HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:59:46 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - August 23, 2017  (Read 9116 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 11:48:44 PM »

A few more knocked out. No DC or Marvel yet this week
 Smiley

Kill or Be Killed #10
Kill or Be Killed #11

Redneck #2
Redneck #3
Redneck #4

Redneck #5
Black Hammer #11
Black Hammer #12

Incidentals #1
Regression #2
Regression #3
Regression #4
Motor Girl #8
- Only two more issues to go and as sad as I am about that, I think it is time
Planetoid: Praxis #1 - Not what I was hoping for so ... yay, I don't have to finish  Cheesy
Unholy Grail #2 - Loving this Cullen Bunn re-imagining of King Arthur. Merlin is great.
World Reader #1 - Like Unholy Grail, another "Aftershock" published comic. I like this as well. It is about an astronaut that goes from world to world (along with other archaeologist types) discovering about each planet's life forms history by talking to the ghosts of each world. But on this last planet, all the voices are gone except for one and then suddenly, that ghost also goes silent and we see what happened to it ... and all the others. Kinda like an evil Galactus type of alien only ... different. Haha. Yeah, I liked this. This is about 5 or 6 Aftershock comics that I am getting into.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:03:17 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 01:17:48 AM »

DC Comics
Superman 28
Superman 29
Aquaman 27
Wonder Woman 28
Hal & GLC 26
Deathstroke 22
Action 985
Green Arrow 28 & 29

I believe I've discussed all these in the other individual forums, so no need for quick thoughts here.

Unlimited
Gamora 3
Spider-man 13
Mighty Thor 16
Captain America Steve Rogers 11
Daredevil 17
Old Man Logan 18
Captain America Sam Wilson 19
Doctor Strange 17
Clone Conspiracy 5
USAvengers 3
Invincible Iron Man 4
Ultimates 2 4

On the Caps' titles...in 'Steve' sorry, a bit too long and getting dragged out. Why? So the whole of Marvel can switch into 'mega event storyline' mode. This story isn't even spinning it's wheels anymore; it's simply waiting for the tow truck that is Secret Empire.

Meanwhile, in 'Sam', I am most annoyed at the patheticness that Spencer decides to portray Rage's trial. This kind of bull**** trial action is the same as Bendis' railroaded White Tiger trial arc from his Daredevil run. Ham fisted, untrue to the actual legal proceedings, and done in such a fashion to make a 'result' that is the best answer you want for your stories conclusion. Weak and pathetic writing with this.

Old Man Logan...at times, I feel like this title is simply 'pretty good' but not always something I want to get back to. Why? I'm reading Daniel Way's 'Wolverine Origin' title, and man, just reading regular ol'Logan seems like the thing I'd rather do.

Invincible Iron Man - I have no ...strong opinion on this title. I'd never pay direct money out of pocket for this title, I certainly don't mind right now reading it now on Unlimited, but I just don't feel...anything for it. OH, wait, I do. I think the Tony AI really annoys me.

Ultimates2-oh yeah baby, I love me some of this!!!

The rest I discussed elsewheres in threads.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 01:29:25 AM »

What I've been busy with other the last 4 days:

Power Man & Iron Fist 59-65
Ah, the good ol' days. Did you know? (you didn't) that I didn't know Danny's chi power only could come through his hands (I swore I saw kicks and stuff with energy blasts), but more over, I didn't realize it tired him out so, or that he couldn't use his chi power with every single punch he did? Also, man, Misty must have had a robot arm damn near from her very first appearance! That happened a long time ago!

Captain Marvel 15-18 (2000)
Because I love rereading my Genis Vell stories!!

Wolverine Origins 1-7
Because I had an urge to (in this order): Read Steve Dillon illustrated comics after his death Sad, read stories with the 'real' Logan to me, and wait, I think I like Daniel Way alot!!
Suffice to say, I'm enjoying this reading. Logan has regained all his memories at some point just prior to this title starting, so that is the ride for this title. I'm onboard right now! It goes for 50 issues!

Deadpool 1-21 (2008), Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth 1-3
Annnnnd as I've said, I became a Deadpool fan. This series begins its numbering during the Secret Invasion times, and hey, it's this Daniel Way guy!! I've really enjoyed reading this, as Way continues the silly, sweet, sacchirine, and deadly times of Wade W. Wilson in the same vein that Fabian was writing him just 6 months ago. Some good art from Paco Medina and Barberi all the way, too, so I really can't complain!

However, it's during this 2008-2010 time period that 2 other DP titles start: Merc with a Mouth (12 issues), and Corps (10 issues I think). I think MWAM is rebooted to another numbering system, as is 'DP' title, and I think there is something else after that with 'Team up' and some other stuff. So, yeah, with so much stuff going on...I'm not sure all will be quality, so I'll see what title I eventually end up following.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 03:59:26 AM »

Whew! Another list bites the dust!

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Avengers 13
Uncanny Avengers 14
Uncanny Avengers 15
Uncanny Avengers 16
Uncanny Avengers 17
Star Wars: Darth Maul 1
Star Wars 28
Karnak 6
Hawkeye 3
Unworthy Thor 4
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 4
Kingpin 1
Inhumans vs X-Men 4
Invincible Iron-Man 4
Daredevil 17
Old Man Logan 18
Uncanny X-Men 18
Uncanny Inhumans 19
Spider-Man 13
Mighty Thor 16
Doctor Strange 17
Ultimates 2 #4
Star Wars: Poe Dameron 11

ADD: Nova 1
ADD: Nova 2
ADD: Nova 3
ADD: Uncanny Avengers 18
ADD: Uncanny Avengers 19
ADD: Bullseye 1

ComiXology
Dark Nights: Metal 1
Mister Miracle 1
Image Plus 16 - Negan origin conclusion
Saga 44
Jupiter's Legacy Vol 2 #5
Divinity III: Aric, Son of the Revolution 1
Divinity III: Escape from Gulag 396 #1
Divinity III: Komandar Bloodshot 1
Divinity III: Shadowman and the Battle for New Stalingrad 1
Divinity III: Stalinverse 1
Divinity III: Stalinverse 2
Divinity III: Stalinverse 3
Divinity III: Stalinverse 4
Letter 44 TPB Vol 4 - Collects issues 22-27
ADD: Letter 44 #21 - for some reason this issue isn't included in Vol 3 or Vol 4 of the collected tpbs
ADD: Letter 44 #28
ADD: Letter 44 #29
ADD: Letter 44 #30
ADD: Letter 44 #31
ADD: Letter 44 #32
ADD: Letter 44 #33
ADD: Letter 44 #34
ADD: Letter 44 #35
Cable 1
Generation X 1
Iceman 1
Jean Grey 1
X-Men: Blue 1
X-Men: Gold 1

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 01:21:20 AM »

Nothing like my compatriots' reading, but still making progress.
(I like sticking totally to non-big two reading ... need to do more of that)

Kill or Be Killed #10
Kill or Be Killed #11

Redneck #2
Redneck #3
Redneck #4

Redneck #5
Black Hammer #11
Black Hammer #12

Incidentals #1
Regression #2
Regression #3
Regression #4
Motor Girl #8

Planetoid: Praxis #1
Unholy Grail #2
World Reader #1
World Reader #2
World Reader #3
World Reader #4
Unsound #1
Unsound #2
Unsound #3
- An interested, but slow asylum type horror book that I think I am gonna skip, for now at least.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:57:33 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 01:57:51 AM »

Already hitting my

Unlimited Reading
Amazing Spider-man 24- Epilogue part 1 of the ho hum Clone Conspiracy. *ho hum*
Spider-woman 16 A Deux Ex Machina to finish the fight only barely irks me. As much as I really love the run of this Jessica under Hopeless' writing, her and Roger would fully get their @ss kicked by the original Hobgoblin. Hell, Peter had his butt handed to him more often than not by Hobby.
Captain America: Steve Rogers 12
Uncanny Avengers 20
Infamous Iron Man 5
I v X 5 (honestly, at this point, I don't even know why Grin )
Thanos 4  (because, THANOS!!!)
Hulk 3 (okay, I'd like this issue pick up juuuuust a bit more please!!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my prior post I also reread Infinity War, and Infinity Crusade. Each one got a bit ...poorer the further away it was from 'Gauntlet.' But man, Crusade...that was damned poor.

I was glad to see that many YEARS later, Starlin returned to better form with Infinity Abyss and the original Thanos series that followed.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »

I v X 5 (honestly, at this point, I don't even know why Grin )

You are just rubber-necking the horrific accident now, my man.
 Cheesy

Oh yeah, forgot to mention in my prior post I also reread Infinity War, and Infinity Crusade. Each one got a bit ...poorer the further away it was from 'Gauntlet.' But man, Crusade...that was damned poor.

I never read Crusade as I left comics around the time it hit and then was warned off of it on my eventual return to comics. Is that something, as bad as it is, I need to experience at some point or is the bad a bad that is best left alone entirely, ya think?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 01:10:18 AM »

I never read Crusade as I left comics around the time it hit and then was warned off of it on my eventual return to comics. Is that something, as bad as it is, I need to experience at some point or is the bad a bad that is best left alone entirely, ya think?

Oh man Perry, yeah, just leave it alone! Never touch it! As far as 'War' is concerned, the Magus was at least used again and again here and there-he was just too good!

No one mentions 'Crusade' and Warlock's Goddess alter-self. It's that worthless.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS