HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:12:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cover of the Week - August 16, 2017  (Read 3042 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 15, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »

A little harder to pick covers this week, except for Marvel which had virtually nothing that grabbed my attention enough to entice my to buy the comic, based on the cover alone. And that my friends is what is needed to sell comics to people who don't buy comics.

Once again, I am going to try ... TRY to pick one DC, one Marvel and one (maybe two) covers from the other publishers as my favorite each week. Although some weeks I will throw out some covers that I find deserve a little talking about.

Please note that all images are owned by their respected companies!!!

Okay, let's hit this one.

DC - An easy one here, for me at least  Wink even though DC had some great covers this week (which I will show some later). But this one, my pick for this week, was done by one of my favorite artists (Stjepan Sejic) with a stellar cover of a very powerful character that is sadly relegated to "B character" status most times.

Aquaman #27

Marvel - Yeah, not much here this week for me ... at all, so while I picked this, I would have just preferred to use another DC cover.  Cheesy Still not a "bad" cover by Jesus Saiz, its nice in-fact, but nothing that would, again, make me stop and say "I have to buy this" if I didn't already want to buy it.

Spider-Men II #2 (B cover)

Other - Time for a Titan as Titan Publishing's Hercules makes an appearance this week. I have never heard of this artist "Looky", but when I saw this cover it damn sure made me do just that. Not only did Herc's helmet strike me, the tat across his back also tapped me on the shoulder and then I was slapped in the face by the ... space ships? Now I am not trying to compare, but man I do remember my love for Marvel's alternate universe Herc in space (Thanks Layton) and so I may just have to read this. The cover has me, that's for sure..

Hercules: Wrath of the Heavens #1

And finally, and once again, I bring you two DC covers from the same issue that I found so damn pleasing I just can't express the amount. A great cartoon hero of mine (and many) from my youth is returning ... again. The first, the "A" cover, by Ariel Olivetti, has such a great structure to it, highlighting without being obtrusive, the sidekicks Jan & Jace (and of course Blip) while the "B" cover is a nice cover with amazing colors drawn by the fantastic Steve Rude.

Future Quest Presents #1

And finally, this week just wouldn't be complete without my second choice for DC's cover of the week, Dustin Nguyen's "B" cover that is just having fun!!!

Super Sons #7

Ohhhh screw it. Speaking of fun, I just can't resist posting another cover that my eyes drew towards, due to the color, and then put a smile across my face when I actually looked at it. Of course then a frown developed when I realized that there will only be two more covers coming from Terry Moore as this series is ending at issue ten.

Motor Girl #8

TESTING below with a cover that just missed out this week...
Trying to see if I can go a little bigger with the images.
Hope this works

Oh yeah ...
that is what I will use next week.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:28:49 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »

DC - An easy one here, for me at least  Wink even though DC had some great covers this week (which I will show some later). But this one, my pick for this week, was done by one of my favorite artists (Stjepan Sejic) with a stellar cover of a very powerful character that is sadly relegated to "B character" status most times.

Aquaman #27

Seconded.  Both the vote on the cover and the comment on the character. 

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »

Aquaman #27

Seconded.  Both the vote on the cover and the comment on the character.  

I KNEW that one would be on your list.  (It's really a no-brainer)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:26:55 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »

So Aquaman 27.  Did they change?  That cover doesn't show up for issue 27 on any of the online stores today.

Edit:  I see now.  That's actually the cover for issue 26.  They must have reused it as a place holder until the real comic came out today.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:36:51 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »

So Aquaman 27.  Did they change?  That cover doesn't show up for issue 27 on any of the online stores today.

Edit:  I see now.  That's actually the cover for issue 26.  They must have reused it as a place holder until the real comic came out today.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

DAMN IT!!! Yeah, they must have done that. I thought it looked familiar  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ummm... I meant that Super Sons cover is my pick of the week for DC, that is what I meant.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:28:00 AM »

I was...curious about all that with Aquaman's Mera cover. I just let it slide. Perry seemed so happy, I didn't want to interrupt. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS