to better form with Infinity Abyss and the original Thanos series that followed.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »

Marvel done!

Marvel Unlimited
Extraordinary X-Men 19
Inhumans vs X-Men 5
Champions 1.1
Thunderbolts 10
Infamous Iron-Man 5
Uncanny Avengers 20
Hulk 3
Thanks 4
Elektra 1

Comixology
Aquaman 26
Aquaman 27
Detective 950
Detective 951
Detective 952
Detective 953
Detective 954
Detective 955
Detective 956
The Dying & The Dead 1
The Dying & The Dead 2
The Dying & The Dead 3
The Dying & The Dead 4
ROM 1
ROM 2
ROM 3
ROM 4
ROM 5
ROM 6
ROM 7
ROM Annual 2017
ROM 8
ROM 9
ROM 10
Weapon X 1
Deathstroke 12
Deathstroke 13
Deathstroke 14
Deathstroke 15
Deathstroke 16
Deathstroke 17
Deathstroke 18
Titans 7
Titans 8
Titans 9
Titans Annual 1
Titans 10
Lazarus Contract
  Titans #11
  Teen Titans #8
  Deathstroke #19
  Deathstroke #20

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:01:19 AM »

Moving along.  Three day weekend should give me plenty of reading time.

Marvel Unlimited
Extraordinary X-Men 19
Inhumans vs X-Men 5
Champions 1.1
Thunderbolts 10
Infamous Iron-Man 5
Uncanny Avengers 20
Hulk 3
Thanks 4
Elektra 1

Comixology
Aquaman 26
Aquaman 27
Detective 950
Detective 951
Detective 952
Detective 953
Detective 954
Detective 955
Detective 956
The Dying & The Dead 1
The Dying & The Dead 2

The Dying & The Dead 3
The Dying & The Dead 4
ROM 1
ROM 2
ROM 3
ROM 4
ROM 5
ROM 6
ROM 7
ROM Annual 2017
ROM 8
ROM 9
ROM 10
Weapon X 1
Deathstroke 12
Deathstroke 13
Deathstroke 14
Deathstroke 15
Deathstroke 16
Deathstroke 17
Deathstroke 18
Titans 7
Titans 8
Titans 9
Titans Annual 1
Titans 10
Lazarus Contract
  Titans #11
  Teen Titans #8
  Deathstroke #19
  Deathstroke #20

The Dying and the Dead is a nice surprise. Although it shouldn't be a surprise considering it's Hickman.  Good book and I'm getting sucked in.

Detective 950-956 was not as interesting an arc as previous ones.  Still in to find out what happened to Tim.  Hopefully this was just a slower story and not the norm.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:06:42 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:15:32 AM »

Just wait until you see all the Deadpool and Wolverine I've been reading!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »

This week is going waaay tooo fast -
 Cheesy

World Reader #5 - What I thought was the last issue, but seems there is one more to go.
Letter 44 #1 - Pushing the art aside, which for some reason I just don't take to, this was pretty good. I like that it took its time, didn't rush the story and let it flow. That means not much happened, but that is fine. I enjoy books that are paced properly and as long as the dialog and structure are strong, I am okay. This is the case here. My only complaint, other than the art, is the name of the President. It just doesn't sound ... right. President Blades? Must be a friend of Soule's? Maybe? But hey, that is not a big deal, at all, it just sounds more like a sports star than a president.
 Cheesy
Anyway, I have 3 more issues, and then I am off to the LCS for treasure hunt mode. Although with the amount of reading I am getting done lately that will be a year from now.
 Cheesy

Cry Cry Cry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »

Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth (2009) 5-13

Prelude to Deadpool Corps(2010) 1-5

Deadpool Corps (2010) 1-4

Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War (2010) 1,4

Deadpool (2008) 22-26

Wolverine: Origins (2006) 11-38

I v X #5 Oh god, why.....

Unlimited Reading
Amazing Spider-man 24- Epilogue part 1 of the ho hum Clone Conspiracy. *ho hum*
Spider-woman 16 A Deux Ex Machina to finish the fight only barely irks me. As much as I really love the run of this Jessica under Hopeless' writing, her and Roger would fully get their @ss kicked by the original Hobgoblin. Hell, Peter had his butt handed to him more often than not by Hobby.

Captain America: Steve Rogers 12 An incredibly stupid plan with Taskmaster and Black Ant. WTF

Uncanny Avengers 20 YES. Cable coming up!!!

Infamous Iron Man 5
A very good issue. Not sure if I like destroying the memory that is established of Doom's mother, but whatever is the theme at Marvel these days.

Thanos 4  (because, THANOS!!!) Love me Thanos!!

Hulk 3 (okay, I'd like this issue pick up juuuuust a bit more please!!
I'm amazed at my patience with this title. Must be because it's written well, eh? Still, pick up juuuuuuuust a bit more...yet?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:03:53 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »

Infamous Iron Man 5[/color]A very good issue. Not sure if I like destroying the memory that is established of Doom's mother, but whatever is the theme at Marvel these days.

I'm thinking that maybe
she is going to be the Mom of the ultimate universe Doom pretending to be our Dooms Mom.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 01:09:17 AM »

Infamous Iron Man 5[/color]A very good issue. Not sure if I like destroying the memory that is established of Doom's mother, but whatever is the theme at Marvel these days.

I'm thinking that maybe
she is going to be the Mom of the ultimate universe Doom pretending to be our Dooms Mom.

I wonder.

But, somehow, I rather doubt it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »

World Reader #5
Letter 44 #1

The Wildstorm #3
The Wildstorm #4
The Wildstorm #5
The Wildstorm #6
- This is just another title that proves we are reading this books in the wrong manner. Much like all of Europe and most British writers (especially Moore), I am a huge proponent of putting comics in the collected format first. get about 125 to 140 pages of comic greatness, bind them together, put them in book stores and wipe Diamond off the face of the Earth. Most comics just read soooo much better when you can read them in large chunks,

I read issue #1 of this and it was okay
I read issue #2 of this, a month later, and it was also just okay
I just read 4 issues in a row and this book just explodes for me. The story comes to life so much better in larger chunks.  Heck, While I am eager to read issue $6, I think I will just wait and read this when another 5 issues are out again.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 03:21:43 AM »

I'm slowly getting there.

Marvel Unlimited
Extraordinary X-Men 19
Inhumans vs X-Men 5
Champions 1.1
Thunderbolts 10
Infamous Iron-Man 5
Uncanny Avengers 20
Hulk 3
Thanks 4
Elektra 1

Comixology
Aquaman 26
Aquaman 27
Detective 950
Detective 951
Detective 952
Detective 953
Detective 954
Detective 955
Detective 956
The Dying & The Dead 1
The Dying & The Dead 2
The Dying & The Dead 3
The Dying & The Dead 4
ROM 1
ROM 2
ROM 3
ROM 4

ROM 5
ROM 6
ROM 7
ROM Annual 2017
ROM 8
ROM 9
ROM 10
Weapon X 1
Deathstroke 12
Deathstroke 13
Deathstroke 14
Deathstroke 15
Deathstroke 16
Deathstroke 17
Deathstroke 18
Titans 7
Titans 8
Titans 9
Titans Annual 1
Titans 10
Lazarus Contract
  Titans #11
  Teen Titans #8
  Deathstroke #19
  Deathstroke #20

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »

Get going Jeff!

For me:

Wolverine Origins 39-50
Dark Wolverine 84-86 (tie-in issues)

Finished this stuff. Wow. And I wrote waay to much about it. Smiley

Now on to my Deadpool treatise as well!! Or, what I like to think of "Where Marvel really went off the rails with Deadpool"

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »

A couple more and a comment or two

World Reader #5
The Normals #1 - Another Aftershock comic and another I am going to read more about
Letter 44 #1
Letter 44 #2
- So I got another issue of 44 in. Thanks Jeff. Thanks for "pushing this" on me.  Wink
The art is becoming ... less distracting (I guess) and while the story is moving along pretty slowly, I am loving it as it is the perfect pace for this story. It is like a Bendis book with more "driving the story" information  Grin (Not to scare Jimmy off  Cheesy). What I mean is while, so far, it takes me a long time to read each issue as there is so much text to read, that text, that time is vital for this story. And it isn't really THAT much text. It is loaded, but not like some Claremont stuff.
 Cheesy
No, Soule does a great job here in covering most of everything that "we" would need to think about. Soule is marinating the meat while the grill gets hot, getting that flavor right, not just throwing the steak on fire.  Grin
Think about how slow the movie Alien was during the first act. It was perfectly slow. And while I am not saying this is as good as that example, this title is pretty darn good as well, so far.
So yeah, thanks.
 Smiley

The Wildstorm #3
The Wildstorm #4
The Wildstorm #5
The Wildstorm #6

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »

Letter 44 #1
Letter 44 #2
- So I got another issue of 44 in. Thanks Jeff. Thanks for "pushing this" on me.  Wink
The art is becoming ... less distracting (I guess) and while the story is moving along pretty slowly, I am loving it as it is the perfect pace for this story. It is like a Bendis book with more "driving the story" information  Grin (Not to scare Jimmy off  Cheesy). What I mean is while, so far, it takes me a long time to read each issue as there is so much text to read, that text, that time is vital for this story. And it isn't really THAT much text. It is loaded, but not like some Claremont stuff.
 Cheesy
No, Soule does a great job here in covering most of everything that "we" would need to think about. Soule is marinating the meat while the grill gets hot, getting that flavor right, not just throwing the steak on fire.  Grin
Think about how slow the movie Alien was during the first act. It was perfectly slow. And while I am not saying this is as good as that example, this title is pretty darn good as well, so far.
So yeah, thanks.
 Smiley

Glad to hear your liking it and only two issues in.  The payoff really hits around issue 22-27 (Vol 4 in Trade).  The stuff before is still good but I think if you stay with it you will enjoy.  Oh geez - I hope I'm not buidling it up too much and causing it to fall flat for you.   Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »

Oh geez - I hope I'm not buidling it up too much and causing it to fall flat for you.   Undecided

You are
 Wink

I'm sure it will be fine  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS