HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:35:34 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cover of the Week - August 23, 2017  (Read 2285 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 18, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »

Trying to get an early start for these.

As always, the gist first -

---------------------------------------------

I am going to try ... TRY and pick one DC, one Marvel and one (maybe two) covers from the other publishers as my favorite each week. Although some weeks I will throw out some covers that I find deserve a little shout-out, I will not consider any cover, no matter how well done or impactful, past the first variant. I think variants are fine, up to a point and that point is one. So no matter how good it may be, if it is the third, fourth or fiftieth variant I will not post it.

Also please note that all images are owned by their respected companies!!!  Smiley

---------------------------------------------

Lots of good covers this week. Lots. Pretty ones like Jim Lee's KAMANDI CHALLENGE #8 to Mike McKone's RED SONJA #8 to covers that just looked cool like both covers to PLASTIC #5 and SHIRTLESS BEAR FIGHTER and Clayton Crain's WAR MOTHER #1, to covers that tie-in together like all four BUBBLE GUN #4 covers (that remind me of early Invincible), all the way to ones that I just want to look at more like that Thor and Thor GENERATIONS cover and the Judge Death dissolve in JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE #386, but only few make the pick this week and they are -

DC - Again, I really like covers to grab me. Pretty covers are fine (like the aforementioned Kamandi cover), but I want a cover to grab my eyes and make me grab it. Make me want to, at the very least, skim through it. This weeks DC pick did that. This is not "pretty", but this, yeah, this got me, I want to open this book with that Neil Googe cover.

Flash #29 "B" cover variant

Marvel - Let's be honest, Marvel (and DC) are not likely to push the envelope with covers. Especially not in their regular or "B" cover, but sometimes you don't need strange visuals or ground breaking artistic styles to get your eyes tingling. Sometimes it is just good old fashioned fighty fight covers. This weeks Marvel, by Mark Bagley gives me that.

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #6

Others - This is a week were I just can't pick one cover by the "other" publishers. It was really hard just picking the two I did. However, I do have another one after my picks that I just love the look of, with its simplicity, that I had to share. But first, my picks.

The first one is just from my old love. Conan was MY Marvel book for many a month at one point in my life. I loved both the Savage Sword and Conan's monthly every time it hit my hands. That love was usually just because of the art inside and this cover brings so many of those artists styles back for me. The look of John and Sal Buscema can be seen here as well as some Ernie Chua (or Chan as he was sometimes called), some Ruby Nubres and the great Barry Windsor-Smith. If I look harder I could probably find more ... just in the one pic by artist Dheeraj Verman. I like this so much that I am tempted to go back and start this title where this artist first came on.

Conan the Slayer #12

My final cover of the week and the second "other", is also based on love. I really shouldn't let me love a series influence my picks, but I just can't help myself here. This title has so many Easter Eggs in each issue it is amazing and that is only part of why this is one of the best comics going right now. This cover also just ... so much homage to the past. Just look at it. So old school, so great. Guest artist David Rubin knows this book

Black Hammer #12

finally, just a cover I like. One that is so simple in style and design that I think will draw a reader or two

Josie and the Pussycats #9

As you can see, I stayed pretty simplistic this week. I must be in a mood as none of the covers above scream major artistic accomplishment, but each and every one hit me for some reason.

I do hope next week offers more dynamic covers, but I can't complain about this weeks options. Peace and let me know if you had your own!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 02:30:56 AM »

Flash and Conan are really cool picks!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »

I really like the Flash cover!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS