HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:24:59 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - June 28, 2017  (Read 8300 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 28, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »

The list looks small because I've got four Trades in there.  That's a lot of collected comics.  But since I go on vacation next week there's a good chance I'll do a LOT of reading this weekend as well as Monday & Tuesday.   Grin

Marvel Unlimited
Champions 1
Infamous Iron Man 1
The Unworthy Thor 1
Champions 2
Avengers 1
Invincible Iron Man 1
Avengers 1.1
Thanos 1
Squadron Supreme 13
Infamous Iron Man 2
Ultimates 2 #1
Inhumans vs X-Men 0

ComiXology
Nailbiter Vol 2: Bloody Hands - Collects #6-10
Action Comics Vol 2: Welcome to the Planet - Collecting #963-966 and an introductory tale from JUSTICE LEAGUE #52
Detective Comics Vol 2: The Victim Syndicate - Collects #943-949
Red Hood & the Outlaws Vol 1: Dark Trinity - Collects #1-6
Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps 11
Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps 12
Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps 13
Image Plus 15

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:46:56 PM »

Got through a couple last night and went to the LCS today to both read a couple and "swipe" a couple more.  Cheesy

Aliens: Defiance #11
Aliens: Defiance #12
- A great run, with a less than stellar last issue, but still could make a hell of a movie!!!
Black Hammer #10 - For a book that has little to no action, there seems to be so much going on
 Cheesy

Also, I have not read it yet but Marvel really screwed the pooch with the latest X-Men Blue #6. Ya know, one of the few X books I have been praising (along side Jean Grey). Well six issues into this new relaunch that they (and no-one else) decided to go bi-weekly on, and they already having issues with artists. The duo that filled in this week ... ouch. Nothing horrible, but not the greatest, not for a flag-ship X book, and certainly had the rushed like hell look to it. Looked like a Rob Liefeld issue at times with poor anatomy and missing backgrounds. Just a waste is what it is.

I think, no, let me rephrase what I was going to say ... I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Alonzo was in the process of being demoted.  I know Joey Q did a lot of things to piss people off, but the guy knew how to sell comics. Axel just seems to be running Marvel into the ground with his editorial managment style.

Again guys, I say, artist may not sell the book like they use to, but they damn sure keep people on the book and if Marvel doesn't do something to stop these bad looking comics ... Not much more I can say I guess.

Also, and I don't know who ... yet  Wink but rumor (that is not really a rumor) is that Marvel is in the process of retaining a fan favorite writer that use to work for them.
Has to be Remender (maybe, but I don't see it), Brubaker (Maybe as well, but I don't know ... don't think so) or Hickman (maybe?) ... that is all I can think of, unless this writer guy goes way, way back. Hmmmm Byrne?
Hahaha, I would die!!!!
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »

X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition v1-reading!!!
Divinity II tpb
Unity v4
Bloodshot Reborn v4

Unlimited:
Gamora #1
Amazing Spider-man 22
Doctor Strange 15
Sam Wilson Captain America 15
Punisher 7
Power Fist & Iron Man Sweet Christmas
Star-Lord #1
Thanos #2
Invincible Iron man #2
Ultimates 2 #2

Also picked up:

Rebels 2-4 (forgot this was out again!!)

Action 982
Superman 25
Aquaman 25
Wonder Woman 25
Green Arrow 25
Hal Jordan & GLC 23
Super Sons 5

And yes, I noticed all my anniversary 25 issues were up a dollar for this issue...

I intend to speak at length about my read books. But, late night working calls....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:37:42 AM »

Perry...

I agree with you in all things there.

Well, I may quibble that artists still can sell larger number books. JIm Lee drew some Suicide Squad to bring people in. Ivan Reis still sets a book on fire for the arc he draws. Coipel probably helped Clone Conspiracy. Cheung on CW II (...or did I just reverse those artists?)

Anyhoo, I wholeheartedly agree that kicking artists around like they are interchangeable will severely hurt Marvel eventually.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »

Well, I may quibble that artists still can sell larger number books. JIm Lee drew some Suicide Squad to bring people in. Ivan Reis still sets a book on fire for the arc he draws. Coipel probably helped Clone Conspiracy. Cheung on CW II (...or did I just reverse those artists?)

Grin
Yeah, that last is a little backwards and a tad off as it was Chueng on C.C and was David Marquez on CWII, but I get what ya mean.  Grin And true, I will admit that a high profile artist CAN increase sales, but only to a point and only for so long, usually.  Smiley A writer just keeps the peeps  Grin
Plus, when it comes to artist pulling the sales, I think character also plays a huge part of it. With your boy Reis, whom I also really like, yes, he can put some numbers on characters like Green Lantern, but is it more because it is the combination of Reis with GL that is the main pull, more than just Reis?

Take Reis' Cyborg .... from that DC second wave of 52 titles (I forgot what they called it) ... his Cyborg #1 was the 37th ranked comic that month (sales to retailers) while the IDW/DC company crossover Star Trek/Green Lantern #1 was the 21st. And I am not trying to blast on Ivan, I do like his stuff, but he is not pulling the people into Cyborg. Of course it could be said Cyborg would have only sold half as much without him on the title and to that I say, heck yeah, probably, but DC really pushed that title as they were really pushing Cyborg as the new black hero on Justice League and Reis didn't bring him into the top 20 ... as an arbitrary number of value that really has no meaning.
 Cheesy

And yes, Jim Lee is the poster child for pulling sales and he will continue to be so, but Lee's Suicide Squad was beaten out of the number one spot for that month by the #1 issues of both All-Star Batman and Harley Quinn. Two really popular characters and once people realized Lee was only doing the backup story and that the title was not written well, at all, the title dropped to 27th (issue #4) and 35th (issue #5) just two months later, with Lee still on art. And again, the question is would Suicide Squad sold as much at first without Lee? Heck no, but his art is not keeping the numbers.

I think it is like Marvel's famous resetting to issue #1, Artists may pull people in initially, but in the long run the retention is not there. However, artists are very, very important. They are, of course. I still say they are 20% of why a book sells. The remaining, off the top of my head, as I am making this up as I type  Cheesy Grin ... character or title 45%, writer 25% and 10% company/publisher  Grin. I may have to really sit down and apply percentages to that.
 Cheesy

But bottom line, as you said we do agree basically and Marvel has crossed that line, making the characters look horrible and killing the books and also killing anything the writer has to say as, yep, artists are THAT important.
 Smiley

EDIT - I hardly feel like editing this now, after Jeff's last post in Mega, but ...

I do want to acknowledge one thing about art in comics and, more precise, its value. While I don't feel as though art can pull the readers that writing or character can, essentially, I do know that it can have the exact opposite effect. In-fact I call it the Dynamite Effect(™ ... Cheesy). I will usually just skip right over any Dynamite comics as I know, for the most part, what the art will look like. Standard popcorn stuff with no or limited visual flair. Another example of just how important art can be/is
Or EDIT 2 - also like how you saw Del Mundo's Avengers and immediately said "Nope"
 Cheesy
Yep, art can kill a book reallllll fast.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:35:35 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »

Beautifully expounded response Perry!

I don't have all that much more to add to it.

I may emphatically agree that without Reis on Cyborg, coming in at #37 would never have happened for the book. Cyborg, to me, is a character who is horribly dated. It's like he's still running on DOS, when all other computes do quantum mechanics. In a comic world where nanites can build a supermetallic armor in seconds, robotic limbs supplant lost human limbs without anyone noticing or being bulky, having an actual cyborg still exist just looks stupid. It's always why I cannot get into the character at all. (sorry, side note ; ) )

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU, OKAY!!?!?! I Learned it from ...

Grin
Thanks, really.

In a comic world where nanites can build a supermetallic armor in seconds, robotic limbs supplant lost human limbs without anyone noticing or being bulky, having an actual cyborg still exist just looks stupid. It's always why I cannot get into the character at all.

I have/had the same problem with Deathlok. Well, not Buckler's Deathlok, that had other issues  Cheesy (but I still found that cool back then) but I think you nailed why I feel the way I do about him.

(and I just accidentally typed - "I think you nailed why IO feel ..." and suddenly got sad in reminiscing about Carey's Wildcats. Good times.)
 Cry Smiley Cry Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 02:41:43 AM »

X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition v1-reading!!!
Divinity II tpb
Unity v4
Bloodshot Reborn v4

Unlimited:
Gamora #1
Amazing Spider-man 22
Doctor Strange 15
Punisher 7
Star-Lord #1
Thanos #2
Invincible Iron man #2
Ultimates 2 #2

Also picked up:

Rebels 2-3-4 (forgot this was out again!!)

Action 982
Superman 25
Aquaman 25
Wonder Woman 25
Green Arrow 25

Hal Jordan & GLC 23
Super Sons 5

East of West vol 5

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 02:46:08 AM »

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU, OKAY!!?!?! I Learned it from ...

Grin
Thanks, really.

I get this!!! I usually do say this/shout this to someone at least 1-2 month, and usually...they don't get it. Apparently, they didn't know that kids learn to smoke pot from watching their mustached father. Never forget it!!!  Cheesy

In a comic world where nanites can build a supermetallic armor in seconds, robotic limbs supplant lost human limbs without anyone noticing or being bulky, having an actual cyborg still exist just looks stupid. It's always why I cannot get into the character at all.

I have/had the same problem with Deathlok. Well, not Buckler's Deathlok, that had other issues  Cheesy (but I still found that cool back then) but I think you nailed why I feel the way I do about him.

I've always liked Deathlok, in my rationale, for that fact that some sadistic company made a killing zombie out of a murderer, and placed another dead man's 'soul' into the corpse to run it. WOW, ya know?!  Cheesy Grin Cheesy That's messed up!! So the fact he looks like a clunky cyborg is fine by me, since whoever designed doesn't really give a shit about him, so if he gets all blowed up at some point, eh, they'll try and make another!!!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 10:17:45 AM »

Another slow as hell week as I only got through three more more so far. Man I am getting back logged again!
 Angry

Wonder Woman #25
Wonder Woman / Tasmanian Devil

Grass Kings #3
- A good book, truly, but I think I am going to pass on this for awhile until I get caught up.  Cheesy Okay, okay, I mean A LITTLE MORE caught up.

Black Hammer #10

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 02:09:29 AM »

X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition v1
Divinity II tpb
Unity v4
Bloodshot Reborn v4

Unlimited:
Gamora #1
Amazing Spider-man 22
Doctor Strange 15
Punisher 7
Star-Lord #1
Thanos #2
Invincible Iron man #2
Ultimates 2 #2

Also picked up:

Rebels 2-3-4 (forgot this was out again!!)

Action 982
Superman 25
Aquaman 25
Wonder Woman 25
Green Arrow 25

Hal Jordan & GLC 23
Super Sons 5

East of West vol 5
The Fix vol 2

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 02:18:32 AM »

To expound on some things I've read...

Doctor Strange 15 - I don't know why, but this issue I had a blast reading. Super fun, really enjoyable, the Orb was really enchanting to read of. Highly enjoyed this one so much, it's an about face 180 of how I felt about the prior issue!

Sam Wilson Captain America 15 - The Misty Knight issues. Damned good, and you know it, cuz it's Misty. Great issues, with this one and the prior one with D-man - to mellow out this CWII crap all around.

Punisher 7 - I was like, why has it been so long since I read an issue of Punisher? Did I drop it? Did I...oh yeah, 6 months behind, and that means Steve Dillon's passing has affected the book. I'm glad they included the afterword that honored/remembered Dillon. Hell, I've already added the Wolverine: Origins title long ago because I was just deluging myself with Steve Dillon works (all the Punisher, naturally, Origins, a little reread of Preacher...)

PM & IF: Sweet Christmas - Ok, to admit it, I didn't read one bit of exposition dialogue from the villains, or tertiary background characters. Just Danny and Cage, and little Danielle, and the true hero at the end. Good, nay, great family vibes throughout. Very sweet indeed (but no, I would never had paid individual issue cash for this!! NO way!!! lol)

Invincible Iron Man 2 - will save for the actual thread

Amazing Spider-man 22 - will save for the actual thread

Ultimates 2 #2 -  I LOVE me the great Cosmic Marvel storylines!! Because I can't get that at all with Bendis Guardians, which, speaking of...

Gamora & Star-Lord #s 1 - this, I will make a thread for

Thanos #2 - I always continue to measure all current Thanos to that presented in the past, or represented by Jim Starlin. I do not find this...lacking. Ha!, No really, I kinda near love this!  Cool

X-O Manowar - Man, what a way to restart your universe Valian. Damned cool to read this, in over-sized no doubt. Can't wait to get around to the second volume when I got some spare change to get to it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 03:11:06 AM »

Hmmmmm. Not sure if I'm going to make it since the family is occupying my free time.

Marvel Unlimited
Champions 1
Infamous Iron Man 1
The Unworthy Thor 1
Champions 2
Avengers 1
Invincible Iron Man 1
Avengers 1.1
Thanos 1
Squadron Supreme 13
Infamous Iron Man 2
Ultimates 2 #1

Inhumans vs X-Men 0

ComiXology
Nailbiter Vol 2: Bloody Hands - Collects #6-10
Action Comics Vol 2: Welcome to the Planet - Collecting #963-966 and an introductory tale from JUSTICE LEAGUE #52
Detective Comics Vol 2: The Victim Syndicate - Collects #943-949
Red Hood & the Outlaws Vol 1: Dark Trinity - Collects #1-6
Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps 11
Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps 12
Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps 13
Image Plus 15
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:13:45 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »

Hey Hey Hey, thanks to a doctor who called and said he was delayed by traffic in getting to my scheduled appointment this morning, I was able to knock out a few more Valiant titles, including finishing the Ninjak series (until its return in November) and starting both of their newest, 4 issue minis!!

Wonder Woman #25
Wonder Woman / Tasmanian Devil

Grass Kings #3

Black Hammer #10
Ninjak #24
Ninjak #25
Ninjak #26
Ninjak #27
Secret Weapons #1
Rapture #1

Rapture #2
Shirtless Bear Fighter #1

Thanos #2 - I always continue to measure all current Thanos to that presented in the past, or represented by Jim Starlin. I do not find this...lacking. Ha!, No really, I kinda near love this!  Cool

Anything Deodato does always gets a look from me (speaking of artists drawing in the reader  Smiley) but Jeff Lemire is rapidly becoming / has become a top 3 writer for me. The dude just writes things I enjoy. Period.

I was actually shocked to find that Marvel has plans on continuing this Thanos title after Lemire's arc is done (well, it's Marvel, so not totally shocked by any poor decision they make recently) as it is going to take a miracle to get my continued reading once Lemire's run is over. As, like you, Starlin is the voice of god when Thanos in concerned and I was still, as much a fan of Lemire I am, somewhat stunned I enjoyed his take as much as I did and I can't picture than happening twice ... back-to-back especially.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:44:36 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »

Wow! Everything just dropped this week on unlimited due to Civil War 8 coming out! I have 10 books that I'm going to be reading!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS